Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,683 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria (9970 Views)

Mixed Martial Arts UFC 152 Result Jon Jones Vs Vitor Belfort Pictures / Mixed Martial Arts UFC 145 Result Jon Jones Vs Rashad Evans Pictures / Martial Arts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 09, 2011
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)  has become a highly celebrated sport around the world with the likes of various competitions and tournaments such as the UFC in the United States, Strike Force, TKO league in Canada and recently EFC in South Africa.
It comprises of competitors who have trained in multiple disciplines coming against each other in combat. The multi-disciplinary expertise of the fighters is what makes it stand out and far more interesting to watch than the orthodox martial art competitons such as the karate and taekwondo tournaments and boxing.
Nigeria is a country already familiar with martial arts and with a vast population of youths discovering the world of sports, I see great possibilities for the promotion of Mixed martial arts events, competitions and tournaments in the country. Also let's not forget the fact that the MMA industry in the US has grown to become a multi-billion dollar industry.
I would like to use this post to reach to all the people who are enthusiastic about the sport of MMA and urge you to share your thoughts on the promotion of MMA in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by kanisan(m): 4:25am On Nov 10, 2011
hallo mastereem,

Are you a mixed martial arts practitioner or a mixed martial arts promoter?
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 10, 2011
@Kanisan I practiced MMA for some time while I was in the uk as well as brazillian jiu jutsu and also plan on goin to israel to learn Krav Maga.
I plan on promoting MMA here in Nigeria, as for now I am gathering all the necessary details.
I would look forward to working with you in the near future.

1 Like

Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by BoOOosHBoy: 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2011
I would love to join u guys

1 Like

Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Dukes83: 7:06am On Nov 14, 2011
Mixed Martial Arts is already in Nigeria my friends. There is a company called UCK (Ultimate Cage Kombat) that holds fight tournaments every two weeks & the first one is this Saturday 19th November. They also have a gym where you can learn, BJJ, Wrestling, Shoot Fighting, Boxing, Kickboxing Muay Thai. You can contact them via email at UCKGYM@yahoo.co.uk or calling Mr Nduka on 08191939391. This guy seems to be the only guy on ground who seems to be making serious waves around Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 14, 2011
@Dukes
Where is it taking place and where is the gym located?
Why has no one heard of it?
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Dukes83: 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
@ Masterrem
The wheels in Lagos turn very slowly but this thing is for real.  cool Apparently UCK will be hosting bigger shows as of early next year at large venues all over Lagos & Nigeria. I don't know the exact address but I know both the UCK Gym and venue are both in Illupeju. I heard about it through a friend who is training boxing and BJJ there.

Oh and by the way, there email address is uckgym@yahoo.com, I got it wrong the last time.
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by perezola: 5:29pm On Dec 12, 2011
pls send me an email on agboolagureje@yahoo.com. We have alot to discuss. i know the president of the federation atm. we need pips like u for now
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Dukes83: 9:34am On Dec 21, 2011
@perezola, is there an Mixed Martial Arts Federation in Nigeria or are you talking about one of the Martial Arts Federations?
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by perezola: 4:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
there is a federation buh she is still very small, all she does for now is register candidates for kempo karate competitions happening here and abroad. The ministry aint offering full support as expected. In other words, it can be raised to at least SA standard. That's why i said we need people that can make things happen.
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Dukes83: 2:08pm On Jan 18, 2012
Okay Mixed Martial Arts fans here, is the UCK Gym Weekly training schedule for all those who want to get in shape & learn things that no one else in Lagos is teaching!

ALL CLASSES START AT 11AM & EACH CLASS IS 1 HOUR!

Tuesday:  Boxing (1 hour) + Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (1 Hour)

Wednesday:  Kickboxing / Muay Thai (1 Hour) + Wrestling (1 Hour)

Thursday:  Wrestling (1 Hour) + Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (1 Hour)

Saturday:  Boxing (1 Hour) + Kickboxing / Muay Thai (1 Hour) + Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (1 Hour)

A minimum of 4-6 students per class and all lessons must be booked in advance before the day of the class either by telephone or in person at the UCK Gym.

REGULAR CLASSES

500 Naira per martial arts segment, i.e. Boxing= 500 Naira, Boxing + Kickboxing = 1000 Naira, Boxing + Wrestling + Brazilian Jiu Jitsu = 1500, etc

PRIVATE LESSONS

Private lessons can be requested and are 2000 Naira per martial arts segment, i.e. Boxing = 2000 Naira, Boxing + Kickboxing = 4000 Naira, Boxing+ Kickboxing + Wrestling = 6000 Naira, etc

You do not have to select all martial arts segments in the day you wish to train and can choose to train only one or as many as you like.

NOTE: All students must bring their own mouth piece, shorts, two pairs of T-shirts, water & face towel for training. All equipment for classes will be provided and will be available for every student in attendance.

UCK GYM Address: 3-6, Alhaji Adejumo Avenue, Illupeju Industrial Estate, Anthony - Oshodi Expressway, turn right at the Total Petrol Filling Station.

Contact Mr Nduka for all UCK GYM enquirers. 08191939391
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by donpiero: 6:36pm On Feb 12, 2012
mistereem "practising for a while",is how long?Have you fought professionally or at least amateur?If so,post me some youtube links, Cos I just wanna know ur capability of coaching someone.Have you got any coaching certification? in boxing,thai or bjj?talkless of krav maga. How do you intend to implement krav maga into mma when in krav maga primary attacks are being taught to attack the groin.
I do all these you see in uk here,train everyday,preparing for some fights and was thinking of taking it on to nija as well,but like I said,expertise is the key.
Coming to nija soon for business and might need to train in someplace to keep in shape,thats why I ask you all this.
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by sammyabuja: 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2012
Donpiero contact me. sammyabuja@yahoo.co
There are very very good Nigerian Martial Artists here.
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by tosyno0070: 1:33am On Sep 25, 2013
sir, this is rare opportunity for Nigeria youths to participate in martial art programs.
I personally want to be party to this event if I can be given a chance to proof myself as a good fighter and with help from good trainer I think I can go to distance and be a champion.for further information about me please you can reach me on thus phone number +2348027565309 .hope to hear from you soon. thanks
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Aghogho007: 11:17am On Apr 10, 2018
My name I Emmanuel, I have good taekwondo skills and have been following krav Maga for sometime now. I would really love to become an MMA fighter and hoping to be the best in the world.
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Framaukwu: 11:13am On May 02, 2020
All my life
I have always wished to be a martial art fighter
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Strech(m): 3:05pm On May 02, 2020
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by AuthorGIFT(m): 9:46am On Jul 31, 2020
Excuse me everyone why can't nigeria form their own martial art just like kung fu krav manga that would motivate nigerians more
Re: Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria by Looking4massage: 1:09pm On Oct 19, 2023
i need to enrol

(1) (Reply)

"I Have No Plans To Work In Portugal" - Jose Mourinho Rules Out Benfica Return / Cyriel Dessers Wins Feyenoord’s November Player, Goal Of The Month Awards / West Brom To Avenge Odewingie's Racist Banner By *****ing Russians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.