Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 (6803 Views)

CBN Destroys Over ₦‎6 Trillion Banknotes Under Buhari / FG Removes Electricity Subsidy Quietly, Petrol In Phases / Zainab Ahmed: Nigeria’s Debt May Jump By ₦6 Trillion To Hit ₦38 Trillion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by Olaideolayemi(m): 3:03pm On Jan 18
They should share pre paid meter to all the
citizens of the country.All prepaid meter should be affordable..Nobody will be paying overestimated bill..Which 1.6 trillion subsidy..Na wayo...Bad leadership everywhere..

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by microgiant: 3:05pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

The problem is, these subsides are why the sector cannot make enough of a profit to fix things.

Also, budgeting subsides is one thing, whether the subsides can cover the losses made by selling power below production cost, and by produiction cost rising over the year is another thing.

Remember, this is what government is paying for 2024, If cost of gas shoots up this year, the 1.6 trillion might not be enough to cover it. Also, oil prices may drop, and the money may not be there.

Finally, subsides are paid for by tax in developed countries, and are not given to everyone. In Nigeria, we pay for it from oil money, which from the word go is not enough for all of us, plus our tax to gdp is too low to pay for subsides.

Thousands of tractors block Berlin as farmers protest over fuel subsidy cuts

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/15/thousands-tractors-block-berlin-farmers-protest-fuel-subsidy-cuts

and they are one of the most industrialised nation on earth.

nairalanda1 are you a robot?

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 3:11pm On Jan 18
microgiant:

Thousands of tractors block Berlin as farmers protest over fuel subsidy cuts

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/15/thousands-tractors-block-berlin-farmers-protest-fuel-subsidy-cuts

and they are one of the most industrialised nation on earth.

nairalanda1 are you a robot?

Germany has a higher rate of government income from tax, and also has a higher gdp, and runs a diversified economy. More money to fund subsidy.

Also, the subsides in Germany are production subsidies, being paid to farmers to reduce their cost of production. Not the Nigerian version where power companies set prices that make them lose money, 30% of their customers or more are not paying...lose more money, and the subsidy does not cover the losses adequately....subsidy paid to cover losses.

If we were to do as the Germans, half of everyone's income would be going up for tax. Then we would have to be an exporter of industrial products...which we are not.

Our two million barrels of crude...less than even...is not enough to pay for all we need. Unless we were at 8 MILLION people.

At the end, we are not Germany and we cannot afford German level subsides.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 3:12pm On Jan 18
microgiant:

are you a robot?

My comments do not need to make you lose your temper. They are, after all, comments. Not an Order from the God.
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by Teymanhenry(f): 3:18pm On Jan 18
That won't really relief the sufferings of the common Nigerian. Remove subsidy so that we can survive

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by ericmor: 3:54pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

Well, I think it isn't good to ignore yours, because you show a basic misunderstanding of what I am saying.

Because power is sold below its cost of production on orders from government, the power sector runs at a loss.

The losses are in theory covered for by subsidies budgeted for at the begining of the year. In pracitice these are not sufficient to cover the losses because production cost keeps rising, and cannot be controlled by government.

One of the ways production cost risies is the fact that gas used in power supply is paid for in dollars. As you know, naira is falling against the dollar. You need more naira to pay for dollars. You can guess the result. (Gas companies refuse to accept payments in naira).

This is why the power companies cannot make a profit, and why you have to buy transformers and suchlike. It is because they are running at a loss.

(Let's not forget...AS MUCH AS 30-50% of NIGERIANS DO NOT PAY FOR POWER AT ALL...whether it is billing or meter.When you have a business that is running at a loss, and people are not paying, too, where is the money to fix and expand things going to come from?)

That is why you should vote out PDP, LP, APC, AND NNPP....and vote for one of the smaller parties. You should have done so in 2023, like I did, you can do so in 2027

Also, owners of DISCOS and GENCOS are not making return on investment. They are so broke that they cannot pay tax, and they cannot make ends meet.....because government sets their prices, and the subsidy government pays them is inadequate, and again a large percentage of their customers do not pay for power. All that adds up.

