Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria (3850 Views)

ECOWAS Exit: Niger Republic Importers May Dump Nigerian Ports — Agents / Some Nigerians Sabotaging Okonjo-Iweala's WTO Campaign – Paul Nwabuikwu / Military Sacks UNICEF From North For ‘Sabotaging Counter-Terrorism Operations’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:47pm On Feb 01
Baalablu
Thought they said he's a master strategist

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:54pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

Yes.

They are traitors. You don't stand with Nigeria and ECOWAS in the morning and then sneak in to the enemies at night to negotiate agreements you are fully aware will hurt the person you stood with in the morning.
But when Bubu shut all our borders against Benin in 2020 against same Ecowas protocol we were not traitors abi
Una never ready

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by marsup: 6:01pm On Feb 01
It's nothing personal. It's just business.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by truthhurtsnaira: 6:03pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

Yes.

They are traitors. You don't stand with Nigeria and ECOWAS in the morning and then sneak in to the enemies at night to negotiate agreements you are fully aware will hurt the person you stood with in the morning.

Sorry ooh, Nigeria is a traitor to Black Africa….

See your City Boy running to France to enjoy again ooooh LOL

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Agboriotejoye(m): 6:06pm On Feb 01
ivolt:

I knew you have nothing upstairs, this just confirmed it.
I see your ego is hurt because you thought you will be applauded for
posting useless rumors presented as facts here.

How is this relevant to the blatant lies and misrepresentation you typed above?

You made the claim, you provide the source!

When is now?
currently, 1 year or 5 years time?
FYI, discussions on Niger-Benin crude pipeline has been in the works
years before the coup plotters strike.
Again, show that Benin republic now enjoys a increased crude export from Niger, post-coup.

You are lying once more. Prove me wrong by showing any reliable source that claims that Benin republic have lifted
all suspensions
on Niger imports.
Contrary to your claims. Benin has always been a major transit route for Niger goods.

How is this relevant ?

Your topic claim that Benin is sabotaging Nigeria.
No need for epistle, just show evidence that Benin republic's export of
goods to Niger has increased post-coup. That should not be too hard for
you omnipresent itinerant to do, should it?

Next time, choose your audience wisely when concocting fairy tales.
Dude is right

https://www.rfi.fr/en/africa/20231228-benin-lifts-suspension-of-imported-goods-transiting-to-niger-cotonou
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by christistruth01: 6:11pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

I said Niger's total IMPORT. When you add their nearly $2 billion export, that's about $5 billion in international trade.

Our ports should be handling those goods. That's one of the reasons Jonathan started that rail project.

Then go and build it.

You want to challenge Togo that's already an established trading hub when trans-sahel trade is a blue ocean?

Our Yoruba brothers can do better.

Niger International Trade is not Trade between Nigeria and about 7 West African countries

Our Trade Traffic passing through Cotonou is more Valuable it is actual Trade with Nigeria it isn’t just passing through
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by muyico(m): 6:16pm On Feb 01
I didn't even understand ur epistle
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Collins4u1(m): 6:41pm On Feb 01
what you're saying is Benin should also inherit the enemity between Nigeria and Niger.

fight your fight alone, you won't feed Beninouse population.
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by ivolt: 6:46pm On Feb 01
Agboriotejoye:

Dude is right

https://www.rfi.fr/en/africa/20231228-benin-lifts-suspension-of-imported-goods-transiting-to-niger-cotonou
No, he is not right.
It is just like claiming that a person who has visited just Cameroon is a globe trotter.

I remember when his goons also claimed Niger republic is hitting back at Nigeria
by damning river Niger. They failed to state that the damn began more than 5 years before the coup.
Lying by omission is also lying.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Christistruth00: 6:50pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

I said Niger's total IMPORT. When you add their nearly $2 billion export, that's about $5 billion in international trade.

Our ports should be handling those goods. That's one of the reasons Jonathan started that rail project.

Then go and build it.

You want to challenge Togo that's already an established trading hub when trans-sahel trade is a blue ocean?

Our Yoruba brothers can do better.

Must you bring bigotry into it
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by arantess: 7:15pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

Yes.

Every country acts in their own best interest, wether it seems good or bad to you.

Maybe the so called giant should learn how to play the diplomatic game.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:22pm On Feb 01
ivolt:

The problem with local champions like you is that you think every other person
is just like you.

Your posts have been trashed already and your response have further exposed
you as mere political jobber speculating on topic area you are utterly ignorant on.

Processing and accepting lies are 2 different things.

To a delusional mind like yours, all information are truths and must be accepted!
Like I said, it's okay to defend the failure you voted for without sounding Stoopid.

I can't waste precious time on ignorant souls that don't know what's happening at their back yard. It seems only you don't know that Benin lifted suspensions on ALL imported goods to Nigeria through Cotonou ports. Yet, you kept arguing, throwing tantrums like a kid because you can't constructively argue yourself out.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:27pm On Feb 01
Christistruth00:

Must you bring bigotry into it
It's not bigotry. We used to see Yorubas as smart people and sadly, the way some of them argue here is forcing us to change that opinion.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by CSTRR: 7:31pm On Feb 01
Sabotaging Nigeria?

