Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,632 members, 7,813,088 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists (5123 Views)

Tinubu Insists He Brought Buhari To Power And Will Succeed Him / My Cabinet Will Be Based On Merit And National Spread- Buhari / Atiku, 40% Of My Cabinet Will Be Women And Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by adenigga(m): 4:45am On Jan 23
President Bola Tinubu has justified his cabinet of 47 ministers saying the number reflects the diversity of roles required to run an efficient government.

The president expressed doubt about reducing his cabinet, saying no guarantee this would boost performance

He also urged the leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria to propagate the message of tolerance and hope amongst Nigerians, warning that the opposite could damage the country beyond repair.

Tinubu, who emphasised the role of faith leaders in fostering unity and peace in the country, also said his administration would not relent in addressing corruption and other vices as such endeavour sets the country right for the prosperity of all Nigerians.

“If you combine too many ministries because you want to save money, you will have a future of non-performance and no results,” Tinubu said when he received a delegation of the CAN, led by its President, Daniel Okoh, at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, revealed this in a statement he signed on Monday titled, ‘President Tinubu to CAN leadership: we will continue to fight corruption; Nigeria is ours to fix.

Tinubu acknowledged criticisms over his heavily-staffed cabinet. However, he said merging portfolios would only heap some officials with more burdens than they can bear.

Former Presidents Muhammadu Buhari, Goodluck Jonathan, Umaru Yar’Adua, and Olusegun Obasanjo had maintained relatively smaller cabinets. In his first and second tenure, Buhari appointed 36 and 42 ministers respectively.

In 2011, his predecessor, Jonathan, named 33 ministerial-nominees, retaining nine persons from the Yar’Adua administration.

In 2007, Yar’Adua appointed 39 persons into his cabinet. Obasanjo initially named 42 ministers in 1999 but later shed two roles. He also reduced the number of ministries to 20 before the end of his tenure in 2007.

However, President Tinubu named 48 ministers, the highest in Nigeria’s 24-year return to democracy.

Justifying this move, he said, “I have had a number of criticisms, including the rationale behind the size of my cabinet. If you want efficient, mobile, and resourceful people, we have to give people a load they can carry.”

“If you combine too many ministries because you want to save money, you will have a future of non-performance and no results.

“Nigeria needs to turn the corner to grow, and we must give people challenges they can manage, and that is what we are doing,” the President added.

President Tinubu also called on Christian leaders to support the administration’s ongoing fight against corruption by encouraging Nigerians to have a change of mindset on money-related matters.

He said, “Let us dialogue because public condemnation of a nation is not what makes any citizen a good one.

“We must admonish Nigerians to have a change of mindset and not to make money our god or master. I believe we will get to the Promised Land, and Nigeria will flourish.”

The President also called for inputs from the clergy saying his administration will continue to maintain its open-door policy.

“We are here to listen, and if you observe any inadequacies in my government, let us know. I am here today because of your prayers and the will of God Almighty. What I have challenged myself to do each day is to be fair to all Nigerians.”

In his remarks, Okoh urged President Tinubu not to relent in providing good governance by ensuring security, inclusivity, and peaceful co-existence in the country.

He said, “You have extended a hand of fellowship to us, and we embrace you and your family with the love of Christ and promise to partner with you in nation-building, for the task is quite daunting. You will not stumble, and you will not fall.

“We believe that you have the sagacity to give leadership in battling our challenges and turning around the fortunes of our nation, Nigeria, within a short time. You have shown that you are a listening leader, and we appreciate this.

“CAN has maintained an active presence at all levels, from the national to the grassroots, and we have remained non-partisan. You will always find our association as a ready and willing partner in nation-building.”
Source: https://punchng.com/Reducing-cabinet-will-affect-performance-Tinubu-insists

2 Likes

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by cenaman(m): 4:48am On Jan 23
Give tilumbu 20yrs to rule he wont change anything, rather he will take us 20yrs backward. Give him $1k worth of white powder and watch him turn it to multi millions dollars in a month.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by BigBlackPreek(m): 5:15am On Jan 23
Ashiwaju Jagaban Presido

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Blakjewelry(m): 5:31am On Jan 23
I pray you succeed because that is my prayer for every president even I support you or not because if you fail, it will affect us all and if you succeed, it a win for all of us.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by TANID(m): 5:45am On Jan 23
Blakjewelry:
I pray you succeed because that is my prayer for every president even I support you or not because if you fail, it will affect us all and if you succeed, it a win for all of us.

1 Like

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by correctyourself(m): 5:47am On Jan 23
Yes i think the president is right on this, if you over stress someone with too much work you wouldn't get positive results.

