Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 (18783 Views)

Vincent Enyeama Makes Africa’s Best Ever XI By The Sun UK / Vincent Enyeama Wants To Play Again, Set To Return To Football / Promise Vincent Enyeama To Husband: 'Freezing Cold But I've Got You My Warmer' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Penisman: 4:50pm On Jan 13
Oliseh is to Nigerian football, what Emeka Ike is to Nollywood.
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Kukutente23: 4:58pm On Jan 13
ravensckar:
As much as I would have loved to continue having this discussion with you, my current work wouldn't permit. However, it's important that I point out a few things.

Firstly, the Mikel of U-20 was different from the Mikel that ended up at Chelsea & the Super Eagles. Even a village idiot can agree with that. As a result, he wouldn't even make the cut or rather remain on the bench at best. Why? He wouldn't bring in anything exceptional to the team.

JAY JAY (Creative midfielder, can dribble, long passer, good at set pieces, coordinates the midfield).
ORUMA (creative midfielder, attacking midfielder, good passer)

OLISEH (Good at marking, long passes, and can shoot).

ADEPOJU (defensive midfielder, can mark & good with the head).

Tell me, who will Mikel bench among the midfielders above?

Now coming back to Guardiola. You still didn't want to admit that he malt treated Yahya Toure? Seriously? That they didn't have any confrontation doesn't excuse what he did to the young man. Twice for that matter especially for no apparent reason. Again, history was kind to him because he won trophies and was successful.

To Mourinho, I completely agree with your take on him. No further comment.

In conclusion, most of these coaches you see have their different 'man management style'. Some are friendly to their players (which can be perceived to be weakness). Others are high-handed (which can be perceived to be stubborness). It's different stroke for different folks. However, history will only remember those that achieved success. I stand by my earlier view; Oliseh was a good coach, yes, he was a bit high-handed but I believe he would have turned the team around if given the necessary time and support. But you see this Pesseiro or whatever he calls himself, he's the Portuguese version of COACH FRANK LAMPARD. cheesy cheesy
Mikel that ended up at Chelsea is not Mikel's fault. He had a Mou who was buying up left, right and centre with no thoughts for developing players talents. He only wanted quick fixes. He took one look at Mikel with his broad frame and height and decided the only place for him in the team was as a defensive player. That's what changed Mikel from the U-20 version to the Chelsea version.

Funny enough, Jay Jay played for Bolton while Mou was at Chelsea and he never thought of signing him. I think it's just nostalgia to think Mikel can't bench Adepoju, Oliseh or Oruma. They were all good players but Mikel was not in any way below them in footballing abilities. The problem is that by 2000s while Mikel was breaking into national team, Nigerians were too fixated on looking for an Okocha than any other type of midfielder and since Mikel was our most prolific in Europe, people were measuring him against that style. Mikel has his style. He's closer to an Adepoju than Okocha or Oliseh.

I think you don't watch Guardiola teams to understand his grouse with Yaya. Guardiola wants his 4 to be highly mobile who is always ready to receive the ball and pick the next pass ASAP. Toure is the direct opposite of that yet he wants to play 4 under Guardiola. That's where both have issues. Like I said, he never confronted him openly like Oliseh did with Enyeama.

