Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa (5515 Views)

Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra: The Easiest Way To Stop Fulani Herdsmen / Welcome To Abia State - the industrial and economic hub of the east. / ANAMBRA; The LIGHT Of The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by saintohia: 11:51am On Nov 04, 2011
Good thinking Alj Harem.

Nigeria major problem is that we've never had an intelligent president. If we can have one just only once subsequent ones wld be forced 2 follow his format (note: nobody wld bother if his 4m his tribe or not b/c everybody wld be happy).   With an intelligent president only Aba & a place called Abala also in Abia close to Aba as well, in less than 10 years wld be yeilding almost same revenue if not more than oil.

Nigeria virtually is blessed with both natural resources & human skills except govt. A Chinese product is not better than Aba made product given same equipment (machine) to produce them any time any day. How much money is China presently sipping 4m humans on earth?

The question still remains, how 2 make it happen,  what's the way 4ward fellow Nigerians?
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by manny4life(m): 12:45pm On Nov 04, 2011
manchy7531:

@alj_harem

how come you have suddenly became a detribalised Nigerian or better still a PRO-IGBO

Come on, I think he means well, although, he did mention that tribal lenses should be put aside and focus on the big picture.

@OP, the FG doesn't have to do everything for you; individuals, if serious can make Anambra state into an industrial hub. Why do we have to wait on th government for everything, meanwhile, you have wealthy people investing in other countries while your own states lie in ruin?

The state govt has to own up to the responsibility first by providing the basic before investors will come to invest. If state govt cannot provide it, let them step aside and let the private companies handle it so that way development comes in.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by publisher(m): 1:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
[size=15pt]@OP: I wouldnt rush to blame federal government or Nigerians directly.
Take for example,this year,i can assure u that a lot of medium and high income earners in Nigeria will be spending Christmas in Calabar,Cross-River state. Cross River has almost no oil,and its even larger(land mass) than Anambra. It took the innovation of the likes of Donald Duke to shift Cross Rivers focus to tourism,it was after this buzz was created that FG and other private concerns began to show interest in Cross Rivers.
Anambra people and the bulk of South east have everything going for them except inspirational leadership. Sullivan Chime seems to be the only one with traces of the stuff i'm talking about,and believe me Enugu is turning into something else-in a good way. Its too early to judge Rochas of Imo,but others are useless to say the least.
Nnewi,Nkpor and Onitisha areas have potentials,let their governor take urban renewal seriously and prepare grounds for these cities modernization.
Anywhere Nigerians see good things they will chook head inside sharp sharp,without regards to tribe or religion,this i know![/size]
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by noiseless: 2:00pm On Nov 04, 2011
A chameleon remains chameleon for all his/her life,no matter how shinny it appears but still operates with many colors,that alhj_haram is nothing but evil .Let no one be deceived by him.
PointB:

Do you believe the chameleon?
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:04pm On Nov 04, 2011
Dis Guy:

these companies are not yours!! ole they are private companies hence decide where they will like to be based based on business and other reasons!

The state government should be calling private investors to their state!

Surely they are not mine but private companies do play politics with there HQ and as such can move it as it fits them
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2011
alex406:

If they should do anything in Anambra as of now,they should start with the provision of good and durable road network starting from the entry point of the state which is Onitsha. If you have been to Onitsha recently you will agree with me that they  roads are way too bad.

I think that would accompany with the movement of the those manufactuing companies.

No company would move to a place with no good road. Moreover the companies can build these roads themselves for there workers and tractors
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:09pm On Nov 04, 2011
rareman:

but why must we continue to do things upside down, you do not need a rocket scientists to analyse the problem of Nigerian[b], I believe giving state free hand to improve their states themselves is the way to go, look the highest development we ever achieved in this country was achieved when states were allowed to run their states[/b]. Let the federal government tax the states for whatever but let them be allowed to develop @ their own pace

I don't believe that at all

States can not Improve the standard of living in Nigeria. it has to start from the Top.

Think of it, if lets say, Balysea state governor is the best in the country and actually starts developing his state do you think there would still be massive influx of people and infrasturtures ?

