Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. (32172 Views)

Dame Diana Rigg Dies At 82 / Kaffy And Her 82-year-old Mother Dance Together (photos) / 9ice Shades Tinubu As He Throws His Support Behind Jimi Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by tolaade1960: 4:31pm On Feb 05
A legend musician , performed in UniIfe .
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by sisisioge: 4:37pm On Feb 05
Awwww....uncle Jimi Solanke, may God rest him well.

He had some many folktales in him.

3 Likes

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by jurjes(f): 4:39pm On Feb 05
He was part of my childhood, I listened to him on Story land via NTA Channel 10 PH.

Story land
Story land
Na na na nanna for the show
Story land story land
Bring your friends along.

RIP Baba
Journey well.

3 Likes

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by adioolayi(m): 4:41pm On Feb 05
Rest in Peace Baba Jimi Solanke... popularly called Uncle Jimi.

God rest your soul.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by cocolacec(m): 4:42pm On Feb 05
Storyland, Storyland,bring your friends along.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Oladnote: 4:43pm On Feb 05
Rest In Peace, baba agba.
I still remember his song...

Baba agba, baba agba,
Eru lon ba mi o
Nitori omo kekere kan
T'o loun fe s'oko mi
Ko je duro sile
Ko f'ara mo mi
Jojumo jojumo
L'o dedo l'on d'egbe...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by themanderon: 4:45pm On Feb 05
This man held us spell bound with his story telling abilities on Storyland when we were kids. He will tell his stories captivatingly and then burst out singing. Truly and end of an era and a reminder that as the days go by we are heading to our graves.
I still remember one of his songs on storyland " Foolish animals tirigbangbatiri drop your hoes tirigbangba drop your cutless let us dance" or something like that. The era when Nigeria was sweet. Rip baba Solanke.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Greenback: 4:46pm On Feb 05
May God rest his soul.

His contemporaries are no longer useful in his region as it used to be...riff raffs and urchins and area boys and agberoes are now the ones in charge of the society
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by omooba969(m): 4:47pm On Feb 05
RiP Uncle Jimi. 😔🕯️
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by simply22: 4:51pm On Feb 05
May his soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by ZKOSOSO(m): 4:51pm On Feb 05
He gave his all..... fare thee well.....Legend

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Lomprico2: 4:57pm On Feb 05
Oh dear! Rest in peace sir! You made my childhood awesome. A fantastic story teller.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by FreeStuffsNG: 5:01pm On Feb 05
naptu2:
He sang, he told stories, he acted on TV, he acted on stage, he acted in movies, he wrote and recited poems, there was nothing that he couldn't do.

He had a children's show on Saturdays on LTV 8 in the 1980s and he had another children's show on the NTA in the 1990s (I think it was called Storyland). He told stories to children on both programmes.

Here he is singing Tunji Oyelana's classic song Mo Lo S'Oko at the Wole Soyinka Theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTKPo_mZvk?si=T6rjxO6BURUeHRuC

Pa Jimi Solanke lives on. Remo just lost a great Son. May God console his family and associates. Baba has been so long around that I believed that Pa Solanke will be around for ever. The good news is that he lived to a ripe age.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Holluwhakemmy(f): 5:13pm On Feb 05
Eyah our former neighbour. Rest In Peace Sir

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by exegesis: 5:14pm On Feb 05
themanderon:
This man held us spell bound with his story telling abilities on Storyland when we were kids. He will tell his stories captivatingly and then burst out singing. Truly and end of an era and a reminder that as the days go by we are heading to our graves.
I still remember one of his songs on storyland " Foolish animals tirigbangbatiri drop your hoes tirigbangba drop your cutless let us dance" or something like that. The era when Nigeria was sweet. Rip baba Solanke.
You got me right there. That is what I've been singing since I saw the news. My brother and I loved the song so much those days. I was already planning on calling my brother to sing the song to him and tell him the originator of the song is no more. Memories! May his soul rest in peace. Amen.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Exceed15: 5:26pm On Feb 05
ednut1:
RIP legend. I remember his story telling shows as a child

I do too. He was a good narrator.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by malaria(f): 5:43pm On Feb 05
naptu2:
He sang, he told stories, he acted on TV, he acted on stage, he acted in movies, he wrote and recited poems, there was nothing that he couldn't do.