Now I want to tell you that Oliseh was the main reason I lost interest in Nigerian football especially super eagles. His arrival on the radar and subsequent take over of SE was a disgrace and an insult. Let me remind you that after the 2012 fiasco where we failed to qualify for nations Cup under Siasia, Nigerian football was at its lowest ebb. In came Keshi. I always tell people. If you're looking for the Nigerian version of an Ancelloti or Fergie, it's none other than Keshi. We had notably Onigbinde in early 2000s and he was closer to a Mourinho or Conte. He knew his tactics and what he wanted from his players. Keshi on the other hand excelled at making players play to their strength. And he did that perfectly when there was no pressure or expectation. What most don't remember is that we qualified for 2013 nations Cup with no hassles. And I remember when we got to the nations Cup and played a draw in our first match, many wrote the team off. But not Keshi. He picked up the players, instilled confidence in them and got everyone playing to their strengths. One of his masterstroke was Sunday Mba and Onazi. Those two covered up for Obi's sluggishness which helped Obi to also play to his strength. Keshi won the nations cup, the first Nigerian to do so as a coach never mind player. But what did the NFF and oversabi Nigerian press use to reward him, they started talking of playing pattern and tactics towards the confederation cup. I was livid then and I remember calling attention to the disrespect that was going on with Keshi then on fb. NFF and the stupid press forced Keshi's hand to drop Bright and Mba after the confederation cup. I used to say it then that Nigerian sports media and NFF are complete hypocrites. I mean Keshi gave us everything we've always wanted in SE. Exciting football, goals, an healthy blend of foreign and homemade players but we threw all that away with stupid talk of tactics. I don't think I've ever seen any country disrespect their winning team and coach the way it was done in 2014 towards the world cup. Who in his right senses advocates for changing a winning team and formula?!! And do you know the poster boy of the corrupt NFF and media? Oliseh. The hype around him was too much. They praised him to high heavens as technically and tactically sound, claiming his division 2 team in Germany was playing technical football and that he just saved them from relegationas if that's equal to winning a nations Cup trophy. I remember when the news started that he had got his uefa coaching licence and was now a member of fifa technical committee. The hype did not end. Suddenly keshi did not know what he was doing. I for one expected Oliseh to come out and show public support for Keshi so as to kill the noise around the team then but the dude seemed to enjoy it. He kept courting the media with mumu analysis upon analysis. Soon, they coined the African Guardiola sobriquet for him.
Bro, Oliseh took over the team after Keshi finished with the world cup and instead of building on Keshi's achievement, dude started talking about rebuilding. I've never heard of where a winning team is being rebuilt. What I know is if it ain't broken, don't fix it. The result of his rebuilding was axing Enyeama, Ehimofe, the Kano pillars dude playing 3 when Ehimofe was injured and even Mba!! So much for Guardiola.
I don't think Keshi cursed SE after that rubbish but I can bet you if he did, it nor get any prophet wey to fit wash that curse. What was done to him was wrong as it was unprecedented. I even heard one time that they were owing him. Anyways, African Guardiola couldn't even qualify for the nations Cup after all the hype.
Bro forget, Oliseh nor be coach and it's since then I lost ALL interest in Nigerian football.

1 Like

Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Franking: 5:22pm On Jan 13
Why didn't he say it since?

grin
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by kendrick93(m): 5:29pm On Jan 13
God1000:
And we're still suffering it till date, the exit of Enyeama from super eagles without having another good replacement will continue to haunt us.

Enyeama is irreplaceable
Enyeama is close to 50yrs..
Are you still expecting he would still be between the posts in this present day?

Besides it was Carl Ikeme who was his replacement and where it not for Cancer, he was a fine and arguably a better replacement.
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by robosky02(m): 5:48pm On Jan 13
Femeto:
Nonsense. Someone is fighting for the rights of the team he is captaining you see it has a problem. In saner climes you wouldn’t see players fighting and protesting for their match allowances and bonuses before games. He lost his mum and the NFF and the coach didn’t think about the psychological state he would have been at that time. Has the team found a replacement for him more than 10 years after he left. Nigeria has been worse for it. He left without saying goodbye and he also couldn’t tutor any one to become a goal keeper like him in the national team.

All thanks to Oliseh

When discipline is taken to the extreme it becomes wickedness
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by femi4: 5:56pm On Jan 13
robosky02:
History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015

By Adewale Ajayi

Sunday Oliseh had to drop his jacket in anger spoiling for war with his captain, Vincent Enyeama over irreconcilable differences. No it shouldn't have come to that. Why invite him in the first place if you don't want him? Or better still why not issue a press release even before your camp opens in Belgium to tell the public that your new captain is Ahmed Musa. That would have saved us this embarrassment.

Reasons for this madness according to my source, is that Enyeama arrived camp on Monday after burying his late mother Lucy. He was surprised to find out that Oliseh has picked Ahmed Musa as new captain of the Super Eagles without thinking it was necessary to take him along.