No

People tend to move to greener pastures and as such would move to place of job oppotunities not just because of good road or good governance by just a state
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:10pm On Nov 04, 2011
brainpulse:

Do you know that was how DUBAI started and now look at what it has grown to become.

Once this industries comes, you give them low tax charges and rates on their importations, you create rooms for employment and infastructural developments, you open new man made ports even in the mainland like philipine.
And because of the low tax charges, you mandate them to build roads, schools and social infastructures in the host communities. By  this you spread development to the people.

Thank you, Yes you do understand these things
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:11pm On Nov 04, 2011
manchy7531:

@alj_harem

how come you have suddenly became a detribalised Nigerian or better still a PRO-IGBO

what are you talking about, pro-igbo As a Nigerian, I look for the best interest of Nigerians not just let say nupe or igbo people. It so happen that Igbos are Nigerians
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:18pm On Nov 04, 2011
PointB:

Ignorance is bliss, we agree!

But please stick to what you know. There is no point mixing theories with fiction, just to sound knowledgeable. Ghana does not have enough capacity to refine crude oil for themselves let alone Nigeria. As as Sept 2011 (2 months ago), they could barely get enough crude oil to refine for themselves let alone export to Nigeria. This is not unconnected to the fact that Tema Oil Refinery is bad and poor managed and riddled with rising debt profile since 2008.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ghana%20refine%20crude%20oil%20for%20nigeria&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ghanabusinessnews.com%2F2011%2F08%2F14%2Fnigeria-to-import-crude-oil-from-niger%2F&ei=zeSzTpL6DMS68gOvqt3tBA&usg=AFQjCNEAZBZihno6Lje-DOwheZoYAup3fg

http://www.mbendi.com/indy/oilg/af/gh/p0005.htm

http://www.transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697:ghana-to-supply-refined-oil-to-nigeria-by-2015&catid=72:international&Itemid=151

I am not ready for this ur chit chat

PointB:

At topic, this issue has been raised several times.  These days no one is even asking government to establish industries in Anambra and co, what Nigeria is needed is clear,  a functional deep sea port in calabar, an international airport in the SE Zone, Onitsha River Port, railway system, and of  course a stable power supply.

The rest will fall in place. Relying on government to site industries in the SE is nothing but a big distraction!

You think so ?

I thought so myself as well this time last year but things just don;t work that easy.

You see, there have to be distribution of wealth, capital and Job oppotunities as well

If we base Nigeria solely on Individualism then we are not going any where because Nigeria would not have a niche

What i mean is that, Once crude oil finishes, we do not produce anything (Manufacture) that the world knows us for

Germany- cars

Japan- cars, ships

China- electronics

Britain - skilled professionals

America - cars, corn products etc

Do you see where I am going
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
saintohia:

Good thinking Alj Harem.

Nigeria major problem is that we've never had an intelligent president. If we can have one just only once subsequent ones wld be forced 2 follow his format (note: nobody wld bother if his 4m his tribe or not b/c everybody wld be happy).   With an intelligent president only Aba & a place called Abala also in Abia close to Aba as well, in less than 10 years wld be yeilding almost same revenue if not more than oil.

Nigeria virtually is blessed with both natural resources & human skills except govt. A Chinese product is not better than Aba made product given same equipment (machine) to produce them any time any day. How much money is China presently sipping 4m humans on earth?

The question still remains, how 2 make it happen,  what's the way 4ward fellow Nigerians?

Thank you, you see my point excatly

With the world moving away from crude oil, WE need out niche in the world before it is too late.

