Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. (1020 Views)

Social Distancing Among Nursery School Kids In France After Resumption (Pics) / Photos Of Kids In Public Schools In Different Countries Eating Lunch / Akomolafe Olatunji, Nigerian Philantropist, Donates To 300 Kids In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Popesuccess(m): 8:36am On Jan 23
From primary 1 to SS 3, i never stayed in school till 2pm. And i still passed WAEC & JAMB. Today most of our kids come home from school by 3, 4 or 5pm, in the name of school lessons. They come home with about 3 to 6 home works. In my opinion, this is to much for this children, why should a primary school learners be doing 16 subjects? Some parents will still have house lessons for their children after the school lesson, no time to play or rest. Some them will graduate with good grades but without any social skills to succeed in our tough society.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by FarmPlanetNG: 8:40am On Jan 23
I have complained about this over and over amd over

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Patented: 9:08am On Jan 23
I agree and I have said the same thing over and over again. However, one of the reasons why schools offer after lessons and parents opt for it is because in this current age, both parents tend to have to work and may not live close to the office and cannot be home on time if the kids were to close at 1 or 2pm. So the schools keep the kids and then the parents pay for that. However, I would prefer that during this time the kids did fun stuff like sports or creative arts and the likes without pressure, rather than a continuation of structured schooling
Popesuccess:
From primary 1 to SS 3, i never stayed in school till 2pm. And i still passed WAEC & JAMB. Today most of our kids come home from school by 3, 4 or 5pm, in the name of school lessons. They come home with about 3 to 6 home works. In my opinion, this is to much for this children, why should a primary school learners be doing 16 subjects? Some parents will still have house lessons for their children after the school lesson, no time to play or rest. Some them will graduate with good grades but without any social skills to succeed in our tough society.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Natbrowny: 9:10am On Jan 23
I can say that every Nigerian has or have complained about this bullshit directly or indirectly.

Instead make we dey teach technical education during the extra lessons..

We r all about the degree with zero innovativeness and creativity.

Its sad and its a shame

16 Likes

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by CandidAdmin(m): 10:49am On Jan 23
I blame the eduction system.

6 Likes

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Tohsynetita1: 1:15pm On Jan 23
teachers do it for survival and parents allow it for privacy and freedom from school work like assignment, and to keep those kids busy so as not to engage in evil vices. But that of survival for teachers is the most important.

2 Likes

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by david123anderso: 1:58pm On Jan 23
I appreciate your contributions to the forum because they allowed me to submit useful information.Unlocking academic excellence, one assignment at a time—Do My Assignment Canada is your passport to stress-free success.
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by bodejohn(m): 2:19pm On Jan 23
Some bit of this problem is cultural, most people assume more is better, so a school forcing 15 subjects down the throat of students will be preferred to the ones doing 12.

After the Ebola outbreak 2014, most schools announced extra school hours to cover for the delayed resumption. I insisted my kids won't be part of it and since it wasn't because of the payment of the extra fee, the school had no choice but to allow my kids leave at the normal closing hour. My kids have never attended holiday coaching and never had extra lesson teachers.

At the end of that term, there was no difference in the academic performance of my kids and the other students who stayed back.

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by arcnomec(m): 5:00pm On Jan 23
If one teacher can't teach all the subject, why then force a kid to learn all the subject?

10 Likes

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Lingudy(m): 5:01pm On Jan 23
Patented:
I agree and I have said the same thing over and over again. However, one of the reasons why schools offer after lessons and parents opt for it is because in this current age, both parents tend to have to work and may not live close to the office and cannot be home on time if the kids were to close at 1 or 2pm. So the schools keep the kids and then the parents pay for that. However, I would prefer that during this time the kids did fun stuff like sports or creative arts and the likes without pressure, rather than a continuation of structured schooling
You have a good point sir.
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Inspirer1: 7:43pm On Jan 23
They will even give them take home assignments that will require an already stressed out parent to start making research online undecided, or having the need to try to buy items/materials to be brought to school sad angry

2 Likes

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Popesuccess(m): 9:15pm On Jan 23
Inspirer1:
They will even give them take home assignments that will require an already stressed out parent to start making research online undecided, or having the need to try to buy items/materials to be brought to school sad angry

Some time they will give a child 6 home works.

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by fortunez1(m): 1:10am On Jan 24
Inspirer1:

I did return some of the useless assignment until my wife forced me to calm down on it. Why plenty assignment after spending 8-3pm

2 Likes

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by 9japride(m): 2:29am On Jan 24
Popesuccess:
[color=#006600][/color]

It's a well coordinated technique to programme children not to think outside the box.
Children are very creative. With all the education, what's really the benefits? No job, no conducive environment to even start a business.

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Peakdesign23(m): 4:58am On Jan 24
This thread is quite interesting, the educational aspect of Nigeria especially from primary to secondary are gradually turning to universities. It’s a pity that parents want their wards to participate in all aspect by force. Too bad!
I once taught in a boarding school, these children end up sleeping in class, from 8am-4pm, afterwards they prepare for night prep. It’s too much for God’s sake.

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by michlins(m): 5:51am On Jan 24
You will expect the ministry of education to do something but no, they will be stupid and ignore these problems

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by mrdharkchild(m): 7:27am On Jan 24
Kids are just lazy.
U think good results or education don't help?
Think again.

You're parents are pushing you to fo better, but you're too lazy, so you created this thread to justify your laziness.

School is not for lazy people, you know
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by xcolanto(m): 7:35am On Jan 24
This should be interesting.
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Bukola94: 7:39am On Jan 24
Popesuccess:
They nearly burst our brains, but we used to it. If you study educational courses, you will be used to it in college and university
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by LeeSmart: 8:07am On Jan 24
Popesuccess:
The one wey dey pain me pass na those ones (parents) wey go organize extra lessons for their children during holiday.
E get why dem dey call am HOLIDAY

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by christejames(m): 8:14am On Jan 24
Some schools even take it to the extreme thinking they are doing the best for the wards forgetting about the laws of diminishing return.

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Rebelutionary: 8:18am On Jan 24
arcnomec:
If one teacher can't teach all the subject, why then force a kid to learn all the subject?

This is profoundly thought provoking

1 Like

Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by Talkisneeded: 8:22am On Jan 24
I don't have kids yet, but the mammoth assignment these kids takes home during holidays is certainly not it.

I tactically evades my cousins and neighbour's kids during holidays..
You can't come and kill me...

I sell herbs
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by ITbomb(m): 8:23am On Jan 24
Look at it this way
The social skills you mentioned were gotten from parent and relatives. Nowadays, everybody is busy, an average parent does not want his ward to be home before 5 because, in most instances, nobody will be at home.
Housemaids are getting scarier, community life where neighbors or relatives help supervise play time has disappeared.
Therefore the safest place the child can be before the parent comes back from work is school
Re: Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. by MrBroke(m): 8:40am On Jan 24
My kids ain't going to no regular schools. I don't believe in that Bullshit system

(1) (Reply)

Why Waste Your Precious Time Jogging: The Understanding + The Alternative / Any1 From University Of Portsmouth? / Unilag Post Ume Cutoff Mark 2009/2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.