Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation (13168 Views)

Godwin Obaseki Congratulates Philip Shaibu On His 54th Birthday. / Abonnema Community Celebrates 54th Year Of Libration From Biafra By Nigeria / Patience Jonathan Dancing At Her 54th Birthday Party At The Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by FreeStuffsNG: 4:12pm On Jan 10
The University of Lagos says a total of 340 students will be graduating with first class at its 54th convocation scheduled for Jan. 17.

The Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Folasade Ogunsola, disclosed this at a news conference to announce activities lined up for the ceremony on Wednesday, in Lagos.

According to her, the 340 are among the overall 17,464 students that will graduate during the period.

She noted that David Akanmu, from the Faculty of Engineering, had emerged the overall best graduating student, with a perfect score of 5.00 CGPA.

According to her, Ibrahim Quadri of the Faculty of Management Sciences, with a CGPA of 4.94, is the best graduating student in Humanities.

Giving a breakdown of statistics of the overall graduating students, Ogunsola noted that 10,578 of them would receive first degrees, while 6,886 others, would be honoured with the postgraduate degrees.

The don further explained that of the 340 that would be honoured with the first class degree, a total of 97 of them are from Management Sciences, with 57 from the Faculty of Science.

She added that 47 others are from the Faculty of Engineering.

Ogunsola said there were 39 distinctions from the Faculties of Pharmacy, Basic Medical Sciences and Clinical Sciences,

“Of the total number of distinctions posted, 24 of them were from the Faculty of Pharmacy.

“Furthermore, from the total number of graduating students, a total of 3,374, will be conferred with the Second Class upper degrees, while 4,547 others will be admitted in the Second Class lower division.

“We have 1,832 others graduating in the 3rd Class division, 188 with Pass and 250 others with unclassified degrees from the Faculties of Pharmacy, Basic and Clinical Sciences,” she stated.

Speaking further, the vice chancellor noted that of the 6,886 postgraduate degrees, a total of 465 would be awarded postgraduate diplomas, 6,266 are graduating with Masters, out of which 377 posted distinctions.

“Most exciting is that 31 of the Master’s degree graduates are international students, all with MSc degrees, who were supported by World Bank grant through the African Centre of Excellence for Drug Research, Herbal Medicine Development and Regulatory Science (ACEDHERS).

“The centre Director, Dr Bola Ademilua, together with her team, worked extremely hard, to achieve this.

“This is the first time we will have such a harvest of international students at one convocation in the history of this university and this further reiterates and validates the aggressive internationalisation drive of this administration and previous administrations.

“This year too, 155 graduands will be awarded the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree in various disciplines. The overall best Ph.D. Thesis award for this year, which is also the best PhD in the Sciences, goes to Aminat Olawunmi Ige, with a Ph.D. in Mathematics.

“The best Ph.D in the Humanities goes to Issa Akanji Afedokun, with a Ph.D. in Private and Property Law,” she said.

According to her, the university of Lagos Business School will be graduating its first set of students as an autonomous school for the first time this year.

Ogunsola noted that in repositioning the business school to be more globally competitive, management had unbundled it from the School of Postgraduate Studies.

“So, it now has its own recognised certificate. A total of 62 students will be graduating from the Business School this year and the overall best graduating student is Abiola Oluyemisi ITAKPE, with a CGPA of 4.84. She obtained the Master of Business Administration.

“Let me seize this opportunity to thank members of Senate, staff and all stakeholders for their commitment and loyalty to UNILAG despite the challenges of last year.

“The University recorded many significant wins despite our challenges, especially successes in the quality and quantum of research and grants, improved collaborations and partnerships with other universities and industry within and outside Nigeria, as well as exchange programmes for staff and students,” she stated.

Ogunsola said that no fewer than four visually challenged students were among the graduands.

The vice chancellor stated that in pursuance of the ‘FUTURE READY AGENDA’ of the institution, management had made firm strides in growing its finances, infrastructure, reputation and manpower, adding that 2023 was one of consolidation, seed sowing and growth.

Speaking further on the activities lined up for the ceremony, Ogunsola stated that there would be a special Jumat service on Friday, Jan. 12 at the institution’s Central Mosque.

She said that there would be the opening of an exhibition on Monday, Jan. 15, to showcase and celebrate inventions and innovative ideas of students and faculty members.