Oliseh however expected Enyeama to come forward and explain to the coaches why he missed Nigeria's last match with Tanzania but reappeared in the French Ligue One donning the jersey of Lille Metropole without any formal or informal message to his National team coaches. Oliseh wanted explanations, Enyeama also wanted explanations and none was ready to bulge and that was how tempers flared and a mild drama ensued.

Oliseh is aware of the many antecedents of Enyeama, he is hellbent on instilling discipline in camp but must apply wisdom in doing things or he starts breeding a divided camp of players who can jointly jeopardise his Nations cup dreams and aspiration and render him jobless in just a matter of months from now

DANGERS
This portends very severe consequences because like in 2011 under Siasia, players will take sides. There will be those like Mikel who is also pregnant with anger over his none invitation for the Tanzania match, and Odion Ighalo whose exclusion came with no concrete explanation.

These two could pitch camp with Vincent. There will also be those loyal to the former technical crew led by Stephen Keshi and those loyal to Oliseh. In 2011, Siasia fell out with the same Enyeama, Osaze and Mikel. All three were later recalled for the crunch match with Guinea in Abuja and their performance on the day left much to be desired as Nigeria failed to pick the 2012 Nations Cup ticket.

With a double header against Egypt coming up in March, the NFF must intervene and call a peace meeting between players and coaches in order to resolve all lingering crisis before the World Cup qualifier later this year and the cracker with Egypt in March next year. The truth is we cannot afford to miss out from another Nations Cup and if Enyeama or Oliseh want to be a clog in our wheel then both can give way.

Sunny should know that as National team coach, you don't discipline a player by going physical. He should know too that Enyeama remains Nigeria's captain and the Nation's most capped international and must learn to manage egos if he must succeed as National team coach.

Rumbling with your player in only your third match in charge does not speak well of you as a coach. Agreed, Enyeama is turning out a spoilt egg in the team but two wrongs don't make a right.

One expects that the matter could have been handled internally. Drawing the attention of the public or going as far as inviting security personnel to walk your captain out of camp is not the way out. Whatever the case, Vincent Enyeama remains Nigeria's most capped player and deserves some respect.

MY VERDICT
Enyeama is gradually becoming a soar grape in camp, he is turning out a very bad influence on other players and must be wisely eased out before he destroys the team spirit.

Enyeama it was in Namibia who instigated the No pay No flight protest before the Confederations Cup in Brazil, Enyeama it was in Brazil who led the revolt over the FIFA largesse the night before our second round match with France.

It will also be recalled that the NFF almost banned Vincent following comments he made regarding the choice of Kaduna for the Nations Cup qualifier with Chad in Kaduna.

All these are just a drop in the ocean when recounting the many atrocities of Enyeama who like Oliseh during his playing days, is becoming an enfant terrible.

There must be a middle point of reconciliation, there must also be a point of taking very decisive decisions. If Enyeama feels he is doing Nigeria a favour by wearing the National team jersey, me feels it's high time we organise a sendforth party and confine him into the history books.

Source: Adewale Ajayi wrote this in the heat of the altercation in 2015

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02PuVyajQsqjmDDocH4URKzBtegTXL6CQD3aM7fPwNqn3AbR1khC8WHB8ere4XoFnLl&id=100002433336360&post_id=100002433336360_pfbid02PuVyajQsqjmDDocH4URKzBtegTXL6CQD3aM7fPwNqn3AbR1khC8WHB8ere4XoFnLl&mibextid=Nif5oz
It's only in Nigeria that when players start demanding for their money that the federation call the act ATROCITIES.

Enyeama left the team and Nig missed 2 afcons back to back. What a shame
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Codes151(m): 6:02pm On Jan 13
Ohraykon:
yanmiri get sense now
obikoro stop hating.
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by robosky02(m): 6:04pm On Jan 13
femi4:
It's only in Nigeria that when players start demanding for their money that the federation call the act ATROCITIES.

Enyeama left the team and Nig missed 2 afcons back to back. What a shame

A player we should celebrate and even give a testimonial match after his service

Ego killed it
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by ravensckar(m): 6:05pm On Jan 13
Kukutente23:

Mikel that ended up at Chelsea is not Mikel's fault. He had a Mou who was buying up left, right and centre with no thoughts for developing players talents. He only wanted quick fixes. He took one look at Mikel with his broad frame and height and decided the only place for him in the team was as a defensive player. That's what changed Mikel from the U-20 version to the Chelsea version.

