Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Pinging On Lan: Pls Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Pinging On Lan: Pls Help (1151 Views)

How To Hack Wireless/lan Networks / How To Increase My Internet Speed On Lan / Dell Inspiron 600m Ethernet Controller/lan Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by Kashif(m): 9:33am On Sep 18, 2007
Hello Nairalanders,

Please is there anybody in the house who knows why system A in a LAN can PING system B on the same LAN but system B cant?

It will be greatly appreciated if I get response to this.

Best regards.
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 18, 2007
@ poster,

wat kind of topology are you using, or are u pinging a wrong IP address on your network?
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by sholasys: 11:37am On Sep 18, 2007
If they are in the same subnet you should be able to ping it. Check if both sys are properly connected to the Hub/switch.
confirm the both IP Add. very well. Type ipconfig/all to get details of the Ip and try it again. What kind of error message are u getting ?
Request timeout ? Destination host unreachable? hardware error ? Let me know.
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by yemaren: 3:55pm On Sep 18, 2007
Hello, what type of operating system are you using b4 i take it up from there
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by sakin4life(m): 5:13pm On Sep 18, 2007
@poster,

i've experienced something like this too.

1. swap the cables of systems A and B, then try ping again. it may be a case of improperly crimped cable.

2. Change the port to which system B is connected to on the switch.

3. if u're making use of a gateway, ping both systems from the gateway.

i can think of a number of scenarios. Just like the last sholasys said, what are the messages u're getting from the two systems. That will give us a clearer insight.
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by pizzadox(m): 9:42am On Sep 19, 2007
Bro:

no 1 if u are using windows xp and systems A and B are connected to a hub or switch, try put a static ip address on them by going to LAN Connection properties, TCP IP properties and use a ip address with the same range, same subnet mask and ip gateway sample:

System A:
ip add: 192.168.1.101
subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1

Systems B:
ip add: 192.168.1.102
subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1

then click ok and apply,

from systems A go to start run and type cmd

ping 192.168.1.102 -t

u should get a reply,

if u are using a router make sure ur DHCP Server is enabled cos it will be the one to give ip addres to each pc connected to it,

hope this will work,
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by yemaren: 11:02am On Sep 19, 2007
please respond to this:
when sys A is pinging sys B, does it time out or did it gives you continuous reply.
then what is the reply sys B is giving when trying to ping sys A
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by Kashif(m): 12:51pm On Sep 19, 2007
@all,

Very sorry for responding late. Let me supply more details -

1) These two systems are two of many systems on this LAN

2) There is a DHCP server (which means they are on the same subnet mask)

3) The IP addresses the echo requests are being sent to are very correct

4) It is not a physical connection failure because both systems can ping the gateway. It is a puzzle because one can ping the other and the other can't.

5) Both systems are win XP sp2

6) Error message: Request timed out

Thanks all.
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by pizzadox(m): 1:01pm On Sep 19, 2007
as i said, make their IP address static,

know the default ip address of ur DHCP Server

ok
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by yemaren: 1:43pm On Sep 19, 2007
hey can you other systems on the network to ping sys B
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by yemaren: 1:46pm On Sep 19, 2007
sorry please, what i mean is that if you can use ther system in the network to ping the Sys B
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by sholasys: 2:03pm On Sep 19, 2007
This is a bit complicated. Does Sys A has a firewall on it ? maybe Antivirus or smthing of that nature. or Sys B. Can U
ping Sys A from others ? Request timeout error is a situation where u are ping the wrong IP ADD in same Network.
remove the sys, replaced it with another try and see
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by Kashif(m): 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2007
pizzadox:

as i said, make their IP address static,

know the default ip address of your DHCP Server

ok

I don't want to use a static IP. I have done problem isolation and it is not coming from addressing. It is not coming from the DHCP/DNS server either. I have checked all leasing and scopes. It has to do with the system because no other machine can ping it. No doubt, it is on the network because it can ping others.

I have done some adjustments in the antivirus and even had to turn it off, but to no avail. Maybe I will have to turn off the windows firewall and see what happens. I am beginning to suspect it.

I'll let you guys know what I find out. Cheers.
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by Kashif(m): 2:34pm On Sep 19, 2007
Windows firewall was it! ON : you can't ping. OFF: you can ping.

Thanks everybody especially, Sholasys.

Best regards.
Re: Pinging On Lan: Pls Help by sholasys: 5:56pm On Sep 19, 2007
Kashif, Good u hv solve the problem. Thanks to all and their contributions. Networking is a profession that has no limit.
It makes u mad smtimes. Regards to ALL.
u can contact me @
Erudite Olushola A

(1) (Reply)

Yahoo Messenger Magic / CODE 10 ERROR (how Do I Fix This) / Apple's Tablet(ipad) Vs Microsoft Laplet(surface Pro 3),which One Ll U Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.