Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,247 members, 7,811,693 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn (12521 Views)

82-Year-Old Hypertensive Patient Recovers From COVID-19 In Osun / Permanent Cure For Arthritis/ Cure It Now Before It Makes You hypertensive / Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by ManirBK: 8:51am On Feb 09
Medical experts in the country have warned hypertensive patients against participating in activities that cause excitement or put much pressure on the heart.

Speaking on the possibilities of what could have happened to those who died while watching the football match between Nigeria and South Africa on Wednesday, consultant cardiologist, federal medical centre, Jabi, Dr. Salau Ibrahim, said the sudden collapse could be as a result of stroke, sudden heart attack or stress induced heart problem.

The cardiologist told LEADERSHIP that age matters a lot and for people who are older and have other problems like heart issues or the kidney, they need to be very careful about things that stress the organs, especially the heart.

He cautioned against anxiety or stress, explaining that anxiety is a form of emotional stress.”

Dr. Salau said the major causes of such sudden deaths are stroke or heart attack.

Like the two incidents that happened on Wednesday, it could be that they had heart attack or abnormal heart reading. it’s possible they are hypertensive, diabetic and have not been checking themselves.

So, it’s either they had heart attack or they had cardiac arrhythmia, which can predispose someone to having cardiac arrest. Everything still falls under cardiac arrest.

Those are the major things. Regular check and lifestyle modification is very important. If you have any background comorbidity like hypertension or diabetes, ensure you take your medications regularly,” he advised.

Dr. Salau said “You can watch football even if you are hypertensive but you need to be sure that your blood pressure is well regulated, and taking your medication adequately.

“Being hypertensive is not a contradiction to watching football but you need to know the status of your heart before you watch that kind of very intense game.

“Avoid watching football among the crowd that can put pressure on you,
” he advised.

Also, a consultant cardiologist at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Dr Ramon Moronkola has linked the possible causes of deaths during the football match to stroke as a result of cardiac arrest and heart or brain issue.

Moronkola told LEADERSHIP that when there is emotional surge, which is a sudden increase of an emotion, many things could go wrong.

“Your adrenaline is pumping and your blood pressure could go up immediately. For someone that has underlying cardiovascular disease that is not well managed, that person could suffer from a sudden cardiac arrest, which could lead to death.

“For example, if the person has myocardial ischemic heart disease, which occurs when blood flow to your heart is reduced, preventing the heart muscle from receiving enough oxygen, that emotional surge could make that person develop heart attack which could lead to sudden death,” he explained

The physician also identified another possibility as having heart failure that is not properly managed, adding that when such a person is experiencing emotional surge due to the match, that could lead to sudden death as well.

He said emotional surge can also lead to abnormal heart beat, which can also lead to sudden death.

In essence, for those with underlying diseases like hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol around the heart area, cardiac arrest is inevitable due to emotional surge as a result of the match, he affirmed.

He said there is another set of people who may not have had heart disease prior to the match, but they have genetic predisposition that made their heart go into abnormal heart beating due to emotional surge, which could lead to death.

The cardiologist, therefore, urged Nigerians to have regular heart check.

“Please go for regular heart check, Moronkola stated, adding that, “Do not wait until you have symptoms or until a problem arises before you go to the hospital. It might be too late, as with the case of Wednesday. If you are diagnosed with any heart condition, please treat it well.

For those who already know their heart status, the cardiologist advised them to control their emotion properly. “If watching the match can make you experience emotional surge, then don’t watch,” he appealed to Nigerians.

Speaking further, he said this is also a wake-up call for the government to ensure that the country’s emergency response system is well developed, the cardiologist stated, adding that, “This involved training everybody on how to do basic resuscitation.

“Government should ensure that places like airport, supermarket and churches etc, where people are gathered should have a Automated External Defibrillator (AED), which is used to help those experiencing sudden cardiac arrest. It’s a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use, medical device that can analyze the heart’s rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock, or defibrillation, to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm.”

In the same vein, consultant family physician at the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, Dr. Chira Obiora, told LEADERSHIP that people can watch football but they should first of all know their health challenges.

Dr Obiora said if your health challenges get stimulated, watching football will release adrenaline which can cause problem especially if you have a cardiovascular problem.

“It can trigger a heart problem and the person can have heart attack and die. It can even trigger stroke in some people especially if they are not controlling their blood pressure very well. That is why excitement can kill somebody.