Funny enough, Jay Jay played for Bolton while Mou was at Chelsea and he never thought of signing him. I think it's just nostalgia to think Mikel can't bench Adepoju, Oliseh or Oruma. They were all good players but Mikel was not in any way below them in footballing abilities. The problem is that by 2000s while Mikel was breaking into national team, Nigerians were too fixated on looking for an Okocha than any other type of midfielder and since Mikel was our most prolific in Europe, people were measuring him against that style. Mikel has his style. He's closer to an Adepoju than Okocha or Oliseh.

I think you don't watch Guardiola teams to understand his grouse with Yaya. Guardiola wants his 4 to be highly mobile who is always ready to receive the ball and pick the next pass ASAP. Toure is the direct opposite of that yet he wants to play 4 under Guardiola. That's where both have issues. Like I said, he never confronted him openly like Oliseh did with Enyeama.

Now I want to tell you that Oliseh was the main reason I lost interest in Nigerian football especially super eagles. His arrival on the radar and subsequent take over of SE was a disgrace and an insult. Let me remind you that after the 2012 fiasco where we failed to qualify for nations Cup under Siasia, Nigerian football was at its lowest ebb. In came Keshi. I always tell people. If you're looking for the Nigerian version of an Ancelloti or Fergie, it's none other than Keshi. We had notably Onigbinde in early 2000s and he was closer to a Mourinho or Conte. He knew his tactics and what he wanted from his players. Keshi on the other hand excelled at making players play to their strength. And he did that perfectly when there was no pressure or expectation. What most don't remember is that we qualified for 2013 nations Cup with no hassles. And I remember when we got to the nations Cup and played a draw in our first match, many wrote the team off. But not Keshi. He picked up the players, instilled confidence in them and got everyone playing to their strengths. One of his masterstroke was Sunday Mba and Onazi. Those two covered up for Obi's sluggishness which helped Obi to also play to his strength. Keshi won the nations cup, the first Nigerian to do so as a coach never mind player. But what did the NFF and oversabi Nigerian press use to reward him, they started talking of playing pattern and tactics towards the confederation cup. I was livid then and I remember calling attention to the disrespect that was going on with Keshi then on fb. NFF and the stupid press forced Keshi's hand to drop Bright and Mba after the confederation cup. I used to say it then that Nigerian sports media and NFF are complete hypocrites. I mean Keshi gave us everything we've always wanted in SE. Exciting football, goals, an healthy blend of foreign and homemade players but we threw all that away with stupid talk of tactics. I don't think I've ever seen any country disrespect their winning team and coach the way it was done in 2014 towards the world cup. Who in his right senses advocates for changing a winning team and formula?!! And do you know the poster boy of the corrupt NFF and media? Oliseh. The hype around him was too much. They praised him to high heavens as technically and tactically sound, claiming his division 2 team in Germany was playing technical football and that he just saved them from relegationas if that's equal to winning a nations Cup trophy. I remember when the news started that he had got his uefa coaching licence and was now a member of fifa technical committee. The hype did not end. Suddenly keshi did not know what he was doing. I for one expected Oliseh to come out and show public support for Keshi so as to kill the noise around the team then but the dude seemed to enjoy it. He kept courting the media with mumu analysis upon analysis. Soon, they coined the African Guardiola sobriquet for him.
Bro, Oliseh took over the team after Keshi finished with the world cup and instead of building on Keshi's achievement, dude started talking about rebuilding. I've never heard of where a winning team is being rebuilt. What I know is if it ain't broken, don't fix it. The result of his rebuilding was axing Enyeama, Ehimofe, the Kano pillars dude playing 3 when Ehimofe was injured and even Mba!! So much for Guardiola.
I don't think Keshi cursed SE after that rubbish but I can bet you if he did, it nor get any prophet wey to fit wash that curse. What was done to him was wrong as it was unprecedented. I even heard one time that they were owing him. Anyways, African Guardiola couldn't even qualify for the nations Cup after all the hype.
Bro forget, Oliseh nor be coach and it's since then I lost ALL interest in Nigerian football.
First and foremost, let me say it here that I respect your analysis and in-depth knowledge of football related matters. You have really made my Saturday worthwhile with your piece. However, it will be hard for both of us to come to a mutual understanding because you seem to hate OLISEH why I also detest MIKEL OBI'S style of play. We're both on different sides of the DIVIDE.