It's not their fault that their leader has a higher IQ than ours.

Someone like Peter obi would never shut our borders just to support some phantom ideal for any reason, except under strict national security reasons with no other alternative.

He knows the economic consequences of closing your borders.

As you lay your bed, so you lie on it.

Emilokan.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:33pm On Feb 01
christistruth01:

Niger International Trade is not Trade between Nigeria and about 7 West African countries

Our Trade Traffic passing through Cotonou is more Valuable it is actual Trade with Nigeria it isn’t just passing through
Very soon, we will start questioning what they do in those SW universities. Walai, engaging you people is a mental stress.

Did, I ever mentioned that Niger's international trade is trade between Nigeria and about 7 WA countries?

I posted a data that shows that Nigeria - Niger trade volume is bigger than Nigeria - Benin trade and you're still arguing. What's the importance of trade traffic if doesn't reflect in the accounting?

Please, don't stress my life further, Google is already doing that since morning.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Tayomi37(m): 7:33pm On Feb 01
Hmm with what I'm reading here, I don't even know what to say but one thing I will say is this: if all this is true, then Nigeria leaders are not serving the interest of Nigerians but interest of the West and this would be a serious problem in the future. The Lord heal the land.
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:34pm On Feb 01
Agboriotejoye:

But when Bubu shut all our borders against Benin in 2020 against same Ecowas protocol we were not traitors abi
Una never ready
Are you from Benin Republic?
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by christistruth01: 7:40pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

Very soon, we will start questioning what they do in those SW universities. Walai, engaging you people is a mental stress.

Did, I ever mentioned that Niger's international trade is trade between Nigeria and about 7 WA countries?

I posted a data that shows that Nigeria - Niger trade volume is bigger than Nigeria - Benin trade and you're still arguing. What's the importance of trade traffic if doesn't reflect in the accounting?

Please, don't stress my life further, Google is already doing that since morning.

I explained to you that land Trade between Nigeria and Ghana Ivory Coast Liberia Gambia Senegal Guinea Gambia Togo passed through Cotonou that was why a Railway was necessary between there and Lagos it will even help reduce the Traffic of Cargo Carrying Trailers and Lorries at Seme

The duties the FG collects there alone far outstrips whatever is happening between Nigeria and Niger

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:43pm On Feb 01
ivolt:

No, he is not right.
It is just like claiming that a person who has visited just Cameroon is a globe trotter.

I remember when his goons also claimed Niger republic is hitting back at Nigeria
by damning river Niger. They failed to state that the damn began more than 5 years before the coup.
Benin did lift the sanctions in December. That's what the link says
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:43pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

Are you from Benin Republic?
No
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:46pm On Feb 01
christistruth01:

I explained to you that land Trade between Nigeria and Ghana Ivory Coast Liberia Gambia Senegal Guinea Gambia Togo passed through Cotonou that was why a Railway was necessary between there and Lagos it will even help reduce the Traffic of Cargo Carrying Trailers and Lorries at Seme

The duties the FG collects there alone far outstrips whatever is happening between Nigeria and Niger
What are you on about exactly
The guy is right goddammit
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:49pm On Feb 01
Tayomi37:
Hmm with what I'm reading here, I don't even know what to say but one thing I will say is this: if all this is true, then Nigeria leaders are not serving the interest of Nigerians but interest of the West and this would be a serious problem in the future. The Lord heal the land.
There is no single lie there.

Benin is opening their borders to Niger.

Niger on it's own does $5 billion annual trade according to 2022 data. For context, this is bigger than the entire annual GDP of some economic power states, like Ogun State, Abia, and Kano. Opening their border and ramping up trade relationships with Niger, means that Benin has effectively isolated us from this market.

Besides this, Nigeria exports goods worth over $190 million to Nigeria.

The sanctions and border closure means we won't be able to do that again, and this puts us at the risks of losing nearly #300 billion anually (using current exchange rate).
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:51pm On Feb 01
muyico:
I didn't even understand ur epistle
It's not for everybody.

grin grin grin
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 7:53pm On Feb 01
ivolt:

No, he is not right.

Poor use of analogy.

You can do better, egbon
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by Tayomi37(m): 8:02pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

There is no single lie there.

Benin is opening their borders to Niger.

Niger on it's own does $5 billion annual trade according to 2022 data. For context, this is bigger than the entire economic power states, like Ogun State, Abia, and Kano. Opening their border and ramping up trade relationships with Niger, means that Benin has effectively isolated us from this market.

Besides this, Nigeria exports goods worth over $190 million to Nigeria.

The sanctions and border closure means we won't be able to do that again, and this puts us at the risks of losing nearly #300 billion anually (using current exchange rate).

Thanks so much for the update.
I believe those that understand economics and it's rudiments are reading this.

When we are shouting VOTE WISELY. We are tagged as basta..d. Now the chicken has come home to roost. Won nja ni ile keji se Le Kan Ara ile( How is fighting in the next house your concern)
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by dreamxhaser: 8:15pm On Feb 01
christistruth01:

The value of Trade between Cotonou and Lagos far outstrips that and the FG didn’t build it there
The Mambilla Plateau in Taraba has huge Potential

Do you know that Sappphires Gold and Emeralds are in commercial quantities in Taraba?

