Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? (44011 Views)

Why Is Flight Price Now Expensive In Nigeria (picture) / Lagos New Guidelines For Public Transport Operations / Lagos New BRT Buses: Analyzing The Facts And Figures - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by olisaEze(m): 10:32am On Jan 14
How many people do you think could afford that ticket fare back then, abi you think N17k in those days was moi-moi in a sachet?? grin

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by CHARLOE(m): 12:33pm On Jan 14
mariahAngel:
In what year was this?
It was still very expensive in my opinion.

I dare say it is easier to be rich (or at least well off) now than before, because the opportunities that are available now were not in those days.
The question u should be asking is : How much was naira to dollar then? Answer: N1:$1
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Judolisco(m): 4:19pm On Jan 14
kolaaderin:
And do you know the average income then, the 17k that year was enough to buy a clean car.
3 clean cars

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by stasius: 4:19pm On Jan 14
1985?

That was fvckinhg expensive man!!

How much was minimum wage then?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by oneMalik: 4:19pm On Jan 14
This is not 90s Sir OR Ma .

stop the lies and answer those questions above your comment .

tommy589:

People were contented with the little they had and basically lived within their means

Unlike today,7 crates of coca cola products was enough for young working couple to organise their marriage ceremony. But this fare was in the 90s

@ tonicyril, Shagari increased the minimum wage to 120 naira

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by rajiedreez: 4:21pm On Jan 14
Even though grin
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by oneMalik: 4:21pm On Jan 14
A brand new peugeot then was less than 3k.

Judolisco:
3 clean cars
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by agbademo(m): 4:22pm On Jan 14
Then that amount will buy you a plot of land in a good location, only the rich can afford it.... my dad bought his 404 Peugeot for #3,500 then, that sum was deducted from his salary for about 12years.... Nigeria was very good then but the amount was not easy to comeby.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by ABC101FF: 4:22pm On Jan 14
If I say what's on my mind a lot of stray humans here will have sense but since I get highly amused by their astute level of senseless, I prefer to hold my peace. Kindly keep standing on hopeless mandates.
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by oneMalik: 4:23pm On Jan 14
That money is more than 20millioin naira now .

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Sheriman(m): 4:25pm On Jan 14
17K was also a huge amount to fly at that time.
Average citizens can't still afford it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by LastProphet: 4:26pm On Jan 14
mariahAngel:
In what year was this?

I dare say it is easier to be rich (or at least well off) now than before, because the opportunities that are available now were not in those days.

You are right, that fare you see there could buy 2-3 brand new Peugeot 504 of it's time, the poster is a product of our poor educational system

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by oneMalik: 4:26pm On Jan 14
How much was peugeot-504 then ? and how many people has it ?

so forget your fvckin naira to dollar nonsense .

CHARLOE:

The question u should be asking is : How much was naira to dollar then? Answer: N1:$1

1 Like

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Judolisco(m): 4:26pm On Jan 14
oneMalik:
A brand new peugeot then was less than 3k.

I don't know d year Sha... But if it was in d 1970's 17k na big money and not everyone could afford it.... 17k in d US today is also big money and if u give an average American dat money e go happy like mad..... But if u give even pikin today 17k for Nigeria, d pikin fit no say thank you.... Na so our money Don take bad reach

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by vickydevoka(m): 4:26pm On Jan 14
mariahAngel:
In what year was this?

Very true

1 Like

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Newton1045: 4:27pm On Jan 14
kolaaderin:
the minimum wage then was less than 1k. That is almost 2 years of rigorous savings without mercy.

Minimum wage was less than 500.

In 1991, a supervisor in textile was earning 1k. Plenty money

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by abobote: 4:27pm On Jan 14
Very expensive then, considering that picture
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by AllenSpencer: 4:29pm On Jan 14
How much was minimum wage then?

Can a common man afford that price back at that time?

Days when the community will have to contribute to send you abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by tonicyril: 4:30pm On Jan 14
tommy589:

People were contented with the little they had and basically lived within their means

Unlike today,7 crates of coca cola products was enough for young working couple to organise their marriage ceremony. But this fare was in the 90s

@ tonicyril, Shagari increased the minimum wage to 120 naira

Thanks..so how many 120naira can we find in 17k??

And how many current minimum wage can we find in todays flight charge to the same destination??
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by tommy589(m): 4:30pm On Jan 14
oneMalik:
This is not 90s Sir OR Ma .

stop the lies and answer those questions above your comment .

Tell us the year since you know the truth
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by SMARTMOTORS(m): 4:31pm On Jan 14
I live in a GRA and one of my neighbors bought his 2plots of land for just #40. in those days. So omoo! That 17k fit build estate then oo!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Raskimonojendor: 4:37pm On Jan 14
chatinent:
sad
Was this also the era that brand new 504 vehicles was being sold for 5,000 naira.
That money is a lot of money back then ooo Oga.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by kay29000(m): 4:37pm On Jan 14
Feldie:
You think your parents had the 17k back then? Before you see 20 Naira body go tell you. People back then mainly survived on roast yam and palm oil

LMAO cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Evolutionism: 4:37pm On Jan 14
Such an unfortunate situation.
Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by poseidon12: 4:38pm On Jan 14
Feldie:
everyone? Are you seeing things? People in most towns and villages would troop out to watch tortoise car roll by as if it were some alien tech. How many people had cars in an entire town back then?

Back then, when you buy a motorcycle, people gathered to celebrate it with alcoholic drinks. But Nigeria was a normal society then, with people generally living within their means.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Juju70(m): 4:38pm On Jan 14
Are you all earning minimum wages? Jus asking mskewww

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Raskimonojendor: 4:39pm On Jan 14
kenny714433:
Do the calculations
Exactly, imagine how long it would take to save that amount.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by poseidon12: 4:40pm On Jan 14
Karlifate:
I know a retired soldier that bought the all roofing sheets of his house at ₦20 cheesy

He can't try that now, else... grin grin

Back then, #20 was a lot of money and not easy to come buy.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by Themandator: 4:40pm On Jan 14
chatinent:
sad

It is easier today than then to go to that New York.

Making money today is easier than then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos-New York Flight Price Throwback: This Was Nigeria. What Do You Think Now? by poseidon12: 4:44pm On Jan 14
agbademo:
Then that amount will buy you a plot of land in a good location, only the rich can afford it.... my dad bought his 404 Peugeot for #3,500 then, that sum was deducted from his salary for about 12years.... Nigeria was very good then but the amount was not easy to comeby.

That is how it is supposed to be. Nigeria was a normal society then. Today, everyone's eyes are open and majority are criminals.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Visit To Controversial Cairo Airport Stone Sculpture (photos) / Uyo, The Serene Paradise In Niger Delta - Pictures / Lady Knocked Down By A Hit & Run Driver In Abuja. Do You Know Her? (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.