The main problem is the mind set of those in authorities who loot our money by way of contracts awards, collecting kick-back, awards contract to their companies, relations, friends.
Civil servants raising dubious memo with cost implications to embezzle money once they get approvals, shared the money across the rings of those who append signatures as approvals, this continues as long as they remain in service, this why some of them changed their date of birth to prolong their year in service grin

They're the foundation of corruption in the ministry not really the political appointees who only append signatures after the civil servants must have succeeded in selling the idea to them. grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by iwaeda: 8:02am On Jan 23
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/Reducing-cabinet-will-affect-performance-Tinubu-insists

Overbloated team, doing nothing, what is the impact of Ministries of Agriculture, Water Resources abi Blue ocean, Environment, Housing, External affairs. The only one seemingly working is Interior, Tunji-Ojo. APC is sinking Nigeria to abject poverty.
grin grin grin

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Kelebanta: 8:02am On Jan 23

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by nicho450(m): 8:03am On Jan 23
Give him the benefit of doubt...

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by bigdammyj: 8:03am On Jan 23
Okay.
Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by EdiskyHarry: 8:04am On Jan 23
You should be ashamed that since you came into Nigeria, the masses are in severe pains, hardship, hunger and misery.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by christejames(m): 8:04am On Jan 23
Are you even making any slight positive performance for us to see? undecided

If you like, jack the number up by 2...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by adesegun121(m): 8:04am On Jan 23
Ok oo
Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by advanceDNA: 8:04am On Jan 23
Somebody should ask him ....

which performance?

Y'all just collect salary, bullet proof cars and waste tax prayers money

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by skywalker240(m): 8:05am On Jan 23
Clueless

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by mrrandomguy: 8:05am On Jan 23
Large cabinet or not, Nigeria's problem is spiritual.
Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by taiwotimitt: 8:05am On Jan 23
Registering your business with CAC with improve your business performance and effectiveness.

Me self insist grin
Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by SoNature(m): 8:06am On Jan 23
There are 47 ministers but only 5 active ministers. This goes to show that Nigerians come to public service to serve their pockets and family members.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by AFYH1: 8:06am On Jan 23
Blakjewelry:
Did you say "if you fail". Someone that has failed already

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by lexy2014: 8:07am On Jan 23
Blakjewelry:
Is it by prayer?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by DaTruths: 8:08am On Jan 23
Even if you employ all APC criminals, Tinubu has already failed.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Vischy: 8:09am On Jan 23
Blakjewelry:

You knew it will affect us all and you voted failures because of tribalism.

Story for the gods...

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Blakjewelry(m): 8:09am On Jan 23
AFYH1:

Did you say "if you fail". Someone that has failed already
Nope he hasn't, he only made some very tough choices.

1 Like

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by ZombidiotFools: 8:09am On Jan 23
God bless Jagaban, what a wise man would sit down and see, a child that climbs an iroko tree won't still be able to see it.

1 Like

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Vischy: 8:11am On Jan 23
lexy2014:
Is it by prayer?

They decided to use God given brains to vote in idiots,only to start praying for change.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Demigod22: 8:11am On Jan 23
An African adage says; when a new dance is learnt, the fool always take his own step to the left.

We have thirty six States in Nigeria and since we are so conscious of representation, thirty six Ministers is okay for any serious government to function effectively.

I understand the diversity of our country, but the advance democracies we so much model our lives after, how many Ministers do they have, the USA?

We are just giving all these clueless kleptomaniacs opportunity to loot.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by seguno2: 8:11am On Jan 23
adenigga:

It will affect the performance of thieves like Betta Edu working for the master thiefNuibu

What performance has Tinubu’s APC achieved since May? Or even since 2015, except higher inflation, more jobless people, increased insecurity etc?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by Blakjewelry(m): 8:12am On Jan 23
lexy2014:
Is it by prayer?
Its funny you take it in literal terms, pray you win doesn't mean I am religious. I don't believe in some imaginary deity somewhere pulling some strings.

2 Likes

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by gaskiyamagana: 8:13am On Jan 23
Almost a year now, nothing to show.
Increase in cabinet is never solution. Dealing with corruption and blocking the linkages , in Nigeria" sources of income is one.

2 Likes

Re: Reducing Cabinet Will Affect Performance, Tinubu Insists by seguno2: 8:13am On Jan 23
Demigod22:
An African adage says; when a new dance is learnt, the fool always take his own step to the left.

We have thirty six States in Nigeria and since we are so conscious of representation, thirty six Ministers is okay for any serious government to function effectively.

I understand the diversity of our country, but the advance democracies we so much model our lives after, how many Ministers do they have, the USA?

We are just giving all these clueless kleptomaniacs opportunity to loot.

You nailed it boss.
Preach, preach it sir.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

100 Trillion Zimbabwean Dollars Equals 40 U.S. Cents (see picture) / Now That BMC Has Taken Over Nairaland / Ondo 2020 Election’ll Be Easy For Us, Says APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.