Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison (7453 Views)

FG Withdraws Power Of Attorney For 40% Shares In Discos From BPE / Tinubu Sacks Irukera (FCCPC CEO), Okoh (DG, BPE) / EFCC Operatives Forced Me To Agree To Refund N1 Billion – Ex-BPE DG, Dikki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Papparassi: 10:30pm On Jan 26

The supreme court has upheld the 30-day prison sentence of Alex Okoh, former director-general (DG) of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), for failing to obey an order since 2012.

In the judgment delivered on Friday, the apex court also awarded N20 million cost against Okoh and BPE in favour of BFIGroup, a Nigerian-American consortium.

BACKGROUND

In December 2019, Anwuli Chikere, judge of a federal high court in Abuja, ordered the arrest and imprisonment of Okoh.

The judge accused Okoh of serial disobedience of the supreme court order over the ownership controversy of the Aluminium Smelter Company of Nigeria (ALSCON).

BFIG had won the bid to take over ALSCON in 2004 but was disqualified by the BPE under the leadership of Okoh.

In 2012, the supreme court declared BFIG the rightful winner of the bid for ALSCON but the BPE refused to hand over ownership to the firm.

BFIG initiated a contempt suit against the BPE and Okoh, its DG, for failing to obey the supreme court order.

However, despite being issued a notice of the commencement of contempt proceedings, popularly called Form 48 which stated the consequences of disobeying court order, the BPE DG refused to appear in court to answer to the allegations against him.

The federal high court held that the continued refusal of Okoh to obey the supreme court order was a fundamental violation of the rule of law, which portrayed the government as lawless.

In January 2022, the court of appeal upheld the judgment of the federal high court.

APPEAL AT SUPREME COURT

Dissatisfied with the court of appeal decision, the BPE filed an appeal before the supreme court.

However, the appeal was dismissed on Friday.

Aside from the N20 million fine, the apex court issued an order of perpetual injunction restraining BPE from going into any negotiations or contract with any other investor over the sale of the federal government equity in ALSCON.

Also, the court ordered the immediate sack from the plant of UC RUSAL, a Russian firm, that the BPE handed over the plant to after cancelling the declaration of BFIG as winner of the bid.

Meanwhile, early in January, President Bola Tinubu sacked Okoh from office as BPE DG

https://www.thecable.ng/contempt-of-court-scourt-upholds-committal-of-ex-bpe-dg-alex-okoh-to-prison/amp

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by 111sunshine: 6:23am On Jan 27
Very good...

Nigerians in position of trust always find a way to connive with foreigners to steal our commonwealth.

Case in point is this despicable man that sold ALSCON to the Russians who have gone ahead to strip off the massive equipments in ALSCON despite that a competent bidder won the sale process...

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Sabadon(m): 6:24am On Jan 27
undecided

Why is the average Nigerian just corrupt

7 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Gten(m): 6:24am On Jan 27
The many travails of Okoh
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by billionman: 6:25am On Jan 27
This man is suppose to be a well accomplished man and a pastor too, now he has been made to understand that no one is above the law. Kudos to the supreme court on this.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by DenreleDave(m): 6:26am On Jan 27
Sabadon:
undecided

Like I use to say, this is the corruption percentage of Nigeria;

Govt : 10%

Nigerians: 90% (Religion 15%, Tribe 15%, Greed 60%)

Govt only constitution little of our problem due to some policy that doesn't work but don't forget that's we don't import rulers, same Nigerians enter govt and start Misbehaving.

So sad

15 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Henix(m): 6:29am On Jan 27
Was he thinking that he is above the law earlier?

He probably have interest in the Russian firm that the BPE handed over the plant to after cancelling the declaration of BFIG as winner of the bid.

Corruption has mercilessly dealt with Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by LEARNPYTHON(m): 6:29am On Jan 27
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Bobloco: 6:30am On Jan 27
Okoh go don kolo by now. Its not just raining on him, it's pouring

Sacked by Tinubu this January, send to prison this same January

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by skj1377(m): 6:30am On Jan 27
Why is it that once corruption is discovered to have been perpetrated by an easterner the consequences is severe. I have noticed this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by michlins(m): 6:37am On Jan 27
Sabadon:
undecided

it's very obvious that you didn't read the article.

