Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,119 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore (18932 Views)

550 OpenAI Employees Ask Board To Quit Or They'll Resign. / Should I Quit Or Continue / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by YourGFsnatcher: 5:57pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:
Dear nairalanders, i need your sincere advice on this issue. I am the overall manager of a company. My boss ( the owner) uses divide and rule system. He likes people snitching on others. He has adviced me as the manager to adopt same system to get information about what's happening.

My concern now is that he doesn't probe me to speak about others but he probes others to speak about me. So far so good no scandal has been reported against me. I live above board with the fear of God to the best of my ability.

Each time he will tell me the workers said i dont take suggestions, i am harsh with them when they suggest. I know this is a lie on the part of the workers.

This is where i need your advice: should i confront my boss and ask why he is doing that. Why is he using them against me and not me against them.

This attitude is frustrating me. He is always confronting me with their very sentimental and subjective opinions. Meanwhile non is able to say any serious evil against. I know if they see they will definitely tell him . But non as at today.

Should i quit the job or just ignore
Most bosses do this. I don't know why they like it
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Waffarianman(m): 5:59pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:
Dear nairalanders, i need your sincere advice on this issue. I am the overall manager of a company. My boss ( the owner) uses divide and rule system. He likes people snitching on others. He has adviced me as the manager to adopt same system to get information about what's happening.

My concern now is that he doesn't probe me to speak about others but he probes others to speak about me. So far so good no scandal has been reported against me. I live above board with the fear of God to the best of my ability.

Each time he will tell me the workers said i dont take suggestions, i am harsh with them when they suggest. I know this is a lie on the part of the workers.

This is where i need your advice: should i confront my boss and ask why he is doing that. Why is he using them against me and not me against them.

This attitude is frustrating me. He is always confronting me with their very sentimental and subjective opinions. Meanwhile non is able to say any serious evil against. I know if they see they will definitely tell him . But non as at today.

Same shit happens to me wayback and same position. It's a Chinese company in Lagos "Ibo man Chima" used the workers to snitch on most time, I codedly secure another job then later use our China boss against "Ibo man Chima". Everywhere scarter I left for my new job as if today the company has fold up... Don't snitch on me at my work place because it won't go down well for you
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Waffarianman(m): 6:00pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

Same shit happens to me wayback and same position. It's a Chinese company in Lagos "Ibo man Chima" used the workers to snitch on most time, I codedly secure another job then later use our China boss against him "Ibo man Chima". Everywhere scarter I left for my new job as of today the company has fold up... Don't snitch on me at my work place because it won't go down well for you
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by SamuelLoch: 6:07pm On Jan 12
erad:
I'm yet to see what the problem is.

Your boss uses a feedback system to score your performance and even let's you know what is said behind your back so you can adjust if need be.

Where's the issue?
Or do you just want to be unchecked by anyone?

I share your thoughts.
Like he wants his boss to hear from only him.

OP, your boss is a smart man. He c9mmitted you to handle his resources and is checkmate-ing you. You may think he prefers your subordinates to you, but that's a lie.

The devil you know is better than the one you have no idea about. Don't see it as a distraction, do your part and let it be towards excellence. Your result will give them comfort overtime.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by uvie66: 6:13pm On Jan 12
erad:

Like I always say on this site, you don't have to respond to every topic especially if you're ignorant about the topic.

So I should not appraise the performance of people I'm paying salary to and who relate with my customers?

Obviously you don't know what happens in the corporate world and how the system works.
.,...but, i am on your side on this issue, what I am saying is why will your boss ask people under you to appraise your performance, and just like you i am in the corporate world, (Norton Rose Fulbright UK)... working as a Health and Safety officer.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Foodqueen(f): 6:15pm On Jan 12
The truth is nobody is telling him anything.