That being said, now, let's go by your analysis. You still haven't been able to point out the football qualities that MIKEL had that will make any reasonable coach play him ahead of ORUMA, OLISEH or ADEPOJU. That itself is a testament to the fact that he's below them. Yes, he achieved great success with CHELSEA & THE SUPER EAGLES. No debates on that, that was just a case of being in the right place at the right time as no one could point out any of his individual contribution to it. Again, I'm referring to the post U-20 Mikel i.e the sluggish midfielder who can neither pass nor shoot (except giving a back pass and guiding the ball). cheesy cheesy

Secondly, on the issue of STEPHEN KESHI. You yourself have alluded to what every football pundit and enthusiast knows about him; he lacks tactics. He only throws players into the pitch to go out there and do whatever the hell they want to do. No tactics, no pattern of play, no football ideology, just kick the ball from post to post. cheesy cheesy Such a person can never command anyone's respect because it was obvious that he was just a figure head. Whilst I don't support the disrespect meted out to him by the then NFF, it's important that we all understand why he couldn't command respect. To add salt to injury, it was rumoured that he received BRIBE for calling up some players to the NATIONAL TEAM. And for some, he shared their match bonus with them. I'm sure you know that. Or you didn't hear of his role in SUNDAY MBAH's transfer saga? angry angry
How do you expect such a person to be taken seriously? Nonetheless, there are a few coaches like STEPHEN KESHI who don't do tactics too. They will just throw players onto the field. Some achieved success, some didn't. e.g Rijkaard, Lampard, Capello, Sven Goran Eriksson, Gernot Rohr, etc.

Unless a person is not an ardent football follower, it's not hard to recognize a tactically sound coach. And even a village idiot knows Keshi wasn't.

Thirdly, let's go back to Guardiola. I would have agreed with your reason for his maltreatment of Yahya Toure. But realizing that he played a certain FERNANDINHO ahead of YAHYA TOURE is enough evidence that he had something against the young man. Again, he was just lucky because in the end, he got the result. I'm sure you know why no one talks about the GUARDIOLA of BAYERN MUNICH. Which brings me back to my earlier assertion; 'If the end result of a person's actions lead to success, the process no longer matters'. wink wink

Oh! Lest I forget, any day, any time, any where, OLISEH is a better coach than STEPHEN KESHI (of blessed memory). Of course he is high-handed, of course he lacks human relation skill. But no one can take away the fact that he's a tactically sound coach who would have achieved success with the Super Eagles if given enough time. Unless you've forgotten about Antonio Conte (The semi madman himself in whose presence all other mad players calm down), then, you'll see traits of OLISEH in him. cheesy cheesy
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by sirchim(m): 6:33pm On Jan 13
ravensckar:
So, what was that gibberish that Mikel wrote the other day about Oliseh picking on Enyeama for no apparent reason? angry angry

You see, most times when people run to the media to cry wolf, it shows that they too have a lot of skeletons in their cupboard. Mikel should focus more on life after football rather than continue to attack our ex-stars. He (Mikel) too suffers from a deep-rooted envy of not living up to the reputation of wearing Nigeria's prestigious Number 10 Jersey. Jay Jay we know, Wilson Oruma we know. Mikel (the back passer & ball guider) we don't know. cheesy cheesy cheesy
you forget that friendly match way him dey guide ball to pass am back, na him merciless MESSI collect am give correct pass, way dem take score us.
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Femeto: 6:49pm On Jan 13
robosky02:

All thanks to Oliseh

When discipline is taken to the extreme it becomes wickedness
Abi.
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by ravensckar(m): 6:53pm On Jan 13
sirchim:
you forget that friendly match way him dey guide ball to pass am back, na him merciless MESSI collect am give correct pass, way dem take score us.
Ehn nau. If people like the legendary J.J OKOCHA or KANU NWANKWO that critisized OLISEH, it would have been understandable. Not a sluggish, back passing specialist like MIKEL. We dey call animals wey get horn, butterfly self dey show face. angry angry angry
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Kay25(m): 8:39pm On Jan 13
God1000:
And we're still suffering it till date, the exit of Enyeama from super eagles without having another good replacement will continue to haunt us.

