Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! (9375 Views)

How To Switch To A Career In Data Analysis / I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! / Confused! To Study Pharmacy Or Procced To Nursing School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by drimzsmoke(m): 1:15pm On Jan 30
psychologist:
Dear Op
I might be forced to say “Nursing Is overrated in Nigeria”
I have a friend that studied nursing in one of the prestigious Fed uni in Nigeria, graduated with a 2.1

Next month will make it a year she graduated and she is still looking for a place that can accept her for her mandatory 1 year internship.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
You're LYING!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Free2Fly: 1:16pm On Jan 30
psychologist:
Dear Op
I have a friend that studied nursing in one of the prestigious Fed uni in Nigeria, graduated with a 2.1

Next month will make it a year she graduated and she is still looking for a place that can accept her for her mandatory 1 year internship.

That's just an insignificant obstacle.
When she manages to scale through that, she won't suffer the joblessness you suffered/are suffering as a Psychologist in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Gentlesoul2021(m): 1:24pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
I graduated from Lautech and my undergraduate study was prolonged due to strike that's why I now prefer a private university

What's your set...?!
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Uyi168: 1:26pm On Jan 30
dawnomike:
Go back to the school you graduated from, speak to your HOD and yhe dean of your faculty.
If you were a good student, they will help you to speak to the department of nursing to enter as a direct entry Student straight to 200 level.

E nor easy as u dy talk am so
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Gentlesoul2021(m): 1:29pm On Jan 30
psychologist:
Dear Op

Clinical sciences are still facing this ish... I thought they are exempted from all these struggles...
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Uyi168: 1:30pm On Jan 30
drimzsmoke:

She had 2.2 in BCH, She can NEVER cope with Medicine!!!
Any determine, hardworking student can do well in medicine.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by msrcusgarvey6(m): 1:33pm On Jan 30
Yes. In addition Nigerians these days look round their comfort zones, though bad news follows everywhere

Free2Fly:

That's just an insignificant obstacle.
When she manages to scale through that, she won't suffer the joblessness you suffered/are suffering as a Psychologist in Nigeria.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Deemamadee: 1:37pm On Jan 30
I'm actually scared of medicine o, I prefer nursing
Judolisco:
why not study medicine instead... Nursing is 5 yrs plus 1 Yr internship..... Jst kuku close eyes study medicine.... Go to a private uni if u get money...

I for Don do like you, instead I went for my msc... Now since 2022 I never finish because of yeye strike
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Judolisco(m): 1:46pm On Jan 30
drimzsmoke:

baba 4get d 2:2 ish... Some people get motivation from doing what they like..... I graduated with 2:1 doing d course I don't like... If I had studied what I wanted to study and not what d university gave me I would have finished with first class

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Skoolextra: 1:46pm On Jan 30
If you are thinking travelling abroad go for nursing. Doctors from Nigeria can't practice medicine just like that. I know one medical doctor in Canada who presently in a nursing school in Canada
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Judolisco(m): 1:47pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
I'm actually scared of medicine o, I prefer nursing
Toor if u are scared no put head oh... Nursing 2 no easy Sha
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by alexvic12: 1:49pm On Jan 30
Hi, Deemamadee

Hear these:

1. If that is your goal, then close your mind to other things that may take your time and attention. Of course, you can do online and even offline businesses, but know that you would be occupied for the next six years (allowing for ASUUstrike).

2. Your goal is valid and achievable. Don't let anyone tell you it is late or you can't do it.

3. I'll advise you to target a private institution if you have the funds, but a federal/state institution works just as fine.

4. You may not get Direct entry (DE), so register UTME and aim for high scores.

5. Nursing schools are great alternatives. You can do a SON and even move abroad to work (some countries accept the diploma). Nigeria has also rebranded SONs to become 4-year and 5-year diplomas.

JUST DO IT.
Don't think of time or missed opportunities.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Drshobz(m): 1:51pm On Jan 30
Love800:
Is it better for him to start nursing from undergraduate program?

Schooling in uk is not our own school system

I think it is 2 years programme for those that did not do nursing during their undergraduate study and 1 year programme for those that did nursing
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Focusmind: 1:53pm On Jan 30
As long as your target is to practice abroad, it is fine but if you are studying nursing in order to have a career in Nigeria, hunger dey o

If you have money, try the two year diploma programs in practical nursing in Canada or UK. You will recoup the investment
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Love800(m): 2:12pm On Jan 30
U got me wrong.

