Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex (2075 Views)

Lebanon Becomes First Arab Country To Legalize Cannabis / American Women Go Nude To Rally Voters Against Republicans / Canada Passes Bill To Legalize Recreational Marijuana Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Obrigardo: 12:28pm On Jan 18
Kentucky Republican Pushes Bill to Make Sex With First Cousin Not Incest

A Kentucky Republican introduced legislation that would amend the state's law so a person who had sex with their first cousin would no longer be criminally liable for incest, before withdrawing it and claiming an error was made during the drafting process.
House Bill 269, which state Representative Nick Wilson sponsored, was introduced on January 16 to the House Committee on Committees. According to the Kentucky General Assembly website, it would have struck "first cousin from the list of familial relationships" defined as unlawful incest in the state. In a statement sent to Newsweek, Wilson described this as a "mistake" in a wider bill intended to extend legal protection against incest, which he'd withdrawn and refiled leaving the "first cousin" reference in place.
Wilson, then a 27-year-old public defender, first shot to prominence when he won the 37th season of the CBS reality TV show Survivor in 2018, called Survivor: David vs. Goliath, before returning for the 40th season, featuring the winners from previous shows in 2020. In November 2022, Wilson ran unopposed for the 82nd District of the Kentucky House after Republican incumbent Regina Huff retired.
Kentucky law states that a person is guilty of incest if they engage in sexual relations with a person they know to be "his or her parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, great-grandparent, great-grandchild, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, brother, sister, first cousin, ancestor, or descendent." The initial amendment introduced by Wilson, if passed, would have removed first cousin from this list.

Both the initial and updated version of Wilson's bill would also amend Kentucky law on parole for violent offenders to include a person "who has been convicted of incest by sexual contact" within the definition.

In a statement provided to Newsweek, Wilson described the part in his initial legislation removing first cousins from the illegal incest list as a mistake that had since been rectified.
He commented: "I filed HB 269 yesterday.

The purpose of the bill is to add 'sexual contact' to the incest statute. Currently, incest only applies in cases of intercourse. So sexual touching/groping by uncles, stepdads or anyone with a familial relationship is not included in incest. My bill makes that kind of sexual contact a Class D Felony, unless the victim is under the age of 12, then it increases the penalty to a Class C Felony.
"During the drafting process, there was an inadvertent change, which struck 'first cousins' from the list of relationships included under the incest statute, and I failed to add it back in.

During today's session, I will withdraw HB 269 and refile a bill with the 'first cousin' language intact. The fact that I was able to file a bill, catch the mistake, withdraw the bill and refile within a 24-hour period shows that we have a good system.

"This is a bill to combat a problem of familial and cyclical abuse that transcends generations of Kentuckians. I understand that I made a mistake, but I sincerely hope my mistake doesn't hurt the chances of the corrected version of the bill. It is a good bill, and I hope it will get a second chance."

Wilson's initial bill was called "truly insane" by Eliza Orlins, a New York public defender who previously appeared as a contestant on Survivor: Vanuatu and Survivor.

https://www.newsweek.com/kentucky-bill-sex-first-cousins-not-incest-nick-wilson-1861398

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by ddippset(m): 12:38pm On Jan 18
Next they will leagalize siblings sex.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by nairavsdollars(f): 12:41pm On Jan 18
Animal in human skin

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by TrackerSK: 1:03pm On Jan 18
Most people, sleep with their cousins.
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by anonymous1759(m): 1:10pm On Jan 18
Man made rules, if we all met these rules it wouldn’t be alien to us. I know someone from jigawa who married his first cousin, he said marrying first cousin is not a taboo in their place , that it helps to strengthen the bond of marriage . I don’t know how true can anyone from that part confirm ?

3 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Moneyyman: 1:24pm On Jan 18
People married their cousins in the Bible.

The issue with first-cousins marriage comes from the increased likelihood of genetic defects.

anonymous1759:
Man made rules, if we all met these rules it wouldn’t be alien to us. I know someone from jigawa who married his first cousin, he said marrying first cousin is not a taboo in their place , that it helps to strengthen the bond of marriage . I don’t know how true can anyone from that part confirm ?

9 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by ShoeGetSize: 1:39pm On Jan 18
In a world where DEMONRATS have already legalised same sex marriage and tranny indoctrination, this looks like child's play.