Enyeama is irreplaceable
Who is he that he is irreplaceable tell me one trophy that we won when he was the keeper thanks to God he wasn't there at atlanta 96 nor France 98 we would have bn worshipping him ni
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by CalmElder(m): 8:55pm On Jan 13
Oliseh discovered Carl Ikeme
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Kukutente23: 9:08pm On Jan 13
ravensckar:
First and foremost, let me say it here that I respect your analysis and in-depth knowledge of football related matters. You have really made my Saturday worthwhile with your piece. However, it will be hard for both of us to come to a mutual understanding because you seem to hate OLISEH why I also detest MIKEL OBI'S style of play. We're both on different sides of the DIVIDE.

That being said, now, let's go by your analysis. You still haven't been able to point out the football qualities that MIKEL had that will make any reasonable coach play him ahead of ORUMA, OLISEH or ADEPOJU. That itself is a testament to the fact that he's below them. Yes, he achieved great success with CHELSEA & THE SUPER EAGLES. No debates on that, that was just a case of being in the right place at the right time as no one could point out any of his individual contribution to it. Again, I'm referring to the post U-20 Mikel i.e the sluggish midfielder who can neither pass nor shoot (except giving a back pass and guiding the ball). cheesy cheesy

Secondly, on the issue of STEPHEN KESHI. You yourself have alluded to what every football pundit and enthusiast knows about him; he lacks tactics. He only throws players into the pitch to go out there and do whatever the hell they want to do. No tactics, no pattern of play, no football ideology, just kick the ball from post to post. cheesy cheesy Such a person can never command anyone's respect because it was obvious that he was just a figure head. Whilst I don't support the disrespect meted out to him by the then NFF, it's important that we all understand why he couldn't command respect. To add salt to injury, it was rumoured that he received BRIBE for calling up some players to the NATIONAL TEAM. And for some, he shared their match bonus with them. I'm sure you know that. Or you didn't hear of his role in SUNDAY MBAH's transfer saga? angry angry
How do you expect such a person to be taken seriously? Nonetheless, there are a few coaches like STEPHEN KESHI who don't do tactics too. They will just throw players onto the field. Some achieved success, some didn't. e.g Rijkaard, Lampard, Capello, Sven Goran Eriksson, Gernot Rohr, etc.

Unless a person is not an ardent football follower, it's not hard to recognize a tactically sound coach. And even a village idiot knows Keshi wasn't.

Thirdly, let's go back to Guardiola. I would have agreed with your reason for his maltreatment of Yahya Toure. But realizing that he played a certain FERNANDINHO ahead of YAHYA TOURE is enough evidence that he had something against the young man. Again, he was just lucky because in the end, he got the result. I'm sure you know why no one talks about the GUARDIOLA of BAYERN MUNICH. Which brings me back to my earlier assertion; 'If the end result of a person's actions lead to success, the process no longer matters'. wink wink

Oh! Lest I forget, any day, any time, any where, OLISEH is a better coach than STEPHEN KESHI (of blessed memory). Of course he is high-handed, of course he lacks human relation skill. But no one can take away the fact that he's a tactically sound coach who would have achieved success with the Super Eagles if given enough time. Unless you've forgotten about Antonio Conte (The semi madman himself in whose presence all other mad players calm down), then, you'll see traits of OLISEH in him. cheesy cheesy
grin grin I don't hate Oliseh. He remains a Nigerian legend regardless of his part in that debacle.

