Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall (24375 Views)

Parents Groan As Institutions Hike Fees By Over 100 Percent / To All Nigerian Students Abroad / The Woes Of Nigerian Scholarship Students Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Lisalil(f): 10:00am On Feb 02
Parents and many Nigerian students studying abroad have groaned over the rising tuition fees following the free fall of naira against foreign currencies, including dollar and pounds.

For potential students trying to travel abroad for their studies, the exchange rates of naira to dollar and naira to pounds are taking a toll on them and their guardians who have to pay for ticketing and school fees.

In June 2023, the Nigerian government removed the rate cap in its official foreign exchange market, allowing market forces to determine the actual value of the naira.

This led to the devaluation of the naira. In July 2023 (about a month after the move), the national currency fell from 471/dollar to 750/dollar and 589.4/pound to 957.2/pound. As of January 24, the currency had further plunged to 887/dollar and 1133/pound.

At the parallel market, where most people meet their forex needs, the local currency exchanged 1,420/dollar on Friday.

As of Wednesday, the value stood at N1,455/$ on the Investor and Exporter Window.

The price of everything associated with relocation, including school fees, visa fees, and more has surged due to the significant depreciation of the naira.

Some students who spoke with our correspondents lamented their ordeals following the falling naira against foreign currencies.

A Nigerian student in the UK, Moyosore Salami, said he knew several persons who had returned to Nigeria over the exchange rate.

Salami said, “I have a lot of people that have gone back home due to the dollar rate. It’s really crazy. My first week in the UK, pounds was around N680 as today the pound is around N1,970.”

A Nigerian student in Canada, Seth Akande, while lamenting, said, “Well, the devaluation of naira and how it’s affecting me simply means whatever amount I need from Nigeria, it’s never enough. Every day the rates keep going up. Now you can’t plan for how much you will be converting or you are likely to pay with the steady increase in rate.

Just months ago, I still changed the Canadian dollar to about N780 and as of this morning, 1 CAD is N1,169. Now, I can’t budget for how much I will be needing from Nigeria to pay fees, as it is only when you have the money available then you can say this is how much I am paying.

As an international student, this even makes it worse because you pay 1.5 or two twice of what the citizens of the country pay, but that’s not the problem, the main problem is that the rate continues to increase.”

A Sokoto State indigene studying in Malaysia, Aisha Umar, who spoke with one of our correspondents, said when the naira got devalued, “our money becomes worthless compared to other currencies. So things like tuition fees and school expenses have become more expensive for us studying in Malaysia.”

A Nigerian student who was processing admission into a Canadian university noted that his admission was halted over the exchange rate debacle.

The student, Confidence Chujor, said, “The devaluation of naira has really affected me in the sense that the money I kept for my schooling is no longer enough for me. The price of everything has gone higher than the way it used to be. I now sleep in fear, praying and hoping that the rate goes down.”

“I have never in my life experienced this level of naira devaluation,” he said, adding “I can’t pay my tuition fee, I can’t afford to pay for flight. Medical (fee) which used to be N46,000 has got to N73,000. It would really be nice if I wake up one morning to hear that the rate of the dollar has gone down. I’m hoping for a miracle.”

A parent, Mrs. Nwachukwu Mary, said the exchange rate “is finishing us”

Speaking on Thursday with one of our correspondents, Nwachukwu said, “This exchange rate is finishing us, paying for this semester’s fee was mentally draining. No form A, we had to buy from ‘Abokis’. The banks are hoarding dollars. Sending money to my kid is taxing because when they change it, it amounts to nothing, it’s even affecting us in Nigeria, everything is so hard, the cost of living is increasing crazily and the standard of living is decreasing, this economy is making things very hard.”

Another parent, who gave his name simply as Mr Smith, said he was aware that his son was to pay $17,000 for tuition in the US.

“But now when the dollar is around N1,500, where will we get over N25m? It is even better to invest the money in something else than to do this under pressure.”

A travel agent, who works at Adopas Dedicated Services, David Adamu, said some Nigerians were selling properties to “japa” while some students abroad had also dropped out.

“When the economy is bad just like the current trend of naira devaluation, Nigerians would want to do everything possible to leave the country and escape. That is what we are currently experiencing. Some sell their properties all in the bid to escape. More people have become desperate to leave the country,” he said.

He noted there had not been much increase in processing fees at their company, saying, “It is just N10,000 increase. And ours is one of the cheapest. Some students have dropped out of school because of the inability to pay tuition fees due to the naira issues. We have been hearing rumours that the Form A which is the CBN payment portal is beginning to come back alive. Some students have dropped out over time because of the access to funds. While others are grinding on and ensuring that they stay the course.”

A travel consultant, Otun Sidally, who works at SIMSID Nigeria Enterprise, said the situation was funny, “and seriously, we are in a sorry state.”

Speaking on the cost of schooling, Otun said, “Definitely, the cost of processing will go up because the means of transaction too (dollars) keeps going up. Take for instance if the cost of a flight ticket to the UK two years ago is $300 at N500 to $1 and today the same dollar is exchanged for N1,500 to the same $1, that will be three times the actual cost two years ago.”