“There will be no commissioning of projects at this convocation, as the commissioning of the new 484 bed hostel donated by Chief of Staff to the President, Rt. Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila was commissioned on Jan. 3, by the Hon. Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas.

“At 12:00 noon on same day, the Convocation Lecture titled: ‘Decolonizing African Higher Education for Transformational Development’ will be delivered by Prof. Toyin Falola a distinguished professor of History at the University of Texas at Austin U.S..

“Dr. Yemi Ogunbiyi, Chairman of Tanus and one of the most successful Managing Directors of Daily Times and former Pro-Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (O.A.U) will chair the occasion.

“The congregation for the award of first degrees, diplomas, certificates, and prizes to graduating students across all faculties and the Distance Learning Institute (DLI), will take place in morning and afternoon sessions, on Tuesday, Jan. 16 and Wednesday, Jan. 17.

“On Thursday, Jan. 18, Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters, and Ph.D. degrees including DBA and EMBA will be conferred on graduates of the School of Postgraduate Studies and the University of Lagos Business School (ULBS),” she stated.

The vice chancellor noted that the highlight of the ceremony would be the conferment of honorary doctorate degrees in recognition of personalities who had distinguished themselves by significantly contributing to scholarship and societal development in various fields.

She said that this year’s ceremony would witness the award of degrees to three of such persons, including Prof. Toyin Falola, Phyllis Kanki, a professor of Immunology at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health in Boston.

Ogunsola said that Kanki was the first person to isolate HIV2 which causes a milder form of AIDS that was more commonly found in West Africa.

“She has contributed significantly to Medical Education, HIV research and building research capacity across Nigeria, and Africa.

“Also to be honoured is Attahiru Muhammadu Jega, a professor of Political Science, a sound intellectual, an astute administrator with a strong sense of ethics, who revolutionized Nigeria’s electoral process and conducted an internationally acclaimed free and fair election,” she said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/unilag-to-graduate-379-first-class-students-at-54th-convocation/#google_vignette

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by FreeStuffsNG: 4:13pm On Jan 10
“Most exciting is that 31 of the Master’s degree graduates are international students, all with MSc degrees, who were supported by World Bank grant through the African Centre of Excellence for Drug Research, Herbal Medicine Development and Regulatory Science (ACEDHERS).

Ogunsola said there were 39 distinctions from the Faculties of Pharmacy, Basic Medical Sciences and Clinical Sciences,

“Of the total number of distinctions posted, 24 of them were from the Faculty of Pharmacy.

UNILAG to the world! The University of First Choice and the Nation's Pride. This is the benefit of having a very high admission standard and rigorous merit-driven system in UNILAG.
That graduating Faculty of Pharmacy set must be a very hot set of Geniuses! 24 distinctions!Wow!! shocked

Congratulations to all the graduands and the 3 Distinguished Honorary doctorate awardees.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

Advancedman:

Yet the country will not feel the impact of just 1 out of 379!
Smh. It shows that you are never in the circle of these high performing excellent people. They are rare so I am not surprised that you don't know them.

One of them is Temi Popoola who got appointed as the GMD, NGX Plc with effect from Jan 1, 2024.

He joined NGX in 2021 and within 2 years became the Group Managing Director and CEO!

Temi Popoola finished with First Class ,Chemical Engineering, University of Lagos (UNILAG)
https://www.nairaland.com/7952503/ngx-group-names-temi-popoola

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by Richtaiwo: 4:23pm On Jan 10
CGPA of 5.00 in Engineering? David Akanmu is the real genius here. How did he do it? As in, he got As in all the courses from 100 to 500 level. Project, IT, Lab, workshop, Engineering Drawing and some other courses where A is a mirage.

106 Likes 8 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by Lanre4uonly(m): 4:39pm On Jan 10
Congratulations to the graduands.

12 Likes

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by tinacrl01(m): 4:39pm On Jan 10
So
Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by bantilosha: 4:40pm On Jan 10
Graduates with empty brains

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by TheMensch(m): 4:41pm On Jan 10
Congratulations to all the graduands.
I rep academic excellence.
Congratulations once again.
I wish you success in your different careers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by braine(m): 4:41pm On Jan 10
Wawu... the dude made 5.0 look easy.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by popweezy(m): 4:42pm On Jan 10
First class aint easy

10 Likes

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by Coder2Client(m): 4:43pm On Jan 10
FreeStuffsNG:

UNILAG to the world! The University of First Choice and the Nation's Pride.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

What's their course of study?
Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by BigDickProblems: 4:43pm On Jan 10
How someone will graduate with 5.0 CGPA in a Nigerian university baffles me. Somehow it feels fake.