Obrigardo:

Kentucky Republican Pushes Bill to Make Sex With First Cousin Not Incest

A Kentucky Republican introduced legislation that would amend the state's law so a person who had sex with their first cousin would no longer be criminally liable for incest, before withdrawing it and claiming an error was made during the drafting process.
House Bill 269, which state Representative Nick Wilson sponsored, was introduced on January 16 to the House Committee on Committees. According to the Kentucky General Assembly website, it would have struck "first cousin from the list of familial relationships" defined as unlawful incest in the state. In a statement sent to Newsweek, Wilson described this as a "mistake" in a wider bill intended to extend legal protection against incest, which he'd withdrawn and refiled leaving the "first cousin" reference in place.
Wilson, then a 27-year-old public defender, first shot to prominence when he won the 37th season of the CBS reality TV show Survivor in 2018, called Survivor: David vs. Goliath, before returning for the 40th season, featuring the winners from previous shows in 2020. In November 2022, Wilson ran unopposed for the 82nd District of the Kentucky House after Republican incumbent Regina Huff retired.
Kentucky law states that a person is guilty of incest if they engage in sexual relations with a person they know to be "his or her parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, great-grandparent, great-grandchild, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, brother, sister, first cousin, ancestor, or descendent." The initial amendment introduced by Wilson, if passed, would have removed first cousin from this list.

Both the initial and updated version of Wilson's bill would also amend Kentucky law on parole for violent offenders to include a person "who has been convicted of incest by sexual contact" within the definition.

In a statement provided to Newsweek, Wilson described the part in his initial legislation removing first cousins from the illegal incest list as a mistake that had since been rectified.
He commented: "I filed HB 269 yesterday.

The purpose of the bill is to add 'sexual contact' to the incest statute. Currently, incest only applies in cases of intercourse. So sexual touching/groping by uncles, stepdads or anyone with a familial relationship is not included in incest. My bill makes that kind of sexual contact a Class D Felony, unless the victim is under the age of 12, then it increases the penalty to a Class C Felony.
"During the drafting process, there was an inadvertent change, which struck 'first cousins' from the list of relationships included under the incest statute, and I failed to add it back in.

During today's session, I will withdraw HB 269 and refile a bill with the 'first cousin' language intact. The fact that I was able to file a bill, catch the mistake, withdraw the bill and refile within a 24-hour period shows that we have a good system.

"This is a bill to combat a problem of familial and cyclical abuse that transcends generations of Kentuckians. I understand that I made a mistake, but I sincerely hope my mistake doesn't hurt the chances of the corrected version of the bill. It is a good bill, and I hope it will get a second chance."

Wilson's initial bill was called "truly insane" by Eliza Orlins, a New York public defender who previously appeared as a contestant on Survivor: Vanuatu and Survivor.

https://www.newsweek.com/kentucky-bill-sex-first-cousins-not-incest-nick-wilson-1861398

ddippset:
Next they will leagalize siblings sex.

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 1:45pm On Jan 18
New Sodom
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 1:47pm On Jan 18
Moneyyman:
People married their cousins in the Bible.

The issue with first-cousins marriage comes from the increased likelihood of genetic defects.

That was before the Law

The Law was against it and the offspring have Serious Medical Issues

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Throwback: 1:51pm On Jan 18
Considering that many of the royalties in Europe married their own cousins, even 1st cousin.

It has no business being grouped as incest to begin with.

5 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by hafeeanubasy: 1:54pm On Jan 18
christistruth01:

That was before the Law

Which LAW?

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by nairalanda1(m): 1:56pm On Jan 18
christistruth01:

That was before the Law

Old testament law did not forbid first cousin marriage. Infact it was quite common in the USA...until there was improved understanding of genetics in the 20th century that led to laws being passed against it.

Even then, it is still common in many parts of the world (and taboo in others).

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 1:58pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

Old testament law did not forbid first cousin marriage. Infact it was quite common in the USA...until there was improved understanding of genetics in the 20th century that led to laws being passed against it.

Even then, it is still common in many parts of the world (and taboo in others).

It did
Brother and Sister cannot marry and the Bible classifies Cousins as brother and Sisters because their Parents are Siblings

Lot was Abraham's Nephew but the Bible also called Lot Abraham's brother though he was actually the Son of Abraham's brother

Leviticus 18:14
English Standard Version
14 You shall not uncover the unclothedness of your father's brother, that is, you shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt.
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by nairalanda1(m): 2:02pm On Jan 18
christistruth01:

It did
Brother and Sister cannot marry and the Bible classifies Cousins as brother and Sisters because their Parents are Siblings

No, cousins were not classified as brothers and sisters in the bible.

Here is an analysis of the appropriate scripture.

First cousin marriages were common among Jews until the 20th century, as well as in other parts (even among christians).

Here in Africa, most of us regard it as taboo anyway. Some don't.

3 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 2:07pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

No, cousins were not classified as brothers and sisters in the bible.

Here is an analysis of the appropriate scripture.

First cousin marriages were common among Jews until the 20th century, as well as in other parts (even among christians).

Here in Africa, most of us regard it as taboo anyway. Some don't.