He's just using scope to keep u on your toes so you won't think that he doesn't know what's going on.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Bism(m): 6:16pm On Jan 12
This is my first comment in years being a member of nairaland and I can see most professional members are no longer in this forum. Its regrettably visible. No standard organizations with a structure base their control measures, feedback mechanisms,operational evaluation on snitching or staff contradictions. They have clear guidelines, KPI, operational manual, checklist, target, staff hand books, security apparatus and roadmap to judge staff efficiency
What the OP just highlighted is a workplace with a toxic environment and some are giving wrong opinions.
Many responding are not in management position or have worked in corporate environment. This model applied by his boss is a deterrent to his execution of his duty and undermine the position. Those boss forget first that they are dealing with the office which is there structure before the individual that occupy the position. Hence this divide and rule approach which be a pattern adopted irrespective of the person there. I will never like to work in such organisations as it is hard to strive if you are a goal orientated individual who do not compromise.
My advice to you is to endure for a while and see if there is an improvement to your situation because that is what we call a company with a bad culture. If no improvement seek for a new job. Failure to adopt this approach, you will be surprised that those malicious feedback from your subordinate will pass as verdict for you if you think he does not take it seriously.

Kindly quote me.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Enemyofpeace: 6:24pm On Jan 12
In case you need boys to beat am for me, please pm me
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by love201(m): 6:26pm On Jan 12
ppogba:
Quit the job and go to Shiloh.

Betta Edu' s position is still vacant.

Best advice so far
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by love201(m): 6:27pm On Jan 12
No gree for your boss
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by love201(m): 6:27pm On Jan 12
No gree for your boss
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Dpaulie(m): 6:35pm On Jan 12
Not easy to invest your money on a business bro
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by abimbola74(m): 6:36pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

Bitter truth is every one man business is like that and I have found myself in such situation before . To deal with such is so simple Aswear and las las he wouldnโ€™t be getting the information he needed sef . Make I reach house fes and be detailed with the approach to adopt
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by mariahAngel(f): 7:18pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

Each time he will tell me the workers said i don't take suggestions, i am harsh with them when they suggest. I know this is a lie on the part of the workers.

What if your boss is just manipulating you?
What if the workers never actually told him anything about you?
What if he's looking to get words out of you against the workers, or to turn you against them?
Try not to fall into his trap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Taiwo20(m): 7:49pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

Taking current economic situation into consideration,how would you advise you ward on the above hypothetical situation?

Thatโ€™s your answer.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by erad(m): 7:51pm On Jan 12
uvie66:
.,...but, i am on your side on this issue, what I am saying is why will your boss ask people under you to appraise your performance, and just like you i am in the corporate world, (Norton Rose Fulbright UK)... working as a Health and Safety officer.

I think I misunderstood you.
I apologize. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฟ
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by BadBradley: 8:06pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

if you love the job don't quit. It's a regular Nigerian feature where owners of firms company or bosses who aren't in the office usually employ to forestall managers from taking control. The tactics is to put you in check so you don't plot with the financial secretary to accountant to steal company's money. Lolz.

What you should do is to also use same divide and rule technique on your staff and you will get those who are the source of those gossip to your boss. Then have record of them failing in their job or being in serious breach of company code then you have a checkmate.

By the way, Nairaland is peopled by jobless kids and here's the wrong place to get mature or serious advise.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by feliking: 8:11pm On Jan 12
I have worked for such a human being and I think he is utterly worst. Any day he did not get gossips and information about you, he feels he was going to die the next day. He bought smart phones and shared them to his gossip hunters to video and record whatever you do. He believes and uses any bad thing they tell him against and about you. The company is 90% people from his town and they can kill to make sure they have their way.....they use blackmail, gossip, gang up and spiritual means to make sure they remove you and install someone from their side.
Because of the way this boss runs his company, almost every staff of the company goes to him to gossip and black mail one another and come and see the way he attacks, insults and makes fool of you because of unverified hear say. In this kind of work environment, you will discover that you are working with fear, uncertainty and have lost the sense of yourself.
My brother, my advice to you is to start making plans to leave him and his company before he will disgrace you out. If the only means of income you have is "salary", your life will be shattered if he eventually sacks you. So, start looking for other means of making money for yourself now apart from the salary he pays you (especially if you are a private company employee).Try as much as possible to achieve financial freedom this year so that no stupid boss will ever play with your emotions. I wish you good luck!!

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by soccerlite: 8:32pm On Jan 12
Is this what "divide and rule" meant?