As for Mikel, did you watch him in that U-20 before Mou happened to him? He was more or less like a Pirlo, Effenberg or Basler. Those midfielders that like to dictate the pace of a match and pull strings together as the game progresses. A trequartista they call it in Italy. He could have easily become like Pogba or Riquelme. Those are the players he's more tuned to. Unfortunately, Mou was not a developmental coach and he needed cover for Essien and Makalele so he turned to Mikel who was not of their mould. It'll interest you that part of what destabilised Pogba under Mou in United was his insistence on converting Pogba to a 4 to form a double pivot with Matic. While Pogba was shining for France he was dismal in Man Utd. He, Kante and Griez were the fulcrum for France's 2018 triumph. It's almost same with Mikel and Mou. Do you realise Mikel actually blossomed under Scolari and Ancelloti at Chelsea?
I don't know what metric you'll use to arrive at saying Oliseh is a better coach than Keshi was. Football is not just about style or tactics. Fergie who is widely regarded as greatest British manager ever was not a tactician. Neither was he a coach. Instead he excelled at man-management and team building. All his bright teams were based on individual brilliance blossoming and not tactical genius. For every Guardiola, you have a Lopetegui. Ancelloti beat Simeone, Klopp to win UCLs. Are those two not more tactically aware than him? It's funny how Nigerians love to denigrate things. Oliseh has not won a spoon. But you think he's a better coach than a man who built a team from scratch, took them to win the nations cup, played the confederation cup and world cup. Putting players on the field and helping them to play to their best is a desirable managerial skill bro. Even Westerhoff whom we all adore was more a man- manager than tactician. It was bonfrere Joe who provided the tactical inputs to Westerhoff's SE then. Unfortunately, same Joe failed to win nations Cup and even qualify for WC until Amodu rescued the team. So being a good coach is not just about how to play. Giving the players the freedom to do what they won't normally do is also part of being a good coach and has brought success for other managers.
So like I said, there's no metric you can use to rate Oliseh above Keshi. At least not now. Tactics for mouth nor mean anything. As for the rumours of sharing players' monies and bribery, there's hardly any coach of SE be it local or foreign who has not faced such allegations including Westerhoff!! So if you're going to use that as a yardstick it's going to be a long thing. Siasia is tactically sound but was banned by fifa for bribery not so?
Fernandinho is a more disciplined and tactically aware player than Yaya. At Bayern, Guardiola got to UCL semis twice. Not what was expected but it's easy to downplay such things because it's Bayern. He didn't want the shortcut and it worked out for him in the end last year in grand style. 3 trebles to his name!!
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by olufikunayo640: 9:20pm On Jan 13
Sunday Oliseh dey form disciplinarianSunday Oliseh dey form disciplinarian...
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by sirchim(m): 10:46pm On Jan 13
ravensckar:
Ehn nau. If people like the legendary J.J OKOCHA or KANU NWANKWO that critisized OLISEH, it would have been understandable. Not a sluggish, back passing specialist like MIKEL. We dey call animals wey get horn, butterfly self dey show face. angry angry angry
I dey tell you 😄
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Enobongs23(m): 11:54pm On Jan 13
Femisol:
Oliseh is still one of the Most educated Ex-Nigerian player

He just takes discipline to the extreme and he never got over how he was butted out of the super eagles team after Mali 🇲🇱 2002 AFCON and missed the Korea/Japan World Cup

Is Vincent not educated?
Or is seyi olofijana not educated?
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by betshopagent(m): 1:23am On Jan 14
SyrusdeHansome:
Una go explain tire no evidence. Oliseh was arrogant nd the fruit of his arrogance is Francis Uzoho.
grin .Daniel akpei to Chigozie agbim to Franis Uzoho to Fineboi Okafor back to Francis Uzoho again. All flops. embarassed. Agbim was the worst
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by fineberry(m): 8:57am On Jan 14
Kukutente23:

