Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,268 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand (21292 Views)

Biden Tells Crowd He Recently Met With Mitterrand, President Who Died In 1996 / Man Parks Truck Filled With Dead Bodies At Mexico Governor's Mansion / ‘ Jacques Chirac: Former French President Dies At 86’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by ijustdey: 10:25pm On Feb 06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Zh1NLpMpE?si=SYDZDXkUslmBYBGO

US President Joe Biden confused his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron with France’s long-dead former leader Francois Mitterrand, in a campaign speech shared on social media.

Addressing a campaign event in Las Vegas on Sunday, the 81-year-old US leader included an anecdote about Macron’s reaction to a speech at a G7 meeting in 2020.

And Mitterrand from Germany — I mean, from France — looked at me and said, ‘You know, what — why — how long you back for?'” Biden said.

A later White House transcript inserted the correct name, Macron, in brackets.

Mitterrand was French president from 1981 to 1995, and died in 1996.

Video of the mix-up has been widely viewed and shared on social media, and shared hundreds of times.

Biden has made similar public mistakes in the past, notably in September 2022 when he called on a deceased congresswoman at a conference she helped organize.

“Jackie, are you here? Where’s Jackie? I think she was going to be here,” he said, referring to Indiana representative Jackie Walorski, who had died a month earlier.

And in April last year, a White House transcript corrected Biden when he confused New Zealand’s All Blacks rugby team with the Black and Tans, a British military force notorious for its involvement in the Irish War of Independence.

The transcript of his speech, given in a pub in Ireland, crossed out “Black and Tans” and inserted “All Blacks”.

Biden’s predecessor and probable opponent in the November presidential election, Donald Trump, made a similar gaffe last month, confusing his party rival Nikki Haley with former House speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Biden, Trump come under age scrutiny
Trump, 77, had falsely said Haley was in charge of security during the violent assault on the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, prompting her to question his mental fitness during a campaign speech.

Following Trump’s gaffe, Biden also took the opportunity to make a dig at his potential presidential rival.

“I don’t agree with Nikki Haley on everything, but we agree on this much: She is not Nancy Pelosi,” he had written in a post.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/biden-confuses-macron-with-dead-french-president/

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by onuman: 10:30pm On Feb 06
Age is not reversible.

Another bala blue bulaba from a town hall meeting.
When aged men refuse to quit the scene for the younger generations...

113 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by illicit(m): 10:32pm On Feb 06
🥵

1 Like

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Malroux: 10:42pm On Feb 06
Thiefnubuu did more than this.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by gaby(m): 12:15am On Feb 07
BAT elder brother.

The gerontocrats playing ludo with the lives of the youths, worldwide.

Grandfathers who should be confined to "Senior Living Facilities" making decisions for the youths with their failed obsolete ideas.

That was how the Republican Senate leader (Mitch McConnel) was on air giving a speech and got frozen in time for minutes looking like a zombie.

Disgraceful..

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by osuofia2(m): 11:38am On Feb 07
LIke BAT

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Xscape1993(m): 11:38am On Feb 07
Second Tinubu the drug master.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:38am On Feb 07
cry
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by honestivo(m): 11:38am On Feb 07
These old men they won't leave power

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by kingthreat(m): 11:38am On Feb 07
Sometimes when I want to mock Nigeria for having Tinubu as president, I remember America.
I remember sleepy Ol' Joe Biden grin

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Jammy2012(m): 11:39am On Feb 07
Retrograde amnesia grin I hope he still recognises button for nuclear warheads. So that he will not confuse it for panic button. These old lots suppose don resign for proper treatment

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by madfind: 11:39am On Feb 07
Tinubu brother

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Coldspice: 11:40am On Feb 07
Wahala
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by madfind: 11:40am On Feb 07
And he still want to run for president, person wen suppose jejely waka

5 Likes

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by bigdammyj: 11:40am On Feb 07
Noted.
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by BobbieZion(m): 11:40am On Feb 07
honestivo:
These old men they won't leave power

Paul Biya....comes to mind.

3 Likes

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Akinzo2121(m): 11:40am On Feb 07
80 years old man😁
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by sukkot: 11:41am On Feb 07
grin
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by allenpaul(m): 11:41am On Feb 07
Grandpa been talking to the dead 🤣

2 Likes

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Maks27: 11:41am On Feb 07
Today is February 7 and federal government workers haven’t received January salary
Hmm it is well

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by ArmaniUhuru: 11:41am On Feb 07
This one brain don dey go. Old age na old age.
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by ModestManager: 11:41am On Feb 07
Ha ha ha
cheesy
angry
Results of old age.....Democrats better bring up a more worthy opposition than the incumbent (Biden).....

Otherwise The Republicans, principally Donald Trump, or Ron DeSantis, whoever wins, will route the man. It won't even be as close as Hillary Clinton/Trump's was!

President Biden presently has the lowest popularity of ANY sitting president IN AN ELECTION YEAR!

3 Likes

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Patriotic9ja(m): 11:41am On Feb 07
Life. You can't cheat nature. He is an old man and very much expected. Just that it would've been more honorable for him to quit that highly exalted office due to his age. On a normal day, Biden is very intelligent and eloquent. But we are all like leaves 🍃 and flowers 💐 that wither with time ⏲️

He has made his marks on earth 🌎 already

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by lexy2014: 11:42am On Feb 07
ijustdey:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/biden-confuses-macron-with-dead-french-president/

in this your video, I dont see anywhere he referred to Macron as Mitterand
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Egoveen: 11:43am On Feb 07
If anyone fit cheat nature and old age make i bend😂😂😂😂😂😂
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Ken91(m): 11:43am On Feb 07
Someone should give me a link to connect with Nigeria UK women
I want to marry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Buffalo2(m): 11:43am On Feb 07
BULABA!
Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by DissTroy(m): 11:44am On Feb 07
Sleepy Joe for a reason. More weapons added to Trump's arsenal. I'm sure he'd mention it in one of his rallies.

1 Like

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by Lumig: 11:44am On Feb 07
No big deal, it's just old-age worrying him. Maybe Mitterand is calling him to come over to the other side

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Confuses Macron With Dead French President, Mitterrand by seunny4lif(m): 11:46am On Feb 07
Baba still wan go the second term.
Biden has been a Politician for over 40 years shocked shocked shocked
Senate or Rep, VP and now President

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See what Vladimir Putin said about muslims in Russia- Cramjones / Qassem Suleimani: At Least 20 Killed In Blasts Near Grave Of IRGC Commander. / Russia Will Not Attack NATO But F-16s Will Be Shot Down In Ukraine, Putin Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.