Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,343 members, 7,811,992 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! (9313 Views)

How To Switch To A Career In Data Analysis / I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! / Confused! To Study Pharmacy Or Procced To Nursing School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Deemamadee: 8:35am On Jan 29
Hi nairalanders, please I need people that has passed through this to help me suggestions
I'm a graduate of biochemistry (second class lower) and I'll like to study nursing
I'm thinking of studying in a private university here in Nigeria or studying abroad
I don't know if I'm qualified for the direct entry or I start a fresh and in confused to which school to choose
As for studying abroad I have no information whatsoever on how to go about it
I need advice from you dear nairalanders. Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Sirmwill: 8:37am On Jan 29
Biochemistry is more like a medical course

It may be possible for Nursing with direct entry I don't really know

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Sirmwill: 8:38am On Jan 29
If you have the money to study in a private university in Nigeria

Its actually better to study abroad instead

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Sirmwill: 8:42am On Jan 29
There are some affordable universities in Europe and the UK

You can always do a simple Google search and check the websites of universities there to get an Idea of everything first.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by dawnomike(m): 8:50am On Jan 29
Deemamadee:
Hi nairalanders, please I need people that has passed through this to help me suggestions
I'm a graduate of biochemistry (second class lower) and I'll like to study nursing
I'm thinking of studying in a private university here in Nigeria or studying abroad
I don't know if I'm qualified for the direct entry or I start a fresh and in confused to which school to choose
Go back to the school you graduated from, speak to your HOD and yhe dean of your faculty.
If you were a good student, they will help you to speak to the department of nursing to enter as a direct entry Student straight to 200 level.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Deemamadee: 8:50am On Jan 29
Most of the schools I saw said their nursing is for home and not for international students
Sirmwill:
There are some affordable universities in Europe and the UK

You can always do a simple Google search and check the websites of universities there to get an Idea of everything first.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Isobug: 9:05am On Jan 29
Deemamadee:
As to whether you are qualified for Direct entry, yes you are qualified both in Nigeria and abroad, though some Universities in Nigeria will require Second class upper but there are many of them that will accept you with Lower division especially private universities.
As for whether to study abroad or here in Nigeria. It is always better abroad but it all depends on your capacity financially. For instance UK, US, Australia and Canada universities, you need between 8M to 25M each session for Tuition alone depending on the school and country. But for other European countries like Cyprus, Malta,Georgia(country), Russia etc, you need just between 4M to 7M each session as fees. All in Naira ooo. If you know your onions very well, you can get a fully or partially funded scholarship though.
Now, the onus is on you to make your choice.
Good luck

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Deemamadee: 9:07am On Jan 29
I graduated from Lautech and my undergraduate study was prolonged due to strike that's why I now prefer a private university
dawnomike:
Go back to the school you graduated from, speak to your HOD and yhe dean of your faculty.
If you were a good student, they will help you to speak to the department of nursing to enter as a direct entry Student straight to 200 level.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Deemamadee: 9:11am On Jan 29
Thank you so much for the explanation, I'm still checking out the countries
Isobug:

As for whether you are qualified for Direct entry, yes you are qualified both in Nigeria and abroad, though some Universities in Nigeria will require Second class upper but there are many of them that will accept you with Lower division especially private universities.
As for whether to study abroad or here in Nigeria. It is always better abroad but it all depends on your capacity financially. For instance UK, US, Australia and Canada universities, you need between 8M to 25M each session for Tuition alone depending on the school and country. But for other European countries like Cyprus, Malta,Georgia(country), Russia etc, you need just between 4M to 7M each session as fees. All in Naira ooo. If you know your onions very well, you can get a fully or partially funded scholarship though.
Good luck
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Seunpapa65: 9:13am On Jan 29
Omo thank God I later carry nursing handicap Sha for my jamb I wan enter Yankee soon I hope everything goes fine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Deemamadee: 9:22am On Jan 29
I wish you all the best in all future endeavors
Seunpapa65:
Omo thank God I later carry nursing handicap Sha for my jamb I wan enter Yankee soon I hope everything goes fine

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by sageb: 8:40pm On Jan 29
Deemamadee:
I graduated from Lautech and my undergraduate study was prolonged due to strike that's why I now prefer a private university

Alas! LAUTECH strike back in the days of "constituted authority ".
Yes,Biochemistry is in Basic medical sciences, thus you are qualified to apply for direct entry into Nursing 200 level
Or
You can start afresh in a state school of Nursing.

