Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye (15123 Views)

Olukoyede: If I Can Go After My Kinsman Olu Agunloye, Why Not Yahaya Bello? / Obasanjo Offers To Testify Against Agunloye In $2.3bn Mambilla Arbitration / Dr. Olu Agunloye Is Wanted By EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by yashau(m): 1:30pm On Jan 10
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned the former Minister of Power and Steel, Mr Olu Agunloye, before Justice Donatus Okorowo of the Federal High court, over allegations of fraud.
Mr Agunloye was brought before the court on Wednesday where he pleaded not guilty to the charges read against him.

The Judge ordered that he be remanded in Kuje Correctional center, pending when the bail would be granted.

The EFCC in December 2023, declared Agunloye wanted on an alleged case of forgery and corruption. In a communique shared by the Commission on X and its website, the former minister’s image was displayed with a message urging the public to provide information that could lead to his arrest.

Shortly after the EFCC’s alert, Agunloye was apprehended and detained.

Digging deeper into the case, it was discovered that the minister who served under President Olusegun Obasanjo’s government (1999-2003), was being quizzed in connection with the Mambilla project.

Obasanjo had accused him of fraudulently awarding the contract for the project without the Federal Executive Council (FEC) approval. But Agunloye denied the accusations and claimed the former president was distorting facts.
Rights, and the pursuit of Justice

Agunloye’s travails generated a lot of reactions from Nigerians. Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka while weighing-in on the matter, questioned the EFCC’s action.
In his statement titled – “In pursuit of justice, productivity, under the rule of law,” Soyinka argued that the practice of citizen detention at the whim of either religious blackmail or secular arrogation demands curtailment at source, most especially when exercised in defiance of the law, and the pronouncements of its agencies.

“The immediate provocation for these reflections is the ongoing predicament of a former Minister of Power, Dr. Olu Agunloye, currently detained by the EFCC, in total contempt of sense and justice, or indeed, basic humane considerations. We shall not go into the merit or demerits of the charges raised against him over a 16-year-old project that bears the name Mambilla. –that is the business of the law courts,” Soyinka wrote.

“Our concern at this moment is however only partially on the basis of individual fundamental human rights. Most fortuitously, the detention of any former public servant under circumstances such as Agunloye also provokes the question: how is public interest – such as the pursuit of justice – served by such an arbitrary exercise of power?’’

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/01/10/breaking-efcc-arraigns-former-minister-of-power-and-steel-olu-agunloye/

8 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by yashau(m): 1:31pm On Jan 10
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by naija4life247: 1:37pm On Jan 10
Tinubu doing wonders without making noise

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by davades(m): 1:54pm On Jan 10
Na wa o , jail anybody no gree for anybody

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by gbaskiboy: 1:55pm On Jan 10
Why are Nigerians synonymous with crime?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:55pm On Jan 10
Corruption must die in our darling nation,
Whether the thieves and looters like it or not.

For the bad and corrupt politicians since 1960 up till present that took our darling nation 100 years back by blind looting and stealing.
They will never go Scot free in their looting and criminal lifestyle, terrible end await them all......including their supporters.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Emman08: 1:56pm On Jan 10
Nigerians we need to take a hard look at ourselves about this corruption thing. You can't travel outside this country on your green passport and people won't look at you funny once they realise you're Nigerian.

Why do seemingly incorruptible people become terrible looters once they have the opportunity? Do we even think of the cost to our name, reputation and even children?

If the temptation to steal is too much, how about we put safeguards that prevent stealing or at least keep it to a bare minimum? This has gone beyond embarrassing now.

12 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by youngsahito(m): 1:56pm On Jan 10
Malami and oda ministerial thieves should be invited too.

11 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by citygarden(m): 1:56pm On Jan 10
Tinubu no gree for anybody this 2024. Since 1999, omo Tinubu is real night and

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Slurity(m): 1:56pm On Jan 10
JAGABAN IS DEALING WITH ANYBODY. Tinubu is following 2024 motto. NO GREE FOR ANYBODY. SOMEBODY SHOULD WARN DIAZINI AHEAD

20 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by victorDanladi: 1:57pm On Jan 10
Emman08:
Nigerians we need to take a hard look at ourselves about this corruption thing. You can't travel outside this country on your green passport and people won't look at you funny once they realise you're Nigerian.

Why do seemingly incorruptible people become terrible looters once they have the opportunity?
Its starts from me and you.