They arein't making as much money as they should. Three discos are already being run by their creditors instead of the original owners.. One other (rumored to be owned by Atiku) is under the defacto control of the government because they could no longer cope. The rest struggle.

Would you let the government set your prices, if you were a businessman, so that your poor customers can breathe more easily?

Is defending the right to set one's prices a defence of corruption in government ?

You are really missing the point.

SMH

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 4:46pm On Jan 18
ericmor:

SMH

Well, no matter how you feel, things must be sold at a profit...electricity included.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by ericmor: 5:11pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

Well, no matter how you feel, things must be sold at a profit...electricity included.

You people are everywhere, I just feel so sorry for the weak people of Nigeria most especially the uneducated ones that you uses English to deceive. Still SMH

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 5:12pm On Jan 18
ericmor:

You people are everywhere, I just feel so sorry for the weak people of Nigeria most especially the uneducated ones that you uses English to deceive. Still SMH

Well, things must be sold at a profit, be it food, clothes, cars.....and electric power.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by ericmor: 5:14pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

Well, things must be sold at a profit, be it food, clothes, cars.....and electric power.

Wait, are you on 24hrs contract or what?

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 5:19pm On Jan 18
ericmor:

Wait, are you on 24hrs contract or what?

Yes, and mockery does not change the fact, that power must be sold at a profit for it to work.

Yes, and you are not enjoying 24 hours power, because it is not sold at a profit and has never been, because government listens to people like you and sells it at a loss, because it is essential. cheesy

Well, your idea has not worked.

Enjoy.

Goodnight, little girl.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by moradeke42109: 7:51pm On Jan 18
Another way to stealAnother way to steal...
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by obesse: 8:26pm On Jan 18
[quote author=ericmor post=128005276]
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 8:29pm On Jan 18
obesse:

Somebody needs to get Nairalanda1 a job! A real job!!! I made him an offer but he was too shy to accept it on this forum!
grin

All this because of the simple fact that things have to be sold at a profit? My simple comment is making you lose your head?

Seems like i make people run electrons on this site

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by ericmor: 8:46pm On Jan 18
[quote author=obesse post=128009373]
Somebody needs to get Nairalanda1 a job! A real job!!! I made him an offer but he was too shy to accept it on this forum!
grin
[/quote

Lol. No wonder
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by omokab: 8:50pm On Jan 18
ericmor:

15k bawo, you must be living in face me and slap u where you sheared the bills the total amount is 90k lowest sometimes 100k and how they arrived at the amount is what we don't know
maybe you are living in an industrial area . I live in 4 bedroom flat in Ibadan and what they brought is 15k.
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by obesse: 8:51pm On Jan 18
shocked
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by remele2(f): 8:56pm On Jan 18
Ok oooo.. that amount to pay for Darkness abi..

Una weldone ooooo.. FG FG

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by obesse: 9:26pm On Jan 18
Toh!
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 9:34pm On Jan 18
obesse:

Go get a life. At least for the sake of your unborn children.
I don talk my own o!
Shikenan! cheesy

Well, things must be sold at a profit.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 9:41pm On Jan 18
ericmor:

Well, whatever you and your friend think of me, and no matter how much both of you mock me, (and no mattter how much I may lose the electrons over the mockery) it does not change the fact that things have to be sold at a profit....especially electric power.

I am surprised that such economic facts is making you and obesse behave like little children at the playground, and not the mature family men you both are.

Well, the matter is still clear. Electric power has to be sold at a profit, people have to stop stealing power, and we would end up having 24/7 power, no corruption or low corruption, and plenty of jobs...

Jobs that you and your mother can take up, at very good salaires. And I will be happy for all of you.