He had a children's show on Saturdays on LTV 8 in the 1980s and he had another children's show on the NTA in the 1990s (I think it was called Storyland). He told stories to children on both programmes.

Here he is singing Tunji Oyelana's classic song Mo Lo S'Oko at the Wole Soyinka Theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTKPo_mZvk?si=T6rjxO6BURUeHRuC

Was he the brain behind story land? Oh I enjoyed those programme those days . May he RIP
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by ayandee: 6:04pm On Feb 05
Story land, story land. Life was simple then. No TV until 4pm. Kids went out to play and fly kites with friends and neighbours and then returned at 4pm for TV.

RIP Baba Solanke.

3 Likes

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by membranus: 6:06pm On Feb 05
ecolime:
The storyteller. Rest well Legend cry

I grew up watching Pa Solanke

Nigeria just lost a gem.

Me too.

We be old schools.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by membranus: 6:11pm On Feb 05
I remember him giving me N5,000 long time ago when he came visiting his niece in a bank I was working then.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Pennilessword1: 6:18pm On Feb 05
Story land story land. RiP
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by mipeesoft(m): 6:20pm On Feb 05
I will never forget storyline on NTA in the late 80s especially the tortoise stories. RIP great one and thank you for making my younger age a memorable one
naptu2:

https://independent.ng/breaking-jimi-solanke-dies-at-82/
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by bbonair(m): 6:25pm On Feb 05
I grew up with his folktale stories on NTA Channel 5....

Good night Papa Jimi Solanke
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Omoluabi16(m): 6:25pm On Feb 05
What a man! What a legend! He was all about entertaining kids with his stories.
Nothing like that again. It's all music music music now. Pa Solanke, sun re oo.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by marvrick: 6:30pm On Feb 05
naptu2:

https://independent.ng/breaking-jimi-solanke-dies-at-82/

I'm 49yrs old this month but I can still remember his sweet voice singing
"We've come to say hello, we've come to say hello, Mr lion, Mr tortoise, Mr snake and Mr mouse is come to say hello" or so it goes. That children's program was one of my best apart from tom and Jerry. Rest in peace legend!
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by naptu2: 6:32pm On Feb 05
marvrick:

I'm 49yrs old this month but I can still remember his sweet voice singing
"We've come to say hello, we've come to say hello, Mr lion, Mr tortoise, Mr snake and Mr mouse is come to say hello" or so it goes. That children's program was one of my best apart from tom and Jerry. Rest in peace legend!

That's Uncle Wole of Animal Games, not Uncle Jimi Solanke.

It's Wole Akinosho
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by marvrick: 6:33pm On Feb 05
naptu2:

It's Wole Akinosho
Thanks for the correction, though they both look alike sha
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by Amotolongbo(f): 6:34pm On Feb 05
Rest in Peace Baba Solanke.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by joseph1832(m): 6:35pm On Feb 05
naptu2:

It's Wole Akinosho
Jimi Solanke of Story Land, that aired on NTA Channel 10 and 5, every Thursday by 6:30pm.

Men how I love those days. Never a dull moment. His stories were top notch, even better than the ones told on Tales By Moonlight.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by naptu2: 6:38pm On Feb 05
marvrick:

Thanks for the correction, though they both look alike sha

Yeah.

Animal Games ran from around 1980 till around 1990 on NTA Channel 10. Although it's not on TV anymore, he still does live shows.

(That's a picture of Wole Akinosho that was taken a long time ago)

Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by EMIOMOADEOYE: 7:50pm On Feb 05
Thank you for adding spice and life to my boyhood.

Glad I had the chance to say that to him while he was alive.
Re: Jimi Solanke Dies At 82. by missymide: 8:20pm On Feb 05
Storyland days hmmm may his soul find eternal rest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

TV Sex Prank: Reekado Banks Reacts After Lady Called Him Out On Live TV / Davido Visits 5 Year Old Boy, Grants Him His Christmas Wish / Actress Ruth Kadiri Set To Wed Secretly This November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.