I don't really believe it.

Before you come for me, I graduated with 1st class and was the top of my class in Engineering as well.

And it's always from this particular school. I feel they just inflate their students result.

How can you have 5.0 CGPA after Technical Drawing, Thermodynamics, Fluid mechanics, ODE, Engineering Maths, Statics, Dynamics etc, and none of them gave you a B? Haba

That 5.0CGPA in Engineering is fake.

In 2019, the best graduating law school student was a 2:1 student from Babcock. Now, where were the Inflated First-class students from Unilag that year?

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by LadeeE: 4:44pm On Jan 10
scholarship for Nigerians is getting more competitive now o
Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by adioolayi(m): 4:44pm On Jan 10
It seems Nigeria Lecturers in public universities are becoming more liberal, less sadistic and less stingy with their marks.

Gone are the days of "A" is for God .."B" is for me and "C" for the brilliant students among you grin grin grin grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by EmperorCaesar(m): 4:45pm On Jan 10
wink

379 FIRST CLASS GRAD

Unilag go easy die

Since 1980, no one has ever been able to graduate with the maximum CGPA of 5.00 in my school

Thats FUTA

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by YourGFsnatcher: 4:46pm On Jan 10
No. This is witchcraft

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by MasterTeeUSA: 4:46pm On Jan 10
This is amazing. I think we would get more 1st classes in the coming years as more people japa...1st class can get you full scholarship abroad if you can get very strong recommendation letters from your professors....especially in Science and Engineering. Great Job to our brains

FreeStuffsNG:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/unilag-to-graduate-379-first-class-students-at-54th-convocation/#google_vignette

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by CHRISTFUCKER: 4:47pm On Jan 10
Make Dem join queue of unemployment

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by federal9: 4:47pm On Jan 10
BigDickProblems:
How someone will graduate with 5.0 CGPA in a Nigerian university baffles me. Somehow it feels fake.

I don't really believe it.

Before you come for me, I graduated with 1st class and was the top of my class in Engineering as well.

Try dey get A for all the courses.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by kmaster007: 4:47pm On Jan 10
Useless sch
Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by ppogba: 4:47pm On Jan 10
bantilosha:

Idiot with free data.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by AustineE1: 4:48pm On Jan 10
David Akanmu is the real deal,that guy is worth celebrating....Big congrats!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:50pm On Jan 10
The School of first choice ❤️

Greatest Akokites Students ....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by Lifeinlight: 4:51pm On Jan 10
EmperorCaesar:
wink

379 FIRST CLASS GRAD

Unilag go easy die

Since 1980, no one has ever been able to graduate with the maximum CGPA of 5.00 in my school

Thats FUTA
Absolutely
Unilag is quite easy. A strong 2.1 in LASU is definitely a first-class in Unilag

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by damkin24(m): 4:51pm On Jan 10
Good
Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by Arabk25: 4:51pm On Jan 10
bantilosha:
You can't graduate with 2.1 with an empty brain let alone first class if you know wat I mean

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by KnowledgePower7: 4:51pm On Jan 10
Ok
Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by MasterTeeUSA: 4:52pm On Jan 10
https://www.millenniumfellows.org/fellow/2019/unilag/akanmu-david-oluwatomiwa

Already on Millennium Fellowship with United Nations.

AustineE1:
David Akanmu is the real deal,that guy is worth celebrating....Big congrats!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG To Graduate 379 First Class Students At 54th Convocation by Utanisco(m): 4:52pm On Jan 10
Whats the importance of this nonsense call first class in Nigeria

Total waste of wasted time

Drop that nonsense shit of piece and go learn how to mix paints

Unam ikot

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'Assalamu Alaikum': Cheers As Okowa Greets Kebbi Crowd At Rally (Video) / Mock Accreditation: Low Turnout, BVAS Functioning Well / Beaf's State (delta State)has Gone To The Dogs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.