The only way forward as of now is to try as much as posible to ALWAYS elect a good leader void of pettiness such as ethnic group zones etc
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:31pm On Nov 04, 2011
publisher:

@OP: I wouldnt rush to blame federal government or Nigerians directly.
Take for example,this year,i can assure u that a lot of medium and high income earners in Nigeria will be spending Christmas in Calabar,Cross-River state. Cross River has almost no oil,and its even larger(land mass) than Anambra. It took the innovation of the likes of Donald Duke to shift Cross Rivers focus to tourism,it was after this buzz was created that FG and other private concerns began to show interest in Cross Rivers.
Anambra people and the bulk of South east have everything going for them except inspirational leadership. Sullivan Chime seems to be the only one with traces of the stuff i'm talking about,and believe me Enugu is turning into something else-in a good way. Its too early to judge Rochas of Imo,but others are useless to say the least.
Nnewi,Nkpor and Onitisha areas have potentials,let their governor take urban renewal seriously and prepare grounds for these cities modernization.
Anywhere Nigerians see good things they will chook head inside sharp sharp,without regards to tribe or religion,this i know!

It was easy for cross river because tourism is completely different for a capital.

Tourism can easly be accomplished once you have a conducive environment. I mean any state apart from Lagos can be a torist center.

I see you point but What I am talking about here is something like Singapore in Nigeria aka anambra where the world would buy cars, electronics, CDs etc in bulk from anambra

Pay tax to anambra state and Nigeria, pay tax to lagos for shipment

Do you see where I am going with this.

A place like aba market would benefit a lot from this and more so Nigeria at large.

Instead of other poorer countries to be borrowing money from the WB to buy things, they can just come to Nigeria buy it, within the next few months it is shipped to there vairous countries.

Where refinaries can be built in Nigeria

AKA Industrial center of Nigeria/Africa

who knows, it may even over take Japan and co because Nigerians are determined people and the things to out these to play are already there, all we are waiting for is the spark

Our leaders no get brain, I no go lie
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2011
manny4life:

@OP, the FG doesn't have to do everything for you; individuals, if serious can make Anambra state into an industrial hub. Why do we have to wait on th government for everything, meanwhile, you have wealthy people investing in other countries while your own states lie in ruin?

Manny4 life, I did not say the Fg should do all these but what I mean is moving manufactuing centers to a state.

I mean the Fg is already corrupt anyway, why can't they invest there stolen loot so they can ripe the benefit of there loot ?

manny4life:

The state govt has to own up to the responsibility first by providing the basic before investors will come to invest. If state govt cannot provide it, let them step aside and let the private companies handle it so that way development comes in.

The SG can only do so much, there are somethings you still need the Federal power on.

The SG can not tell companies to move anywhere but the FG can.

Private companies you are saying are in terms of manufactuing companies right ?.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by Chyz2: 2:43pm On Nov 04, 2011
[size=13pt]‘Onitsha biggest market worldwide’[/size]

By Adimike George, Onitsha 12 hours 48 minutes ago

THE Onitsha Market in Anambra State has been described as the busiest and biggest market in the world by an American firm.

The representatives of Carlton Company, who were in the city to interact with their customers, spoke yesterday.

Leader of the team, Geoff Peters, addressed reporters in Onitsha shortly after an interaction with their customers in the market.
Peters said Onitsha had remained the company’s greatest customer in Africa, adding that the company was satisfied with the level of awareness on the need for genuine and quality products.

“We are here with our business partner, SOKKA International, who is the Carlton Distributor in West Africa. We are proud of our association with them and are happy to be able to see that markets of Nigeria are taking genuine products of our company. We are very strict in trying to stop imitation and fake products in Carlton brands,” he said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/25183-%E2%80%98onitsha-biggest-market-worldwide%E2%80%99.html
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
@op a good idea but as far as Nigeria is concerned is too way hard for us.
so many things will hinder this.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by manny4life(m): 4:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
alj_harem:

Manny4 life, I did not say the Fg should do all these but what I mean is moving manufactuing centers to a state.

I mean the Fg is already corrupt anyway, why can't they invest there stolen loot so they can ripe the benefit of there loot ?

The SG can only do so much, there are somethings you still need the Federal power on.

The SG can not tell companies to move anywhere but the FG can.

Private companies you are saying are in terms of manufactuing companies right ?.

