Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips (12443 Views)

Bad Plantain Chips Rumour: NAFDAC Investigates Melting Rubber Into Oil / Hameed Ali: Imported Rice Is Poisonous - Customs Boss / Government Warns Residents On Poisonous Ponmo In Lagos Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by HeatSeeker(m): 12:54am On Jan 18
The Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency (LASCOPA) has cautioned resid against fried plantains popularly known as “plantain chips” made through unwholesome processes.

A viral post claiming a seller was seen making the snack using polythene has recently stirred safety concerns on social media.

The social media user who made the post, said the seller grated about five pieces of polythene and added it into the hot oil used in frying the plantain chips.

Out of shock l asked why she had to melt that into the oil. She told me that it is done to harden the chips so it doesn’t break. Oh my God! I couldn’t believe my ears,” the post reads.

"She then went on to ask me if I have ever wondered why the ones they sell in traffic is always firm and hardly breaks. People this is deadly.”

Reacting to the post in a statement on Tuesday, LASCOPA expressed deep concern about the health implications the practice may have on consumers.

The agency advised all consumers to exercise caution and be vigilant about where they purchase their plantain chips in order not to expose themselves to any harmful substances or preventable food poisoning.

The agency added that it is presently investigating the discovery and will take appropriate actions to protect consumers and hold those responsible accountable for the dangerous practice.

LASCOPA called on members of the public to assist in calling the attention of appropriate government agencies to all unfriendly and unlawful practices among sellers of consumable items that can put the health of consumers at risk.

“LASCOPA is located at No 2B, Soji Adepegba Close off Allen Avenue Ikeja with Annex offices situated within Badagry Local Government Secretariat, Bariga LCDA, Ikorodu Local Government and Ikoyi-Obalende LCDA,” the statement reads.

“The Agency can also be contacted via email at lascopa@lagosstate.gov.ng or lasgcopa@gmail.com or through the following phone numbers: 08124993885, 09064323154, and 08092509777.”

https://www.thecable.ng/lagos-consumer-agency-warns-residents-against-poisonous-plantain-chips/amp

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Gandollar(f): 6:38am On Jan 18
Na wa oooooo shocked

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Mvnster: 8:41am On Jan 18
Na we carry church and islam for head pass, yet so evil in the heart.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by ATEAMS: 9:11am On Jan 18
Nawaaoo
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by slaawomirr: 9:11am On Jan 18
Damnnn niggar
Na wa o

Alcohol and soft drink fake

Now plantain chips poisonous

Which way Nigeria
I even hear say the well loved Heineken bottle way men dey turn take dey jolly nor real again
Say most of it is not the real one

That the only real ones are those Heineken small small bottles sold in supermarkets

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Ayobamix(m): 9:11am On Jan 18
How?
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Trophy12: 9:12am On Jan 18
Lagos and madness are 5and6

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Space131: 9:12am On Jan 18
I make what ever am eating these days, nothing pure for Nigeria again

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Offpoint1: 9:12am On Jan 18
This one touch me cause na daily snack be this... Be like sey na only air person go learn to dey eat for naija.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by yesloaded: 9:12am On Jan 18
Wicked people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:12am On Jan 18
.........the seller grated about five pieces of polythene and added it into the hot oil used in frying the plantain chips.
What manner of people do we have in this nation for Krissake

Yet, Another one

Oh No, Not again! sad sad sad
Some bad Nigerians are always in the news for the very wrong reasons.
May God save Nigerians from these idiots that keep bringing the country to to disrepute.

Same kind of people we read, that produce fake teething powder for new born babies under 6 months old, sending many innocent newborns to their untimely death!

They turn worn out and old tires to brand new ones in their shops under 3 hours and sell it back to unsuspecting public as tokunbo tires!!! shocked
Causing many deaths on our roads by so doing!!

Anything and everything is money to them, even when innocent lives are in danger.
Bastards.

Guys,
Legit Hustle is the way to a good and beautiful life,
That you will enjoy your money with peace of mind.
Keep pushing on guys, One day Hustle go pay.
God no go shame una

neonly:
Unfortunately u won't get many likes here bro
What you just said is the truth.
May God bless our legit hustle
Likes? we don't post for likes sir.
We only make our post and move on.
But quote and mentions may help tho,
That helps the Ministry...BIGTIME wink

BTW,
We no be bro o,
We are simply WE!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by GreatAchiever1: 9:12am On Jan 18
Na for una wey dey chop all these kind things.
If you wan chop plantain chips, buy plantain, cut am small small, fry am yourself and chop.
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Anguldi(m): 9:12am On Jan 18
tongue
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by PlayerMeji: 9:12am On Jan 18
O ga on...

Plantain chips business is about to go down for some people..

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Anguldi(m): 9:13am On Jan 18
post=127997559:
Wow
Like your grills

1 Like

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by WesternPanzer: 9:13am On Jan 18
Story story ....

Leave matter for matthias joor.

Just tell us you want to damage this business model that is dominated by the people you love to hate.

If you had said about the oil viscosity, maybe the story would have been plausible.

"Adding Nylon to Oil to make chips stronger bawoo?"

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by sonnie10: 9:14am On Jan 18
No wonder we are hearing of many cases of cancer these days.
This is pure wickedness.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by datola: 9:14am On Jan 18
Wicked people .. all be cause of money
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Dankovich1: 9:14am On Jan 18
I learnt about this since over 4years now. Ever since then I don't by any chips whatsoever

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by oyeb15: 9:14am On Jan 18
Consumers should even be worried about the Lagos consumers agency.

You don't give me money and you say I should not collect money from somebody
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Osanoghodua1: 9:15am On Jan 18
Kill him/her
Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by highchief1: 9:15am On Jan 18
Space131:
I make what ever am eating these days, nothing pure for Nigeria again
how many things u wan make.so if u are travelling u carry ur gas and pots.its ok

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Lumig: 9:15am On Jan 18
What Nigerians cannot do for money does not exist. Most common man are devil's incarnate, which makes them to get the kind of leaders they have.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Sangoamadioha1: 9:15am On Jan 18
Trophy12:
Lagos and madness are 5and6

This is all over Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by Jaykrown: 9:16am On Jan 18
Hmm.. This one weak me oo

1 Like

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by jmoore(m): 9:17am On Jan 18
Your akpu/fufu is processed with detergent.

All these stuff with no brand names ehh.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:18am On Jan 18
Anguldi:

Like your grills
Yeah, you right Anguldi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by DKM123: 9:18am On Jan 18
Some people think committing mur*"der is straight forward. This plantain sellers who do this are pure murd£rers who have the heart of st0ne!

To think it's kids that mostly eat this chips. The long term bioaccumulation of the toxins and the consequent carcinogenic effects on this innocent kids in the future is scary to imagine.
What humans do for money! SMH

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Consumer Agency Warns Residents Against ‘poisonous’ Plantain Chips by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:18am On Jan 18
Jaykrown:
Hmm.. This one weak me oo
No be small tin ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

DKM123:
Some people think committing mur*"der is straight forward. This plantain sellers who do this are pure murd£rer!
END OF THREAD.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Medicinal Benefits Of Scent Leaves(ocimum Gratissimum) / What Are You Having For Lunch / why do people hate pap (Ogi) so much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.