Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. (32168 Views)

Dame Diana Rigg Dies At 82 / Kaffy And Her 82-year-old Mother Dance Together (photos) / 9ice Shades Tinubu As He Throws His Support Behind Jimi Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by naptu2: 3:31pm On Feb 05
Breaking: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82

By Tomi Falade
Feb 5, 2024

Renowned cultural icon, Jimi Solanke is dead.

According to news reaching INDEPENDENT Newspapers, the 82 year old dramatist, folk singer, plawright and poet passed on in the early hours of today, Monday, February 5 after a brief illness. He died en route the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital.

Born on July 4, 1942, in Ipara Remo, Jimi Solanke’s artistic journey began as a pioneer member of the Orisun Theatre Group, founded by the renowned Wole Soyinka, in 1961. His contributions to the global entertainment industry spanned seven decades, leaving an indelible mark on various platforms, from the Western Nigeria Television in the 1960s to international festivals in Senegal and Algeria during the 1970s.

Solanke’s versatility shone through in epic performances such as “Death and the King’s Horseman,” “Kurunmi,” “Kongi’s Harvest,” “The Divorce,” and “Ovaramwen Nogbaisi.”

His captivating stagecraft and theatrical brilliance earned him accolades and recognition, both locally and internationally.

The Oxford Times hailed him as a “Skilled Nigerian Actor,” and the New York Times recognised him as the star of an “Excellent Troupe” during a performance of Wole Soyinka’s “Kongi’s Harvest.”

Affectionately known as Baba Agba, Solanke was more than just an actor; he was a consummate quintessential songwriter, performer, visual artist, and storyteller extraordinaire.

Described as “a better singer than an actor” by those who witnessed his enchanting performances, he often referred to himself as an “actor-singer,” seamlessly merging his acting prowess with musical delivery.

His impact extended beyond the stage and screen, as Solanke was the Founder and Artistic Director of Ibudo Asa in Ipara Remo, Remo North Local Government, Ogun State, Nigeria.

He leaves behind a legacy that transcends borders, resonating in the hearts of those who had the privilege to witness his artistry.

Jimi Solanke is survived by his wife, Chief Mrs. Toyin Solanke, and his passing marks the end of an era in Nigerian entertainment, leaving a void that will be felt for years to come.

The cultural ambassador extraordinaire has left an indomitable imprint on the history of African arts and will be remembered for his contributions to the enrichment of the nation’s cultural heritage.

https://independent.ng/breaking-jimi-solanke-dies-at-82/

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by naptu2: 3:31pm On Feb 05
He sang, he told stories, he acted on TV, he acted on stage, he acted in movies, he wrote and recited poems, there was nothing that he couldn't do.

He had a children's show on Saturdays on LTV 8 in the 1980s and he had another children's show on the NTA in the 1990s (I think it was called Storyland). He told stories to children on both programmes.

Here he is singing Tunji Oyelana's classic song Mo Lo S'Oko at the Wole Soyinka Theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTKPo_mZvk?si=T6rjxO6BURUeHRuC

65 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by naptu2: 3:32pm On Feb 05
He was actually 81 (Daily Independent made a mistake).

Beautiful Nubia interviewing Jimi Solanke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnFKuQtOSU?si=_2q8InrR4ZX9GK3z

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Ishilove: 3:32pm On Feb 05

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by naptu2: 3:38pm On Feb 05
Ishilove:

Ah, good, you are here, I won't have to call you. Jimi Solanke is dead.

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Edoreborn: 3:42pm On Feb 05
Rip sir..Abeg who else is xperiencing no service on mtn?