I don't know what you still need the Federal Power on; that is the thing that bothers me, a lot of state governors do not exercise their authority. The Federal Govt cannot "DOES NOT" have jurisdiction over a state government, with that being said, any state govt can tell a company to move, how to operate and under what guidelines they will operate by i.e. if the govt issues an order.

I don't necessarily mean manufacturing companies, I meant private owned corporations. Manufacturing companies because its manufacturing will meet federal (certification, labor, funding requirements etc) and state guideline (Labor, competition, taxes, etc). Federal and State must work together because states have jurisdiction over their surrounding NOT the federal govt.

What I'm saying in essence is that the State governments MUST preside over their jurisdiction, if they have to form a consortium of Greater South-East, they should that way they will have more boundaries "excluding" interference from the government. Like @Point_B stated, when the clearer picture have taken place, every other thing will fall into place. There are things that need to be taken care of Infrastructures and Logistics ---(Rail, airports river canals and ports, highways, etc), Security etc. IMO, if there's a business consortium of the South Eastern Governors and they can come together, and work together for a common goal, they will do a lot bypassing the fed.

Take for instance, if the eastern states pull resources together to establish a rail network from the Port Harcourt Port through each states (obviously not on federal territory), that's an achievement, According to travel math, a stretch from Port Harcourt to Eastern Shore, Onitsha is about 200km. To me, that is achievable through a well established consortium. Then again I stand to be corrected
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by igbo2011(m): 5:34pm On Nov 04, 2011
Yes we need to PRODUCE PRODUCE PRODUCE . We import EVERYTHING!!! Damn that is not a good economic model. Let's industrialize not just in Anamabra but every state. More refineries more power plants and LESS IMPORTING. We need to get our own businesses and keep the CAPITAL IN NIGERIA. Capital always leave Nigeria, we need for it to stay.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by chy101: 6:48pm On Nov 04, 2011
publisher:

[size=15pt]@OP: I wouldnt rush to blame federal government or Nigerians directly.
Anywhere Nigerians see good things they will chook head inside sharp sharp,without regards to tribe or religion,this i know![/size]

Your argument is baseless and lacks intelligent analysis. Who told you that enugu is the only state getting it right? FYI enugu is presently bankrupt and needs to be annexed by Anambra if it must survive the financial fatality it is presently faced with. I think enugu need to borrow a leaf from Anambra that has continued to attract foreign direct investors who are presently pumping Billions into production plants/facility in Anambra eg. Sabmiller of South Africa, LG World of Korea presently building a world class facility in Awka to mention just two. This is the kind of news we want to be hearing and not tarring few kilometers of roads (only in urban area) like chime did in enugu though good also. The Onitsha entrance dual carriageway you mentioned has been awarded by the FG to be constructed up to Amansea boundary in Awka the state capital and construction is presently ongoing.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 9:30pm On Nov 04, 2011
manny4life:

I don't know what you still need the Federal Power on; that is the thing that bothers me, a lot of state governors do not exercise their authority. The Federal Govt cannot "DOES NOT" have jurisdiction over a state government, with that being said, any state govt can tell a company to move, how to operate and under what guidelines they will operate by i.e. if the govt issues an order.

I don't necessarily mean manufacturing companies, I meant private owned corporations. Manufacturing companies because its manufacturing will meet federal (certification, labor, funding requirements etc) and state guideline (Labor, competition, taxes, etc). Federal and State must work together because states have jurisdiction over their surrounding NOT the federal govt.

What I'm saying in essence is that the State governments MUST preside over their jurisdiction, if they have to form a consortium of Greater South-East, they should that way they will have more boundaries "excluding" interference from the government. Like @Point_B stated, when the clearer picture have taken place, every other thing will fall into place. There are things that need to be taken care of Infrastructures and Logistics ---(Rail, airports river canals and ports, highways, etc), Security etc. IMO, if there's a business consortium of the South Eastern Governors and they can come together, and work together for a common goal, they will do a lot bypassing the fed.