The Railway between Mambila Plateau and Abuja will Pay for itself in no time

It is the Equivalent of Linking New York to California in the 19th Century

Taraba is going to be a Super Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UymgPCFZY?si=IyOYY20frHkmmBbh

I want explain something to you but the strength just comot for my body.
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 8:17pm On Feb 01
christistruth01:

Most of these goods move through the sea. Rail is not necessary since we are already connected by sea and to an extent, dominating trade there.

I have attached a map of the trans-saharan trade route in the 1400. Niger is highlighted in yellow. You can see how strategic the country is to controlling trade in that area. With the Kano - Maradi rail, we aim to connect Niger to our domestic market, including the sea to have direct access to this market.

If we can make Niger a hub, then Nigeria will control sub-saharan trade.

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by pharmagba: 8:24pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:
It pains me when I see people dismissing Niger's exit from ECOWAS. Their argument has always been that the move will hurt Niger more than Nigeria since they depend largely on Nigeria for their imports.

This would have been true if Benin Republic is not sabotaging Nigeria and ECOWAS.

Here's the back story:

Niger's military ceased power Q4 of last year. ECOWAS moved in to restore constitutional order. As part of efforts to squeeze the junta to return power to elected government, Nigeria-led ECOWAS imposed several sanctions, including shutting their borders.

The two most prominent faces were that of Nigeria and Benin presidents.

But December 28, Benin unilaterally lifted all suspensions on imported goods transiting to Niger through the Cotonou port. This was about a month after Niger competed the Niger - Benin pipeline that will allow them export their crude reserve through the port.

Fast forward to January 2024, Niger pulled out of ECOWAS.

Meaning?

Benin deceived Nigeria to shut its borders against Niger, on the pretense it was standing with ECOWAS resolution against Niger. And then goes around to open their borders to the same Niger, effectively isolating Nigeria.

Here's the catch.

In 2022, Niger exported USD 1.256 billion in goods, and imported USD 3.802 billion. With this move, Benin has succeeded in isolating Nigeria's ports from handling Niger's annual USD 5 billion international trade. That's not even all. The same year, Nigeria imported $33.43m worth of goods and exported goods worth $192.91m to Niger.

Now, use your calculator to see the amount of money we are about to lose due to this misguided geopolitics.

Besides, Benin treachery means we are now completely surrounded by unfriendly neigbours - Benin in the West, Niger in the North and Cameroon in the east.

Now, what if Niger decides to build dam across the Niger River to generate electricity? Nigeria now lacks leverage and non-kinetic deterrence.

While our president was busy shouting "constitutional order," our Benin neighbours were busy working behind the scene to strength their relationship with Niger Republic and completely isolate Nigeria.

The most painful thing is remedying this problem will not be a walk in the park. First, importing through Benin is far cheaper and the distance from Apapa to Niamey is about 36 KM longer than from Cotonou port to Niamey.

We have lost Niger and their trade FOEVER.

Well done, Tinubu.

Obidents myopic economics churning and brandishing false figures shamelessly

Tell whoever cares to listen that Niger republic and northern Nigeria are one and same.
Iinfact despite all the railway to Nigeri will soon be completed

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by aariwa(m): 8:30pm On Feb 01
IamAtikulate:

Yes.

Big business opportunity created. Why import from Lagos ports when you can import from Niger through Benin cheaper and smuggle through open borders in the north? Nigerian customs would loose more than half of their revenue before the end of the year…more problems for Nigeria and the dunce Emilokan
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 8:32pm On Feb 01
pharmagba:

Obidents myopic economics churning and brandishing false figures shamelessly

Tell whoever cares to listen that Niger republic and northern Nigeria are one and same.
Iinfact despite all the railway to Nigeri will soon be completed
List one figure that's false.

Again, there's no where I mentioned about rail in the post you quoted.
Re: ECOWAS Exit: How Benin Republic Is Sabotaging Nigeria by flokii: 8:38pm On Feb 01
@OP If truly you want to be objective, you'd praise President Tinubu for preventing breakout of war with Niger when ECOWAS issued joint security statement. Mali and Burkina Faso would have joined with Niger to face Nigeria, then we'll have to battle economic challenges, internal security challenges and regional armed conflict with neighboring countries.. It would have been a disaster.

You should also factor-in the fact that Benin Republic is a small country able to tackle their internal issues unlike Nigeria where we play politics of religion and ethnicity.
Nigeria will bounce back and I see Niger coming to mend fences with the giant of Africa in the near future. I wonder why most people can't see the strength Nigeria wields in Africa and globally.
If only we could weed off the bad elements within us and elect the right leaders, I'm telling you Nigeria will be a world power and a force to reckon with on the planet.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rochas And His Monumental Looting Of Imo State / Bombshell: Animals Wan Dash Me My Human Right -ngozi Okonjo Iweala / 120 groups Of APC From Atiku's Camp Join PDP (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.