Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,939 members, 7,814,179 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers (10570 Views)

Yobe Deputy Governor's Son, Two Others Die In Road Crash / Lagos Boat Capsize: Pregnant Woman Dies, 16 Missing In (photos) / 24 Persons Cheat Death As Boats Capsize In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by NaijaCover(m): 8:44am On Jan 10
Over 20 persons, including four siblings, have died when two wooden boats capsized in Rivers State.

The tragic incident occurred on Andoni waterways in Andoni Local Government Area of the State on Tuesday night, January 9, 2024, when the boats were heading for Bonny, a neighbouring coastal council area.

It was gathered that over 25 people were in the two boats when they were struck by a heavy wave. A rescue team team came hours later and rescued some victims, including one Mr. Ayayi Promise and his wife, Rose Promise (both pictured)

Sadly, the couple's four children and little grandchild drowned.

Executive chairman of Andoni LGA, Erastus Awortu, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Wednesday, January 10, expressed rude shock over the tragedy and condoled the families and communities of victims.

Awortu regretted that the fatal accident occurred after successful festive celebrations, including unity carnivals in the council area.

He noted the council’s efforts to save those who were alive, offer first aid assistance to the injured and recover bodies of the dead from the river; as he promised to cushion the pains of the deceased families and communities in their trying moments.

Furthermore, the council chairman harped on the need for boat operators to insist on total compliance of all passengers to safety measures, and warned against night travels by sea.

“We received with rude shock and deep pain a disturbing report that over 20 persons from Andoni are feared dead in boat mishap involving two Andoni/Bonny-bound boats which occurred within the Andoni waterways on Tuesday January, 9, 2024,” the statement read.

“Upon receiving the sad development, we immediately dispatched our team to join the first responders on rescue mission at the scene of the incident in a bid to salvage the situation.

"We are closely monitoring the situation to offer further support especially to give the survivors necessary medical attention and recover the remains of the dead from the sea.

"Our hearts go out to the Families and Communities of victims of this unfortunate disaster especially Ngo Town, Ataba, Isiama and other Communities whose loved ones where involved in the boat mishap.

"We share in their pain and trauma, our prayers and thoughts are with them in this moment of grief. We will do whatever we can as a Local Government to reduce the burden of grief of the bereaved families and communities.

"While we bemoan the boat mishap which came at a time when our people were still basking in the mood of a successful festive season in Andoni, we call on operators of water transportation in Andoni to ensure strict compliance of all passengers to safety rules.

“We also warn the operators to desist from embarking on night journey on sea."

Source: https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2024/1/four-siblings-and-16-others-die-as-two-boats-capsize-in-rivers-2.html

1 Share

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by NaijaCover(m): 8:45am On Jan 10
What Is Truly The Problem In This Country?

Don't Forget, NaìjaCover Bring This Sad News

2 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by KingMack(m): 8:46am On Jan 10
What horrible way to start the year..may their souls rest in peace 🕊️ 🕊️

3 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by NaijaCover(m): 8:48am On Jan 10
KingMack:
What horrible way to start the year..may their souls rest in peace 🕊️ 🕊️

See More Bad News @ www.naijacöver. com
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Ireportlive: 8:50am On Jan 10
Life jacket

12 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by KingMack(m): 8:51am On Jan 10
post=127868969:

See More Bad News @ www.naijacöver. com

Oga I no dey see any more bad news😏

6 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Jking20(m): 8:52am On Jan 10
May the Lord welcome them home in peace.

1 Like

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by NaijaCover(m): 8:53am On Jan 10
KingMack:

Oga I no dey see any more bad news😏

Are You Fighting With NaíjaCover

1 Like

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by TANID(m): 8:58am On Jan 10
post=127868927:
What Is Truly The Problem In This Country?

Don't Forget, NaìjaCover Bring This Sad News
again with bad news

2 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by NaijaCover(m): 8:59am On Jan 10
TANID:
naija-cover again with bad news

Don't You Want Me To See Food Take Chop?
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by 24SEVEN: 9:05am On Jan 10
Why travel in a wooden boat at Night.

RIP to them.

4 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by seandurse(m): 9:46am On Jan 10
angry
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Trill1(m): 9:47am On Jan 10
So sad.
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by marv1: 9:47am On Jan 10
Rip
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by nstore: 9:47am On Jan 10
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by emmabest2000(m): 9:47am On Jan 10
New year tragedy

God have mercy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by EdiskyHarry: 9:48am On Jan 10
Mostly Overloaded boat with no life jacket onboard.
Really sad.
R. I. P to them.

2 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:48am On Jan 10
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by adesegun121(m): 9:48am On Jan 10
Sad news
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Necrophagia: 9:49am On Jan 10
Where's their bodies??

Proof or I don't believe this
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by jmoore(m): 9:51am On Jan 10
No life jackets.

Blame innocent village people and mamiwota.

1 Like

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by babaRUNtinz(m): 9:52am On Jan 10
My own better... Thank God.

RIP tó the lost souls
Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Timoleon(m): 9:53am On Jan 10
That couple go dey curse people wey rescue them.

2 Likes

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by joelison(m): 9:54am On Jan 10
Nigerians still ply the water ways without life jacket

1 Like

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Indek: 9:56am On Jan 10
Please dear people of Nairaland forgive me,
Have mercy on me, if I can help myself I won't be here begging for your help, please come to my aid, I've been seeking assistance on nairaland.
I'm  celestine am 32 year of age frm Enugu State Awgu L G A.I have a spine injury @ neck that has have keeps me indoor mostly for d past 16 years.It also affected my hand making me not able to use my finger normally i.e I can't pick up thing from floor.
my problem now is that life has been very difficult for us I and my aged mom.to provide feeding and some medicine is hard,
I don't have anything doing for now.living with pains and bed sore on both Buttocks and continual urine Infection,Not able to Go for
routine hospital visit due lack of funds.
Please I am pleading to well meaning Nigerians come to our aid, my mom has been sick for long due to complications of poorly manage dia-betes and BP.
I'm asking for your financial help to enable go for medical, the last doctor i see said I need to do MRI scan test, which I don't have the funds for now,pls no matter how
Small it will enable us get some medicine,food and other basic items for my daily SCI cares.
I depend on some daily medical supplies for survival pls I need your help.
Acct :

Celestine
First Bank
Location: Nkpor anambra state.am available for video call/physical verification my phone number and address is not hidden. Watch the video below to confirm .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLoJF8Q_6zE

please come to my aid I don't have any other choice, I'm not a scammer if to say life was a little bit easy for me I won't be doing this always I can prove my condition beyond any reasonable doubt. one of the document below is my hospital file not a receipt. thanks and remain blessed

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Demigod22: 9:56am On Jan 10
Rest in peace to the departed souls.

Andoni, the water is too big. The first time I travelled to Bonny island through Bodo city in Gokana, I was terrified by the water. I hope they work on that road to reduce this monopoly of water transportation to Bonny.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Siblings And 16 Others Die As Two Boats Capsize In Rivers by Oceanjagaban: 9:57am On Jan 10
What a sin thing!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Take Chocolate Bar In Hand Luggage? / FRENCH TOURIST VISA : Help Needed / The Oman Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.