It's hard to agree Mikel won't get a call up because of Adepoju, Oliseh et al. Let's not forget he was second best to Messi in U-20 world cup. Naturally, such players always get a look in for the national team.
Maintaining discipline is different from picking on players. Enyeama was troublemaker because our NFF was incompetent. A lot of you forget that Mikel paid hotel allowances of some players during Olympic qualifiers because NFF was footdragging. A Japanese billionaire had to augment allowances in the Olympics for our team and some other African teams facing cash crunch then yet the team came second.
The issue of Yaya Toure with Gaurdiola is different because they never had open confrontation while together. Guardiola learned to manage it. In fact, his biggest fight was with Joe Hart. He said Joe Hart was not well adapted to the playing style required. Today he's justified with Ederson.
Ikeme was already in the team. Oliseh did not bring him. He was second choice to Enyeama.
History is not as kind to Mourinho as you think. Madrid fans and players don't really rate him. He was supposed to make a comeback to the team but was rejected by the big boys and the fans. So it's not just about winning but how much stability or otherwise you brought to the team. Mourinho will never be mentioned among Madrid's great coaches but Zidane and Ancelloti who excelled at managing the players will.
Omo you people sabbi analyze o kilode grin
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by fineberry(m): 8:59am On Jan 14
When it vome to football....sport in general I don't always have to say. .I no dey watch ball except maybe by mistake
Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Friend22(m): 9:08am On Jan 14
God1000:

Enyeama is irreplaceable

Yes, Enyeama appears irreplaceable, but I do not think he is the best ever.
Attitude matters alot in a player, when it goes everything goes with it.

1 Like

Re: History: How Sunday Olisheh Kicked Out Vincent Enyeama From Super Eagles In 2015 by Friend22(m): 9:28am On Jan 14
ravensckar:
As much as I would have loved to continue having this discussion with you, my current work wouldn't permit. However, it's important that I point out a few things.

Firstly, the Mikel of U-20 was different from the Mikel that ended up at Chelsea & the Super Eagles. Even a village idiot can agree with that. As a result, he wouldn't even make the cut or rather remain on the bench at best. Why? He wouldn't bring in anything exceptional to the team.

JAY JAY (Creative midfielder, can dribble, long passer, good at set pieces, coordinates the midfield).
ORUMA (creative midfielder, attacking midfielder, good passer)

OLISEH (Good at marking, long passes, and can shoot).

ADEPOJU (defensive midfielder, can mark & good with the head).

Tell me, who will Mikel bench among the midfielders above?

Now coming back to Guardiola. You still didn't want to admit that he malt treated Yahya Toure? Seriously? That they didn't have any confrontation doesn't excuse what he did to the young man. Twice for that matter especially for no apparent reason. Again, history was kind to him because he won trophies and was successful.

To Mourinho, I completely agree with your take on him. No further comment.

In conclusion, most of these coaches you see have their different 'man management style'. Some are friendly to their players (which can be perceived to be weakness). Others are high-handed (which can be perceived to be stubborness). It's different stroke for different folks. However, history will only remember those that achieved success. I stand by my earlier view; Oliseh was a good coach, yes, he was a bit high-handed but I believe he would have turned the team around if given the necessary time and support. But you see this Pesseiro or whatever he calls himself, he's the Portuguese version of COACH FRANK LAMPARD. cheesy cheesy

Anytime you see majority of Nigerians lambasting a person know that that person has something good to give.

Despite Oliseh's indiscretions , I still feel he is the most knowledgeable and well grounded ex footballer who could have replicated what Dideir De schamps of France is doing for France.
To get a UEFA coaching license is not something you can get off the shelf.

To point out something, I have not seen any Nigerian player has passionate for Nigeria as Sunday Oliseh; not Enyeama , not even the noisy Mikel Obi.

You remember how Sunday Oliseh ,as the captain at that time was crying inconsolably in front our the vice president Atiku Abubakar after the Ghana-Nigeria Afcon 2000 final match lose to Cameroon? You can not fake such love and passion for your country.
Oliseh has been there and done that and no one can fault his love for his country.

Yes, he was a bit high handed while handling certain issues ,but he was trying to instil discipline and passion into the players at that time they lacked for the country.

I will personally pick Sunday Oliseh any day, any time over and above Mikel Obi.

If we are to recruit a local coach, I will still recommend Oliseh even if it's against public disapproval.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Egypt Vs Ghana - World Cup Play-off (2 - 1) On 19th November 2013 / Tickets For Messi’s US Debut Cost As Much As $110,000 / UCL: Osimhen Leads Napoli To Knockout Phase, Manchester United Crash Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.