A source at the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria who works closely with international airlines, said the fees for travellers varied from airline to airline.

She said as of June, 2023, the cost of a flight to the UK was around £850. She could not give an actual rate but she noted the price had been fluctuating and at the moment due to the exchange rates adding “it’s not looking any good.”

The President of the National Association of Nigerian Travel Agencies, Susan Akporiaye, believed that there was still a huge demand for international travel from Nigerians despite the rising cost due to falling naira.

Akporiaye earlier told The PUNCH, “If you compare the school fees of $10,000 from early last year to what you will pay now, there is a 300 per cent increase, and yet the demand for education abroad has not reduced; it keeps increasing despite the high costs.”

The PUNCH however gatheted that aside from the cost of fees, airfares have skyrocketed. Flight costs to London from Lagos are now hovering above N1m.

One travel agent, Tolu Omolade, told The PUNCH, “Depending on the airline, it is from N1m and above. You could travel with less than N1m before.”

Another agent, who gave his name simply as Chimaobi, in an earlier interview with The PUNCH, noted that the reliance on the black market for currency exchange because of the scarcity of FX in the official market had further exacerbated the costs of the various aspects of international travel, from visa fees to hotel bookings and airfares.

He said, “It has been quite tumultuous lately, given the fact that people are opting for the black market.”

https://punchng.com/nigerian-students-abroad-groan-over-naira-free-fall/?amp

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Haydens: 8:33pm On Feb 02
grin grin

When emilokan massively rigged election and won none of them complained.

Emilokan over incompetence.

My 2nd f.t.c

83 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Badgers14: 8:33pm On Feb 02
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by ClearFlair: 8:33pm On Feb 02
Elections have consequences. Continue joking

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Angelfrost(m): 8:34pm On Feb 02
Sigh... It's just a pity.

Well, everyone ought to have anticipated these things na.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by YungTemy(m): 8:34pm On Feb 02
Na only God fit save us o shocked

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Enddy50ty(m): 8:34pm On Feb 02
Tinubu should forget about infrastructure and tackle issues of the economy especially this Naira free fall for now.
People are hungry.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Lucaski: 8:34pm On Feb 02
cool
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by ogododo: 8:34pm On Feb 02

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by santuse: 8:34pm On Feb 02
Hmm
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by pahen1991: 8:34pm On Feb 02
Smh
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by seeker121(m): 8:34pm On Feb 02
Both rich and poor are complaining emilokan indeed.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by IsraelSongz: 8:35pm On Feb 02
Every tribe, every religion will face the together. Till we wise as a nation.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Sunofgod(m): 8:35pm On Feb 02
Tinubu international......

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by rainluv: 8:35pm On Feb 02
I'm glad most of the students complaining are from the waste side
Good one 👍

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by jonadaft: 8:35pm On Feb 02
cry
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by QueenDima47(f): 8:35pm On Feb 02
It is a very big pity seeing where APC government has kept us.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Tjra: 8:36pm On Feb 02
Haydens:
grin grin

When emilokan massively rigged election and won none of them complained.

Emilokan over incompetence.

My 2nd f.t.c
He rigged out Atiku? shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Nawa4nl: 8:36pm On Feb 02
Wetin dem expect with a drug lord as President ❓️
IsraelSongz:
How I wish it were only those who voted Tinubu that are suffering.

I encourage the SS & SE to reconsider they position in this country.

Once we realise our dream let's see where they will get Oil from & then let's see who will be using the Apapa Ports etc.

They think Agebroism is the way forward angry

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by GanagiBitrus: 8:38pm On Feb 02

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by PheelzAlmighty: 8:38pm On Feb 02
Emi lo kan

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by youngberry001(m): 8:38pm On Feb 02
naira just dey fall everyday like mango,,,,,mtcheew

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by PayEscrow: 8:38pm On Feb 02
Canada can see Nigerians and indeed other immigrants are desperate and usually only using the education for migration purpose, hence why they can say pay times 2 of what citizens are paying and they know you will surely pay.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Gondonu: 8:38pm On Feb 02
Election of useless leaders always have consequences

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Rahkman: 8:39pm On Feb 02
Those students should better develop skills and look for employment
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by love201(m): 8:39pm On Feb 02
Nigeria is badly bleeped up
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Emman08: 8:39pm On Feb 02
You dey abroad dey complain. Get off your ass, do some work and earn some money

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Gboom: 8:39pm On Feb 02
ClearFlair:
Elections have consequences. Continue joking
You are still wailing over your master loss almost a year ago
I can categorically tell your master no get ball to rule a complex country like Nigeria having fail woefully as a governor increasing poverty level of his people

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by Emman08: 8:39pm On Feb 02
IsraelSongz:

Amen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Groan Over Naira Free Fall by concho(m): 8:39pm On Feb 02
All the students complaining are from Peter Obi region . The rest gets their USD at #317

23 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Times Did You Write WAEC Or JAMB Before Passing? / Saratu Garba: 11-Year-Old Kano Maths Genius Gets World Bank-Assisted Scholarship / Lotachi Onyenam Wins 16 Awards From University Of Cape Coast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.