Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,129 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore (18914 Views)

550 OpenAI Employees Ask Board To Quit Or They'll Resign. / Should I Quit Or Continue / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by ponkitibobo: 12:12pm On Jan 12
Dear nairalanders, i need your sincere advice on this issue. I am the overall manager of a company. My boss ( the owner) uses divide and rule system. He likes people snitching on others. He has adviced me as the manager to adopt same system to get information about what's happening.

My concern now is that he doesn't probe me to speak about others but he probes others to speak about me. So far so good no scandal has been reported against me. I live above board with the fear of God to the best of my ability.

Each time he will tell me the workers said i dont take suggestions, i am harsh with them when they suggest. I know this is a lie on the part of the workers.

This is where i need your advice: should i confront my boss and ask why he is doing that. Why is he using them against me and not me against them.

This attitude is frustrating me. He is always confronting me with their very sentimental and subjective opinions. Meanwhile non is able to say any serious evil against. I know if they see they will definitely tell him . But non as at today.

Should i quit the job or just ignore

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by ValCon888: 1:07pm On Jan 12
Your boss is a smart man. He is dealing with you all the way our leaders deal with the people.

The best way to keep Nigerians down is by sowing seeds of hate and confusion between them.

163 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by WantsandMore: 1:50pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:
Dear nairalanders, i need your sincere advice on this issue. I am the overall manager of a company. My boss ( the owner) uses divide and rule system. He likes people snitching on others. He has adviced me as the manager to adopt same system to get information about what's happening.
My concern now is that he doesn't probe me to speak about others but he probes others to speak about me. So far so good no scandal has been reported against me. I live above board with the fear of God to the best of my ability.
Each time he will tell me the workers said i dont take suggestions, i am harsh with them when they suggest. I know this is a lie on the part of the workers.
This is where i need your advice: should i confront my boss and ask why he is doing that. Why is he using them against me and not me against them.
This attitude is frustrating me. He is always confronting me with their very sentimental and subjective opinions. Meanwhile non is able to say any serious evil against. I know if they see they will definitely tell him . But non as at today.

don't quit oh...just make sure whatever decision you make are in the interest of his business & wouldn't affect profit. Infact suggests to him how some intend to push you into making decisions that may create huge expenses but you declined. Play the game but make sure you are competent at the game as much as you're competent at your job. I wouldn't advise you to pit him against them but thats an open window to get rid of anyone you maybe suspecting of sabotage with plausible deniability .

46 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by erad(m): 2:20pm On Jan 12
I'm yet to see what the problem is.

Your boss uses a feedback system to score your performance and even let's you know what is said behind your back so you can adjust if need be.

Where's the issue?
Or do you just want to be unchecked by anyone?

156 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Kingpele(m): 4:33pm On Jan 12
grin grin I see that the job doesn't come with fat paycheck otherwise u wouldn't contemplate terminating your source of income...or the job doesn't mean much to u...however if the above is true ...just make sure u secure another job that pays well before u quit your job...or u just have to ignore your boss ..u can't dictate to him how to run his business...every one has his own ways of making sure his business is growing...oga don't be a hindering block ....humble yourself and discharge your duties to your best of abilities...that's why u are getting your paycheck every damn month

24 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by DesChyko: 4:34pm On Jan 12
It's a tricky situation you are in. From experience, I know co-workers tend to snitch when they can't or are conditioned not to freely express themselves .

As a sole proprietor, he brought up that company to what it is today. It may not be easy convincing him that his decision making is faulty, especially if the company is progressing. He may perceive it as a challenge. The positive I can draw here is "Since he is not making you snitch on others, you're doing something right"

What I would advise is; use your position to influence a psychologically safe work environment, where colleagues can freely express themselves, without needing to resort to snitching. That is a very unhealthy work habit that will ultimately breed chaos.

I'm not sure how your workplace functions but you can look up this article to see how you can best implement it

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/mckinsey-explainers/what-is-psychological-safety

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by yetmao: 4:34pm On Jan 12
It's call office politics. You have to play it or get played.

