Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,044 members, 7,838,626 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Pope Calls For End To Violence In Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Calls For End To Violence In Nigeria (501 Views)

Human Rights Group Calls For Commutal Of Rev King’s Sentence / Pope Calls For Respect Between Christians And Muslims / New Date For End Of The World: January 1 2017 - Sword Of God Cult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pope Calls For End To Violence In Nigeria by VoodooDoll(m): 5:40pm On Nov 06, 2011
Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) -- Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday called for an end to violence in Nigeria, after an outbreak of bomb and gun attacks left more than 100 people dead.

"I am following with apprehension the tragic episodes that have taken place in Nigeria over the last days," the pontiff said during his weekly Sunday Angelus prayer. "While I pray for the victims, I invite an end to the violence, which doesn't resolve the problems but increase them, sowing hatred and divisions even amongst the faithful."

The attacks targeted police stations, mosques and churches in northeastern Nigeria, the Red Cross said.
Scores of people, potentially more than 100, were injured in a three-hour rampage in the Yobe state city of Damaturu, according to Ibrahim Bulama of the Red Cross. More than 100 people died in what he described as "a very bad scene." Bulama initially said 63 people died, but revised the death toll upward Sunday.

Gunmen first attacked the police headquarters and the anti-terror office before moving to churches and mosques, he said. Most of the casualties were police officers.
In Potiskum, also located in Yobe state, gunmen attacked a book shop near the police station, killing two and injuring five, the Red Cross said.

The Friday attacks came the same day that suicide bombers suspected of belonging to a militant Islamist group targeted a military base in nearby Maiduguri.
Three suicide bombers drove a stolen black SUV toward a Joint Task Force headquarters, but could not get through the gate, military spokesman Lt. Col. Hassan Mohammed said. The blast damaged the roofs and walls of the base.

Mohammed said two other simultaneous explosions took place at other military facilities. An unspecified number of Nigerian soldiers suffered injuries.
Saturday evening, a suicide bomber launched another attack in Maiduguri, Mohammed said. No casualties were reported except for the bomber.
He blamed the militant group Boko Haram for the attacks.

Loosely translated, the group's name means "Western education is sinful." It wants to establish a state based on Sharia, or Islamic law, in northern Nigeria.

The Red Cross official said Boko Haram is suspected in the Damaturu attack as well.
Re: Pope Calls For End To Violence In Nigeria by VoodooDoll(m): 5:40pm On Nov 06, 2011
Re: Pope Calls For End To Violence In Nigeria by Mpetempe(m): 10:12pm On Nov 06, 2011
I Pray They Listen To Pope.

(1) (Reply)

Place Your Confidence In Christ / Where Can I Go From Your Spirit? Where Can I Flee From Your Presence? (psalm 139 / Christian Crusader Soldiers From The West Giving Hope To The Muslims Of Somalia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.