Take for instance, if the eastern states pull resources together to establish a rail network from the Port Harcourt Port through each states (obviously not on federal territory), that's an achievement, According to travel math, a stretch from Port Harcourt to Eastern Shore, Onitsha is about 200km. To me, that is achievable through a well established consortium. Then again I stand to be corrected

I see your point once more but To me I don't still think just ports, railways etc would do it for anambra because with all that, it does not still mean companies would go there.

I am not looking at it from "south eastern states chipping in" the amount of revenue would amount to nothing. rather I see more of a multicultural, multi-regional economic growth which can be achieved if Nigeria pull her Brains together and make a manufacturing capital.

You have a point on the port harcourt thing which would infact add trade as I suggested on the previous page. In fact thanks for that point.

I would also like to add that if anambra is a manufacturing/industrial hub of africa, different Muiltnations would want to buy from the state and can ALWAYS rest or sleep in near by states like enugu or even cross river.

thanks for you explanation
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by Dede1(m): 10:00pm On Nov 04, 2011
The federal government has monopoly on ports (air and sea), interstate roads and somewhat electricity. It has colossally failed in such endeavors. In addition, federal and state governments are responsible for water resources and electricity both have failed too. Any attempt to engage in activities enabling economic vitality of the entire region without good REW-Road, Electricity and Water shall amount to practical joke.

When I look at the so-called Port Harcourt International airport, I feel the ugly nature of marginalization of certain section of the country from the center. It is even worst to perceive certain ethnicities from this section of the country had silly thought the neglect of the region was directed exclusively to their neighbor. I guess stupidity can not be cured.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 10:13pm On Nov 04, 2011
Dede1:

The federal government has monopoly on ports (air and sea), interstate roads and somewhat electricity. It has colossally failed in such endeavors. In addition, federal and state governments are responsible for water resources and electricity both have failed too. Any attempt to engage in activities enabling economic vitality of the entire region without good REW-Road, Electricity and Water shall amount to practical joke.

When I look at the so-called Port Harcourt International airport, I feel the ugly nature of marginalization of certain section of the country from the center. It is even worst to perceive certain ethnicities from this section of the country had silly thought the neglect of the region was directed exclusively to their neighbor. I guess stupidity can not be cured.

do you not think that would come if those companies are located there or move there

would the industries not create those amenities you mentioned since there worker would be there ?
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by Dede1(m): 10:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
alj_harem:

do you not think that would come if those companies are located there or move there

would the industries not create those amenities you mentioned since there worker would be there ?

It is not the function of privately owned industries to engage in constructions of roads and other social amenities in town or country. When such occasion happens, the private companies could decide who uses the roads and amenities or not. In order to remove any silly ambiguity of who or what owns the public passageway, the government of the people takes responsibility for providing such enabling factor to the economy.

In developed countries, governments will build a throughway and declare certain section along the road an industrial park
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem3: 11:16pm On Nov 04, 2011
Dede1:

It is not the function of privately owned industries to engage in constructions of roads and other social amenities in town or country. When such occasion happens, the private companies could decide who uses the roads and amenities or not. In order to remove any silly ambiguity of who or what owns the public passageway, the government of the people takes responsibility for providing such enabling factor to the economy.

In developed countries, governments will build a thorough way and declare certain section along the raod an industrial park

Very intelligent post and you are correct but the point I was trying to make was that regardless of the government as manny4life stated anambra can still be the Industrial hub of Nigeria/africa if those private manufactuing companies move there. I know it is not the job of the private company but Just like every other company, they have to invest in the community they manufacture in.

This may come in small packages such as a road leading to the factory or Just clean water for there workers and as such the people around the community would invest in.

Talking about the government Yes we still need there help but I know anambra/ Igbo people to be industrious people and I know/such that if these things are put in place, anambra/ Nigeria can truly get there.

You see now, I see a bigger picture of Nigeria and what are her advantage strength and weakness. Well this is one of her strength that we are not capitalising on.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by manny4life(m): 11:48pm On Nov 04, 2011
Dede1:

In developed countries, governments will build a thorough way and declare certain section along the raod an industrial park

Exactly but you have to look at things into certain consideration. Like I stated before, it's the sole responsibility of the state govt to provide the basic amenities, however, let's call spade a spade, we are not in the west. It's obvious that the state govt rather than pulling their resources together, they're interested in the national cake; development WILL NOT come that way. For instance, you mentioned REW (Road, Electric and Water).