Life is battle, you get to fight and fight to win. Don't quit, it's the same at every workplace.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by StayHoly: 4:35pm On Jan 12
Forget the current position you are in right now, I will suggest you start looking for another opening before you get accussed or wrongly or framed up of what you didn't do.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Dpharisee: 4:35pm On Jan 12
That's an unhealthy toxic working environment, he is gathering grounds on which to use to sack you the day your cup will full in his eyes.
If you have better options leave such a boss or ask to enter into a sales partnership with him based on written agreement that is if you know how to get clients and work based on commission.

I have worked with such a boss where I was being straight forward whilst those he loved for being snitches were stealing with every available opportunity.

I left job other opportunities that were really promising while believing that he will change and realise that I am among the few that were passionate about the company's growth but he still felt that I should concur with his divide and rule tactics and snitching on other staff then I need to be in his good books.

My point is that such bosses will always see the 'amebos' as better assets than you because they invest a lot of time in packaging themselves in front of the boss.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by DavSagacity(m): 4:35pm On Jan 12
That is the exact style of the man I currently work for.
What I did was that I just ignore and do as if I don't know about all his tactics and how that he used to ask my staff about me. I handle his business with utmost professionalism and nothing more, nothing less. No eye service .

Don't quit until you secure a better Job.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by StraightGaay: 4:35pm On Jan 12
Quit
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Menclothing: 4:35pm On Jan 12
That’s his business any method that work for him

When you have your use method that work for you operating business in Nigeria is not easy with some staff mentality

9 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by fidelmarshal199: 4:35pm On Jan 12
If you don't like this simple method he is using please quit. When you flaunt your own company, Disregard employees feedback and base your knowledge strictly on what the Overall manager tells you alone.

And see how fast the company will crumble on your head.

15 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by DARLINGTON869(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12
Just keep your hands clean and apply wisdom in all you do. Never talk or gossip about ur boss with any co worker. Cos the day you have problem with them, they will do you dirty. Goodluck and progress.

10 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by inoki247: 4:36pm On Jan 12
If you're not ok with it leave the place na...

Person employ na u still dey find the type of rule wey he suppose dey use....

Sha mak sure u don see another Job before u leave any work right now mak u no go turn Bambiala no job out dere...
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

if you do, no come here dey ask for job link oo, or say Hunger Bad or dey..... if not, na iamdBull we go link you with or swalowiir, make u dey bomb site

4 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by africandollar: 4:36pm On Jan 12
Obviously he is saying those things to create enmity between you and your team so that you too can snitch back to him. That being said I absolutely HATE office politics, that`s the reason I resigned from a multinational company, furthered my education and now work as a consultant while I use my free time to set up my own company. I took the resignation route because I was still a junior in the company but you being a manager might want to consider other less extreme options having already put in a good number of years (I assume) into your profession

6 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

if u do
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by adesegun121(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12
Ok
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:37pm On Jan 12
if you
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by ppogba: 4:37pm On Jan 12
Quit the job and go to Shiloh.

Betta Edu' s position is still vacant.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:37pm On Jan 12
[quote author=ponkitibobo post=127904540]Dear nairalanders, i need your sincere advice on this issue. I am the overall manager of a company. My boss ( the owner) uses divide and rule system. He likes people snitching on others. He has adviced me as the manager to adopt same system to get information about what's happening.

Should i quit the job or just ignore[/quote

if you do dont come here for fund me oo
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by NFBI: 4:38pm On Jan 12
You know what you should do
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by LuxuryTechyy: 4:39pm On Jan 12
Not ideal
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by sofeo(m): 4:40pm On Jan 12
It's well.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Nice2023(m): 4:40pm On Jan 12
If u are not earning good pay there,pls leave.

I hate toxic environment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by LandMann: 4:41pm On Jan 12
Same method of slave control used by colonialists is what many managers and business owners are now using on Nigerians in their own country. God punish all evil politicians in Nigeria for destroying the country. This 2024 we no go gree for una. Everybody should be on guard and start getting whatever they can to protect themselves and their families cause a big civil war is coming
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by omoredia: 4:41pm On Jan 12
Where is he from? Is he a y man?
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by occfx: 4:42pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

I wished I knew this earlier that this the tactics black man bosses use. It is better to use your enemy than your friend. If they want to divide you with anyone go to that person behind their back, make him your friend and play along. Life is a game of chess.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recession: American University Of Nigeria Increases Staff Salaries / Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements / The Benefits Of Working As A Freelancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.