Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,389 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

- Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (6777 Views)

Is Cheating Normal For Men? / How Would You React If You Know Your Dad Is Cheating Of your Mum? / My Friend's Husband Is Cheating On Her, Do I Tell Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by kokobaby(f): 10:15pm On Nov 08, 2011
Clearly, there isn't any statistics on this subject so every response is pure opinion and speculation including mine. I believe cheating is less rampant in the diaspora compared to Naija because of the consequences. Anybody that is determined to cheat will find a way to cheat no matter where they are but i do think that people are more likely to be disciplined when they stand to lose everything. Another reason is that cheating is less acceptable in the U.S. than Naija. Yes, everyone believes cheating is wrong, but in practice, more Nigerians living in Nigeria have accepted that as the norm compared to those abroad. When you're abroad, you more likely not sit and accept such behavior from your spouse.
Re: by houvest: 10:16pm On Nov 08, 2011
I think that poverty is a big cause of cheating at home. Fewer girls are looking for money from sugar daddies and so the men are faced with less temptation. Of course there are many other factors involved but I think this is a major factor for an unfavourable cheating environment.
Re: by omar22(m): 10:29pm On Nov 08, 2011

you are the one talking out of sense because nigerians in diaspora have more time and money to stage an affair than you think! they can commute 24 hrs of the day without fear unlike back home when people can't do a lot at nights because of security.

OK let me paint you a picture! you are married then you are thinking of having an affair! the time to spend with both women is so limited, that your wife would know that something is not right within days, then you would be monitoring the phone that comes in, text and emails that come in that alone to could make you go kolo, your behaviour would be suspicious! by the time you take care of so many bills and have an affair after a while you would pull out without been told,
Re: by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 08, 2011
Re: by llbhuds: 11:14pm On Nov 08, 2011
Everyones contribution to this topic is influenced by the peeps around u both in naija nd in d diaspora.
I live in europe and I have been to most of the european countries and I can say emphatically that men abroad cheat alot, the funniest thing is our naija ladies abroad, many dont care if u are married or not, especially if tha guy is married to a white lady, a naija lady will never say no.
I know most men in diaspora cheat alot but in a coded way that u will never notice anything.
we too bad gaaan
Re: by Fhemmmy: 11:19pm On Nov 08, 2011
^^^ Na wa oh
Re: by Bossman(m): 11:39pm On Nov 08, 2011
Well said.  No time, period, especially for family men  with young kids.  Plus its widely accepted in Nigeria.  The acceptance of polygamy plays a major factor too. 

PS. please excuse my typo. On a fast moving train and about to reach my stop.
ftmom ltnk=topic=798876.msg9509157#msg9509157 date=1320789351:

I believe cheating is not as common overseas.

For one thing, it's not acceptable like it is in Nigeria where most people consider it the "norm." If you live a middle or upper class life abroad as a professional, you will know it's not the kind of behavior you can flaunt like you could in Nigeria. Even though a lot of oyinbos cheat too, it is still not widely accepted and the last thing Engr Wazobia wants is for his neighbors or colleagues at work or even  his boss sef to find out he cheats on his wife. Doesn't mean he's going to be fired at work for cheating but una know how oyinbo people go just label that kind of person. With just  a whiff or scandal, the neighbors go just ostracize like say he killed someone.

Another point is the issue of money. A lot of couples have joint accounts and even if you don't have joint accounts, chances are your wife has a pretty good idea how much you earn. Which means depending on how much your "pocket money" is after settling family expenses; you'd better make sure your flings are dirt cheap and far between otherwise you may be robbing Peter to pay Paul (using your younger brother's  monthly stipend that you send to Naija to pay for motel and a dinner and/or movie for the fling).

Family obligations - Weekends and evenings, the kids have karate, cooking class, drama, dance, Boy Scout/Brownies meetings, etc. Your time is so booked up (guess what-there is no Driver  cheesy) that you don't have the time nor energy for flings. Getting down with Madam sef after everything na work. Not to talk of mowing the lawn, doing your own landscaping because you refuse to pay someone some outrageous amount of money (especially when you convert to naira) to do it for you. And of course, your own quota of housework, plus ironing, plus taking the cars to the car wash. . . . .  . . .need I go on

Overseas, people are more aware of health, diet and exercise. Obesity is not celebrated, neither are XXXL "junk" and stomach. Women are more likely to keep looking attractive through diet and exercise and retain their husbands' attention. This is not to say folks at home do not exercise but if you have a good job that pays enough for a home gym or gym membership in Lagos (hear there's a N150k/yr membership gym in VI), you're likely not home till quite late and simply don't have enough time nor strength nor motivation for adequate exercise between your job, family obligations and the ever busy Lagos social life.