@Angelacruz please your advice is needed here.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Seunpapa65: 10:48am On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
I wish you all the best in all future endeavors
Same with you last last everybody go dey alright
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by slaawomirr: 12:36pm On Jan 30
Damnnn niggar

You are doing well
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by money121(m): 12:36pm On Jan 30
Ok

All is well
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Judolisco(m): 12:38pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
why not study medicine instead... Nursing is 5 yrs plus 1 Yr internship..... Jst kuku close eyes study medicine.... Go to a private uni if u get money...

I for Don do like you, instead I went for my msc... Now since 2022 I never finish because of yeye strike

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by epainos: 12:39pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
I'm thinking of studying in a private niversity here in Nigeria or studying abroad
If you have money to study abroad, I will tell you the options you have before you rush into nursing. Nigerians always rush into what many people talk about.

The hype about nursing is high because most developed nations' citizens do not want to do the job. Despite the somehow pay increment, they still don't want to do it.

Dearest, since you are into biochemistry look into:

1. Genetical Science and Gene Editing: You will be dazzled with what you will become after your masters in this course. If you master gene editing with one of the latest technology, your future is secured. Read about CRISPR-cas9 and the wonders it is doing in plant, animal
and human science.

2. Microorganisms study: You can go into any area in plants and seeds, animals or humans. If you know the future of the study of microorganisms, you will get my point.

3. Environmental Science and Ecology. This area is too wide. You can look into regenerative agriculture, carbon cycle and areas around it, clean energy, renewable energy, etc.

Let me tell you...biochemistry is one of the best foundational courses to launch into a disruptive technological career. Soil science is huge now also.

Good luck!

N.B. This post is for those planning to study abroad. If you go into any of these courses in Naija now....na hunger go reformat your brain.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by clockwisereport: 12:40pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:

You won't regret it, trust me bro
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Drshobz(m): 12:43pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:

You can study nursing in uk

Here it doesn't matter what you study in the university

When it comes to masters you can easily switch to nursing

I will advise you to do masters in uk because there is job readily available for you
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Houseofglam7(f): 12:44pm On Jan 30
😎
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by PriNceNova(m): 12:44pm On Jan 30
Ghg
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by mikeapollo: 12:45pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
You can seek admission in universities abroad and study for free (no tuition) in countries like Germany, Austria Norway etc. Or you go for low tuition countries like France, Czech, Hungary, (Ukraine was on the list before the war).

You can also go in with direct entry (200 level) at a private university in Nigeria, where you can graduate n schedule., but more expensive.

A search on Google can reveal more options to you.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by psychologist(m): 12:56pm On Jan 30
Dear Op
I might be forced to say “Nursing Is overrated in Nigeria”
I have a friend that studied nursing in one of the prestigious Fed uni in Nigeria, graduated with a 2.1

Next month will make it a year she graduated and she is still looking for a place that can accept her for her mandatory 1 year internship.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by ASHTAROTH: 12:57pm On Jan 30
Deemamadee:
Most of the schools I saw said their nursing is for home and not for international students

Please check out schools in Lithuania. Their nursing degree is not as expensive but top quality.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Love800(m): 12:57pm On Jan 30
Is it better for him to start nursing from undergraduate program?
Drshobz:

You can study nursing in uk

Here it doesn't matter what you study in the university

When it comes to masters you can easily switch to nursing

I will advise you to do masters in uk because there is job readily available for you
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Triangles1(m): 12:57pm On Jan 30
Where's my popcorn 🍿
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Love800(m): 12:58pm On Jan 30
Una sabi lie sha
mikeapollo:

You can seek admission in universities abroad and study for free (no tuition) in countries like Germany, Austria Norway etc. Or you go for low tuition countries like France, Czech, Hungary, (Ukraine was on the list before the war).

You can also go in with direct entry (200 level) at a private university in Nigeria, where you can graduate n schedule., but more expensive.

A search on Google can reveal more options to you.
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by Free2Fly: 1:09pm On Jan 30
Isobug:

As for whether you are qualified for Direct entry, yes you are qualified both in Nigeria and abroad, though some Universities in Nigeria will require Second class upper but there are many of them that will accept you with Lower division especially private universities.
Good luck

There's no big advantage between studying medical courses in Nigeria and abroad at the undergraduate level.

It's just pure waste of money

He/She can still practice abroad after studying in Nigeria at a relatively cheaper rate, as long as he/she is bright enough to acquire the licence of the foreign country
Re: I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help! by drimzsmoke(m): 1:13pm On Jan 30
Judolisco:
why not study medicine instead... Nursing is 5 yrs plus 1 Yr internship..... Jst kuku close eyes study medicine.... Go to a private uni if u get money...

I for Don do like you, instead I went for my msc... Now since 2022 I never finish because of yeye strike

She had 2.2 in BCH, She can NEVER cope with Medicine!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Self-employment Tips / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.