Good point (amenities) like I talked about, in the part of the country where I stay stating with roads, the toll roads are built through a partnership contract with private firms, or solely govt owned. I can give you examples in my city if you wish where the govt has partnered with local corporations. Then again, I agree with the above you stated.

On the issue of Electricity, I use Dominion Electric Power (privately held company), that should tell you the rest. Then again, the company is bound by Virginia law NOT to decide who use it or NOT; since they operate in VA, it's an Equal Opportunity Electricity for all so is Pepco serving the District of Colombia. Dominion, don't just increase their bill, they follow procedures such as submitting a request before the state assembly, obviously they will approve it, and then they have a public hearing, it goes through a process before finally increasing just $0.03 per KwH.

Water, we know that this can either be provided by the county treatment facility or supplied by local company who have water treatment plants. The company transmits the water on behalf of the county. The treatment plants owned by the company get their payment directly from county or company bills customers directly.

In other words, I strongly believe that state govt can work harder to provide these amenities and if they cannot provide them, let the state govt allow firms to provide them but let the govt as well regulate them to make sure that companies are not deviating from their contracts. Then again, please correct me if I'm wrong or off course, grin smiley
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by ak47mann(m): 12:50am On Nov 05, 2011
Dede1:

well how else can one put it very articulated cool
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by ArQuAbOy(m): 6:37am On Nov 05, 2011
Well said
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by Dede1(m): 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2011
manny4life:

Exactly but you have to look at things into certain consideration. Like I stated before, it's the sole responsibility of the state govt to provide the basic amenities, however, let's call spade a spade, we are not in the west. It's obvious that the state govt rather than pulling their resources together, they're interested in the national cake; development WILL NOT come that way. For instance, you mentioned REW (Road, Electric and Water).

Good point (amenities) like I talked about, in the part of the country where I stay stating with roads, the toll roads are built through a partnership contract with private firms, or solely govt owned. I can give you examples in my city if you wish where the govt has partnered with local corporations. Then again, I agree with the above you stated.

On the issue of Electricity, I use Dominion Electric Power (privately held company), that should tell you the rest. Then again, the company is bound by Virginia law NOT to decide who use it or NOT; since they operate in VA, it's an Equal Opportunity Electricity for all so is Pepco serving the District of Colombia. Dominion, don't just increase their bill, they follow procedures such as submitting a request before the state assembly, obviously they will approve it, and then they have a public hearing, it goes through a process before finally increasing just $0.03 per KwH.

Water, we know that this can either be provided by the county treatment facility or supplied by local company who have water treatment plants. The company transmits the water on behalf of the county. The treatment plants owned by the company get their payment directly from county or company bills customers directly.

In other words, I strongly believe that state govt can work harder to provide these amenities and if they cannot provide them, let the state govt allow firms to provide them but let the govt as well regulate them to make sure that companies are not deviating from their contracts. Then again, please correct me if I'm wrong or off course, grin smiley

Bros, I enjoyed the well presented and articulated facts with such example as Dominion Electric Power or PEPCO. Sometimes we tend to forget who is actually at the other end of our deliberation. We are talking about Nigeria and certain states that recently sacked good workers because of the crap known as “state of origin”. Hell will freeze over before Nigeria could create conducive meeting points of Inter-State laws as found in USA.