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Sirmwill: 3:42pm On Feb 05
Welllllll

This once again reminds us all about the inevitable

Peace out

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by ednut1(m): 3:45pm On Feb 05
RIP legend. I remember his story telling shows as a child

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by siraj1402(m): 3:45pm On Feb 05
In summary
1. Renowned cultural icon Jimi Solanke passed away at the age of 82 after a brief illness, en route to the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital.
2. Born on July 4, 1942, in Ipara Remo, Solanke's artistic journey began with the Orisun Theatre Group in 1961, founded by Wole Soyinka.
3. He made significant contributions to the global entertainment industry for seven decades, showcasing his versatility in various performances and earning accolades internationally.
4. Known as Baba Agba, Solanke was not only an actor but also a songwriter, performer, visual artist, and storyteller extraordinaire.
5. His legacy extends beyond borders, leaving an indomitable imprint on the history of African arts, and he is survived by his wife, Chief Mrs. Toyin Solanke, marking the end of an era in Nigerian entertainment.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by duduade: 3:45pm On Feb 05
Oh Nooooo

Storyland Storyland

Rest in perfect peace Sir

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by bravojohny(m): 3:45pm On Feb 05
Bad
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by ProudNigerian01: 3:45pm On Feb 05
May his soul rest in peace and may God give his family the fortitude to bear the loss.

The truth is death is a sure end for all of us and it can come at any time whether we are in the best frame of health or not and after that death comes judgement.

The fact that you are afraid of dying is not what will keep it away from you.

Make your way pure with God, tomorrow may be too late.

Repent, forsake your sinful ways and rededicate yourself to God.
No matter your sin, God will forgive you

1Thess.5.9 - For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Prayer: Father please forgive me my sins and keep me faithful to you until death in Jesus name. Amen.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 3:45pm On Feb 05
naptu2:

Rest in peace. If not for the harsh economy governed by Tinubu he would have gotten to 100 yrs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by tishbite43: 3:45pm On Feb 05
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by richiemcgold: 3:46pm On Feb 05

This man sabi tell story well well

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Starhearts: 3:46pm On Feb 05
naptu2:

Wetin u gain with d figure u type?
Anyway wetin concerned me with wetin wey no concern me
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by samonak(m): 3:46pm On Feb 05
My childhood was spectacular. Story land and Tales by moonlight was the hallmark of my childhood days on Saturdays and Sundays I was glued to the TV set watching Jimi Solanke's story telling skills on display.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by fergie001: 3:46pm On Feb 05
Master story-teller .... Rest In Power

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by TheDemola: 3:46pm On Feb 05
Oh wow!!! Rest in peace master story teller

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by BigBlackPreek(m): 3:46pm On Feb 05
Rip great man

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Kay25(m): 3:46pm On Feb 05
Rip to a legend

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by ecolime(m): 3:46pm On Feb 05
The storyteller. Rest well Legend cry

I grew up watching Pa Solanke

Nigeria just lost a gem.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by deekseen(m): 3:47pm On Feb 05
Storyland, Storyland, land of Music Fun and Jokes

Storyland, Storyland, bring your friends along!

RIP Uncle Jimi

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by bravojohny(m): 3:47pm On Feb 05
Rest in perfect peace, sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by laivwire(m): 3:48pm On Feb 05
I watched his shows on Galaxy and B.C.O.S as a kid. His passing indeed marks the end of an era.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Thermythorpe(f): 3:48pm On Feb 05
He lived an exemplary life

Always instilling good moral values and tenets especially in the younger generation

Rest in peace,Baba

Just watched JagunJagun(Narrator)again

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Adewale1603(m): 3:48pm On Feb 05
Legend

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by sirjoggy(m): 3:48pm On Feb 05
RIP Legend

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by femi4: 3:48pm On Feb 05
naptu2:

Storyland, Storyland
Land of music, fun and tales.....
Storyland, Storyland...bring your friends along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf2UHlVU1tw?si=FUKL80tU-dKaba1x

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Golan007: 3:49pm On Feb 05
Legend for real.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Golan007: 3:49pm On Feb 05
That's how the legend of "leave story for Jimi Solanke" was formed.

8 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Don Jazzy Shares Photo With His Dad / Jide Kosoko's 65th Birthday Party: Odunlade Adekola, Others Spotted (Photos) / TV Sex Prank: Reekado Banks Reacts After Lady Called Him Out On Live TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.