Taking FAKE medical report and certificate to NYSC to get exeat

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by orikoku: 1:57pm On Jan 10
Is like Tinubu is doing under G work in the country. All stolen funds must be recovered.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Emman08: 1:58pm On Jan 10
victorDanladi:

Did you take fake medical report to get exemption from NYSC?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by victorDanladi: 2:00pm On Jan 10
Emman08:

Did you take fake medical report to get exemption from NYSC?
I am a doctor who had the opportunity to review most of those certificates and reports.
I cry for the country. 50%of the graduates went ahead to forge signature of the HOD that sent me!

I only used that as an example.A sarcasm!

11 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by DMerciful(m): 2:01pm On Jan 10
Don't be deceived, corruption cannot fight corruption!

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by DMerciful(m): 2:02pm On Jan 10
Why are you guys perpetually gullible? This is Bubu's template being repeated. Rinse and repeat!

The main corrupt people like Ganduje, Sirika, Tunde Sabiu will not be touched
naija4life247:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Richtaiwo: 2:02pm On Jan 10
angry
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by ShoeGetSize: 2:02pm On Jan 10
Yes he is dealing with everyone and everything, including the value of the Naira which is now more worthless than used toilet paper and cost of living which is getting worse with each passing day.
Slurity:
JAGABAN IS DEALING WITH ANYBODY. Tinubu is following 2024 motto. NO GREE FOR ANYBODY. SOMEBODY SHOULD WARN DIAZINI AHEAD

You're so right. If I was the president of Nigeria and the Naira was trading at 1,200 to a dollar under my watch, I would shout it from the roof top. Thumbv is just dulling.

naija4life247:

Be careful what you wish for. If corruption has to die, a lot of criminals wil die too. Like retired drug dealers who use bullion van to carry looted money around.

post=127873915:

For the bad and corrupt politicians since 1960 up till present that took our darling nation 100 years back by blind looting and stealing.
They will never go Scot free in their looting and criminal lifestyle, terrible end await them all......including their supporters.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by BigDawsNet: 2:02pm On Jan 10
Is like Effc is sweeping the country...

God bless the agency

Goodwork
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Emman08: 2:03pm On Jan 10
victorDanladi:

I am a doctor who had the opportunity to review most of those certificates.
I cry for the country. 50%of the graduates went ahead to forge signature of the HOD that sent me!

I only used that as an example.A sarcasm!

Pardon me. Your example seemed awfully specific but yeah, that's the extent of the corruption. I'm in the humanitarian/NGO sector and I see international NGOs receive massive sums but spend next to nothing on beneficiaries.

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Kingosytex(m): 2:03pm On Jan 10
post=127873915:

Buhari and his gang of thieves ran Nigeria to the ground.
They printed and looted trillions with nothing to show for it.
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Dyfynezz12(m): 2:03pm On Jan 10
I hope they will be tangible results
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Babalegba(m): 2:05pm On Jan 10
Blackfire:
Na dem

Accomodator
Your post looks like name checking to me .The tsar of nairaland said it's not allowed anymore.

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Houseofglam7(f): 2:05pm On Jan 10
Hmmmmmmm
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by maxiuc(m): 2:05pm On Jan 10
cheesy

Miele kyari

Inec chairman

If efcc no touch this agency then forget about it
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by sheunsheun(m): 2:05pm On Jan 10
victorDanladi:

Putting a money that is not yours as proof of funds to japa🔥

4 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Risingblue008(m): 2:08pm On Jan 10
The heat is on
Fasten ur seat bet
It's gonna be a long ride
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Gseokii: 2:09pm On Jan 10

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Blackfire(m): 2:10pm On Jan 10
Babalegba:
Your post looks like name checking to me .The tsar of nairaland said it's not allowed anymore.

Omo egba bo ni ?

How is abeokuta today... this year go jell..

To the topic ... crime dosent pay...

I have told seun to sell NL to me for 8 billions but no response...
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by Classicalman(m): 2:10pm On Jan 10
What of Malami and Kyari?
Re: EFCC Arraigns, Remands Former Minister Of Power And Steel, Olu Agunloye by IPIGSRHYPO: 2:11pm On Jan 10
Obasanjo is lying.
How can a minister award such contract without the knowledge of the President. Baba Iyabo is just trying to make himself look saintly like he always does.
I don't trust him for a second.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Delta Women Protest Destruction Of Their Crops By Fulani Herdsmen (Pics) / 13 States Attracted $ 5.3bn (n1.9tn) Investments In The Last Quarer Of 2017 / Akwa Ibom State Publish List Of Applicants For Interview (econs Teachers Recrtm)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.