Am trying to say dat he will be better for him to hold dat undergradute nursing degree also. Not just masters only.
Drshobz:

Schooling in uk is not our own school system

I think it is 2 years programme for those that did not do nursing during their undergraduate study and 1 year programme for those that did nursing
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by drimzsmoke(m): 2:26pm On Jan 30
Uyi168:
Any determine, hardworking student can do well in medicine.

I had 4.3 something CGPA in microbiology, I used to drink, smoke A LOT, I only read when they paste exam timetable and MCB was just tooo easy for me, it was boring. In med school however, I had no social life, just church, books and classes. I had resit in Paediatrics.
Maybe private universities sha o, but no public school will pick you for Medicine with a CGPA of less than 3.5!!!
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Exceed15: 3:07pm On Jan 30
Switching to nursing I think Is Wise move. It's very lucrative and are hot cake in UK Now.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by wiseoneking: 3:12pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
Hi nairalanders, please I need people that has passed through this to help me suggestions
I'm a graduate of biochemistry (second class lower) and I'll like to study nursing
I'm thinking of studying in a private university here in Nigeria or studying abroad
I don't know if I'm qualified for the direct entry or I start a fresh and in confused to which school to choose
As for studying abroad I have no information whatsoever on how to go about it
I need advice from you dear nairalanders. Thank you
I can help you with info on abroad nursing. Get in touch with me.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Damidave1124(m): 3:38pm On Jan 30
epainos:

If you have money to study abroad, I will tell you the options you have before you rush into nursing. Nigerians always rush into what many people talk about.

The hype about nursing is high because most developed nations' citizens do not want to do the job. Despite the somehow pay increment, they still don't want to do it.

Dearest, since you are into biochemistry look into:

1. Genetical Science and Gene Editing: You will be dazzled with what you will become after your masters in this course. If you master gene editing with one of the latest technology, your future is secured. Read about CRISPR-cas9 and the wonders it is doing in plant, animal
and human science.

2. Microorganisms study: You can go into any area in plants and seeds, animals or humans. If you know the future of the study of microorganisms, you will get my point.

3. Environmental Science and Ecology. This area is too wide. You can look into regenerative agriculture, carbon cycle and areas around it, clean energy, renewable energy, etc.

Let me tell you...biochemistry is one of the best foundational courses to launch into a disruptive technological career. Soil science is huge now also.

Good luck!

N.B. This post is for those planning to study abroad. If you go into any of these courses in Naija now....na hunger go reformat your brain.
Good afternoon bro.
Can you tell me more about the soil science aspect?
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Agdjjrbbsj1463: 3:55pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
Hi nairalanders, please I need people that has passed through this to help me suggestions
I'm a graduate of biochemistry (second class lower) and I'll like to study nursing
I'm thinking of studying in a private university here in Nigeria or studying abroad
I don't know if I'm qualified for the direct entry or I start a fresh and in confused to which school to choose

You can apply for direct entry to any school to study nursing with second class lower. For better chances CGPA of 3.0 is better. If you do like the school you graduated from they will take you with second lower even 2.5 since you are an alumni.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by epainos: 4:04pm On Jan 30
Damidave1124:

Good afternoon bro.
Can you tell me more about the soil science aspect?
Go check postgraduate masters in the US, UK, Australia, Canada and EU, you will find so many scholarships in environmental science and ecology. Have you heard about global warming?

The world economy is based on oil, and it is the first cause of global warming. Therefore, oil companies are made to invest in cycling carbon back into the soil. The carbon cycle business is a lucrative one.

Escape of carbon from the soil is why Agriculture is hard these days; therefore, the basis of balancing the ecosystem is knowing how to make the soil trap carbon back into it. Such that as oil companies are blowing away carbon from the earth, some experts are trapping it back. The United Nations aim to get as many soil experts to come into the business and trap more carbon into the soil than what oil companies are releasing into the atmosphere. This is why there are so many scholarships in this area.

So, anyone who gets into soil science and joins the regenerative agriculture movement is going to make it. This is the future. And who are the top researchers in this field? They are microbiologists. Now is the time to let go of chemistry and embrace biology (nature) to rebuild the soil with its natural ability.

