Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? (15012 Views)

Faith Patricia Ariokot: Ugandan Sets Record For The Longest Time To Hug A Tree / Where Can I Get Non GMO Corn Or Native Corn? / Why Nigerian Slay Queens Should Embrace Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by JuanDeDios: 7:55am On Jan 21
In an open letter to EU leaders, 34 Noble Prize winners have asked the EU to reconsider its stance on GM food, asking EU lawmakers to ‘reject fearmongering’ and allow scientists to develop crops that can withstand ‘climate emergency’.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/19/nobel-laureates-call-on-eu-to-relax-rules-on-genetic-modification

Honestly, I think the EU can do without GM food – they have a small population, fertile land and good technology. Yet, for Europe, I think it’s not a matter of IF but WHEN they will accept GM food.

But what about Africa? Our population is still rising geometrically and we can’t feed too many of our people. The future will be worse because there will be more people and more droughts. We need technology to feed our people. Is it time to embrace GM food? Notably, the fears expressed over GM food many years ago have now failed to materialize. So what is the basis for continuing to reject them? What do you think?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by RepoMan007: 8:26am On Jan 21
Regarding Africa, Why not embrace technology (mechanization) to the maximum from around 20%-30% we current do before running to GMOs?

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by HeatSeeker(m): 8:35am On Jan 21
Unfortunately... sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by JuanDeDios: 8:37am On Jan 21
RepoMan007:
Regarding Africa, Why not embrace technology (mechanization) to the maximum from around 20%-30% we current do before running to GMOs?
Good point. But - (1) Do we have the MONEY for the scale of mechanization that will solve our food problem? I mean, it's not that we don't know about mechanization, something has stopped us from doing it yet. (2) More droughts are coming and they're lasting longer. Will mechanization fix that?
Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by soccerlite: 4:58pm On Jan 24
Why did EU lawmakers rejected gmo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by JuanDeDios: 10:18am On Feb 15
soccerlite:

Why did EU lawmakers rejected gmo
Hysteria. Suspicion. Understandable (for something new), but it wasn't based on science. It's only a matter of time now before the EU embraces GMO.

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Curiouscity(m): 6:49pm On Feb 15
JuanDeDios:

Hysteria. Suspicion. Understandable (for something new), but it wasn't based on science. It's only a matter of time now before the EU embraces GMO.

I don't think it is hysteria or suspicion. It is scientific. If you have indept idea of the biochemistry of foods, as it relates to the physiology of the human body, you would avoid GMOs as much it is possible. Ask yourself, do the rich owners of these GMO promoting companies consume GMOs? Why do most rich people and renowned scientists avoid GMOs?

One of the major precursors of cancer is MUTATION. GMO is produced via mutations. The DNA and RNA backbones of GMOS are already altered, and if they get into the human system may cause a different mutation that may lead to life threatening consequences.

GMO should not the first or only option for food security. My opinion though.

81 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by JuanDeDios: 7:42pm On Feb 15
Curiouscity:

I don't think it is hysteria or suspicion. It is scientific. If you have indept idea of the biochemistry of foods, as it relates to the physiology of the human body, you would avoid GMOs as much it is possible. Ask yourself, do the rich owners of these GMO promoting companies consume GMOs? Why do most rich people and renowned scientists avoid GMOs?

One of the major precursors of cancer is MUTATION. GMO is produced via mutations. The DNA and RNA backbones of GMOS are already altered, and if they get into the human system may cause a different mutation that may lead to life threatening consequences.

I'm curious as to the bolded - do you have evidence they don't? smiley I know people who have headed companies and worked marketing: the fact is that some of the people you mentioned are not allowed not to eat these things - they have to. Do you know what would happen the day the Washington Post gets wind of the fact he doesn't eat it? His multibillion investment is gone.

As for its rejection being scientific, the fact is that the initial fears have not materialised. I understand what you wrote, but science doesn't work like that–which is why science is fact-based. For example, groundnut contains known carcinogens, yet there is zero evidence that groundnuts actually cause cancer. See? That is why the EU is about to change its stance - because evidence has failed to show up that GMOs ACTUALLY cause cancer.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by soccerlite: 9:57pm On Feb 15
JuanDeDios:

They fear of unknown

GMO fruits full Europe sha
Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Lalami3232(m): 12:41pm On Apr 02
While others are wishing to embrace GMO food, I'm here wishing for all men to go for DNA test if they didn't meet their wives as virgins.

Oga if you no meet your wife as a virgin, oga go for DNA test oooooo because boreholes aka non-virgins can't be trusted

4 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by seanwilliam(m): 12:41pm On Apr 02
Huh
Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Onyedikachi231: 12:42pm On Apr 02
What is wrong with it?

You've been eating GMO grains and crops since.