You should try and read it now to understand what was discussed there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by BigBlackPreek(m): 6:42am On Jan 27
Imprisoned or not, the money has already been embezzle and gone for forever, corruption will not finish this country one day

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Demurray: 6:49am On Jan 27
Case started in 2012 and finalized in 2024.12 good years! Nigeria my country, what were they doing since? Giving Okoh time to gather more money before he finally left

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Chekwume16(m): 6:50am On Jan 27
Victm mentality always. This why I have refused to be associated with easterners. Let me remain my anioma delta. You were here when someone like kalu was released from prison like never done before but he is not igbo I suppose. Okoh is even from agbor. A people who believe they are from benin and don't want anything to do with igbos
skj1377:
Why is it that once corruption is discovered to have been perpetrated by an easterner the consequences is severe. I have noticed this.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Mandem2: 6:55am On Jan 27
Tinubu is doing well with this one. Imagine that the activities of this company (ALSCON) has been in limbo since 2004. SMH!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by free2ryhme: 6:57am On Jan 27
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Tjra: 7:38am On Jan 27
Court just dey jail anybody these days. No sacred cows again.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by skj1377(m): 7:40am On Jan 27
Chekwume16:
Victm mentality always. This why I have refused to be associated with easterners. Let me remain my anioma delta. You were here when someone like kalu was released from prison like never done before but he is not igbo I suppose. Okoh is even from agbor. A people who believe they are from benin and don't want anything to do with igbos

Sorry, if I knew I would have kept quiet. That place is known for deadly armed robbery attacks on travellers . Hmmm.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by SaLongs1(m): 7:50am On Jan 27
billionman:
This man is suppose to be a well accomplished man and a pastor too, now he has been made to understand that no one is above the law. Kudos to the supreme court on this.
So he is a Pastor too? No wonder!! I have always said that religion is just a cover.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by SaLongs1(m): 7:54am On Jan 27
They should have added lashes of the cane to the idiot!
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Exousiang01: 8:01am On Jan 27
skj1377:

How fast can we give these folks their Biafra Abeg.
Let them go, where ever they want to go.
This one has brought tribe into this.
Why are guys like This?
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by axglide(m): 8:05am On Jan 27
Damn since growing up I have been hearing about ALSCON, so it has been in limbo since; even Ajaokuta steel company; damn again shocked this nation is bleeding mehn cry

ALSCON held so much promise but things never picked up.

This judgement is a good one. The man thinks he is above the law, even using BPE resources to take a case to the Supreme Court. He personally have a stake with RUSAL the Russian firm.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Anijay1212(m): 8:13am On Jan 27
angry
Long overdue.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by Dpharisee: 8:38am On Jan 27
Chekwume16:
Both you and the person you quoted are talking nonsense, wetin bring Igbos inside this matter. Let the man serve his punishment, I don't think any Igbo person gives a rat ass, how many Igbos benefited from the corruption in BPE grin
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by OkoEmm: 9:35am On Jan 27
111sunshine:
Very good...

Nigerians in position of trust always find a way to connive with foreigners to steal our commonwealth.

Case in point is this despicable man that sold ALSCON to the Russians who have gone ahead to strip off the massive equipments in ALSCON despite that a competent bidder won the sale process...

Just to add up to what you have mentioned and I come in peace.

RUSAL, the current owners of ALSON account for 6% of aluminium production globally. Its owned by Russian oligarch Deri olepaska. Roman Abrahimovich used to be one pf the largest shareholders.

RUSAL tried reviving the facility but the cost of producing 1 ton of aluminum was over $2,000 per ton due to gas constraints and cost of imported alumina(energy cost account for 30% of proudicyion). Aluminium trades slightly over $2,000.

Rusal average opex cost in most of its smeltersin Russia and Co. is less than $1,500 per ton.

That Alson facility would most likely not see the light pf the day in years to come.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison by tishbite43: 12:14pm On Jan 27
Chekwume16:
Yoruba
Shut up

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apology Latter To The Igbos From South Southerns / 40 Alleged Quotes From President ROBERT MUGABE That Will Make Your Day. / Igbos, Please Leave The Niger Delta Alone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.