Your boss is just enjoying himself - low budget squid game

I suspect those junior staff are disrespecting you
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Gentlesoul2021(m): 8:33pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

If u are in a toxic work environment pls protect ur mental state of health...

1 Like

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by lamanda(m): 8:42pm On Jan 12
I'll advise you to ignore and continue the work. It's a normal thing amongst employers of labour who are mostly from Nigeria. They do this to distract the management & create disunity amongst the workers so as to prevent them from uniting to fight for their right or demand for good work conditions.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by abba190: 8:57pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

i recommend u to read 48law of power by robert greene
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Ekugbeh(m): 9:49pm On Jan 12
Ask him like in what instance
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by nereushouse(m): 10:22pm On Jan 12
It's always a one man business thing. Just work hard to get another job.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by paulGrundy(m): 11:03pm On Jan 12
ponkitibobo:

My previous boss used this same tactics. It's a method adopted in insecure bosses to control all the staffs. Don't quit until you get another job, at the same time don't ignore. One problem with divide and rule tactics is that office conflict is frequent and it makes it difficult for workers to cooperate together even on simple tasks ultimately leading to someone being asked to go! In my previous workplace we had high staff turnover, fire, resign. Hire, fire, resign, repeat. From experience what kept me is:

1. Ignore hurtful words and actions of others and focus on your work.

2. Cooperate with others no matter what.

3. Don't involve in office gossip and up your game in your tasks.

4. Don't give room for mistakes and always give feedback back even on the most mundane task to reduce your boss' insecurity.

Start planning your exit, as staying in that environment for too long can hinder your progress. Promotion and pay raise often do not go to the most competent, it goes to stooges or the bosses informants and loyalists.

If you take part in office politics you won't last long there. If you follow my advice and stay out of politics you will be stagnated and lose out on all the good things happening in the office.

Talking from experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by fortunechy(m): 11:08pm On Jan 12
Do ur work ,get paid and go home. Considering Nigerian system, no job security.Do as if u don't know what's going on. Work upright and pray to God for a better job. Good luck!!!
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Mekharay007(m): 1:57am On Jan 13
My story is very similar to yours, I won't be surprised if my former boss is your current boss.

I worked as a general manager for him, I expanded the business for him beyond his imagination. He ( my former boss) lives abroad. I tripped our monthly sales only for him to cine

He would call jnr staff to enquire about me and turn them against me.

He loves to sow the seed of hatred and division in the minds of other staff.

Last Last, I severed him breakfast on the morning NAFDAC. was supposed to visit,
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Walkat9t: 6:57am On Jan 13
Don't be a lazy person, I didn't see anything wrong here. Except you're tired of the work routine
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Codevalley: 8:05am On Jan 13
Most bosses in Nigeria apply same method especially in one man business. The truth is that it is going to affect you mentally. When it comes to team work you would find it very hard to work with those you perceived as informat.Again,trying to isolate yourself from others would also make it difficult to know the 'underground stuffs'going on in the company. Since your boss is the type that works with gossip,who knows what decisions he would make with the gossip he receives from your subordinates?I pray it won't be the one that would be to your disadvantage.

For now endure whatever he throws out you while you look out for other opportunities .Don't plan to stay there for long, because your mental health and selfworth would greatly be reduced.
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by femi4: 8:36am On Jan 13
ponkitibobo:

Just ignore
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by frozen70(f): 9:59am On Jan 13
ponkitibobo:

Since they have not said anything bad about you, why not bring yourself down and be more friendly with your workers and win their heart

Instead of planning to resign
Re: My Boss Uses Divide And Rule System: Should I Quit Or Ignore by Konquest: 11:40am On Jan 13
ponkitibobo:

Most formal businesses have in-house whistle-blower policies... But when the quest by the business owner to gather information about the goings-on in the running of the business thereby overtly pitting members of staff against one another like in your case, then that breeds resentments and lowers staff morale. That's a toxic workplace environment.

Do what you have to do to get the company going for now, but have a medium to long-term timeline to exit from the company so as to get another employer, or have the time to set up a sustainable registered business of your own and/or go into full time investments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements / I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything / Signs You Are Pursuing A Wrong Career.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.