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Tjra: 12:42pm On Apr 02
CANCER

3 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Vilgax: 12:42pm On Apr 02
For generations, we've been consuming GM crops without issue. The hysteria surrounding GMOs is unwarranted. Attached are images of natural corn, bananas, and carrots. If you're not eating crops that resemble these, you're consuming GMOs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by meum: 12:46pm On Apr 02
Are you ready for what will follow?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Onyedikachi231: 12:48pm On Apr 02
Curiouscity:

Sir, please stop misleading people, it is not right, make thunder no fire you.

No one is rejecting GMO crops, it is not harmful anything. Do your due diligence in research before saying some of these things, In Nigeria we consume GMO foods if you don't know.

1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Angelfrost(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02
I hope to be long gone from this world before Nigeria does something as dumb as that...!

Op, who is lying to you that Nigeria can't sustainably feed even twice its population?!!

Last time I checked, this nation still has plenty of 'unfarmed' and uncultivated arable lands across the country... The biggest issues plaguing food production remain:

1. Insecurity: this is the biggest issue.

2. Corruption: every dime donated and apportioned towards mechanization and fertilizers gets diverted by government officials.

3. Government Policies: How many state governors are investing and looking into food production across the nation?

Op, don't ever deceive yourself... Non-GMO lifestyle remains the unarguable best way to live anywhere in this world.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Onyedikachi231: 12:49pm On Apr 02
meum:
Are you ready for what will follow?

nothing will follow, stop mongering Nonsense information.

without GMO crops, famine fit set in.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by omoredia: 12:51pm On Apr 02
Hunger wan kill agbadorians small time na to enter cemetery to see free meat to chop

2 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by yesloaded: 12:51pm On Apr 02
What we need is birth control

It's sickening seeing a man who earn less than 100k per month marrying 2 wives and gave birth to more than 10 children

We need to educate the illiterates about the danger of giving birth to children like bed bugs

On a norm, each married couple should give birth to only 2 or maximum of 3 children, give them quality education or professional trade

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Onyedikachi231: 12:52pm On Apr 02
Angelfrost:
I hope to be long gone from this world before Nigeria does something as dumb as that...!

So the biscuits, cereals and co you consume, Nobody told you that it is GMO grains that were used to make them?
Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Angelfrost(m): 12:56pm On Apr 02
Onyedikachi231:

So the biscuits, cereals and co you consume, Nobody told you that it is GMO grains that were used to make them?

...And who told you I consume those things above??! Do you think I'm that careless about what I put into my body??!

Even abroad, a lot of people grow their own food, and painstakingly avoid GMOs at all costs.

Form woke elsewhere abeg.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by talk2hb1(m): 12:57pm On Apr 02
GM food or Mechanised farming
This should be our focus
Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by SeriouslySense(m): 1:06pm On Apr 02
no never.

It time to improve security for farmers, and to improve the techniques and ways of farming not GMO.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by SouthSouth1914: 1:07pm On Apr 02
GMO foods are introduced in other to crack your rNA which is the key to your DNA. To what end this is done, nobody knows!

Stay off GMOs.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by WeirdAlien: 1:10pm On Apr 02
Huh?
Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by ScamDemicEra: 1:10pm On Apr 02
Angelfrost:

...And who told you I consume those things above??! Do you think I'm that careless about what I put into my body??!

Even abroad, a lot of people grow their own food, and painstakingly avoid GMOs at all costs.

Form woke elsewhere abeg.

....... like COVID Vaccine apostles, these guys locked minds can never be unlocked by facts or logic.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by InvertedHammer: 1:11pm On Apr 02
RepoMan007:
/
Most of the grains they share are GMOs.
One noticeable thing about us is the quest to embrace anything introduced from the West. While people are shying away from carcinogenic pizza, noddles, etc; we embraced it with open hands. China is ever willing to dump edible rubbish in our markets knowing that NAFDAC is overstretched. Then we have our brothers ganish it with all kinds of Bitters in the market.
Anyone with the fund should invest heavily in Dialysis machines. Kidney problems are here to stay.
/

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Ajsmart(m): 1:15pm On Apr 02
100% pure, unadulterated TRUTH! In addition, GMO is a also a de-population control platform for the rich as at some point in the future they can determine which nations/regions get starved.

Curiouscity:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Christistruth00: 1:15pm On Apr 02
Are they paying you?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by Ajsmart(m): 1:17pm On Apr 02
TRUTH!

SeriouslySense:
no never.

It time to improve security for farmers, and to improve the techniques and ways of farming not GMO.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time To Embrace GMO Food? by GreatAchiever1: 1:22pm On Apr 02
No abeg.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EU Lifts Ban On Beans Exportation From Nigeria. / Agriculture Will Replace Crude Oil / Updated - How To Construct a Snail House for Snail Farming Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.