Power being sold at a profit is a fact of life. It needn't make you weep, cry, and mock, and be petty.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by obesse: 9:51pm On Jan 18
Hmm
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by Lightorder: 9:53pm On Jan 18
Nbote:
Which one b dis againo ooooooo. The same subsidy you people have removed time and time again by jacking up electricity tariffs?? Now we know subsidy is just a name these bunch of thieves use to steal Nigerians blind
That IDIOT you mentioned is so useless that he is one of those , whose doings and undoing got Nigeria to where she is today. Very stupid imp I would have liked to slap very well in real life

In as much as I am tempted to highlight the foolishness in your comment, I'll focus more on highlighting the crass ignorance of your statement. Some of your try to sound wise and end up exposing the emptiness in your heads. Show me one of the civilized worlds where I have to pay for transformers purchase and maintenance, pay for installation infrastructure including cables and even prepaid meters and still pay for the units. The nauseating attitude of comparing developed parts of the world with these parts shows just how completely uninformed some of you are when trying to sound politically correct
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by Lightorder: 9:54pm On Jan 18
Nbote:
Which one b dis againo ooooooo. The same subsidy you people have removed time and time again by jacking up electricity tariffs?? Now we know subsidy is just a name these bunch of thieves use to steal Nigerians blind

In as much as I am tempted to highlight the foolishness in your comment, I'll focus more on highlighting the crass ignorance of your statement. Some of your try to sound wise and end up exposing the emptiness in your heads. Show me one of the civilized worlds where I have to pay for transformers purchase and maintenance, pay for installation infrastructure including cables and even prepaid meters and still pay for the units. The nauseating attitude of comparing developed parts of the world with these parts shows just how completely uninformed some of you are when trying to sound politically correct
That IDIOT you mentioned is so useless that he is one of those , whose doings and undoing got Nigeria to where she is today. Very stupid imp I would have liked to slap very well in real life
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 18
obesse:

Now you are sounding like a broken record!
grin grin grin grin grin

It does not matter how I sound, or how silly I sound to you, or how wrong I sound to you.

It does not matter whether I convince you, or not.

At the end, it is a fact of life, that if things are not sold at a profit, anarchy, corruption, and poor service results.

But you claim to be running a business, and then you come and justify my setting prices for you assuming I was in government, and in charge of the economy, and felt that your business was being unfair to the poor.

But then again, you are here to be popular, and I am here to express my opinion, popular or no. I don't care anymore really.

Just find it amusing that you lose your shit over the fact that I think that electricity has to be sold at a profit.

I wonder how you would feel when I tell you that I believe that you should eat yam every fifth day for health.....you would probably burn down your house in anger at my comment.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by obesse: 10:23pm On Jan 18
grin
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by nairalanda1(m): 10:25pm On Jan 18
obesse:

Dear Broken Record, please keep repeating the same thing. Don't stop! Take that as a command. Everybody knows you have nowhere to go; but I have to prepare for tomorrow's business. So, I must sleep now.
Little wonder they say an idle hand/mind is the devil's workshop!
Remember the instruction I have given you: keep repeating yourself like a broken record.
Shikenan!

So my simple comment is making you abusive, and also making you command me.

I wonder if my opinion that may your business tomorrow be prosperous would make you go and permamently close down your business so as to prevent my good wishes from hitting it.

Good lord.

1 Like

Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by Masterdazhem: 2:59am On Jan 19
obinna58:
It seems Nigeria can not just work, divide this country let everybody rest.
Re: FG To Pay N1.6 Trillion For Electricity Subsidy In 2024 by ericmor: 7:01pm On Jan 20
omokab:
maybe you are living in an industrial area . I live in 4 bedroom flat in Ibadan and what they brought is 15k.

I see, Ibadan far to Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jubilation!! Presidency Nominates Two Qualified Igbo Senators To Replace Saraki / CJN, Tanko Study Law Without English & Mathematics (PHOTOS) / Katsina Evacuates IDPs To Niger Republic, Local Councils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.