Child support - If you do it without a condom and impregnate the fling and she decides she wants to keep the child (never mind what the "agreement was", e don become lifelong commitment be dat and she will get child support even if she no put the man's name on the child's birth certificate. Yup! the man has created a "baby mama" whether he likes it or not with all the attendant expenses that go with it. If Madam then finds out and is eligible for child support and alimony, life just gets more complicated. Divorce can ruin a man financially and many have ruined their credit ratings by filing for bankruptcy because they are left with nothing after the divorce. Financially, it could be a nightmare.

These are a few of the reasons but the list is not exhaustive.
Re: by coogar: 11:43pm On Nov 08, 2011
llbhuds:

Everyones contribution to this topic is influenced by the peeps around u both in naija nd in d diaspora.
I live in europe and I have been to most of the european countries and I can say emphatically that men abroad cheat alot, the funniest thing is our naija ladies abroad, many dont care if u are married or not, especially if tha guy is married to a white lady, a naija lady will never say no.
I know most men in diaspora cheat alot but in a coded way that u will never notice anything.
we too bad gaaan

take my e-handshake!
you have spoken like a true diasporean in europe. . . . . .men abroad are serial cheats! office romance is common abroad more than anywhere.
who says a man must meet his partner in hilton hotel before they can get jiggy when people sh[i]a[/i]g for fun in the elevators?

omar22:

OK let me paint you a picture! you are married then you are thinking of having an affair! the time to spend with both women is so limited, that your wife would know that something is not right within days, then you would be monitoring the phone that comes in, text and emails that come in that alone to could make you go kolo, your behaviour would be suspicious! by the time you take care of so many bills and have an affair after a while you would pull out without been told,  

the affair doesn't have to be romantic! this is what you are getting wrong.

these affairs are mostly s[i]e[/i]xual with no strings attached. hi-[i]b[/i]ang-bye until one or both of them agree to do it again.
no idiotic phone calls or sassy text messages. you have not seen serial cheats, when you see one - you would know it's the easiest thing to do ever.
it becomes obvious mostly with nigerian mistresses who want to take over the man's life - those caribbean women who only wants a man to get off are not interested in becoming a pest or a nuisance to the man or his family.
Re: by logica(m): 11:59pm On Nov 08, 2011
Richvkunt:

Men will cheat ANYWHERE once they get the chance,its in our genes.
I don't expect a woman to understand because it is a MAN thing.
So home or diaspora,a man gonna cheat because hes got to cheat, simples!
Hilarious. You are probably the type that your woman will be cheating and you will have no clue. Women cheat as much as men do, maybe even more. It's not a "man thing". I have nothing to say on the actual topic because the comparison makes no sense.
Re: by alanbolo(m): 12:12am On Nov 09, 2011
chaircover and ftmom have outlined most of the encumbrances.

Due to the outlines, diasporaly, it's minimized.

@ Sir Fhemmmy, 9ja is where to spoil the Danshiki (Royal Jacket), especially during festive period with excuses that I miss my peeps to celebrate with.
Re: by emmatok(m): 12:28am On Nov 09, 2011
@chaircover

Why do you like opening sexist treads , especially against men.

Well Married Nigerian men abroad are careful about cheating due to the feminist law in the West.

But married women cheat more abroad sad sad sad.
Re: by Fhemmmy: 12:41am On Nov 09, 2011
alanbolo:

chaircover and ftmom have outlined most of the encumbrances.

Due to the outlines, diasporaly, it's minimized.

@ Sir Fhemmmy, 9ja is where to spoil the Danshiki (Royal Jacket), especially during festive period with excuses that I miss my peeps to celebrate with.

I know what you mean jare
Re: by Fhemmmy: 12:41am On Nov 09, 2011
emmatok:

@chaircover

Why do you like opening sexist treads , especially against men.

Well Married Nigerian men abroad are careful about cheating due to the feminist law in the West.

But married women cheat more abroad sad sad sad.

Married women cheats more even in Nigeria, they are just not as lousy and gloating in their stupidity as much as men does.
Re: by emmatok(m): 12:51am On Nov 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Married women cheats more even in Nigeria, they are just not as lousy and gloating in their stupidity as much as men does.

I tell you 80% of Married women in Nigeria are careful when it comes to cheating, because divorce come with financial loss and stigmatization .

But abroad it is a free world for women, why do western media give cheating men more coverage than women.

Western Women are well protected even in divorce.
Re: by Fhemmmy: 1:16am On Nov 09, 2011
emmatok:

I tell you 80% of Married women in Nigeria are careful when it comes to cheating, because divorce come with financial loss and stigmatization .

But abroad it is a free world for women, why do western media women give cheating men more coverage than women.

Western Women are well protected even in divorce.