It does
Even the Catholic Church and Orthodox churches banned it

Here it is you must not dishonour your close relative
Cousins are close relatives

Leviticus 20:19
Leviticus 20:19 (NIV)
“ ‘Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.
The Bible called Lot who was Abraham Nephew his Brother

Remember Cousins are from the Same Family House either
On Mother or Fathers side

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Melagros(m): 2:11pm On Jan 18
That's why you see why we're praying for Russia to reclaim her lost world power status so that all these nonsense coming from the west should end

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by BondRiv: 2:11pm On Jan 18
Ew, of all the things they could legislate on.
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by fineberry(m): 2:18pm On Jan 18
Why is emphasis on first cousin and not all your cousin's? That's one. Another is, are we now saying that out of all the women/men in the world;it's now your cousin that is next to start developing feelings for.
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Popesuccess(m): 2:25pm On Jan 18
anonymous1759:
That true. People from the core north do that. I grew up in kano, they use to date, have sex or marry their First Cousins. The Arabs do that also. In Bible times, they do it also.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by nairalanda1(m): 2:29pm On Jan 18
christistruth01:

It does
Even the Catholic Church and Orthodox churches banned it

They do now, (note, I am not defending cousin marriages)

Here it is you must not dishonour your close relative
Cousins are close relatives

True, but there is a clear definition of who close relatives are, and it does not include cousin

Leviticus 20:19
Leviticus 20:19 (NIV)
“ ‘Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.

That is actually an aunt....not a cousin.

The Bible called Lot who was Abraham Nephew his Brother

And Abraham married his sister, Issac married his cousin, and Jacob married his father's cousin's daughters....

Remember Cousins are from the Same Family House either
On Mother or Fathers side

More like children of your father's brother and sister, and your mother's brother and sister.

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Popesuccess(m): 2:32pm On Jan 18
christistruth01:

It did

Lot was Abraham's Nephew but the Bible also called Lot Abraham's brother though he was actually the Son of Abraham's brother

Leviticus 18:14
English Standard Version
14 You shall not uncover the unclothedness of your father's brother, that is, you shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt.
Sarah is Abrahams younger sister( but different mothers). Rebeka and Isaac are cousins. Jecob married two of his cousins, Lear and Rachel.

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Beautifulday: 2:37pm On Jan 18
These guys have an agenda we don't know yet
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by kokoA(m): 2:37pm On Jan 18
anonymous1759:
Islam allows it, you can marry your uncle's daughter.

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Beautifulday: 2:38pm On Jan 18
Popesuccess:
Sarah is Abrahams younger sister( but different mothers). Rebeka and Isaac are cousins. Jecob married two of his cousins, Lear and Rachel.

E b like you dey knack your cousin them on code.

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Gadafii: 2:38pm On Jan 18
If they can push for same sex, I am not surprised at first cousin sex

Btw, rugged unruly thunder fire tilinbu and his team of clueless ineffective clowns

2 Likes

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 2:38pm On Jan 18
Popesuccess:

That was before the Law
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Natbrowny: 2:38pm On Jan 18
If i marry from my Home town.

Chances are 99.9% that I'm marrying a long distant relative

Na relatives f*uck each other born all of us... Anywhere i mention my name and surname. Dem sabi am. Same with others too.

Na why some people dey marry outside their home town.

I no go mention my town. Same goes with other towns too. If i travel go places, this one sabi that one family members reach greatgrand parents

1 Like

Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 2:41pm On Jan 18
nairalanda1:

They do now, (note, I am not defending cousin marriages)

True, but there is a clear definition of who close relatives are, and it does not include cousin

That is actually an aunt....not a cousin.

And Abraham married his sister, Issac married his cousin, and Jacob married his father's cousin's daughters....

More like children of your father's brother and sister, and your mother's brother and sister.

Abraham and Sarah married before the Law
Noah was Abraham's Great Grandfather and Population then was not much like after Isreal left Egypt

Cousins are Close Relatives And are forbidden from Marrying

Even our own Forefathers knew it
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by Seunpapa65: 3:08pm On Jan 18
Onyinbo no get problem so they have to create one for them self
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by tishbite43: 3:11pm On Jan 18
This is incestuous
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by tishbite43: 3:13pm On Jan 18
I'm from Ahaba and we don't marry from the same quarters.
You have to marry a boy or girl from another quarter to avoid incest.
Ahaba is divided into 5 quarters and these quarters have several villages.
Re: Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex by christistruth01: 3:14pm On Jan 18
Popesuccess:

Noah who came out of the Ark with 7 family members was their Great Grandfather

How many people were on Earth at the time
Few

(1) (2) (Reply)

Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans / New Poll Shows That Idiot, Incompetent,liar Are The Words Used To Describe Trump / South Africans Dead Pose Challenge, Check Out The Scary Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.