Also, cleaning oil spillages with microorganisms in oceans (read how mushrooms are used for cleaning up) is another hot cake area one can go into.

Production of natural food is the talk all over the world now. Bill Gates is acquiring more land in the US for Agriculture and more soil scientists will be employed.

See...production of milk and the dairy business is a billion-dollar market anywhere, and people think livestock production is knowing how to take care of the animals and venturing into veterinary medicine is the best way. Nope. Soil scientists are the most needed personnel even in livestock production because grasses conversion to milk and meat is the way to calculate how successful the business is. Veterinary doctors will be on holiday when livestock have excellent grasses to feed on.

Human beings will say bye-bye to cancer the moment we remove chemicals from food production. Dementia, infections and autoimmune diseases will naturally fade away when the microorganism in the ecosystem is balanced the way nature wants them.

The foundation of life is soil...and we are beginning to realise that taking care of our nature using a biological approach rather than chemical is the way forward. Say no to chemicals and fertilizers in food production is the way forward.

Therefore, anyone who can learn how to make the soil good for agriculture will be patronised by so many people... (food investors, oil companies that want to trap carbon into the soil so they can burn more carbon and make more money, care homes and hospitals for elders and children that want organic food, nutritionists who want organic food for their clients, people battling with cancer and various diseases, etc). I mean virtually everyone who wants to live long and have a good life quality will require the service of a soil scientist who can deploy biology to regenerate soil.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by DFERENCE: 4:22pm On Jan 30
To get Direct entry in most universities is possible with biochem but to start two level you must have gone through the school of nursing. Most likely who will start afresh

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by michealekene(m): 4:27pm On Jan 30
epainos:

If you have money to study abroad, I will tell you the options you have before you rush into nursing. Nigerians always rush into what many people talk about.

The hype about nursing is high because most developed nations' citizens do not want to do the job. Despite the somehow pay increment, they still don't want to do it.

Dearest, since you are into biochemistry look into:

1. Genetical Science and Gene Editing: You will be dazzled with what you will become after your masters in this course. If you master gene editing with one of the latest technology, your future is secured. Read about CRISPR-cas9 and the wonders it is doing in plant, animal
and human science.

2. Microorganisms study: You can go into any area in plants and seeds, animals or humans. If you know the future of the study of microorganisms, you will get my point.

3. Environmental Science and Ecology. This area is too wide. You can look into regenerative agriculture, carbon cycle and areas around it, clean energy, renewable energy, etc.

Let me tell you...biochemistry is one of the best foundational courses to launch into a disruptive technological career. Soil science is huge now also.

Good luck!

N.B. This post is for those planning to study abroad. If you go into any of these courses in Naija now....na hunger go reformat your brain.

Listen to this advice!!!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by ffo(m): 4:47pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:

study in Nigeria, write NCLEX when you graduate, then job is already waiting for you, if na US, GC is waiting for you
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by PinkNature: 6:37pm On Jan 30
Seunpapa65:
Omo thank God I later carry nursing handicap Sha for my jamb I wan enter Yankee soon I hope everything goes fine

Handicap how? As in second choice?
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by PinkNature: 6:46pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:

Pick an affordable private university, make sure you make enquiries if your grade is eligible for admission.

Apply for DE, do your best and within a few years, you'll be a nurse.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by kumbhuru: 6:51pm On Jan 30
psychologist:
Dear Op

She's not serious with her life.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by kumbhuru: 6:52pm On Jan 30
drimzsmoke:

You are very foolish. Medicine iw overrated.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by kumbhuru: 6:54pm On Jan 30
drimzsmoke:

I had 4.3 something CGPA in microbiology, I used to drink, smoke A LOT, I only read when they paste exam timetable and MCB was just tooo easy for me, it was boring. In med school however, I had no social life, just church, books and classes. I had resit in Paediatrics.
Maybe private universities sha o, but no public school will pick you for Medicine with a CGPA of less than 3.5!!!
The smoke and drink has affected your brains. And so sad you don't know it.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by kumbhuru: 6:55pm On Jan 30
DFERENCE:
To get Direct entry in most universities is possible with biochem but to start two level you must have gone through the school of nursing. Most likely who will start afresh
Stop giving information you have bo knowledge about. She can start from 200level

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career / 7 Ways To Get Along Better With Your Coworkers / Naf Commences Training Of 450 Special Forces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.