Amambra State, with Nnewi in particular, has shown example what individual efforts could bring to the economy of a nation. However, both state and federal governments in Nigeria have dropped the ball in providing leads and encouragements. Many flaming lights have been blown off in Nigeria because of the endemic bigotry at the highest and lowest places in Nigeria. I am often amused when people think tribalism is a lesser evil than corruption in Nigeria. The alleged purchase of vehicles from China instead Innoson is a clear case that would have led to sacking of certain individuals in countries heading to the right direction.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ugly nature of tribal practices and its manifestation hence marginalization of certain section of the country was the amalgam of this thread. Nigerians lacked sincerity and would rather foolishly tow along the rudderless country such as Nigeria than embrace a practical change. Everything done in Nigeria has no essence of unity yet we naively pontificate about growth and greatness of the nation.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by houvest: 12:53pm On Nov 05, 2011
alj_ harem wrote:

1. The administrative capital- Abuja
2. The commercial/business capital - Lagos
3. Manufacturing/ science and technology capital - Anambra

This way, revenues are WELL distributed round the country
There would be more population shift. I mean Lagos would be de-congested along side Abuja and other cities and states surrounding Lagos and Abuja.
More Jobs created and equally distributed around the country. Thus equal opportunities

Incredible idea from Alhaji. Is this the same Alhaji Harem or another? However this is a wonderful idea. Nigeria can take a page from the playbook of S. Africa.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by aljharem(m): 8:56am On May 06, 2012
Nigeria is not making any headway soon unless they redistribute her wealth and population. Innoson has already set the pace for Anambra along side other companies.

I don talk my own.

The more Nigeria keep concentrating everything in Lagos and Abuja while we keep giving unprecedented amount of money to ND states in the name of oil producing, then we are not making any head way.

1. Clean up the Niger-delta

2. Make Anambra a manufacturing centre because of the strategic location near the niger bank for easy transport and also the people in anambra are very creative.

3. Repair or upgrade the Port-harcourt port.

These are the things Nigerians are meant to be doing rather than just wasting money on some states, wasting her talents and time.

1 Like

Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by amosy007: 10:02am On May 06, 2012
I dnt think this is gonna work, best they can do is to start regional government in which each region can start developing their regions with their resources and little help from federal govermnent.... Buh all these move companies to one state or region aint gona work... If all companies move to abi what abt other states? What abt middle beath etc... Besides most of dis companies are privately owned and they are the only one that decide where their hq or company should be located
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by investnow2013: 11:16am On Dec 08, 2013
chy101:

Your argument is baseless and lacks intelligent analysis. Who told you that enugu is the only state getting it right? FYI enugu is presently bankrupt and needs to be annexed by Anambra if it must survive the financial fatality it is presently faced with. I think enugu need to borrow a leaf from Anambra that has continued to attract foreign direct investors who are presently pumping Billions into production plants/facility in Anambra eg. Sabmiller of South Africa, LG World of Korea presently building a world class facility in Awka to mention just two. This is the kind of news we want to be hearing and not tarring few kilometers of roads (only in urban area) like chime did in enugu though good also. The Onitsha entrance dual carriageway you mentioned has been awarded by the FG to be constructed up to Amansea boundary in Awka the state capital and construction is presently ongoing.
Re: Can The Fg Make Anambra The Industrial And Technological Hub Of Nigeria/africa by investnow2013: 11:17am On Dec 08, 2013
Chyz*:
[size=13pt]‘Onitsha biggest market worldwide’[/size]

By Adimike George, Onitsha 12 hours 48 minutes ago

THE Onitsha Market in Anambra State has been described as the busiest and biggest market in the world by an American firm.

The representatives of Carlton Company, who were in the city to interact with their customers, spoke yesterday.

Leader of the team, Geoff Peters, addressed reporters in Onitsha shortly after an interaction with their customers in the market.
Peters said Onitsha had remained the company’s greatest customer in Africa, adding that the company was satisfied with the level of awareness on the need for genuine and quality products.

“We are here with our business partner, SOKKA International, who is the Carlton Distributor in West Africa. We are proud of our association with them and are happy to be able to see that markets of Nigeria are taking genuine products of our company. We are very strict in trying to stop imitation and fake products in Carlton brands,” he said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/25183-%E2%80%98onitsha-biggest-market-worldwide%E2%80%99.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ACN To Test Merger With Other Oppositions With Anambra 2014 Gov Poll-Ngige / Remembering The Poor Of The World / GOV. Amechi Escape Death. Breaking NEWS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.