Yes, they are careful, and thus my saying they are not as lousy, they dont brag about it and just chop and clean mouth, unlike the men that see cheating as a medal and boast about it to friends . . .but the women will do it and even pretends they never did, some after some kids will even say they are virgins
Re: by logica(m): 1:22am On Nov 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Yes, they are careful, and thus my saying they are not as lousy, they dont brag about it and just chop and clean mouth, unlike the men that see cheating as a medal and boast about it to friends . . .but the women will do it and even pretends they never did, some after some kids will even say they are virgins
You are old school. Many women of this generation (yes Nigerian women) discuss men they fvcked just like many men discuss women they fvcked. You'll be surprised what they discuss at saloons as they make their hair or shop at boutiques (exactly as you see in "Desperate Housewives" or any of the other silly serials). You talk about how tight the pvssy was, they talk about how big the manliness was.
Re: by Fhemmmy: 1:25am On Nov 09, 2011
logica:

You are old school. Many women of this generation (yes Nigerian women) discuss men they fvcked just like many men discuss women they fvcked. You'll be surprised what they discuss at saloons as they make their hair or shop at boutiques (exactly as you see in "Desperate Housewives" or any of the other silly serials). You talk about how tight the pvssy was, they talk about how big the manliness was.
But how many of them will brag about it to even their husband the way the men will tell the wife "if you dont sit up, I will marry another woman"?
Re: by denzel2009: 1:29am On Nov 09, 2011
is there any married man in Nigeria with no extra tyre?
Re: by Fhemmmy: 1:34am On Nov 09, 2011
denzel2009:

is there any married man in Nigeria with no extra tyre?

I am sure that there would be some . . . .
Re: by denzel2009: 1:51am On Nov 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I am sure that there would be some . . . .
infinitesimal! all the married men I know have someone else somewhere.
Re: by logica(m): 2:02am On Nov 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

But how many of them will brag about it to even their husband the way the men will tell the wife "if you dont sit up, I will marry another woman"?

You are still old school. That sounds like something a village man would say. Definitely not a new generation Nigerian male (except of course those indoctrinated in the manners of the 1950s/1960s man). But you will find low-life b!tches of this generation who will in a fit of anger reveal to the husband that he is not the father of the children he thinks he has. It does happen.
Re: by peleson: 3:22am On Nov 09, 2011
What, talk to a lady with smile and charm in italy, kissing comes so easy n u already v her.
Re: by supaeagles(m): 6:10am On Nov 09, 2011
akshually, there are more opportunities to cheat in the diaspora ,especially the caucasian regions where the naija men can claim they have the "mandingo" too and white tricks go want a piece of dat!
Re: by yommysomguy(m): 6:29am On Nov 09, 2011
supaeagles:

akshually, there are more opportunities to cheat in the diaspora ,especially the caucasian regions where the naija men can claim they have the "mandingo" too and white tricks go want a piece of dat!
looooolz,
Re: by Johndoe100(m): 6:35am On Nov 09, 2011
Diaspora cheat less cos they are more enlightened. They live among white people (who don't cheat) and this civilizeing effect has rubbed off on them. In Nigeria we spend a lon of time in the jungle and this has affected us.
Re: by llbhuds: 7:08am On Nov 09, 2011
Johndoe100:

Diaspora cheat less cos they are more enlightened. They live among white people (who don't cheat) and this civilizeing effect has rubbed off on them. In Nigeria we spend a lon of time in the jungle and this has affected us.

I think u live in an arab country by ur contribution. Who tell u say whites no dey cheat?
europeans generally dont even want to get married anymore all dey want is a BF and if any yawa gasss both parties go der separate ways.
chating in europe is like a norm, u feel cheated if u dont cheat I swear.
Well, nobody holy pass sha
Re: by armyofone(m): 4:28am On Nov 10, 2011
i wouldn't cheat but if you do, you are a goner!

SemperFI kiss
Re: by dayokanu(m): 6:13am On Nov 10, 2011
^^^You're welcome
Re: by armyofone(m): 7:13am On Nov 10, 2011
grin grin grin
you are something else
lol, you gotta be kidding me tongue
Re: by ada24: 12:00pm On Nov 10, 2011
Re: by horny4u(f): 8:06pm On Nov 12, 2011
Its takes 1 hour to have a quicke and if your friends are serial cheaters then you can all rent a flat or you have a single friend with a spare room that you all contribute monthly to just outside London say Stanmore area.

I believe location or circumstances will not stop an omoboy or omogal from cheating , so i do not believe its not common in the diaspora, alot of effort is made to hide it than in 9ja.

I can almost its same in the UK as in 9ja - why ? Its just 1 hour , anyone can afford an hour !
Re: by horny4u(f): 8:13pm On Nov 12, 2011
logica:

No woman talkless Nigerian woman will cheat and then sleep talk that she cheated , talkless of in the salon?: We donot possess that kind of yeye ego and we are deeeeeep,very deeeeep, plus women rarely cheat anyway.

Who said OYINBOS donot cheat I laugh in pidgin english:lol ok o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hinging Your Essence On Marriage: A Distorted Perception / Sex Before Marriage Does It Help? / Beat A Woman And Be Praised For It!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.