“Excitement whether positive or negative, there are hormones that are released. That hormone is known as adrenaline, that is the hormone released when one is excited. It also releases it in anxiety, so what happens is that this hormone, one of the functions is that it can narrow blood vessels and make the blood pressure to increase a bit.

“So if one is having a pressure problem, it can trigger it or if the pressure is not good enough, it can even burst because if it is narrower, the pressure in the vessels will increase, so that is how it stringers heart attack. Even the narrowness of blood vessels can cause different forms of cardiovascular phenomenon to arise; from heart attack to stroke to even the clot in the blood vessel which can even detach and go and block somewhere, it can cause pulmonary embolism or any other thing,” he explained.

The family physician advised that the general thing is for people to go for general medical checks especially as it relates to age and family history. “That is the basic thing,” he said, while stating that someone who is hypertensive can watch football if the person is doing the right thing; controlling his or her blood pressure, doing medical checkup and trying as much as possible to have positive outflow so that the person will not be tensed unnecessary.

https://leadership.ng/afcon-avoid-watching-football-if-hypertensive-doctors-warn/

7 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by ManirBK: 8:52am On Feb 09
Good development

pls do not kill your self watching Super chickens but realy they are now super eagles

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Arobaga: 8:52am On Feb 09
ManirBK:
Good development

What is good development

Abi na everything una read online na good development

Una wan add this info to one of Tinubu achievements too?

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by ekelebeXstunner: 8:54am On Feb 09
No doctor posted this. Hungry Nigerian journalists don type another one.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by God1000(m): 8:57am On Feb 09
Good advice

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by thesicilian: 9:38am On Feb 09
If your team is Man City, Liverpool, Bayern etc you can watch all the football you want, it even reduces your BP.

But as for Chelsea, Arsenal, Nigeria, it is strongly advisable not to watch if you already have high blood pressure.

Man U fans belong to a different category altogether. Those ones have completely lost hope altogether so theirs goes beyond high blood pressure to depression, suicide attempts, and a whole lot of other psychiatric issues

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Karleb(m): 9:40am On Feb 09
That's what happens when you watch football only when Nigeria is playing.

Some of us have seen it all. Nothing dey shark us again. undecided

14 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by crossfm: 10:46am On Feb 09
Hehehe.

The truth is that majority of Nigerians are hypertensive today but they don't know grin.

With what everybody is going through in Nigeria today,to develop high BP is very easy.

No security.
No food.
No light.
No good roads.
No money to flex.

Everything listed above will directly move even strong men to develop high BP.

My advice is that people should try and be going for medical check up, even if na for credit grin tongue.

Nigeria herself is a big hospital,we are all sick tongue shocked.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by slaawomirr: 10:46am On Feb 09
Damnnn niggar

See them soft hearted people everywhere

We way dey do sport betting everyday we suppose don die of heart attack na

Infact if you are a keyboard warrior you can't suffer depression and heart breaks again
Do you even know what we keyboard warriors experience every day

I lost 7million naira yesterday because one stupid bank in Czech Republic told my woman that my company is fake

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by PheelzAlmighty: 10:47am On Feb 09
Nigeria is a fvcking crime scene.

Let's be guided, nothing works, ever has, ever will
#spits

3 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Seunpapa65: 10:47am On Feb 09
Apart from betting crying in football is a foolish thing
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Sergio101(m): 10:48am On Feb 09
Actually if you haven't known how your body reacts to anger, stress, emotional chaos and co..... football as that Super eagle vs Bafana Bafana will bring it out to you.

Some people were dropping tears (especially girls)

Some were walking around without finding comfort in sitting

My friend that sat beside me was shouting and calling them "idiotsss!!!!, wetin this morafucker dey play!!!" All all sorts of names at each mistakes

Mine is that I sat without uttering a word again. Like I couldn't talk. Even if I tried talking.....it was very low pitch.

Until the match ended.......boom my voice came back

10 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by MayowaTallguy: 10:48am On Feb 09
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by LeeSantos(m): 10:48am On Feb 09
Add And pregnant ‘fore they deliver 3 months old babe with force
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by inoki247: 10:49am On Feb 09
Lol Dr should first warn hospital showing Nigeria match to dere Patients they're murderer dey are trying to kill dere patients on Purpose...

Buh people playing sport bettt Join all this in few years time the rate at which dem go dey visit hospital bkuz of dere heart go dey frequent...

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by teejoyz: 10:49am On Feb 09
thesicilian:
If your team is Man City, Liverpool, Bayern etc you can watch all the football you want, it even reduces your BP.

But as for Chelsea, Arsenal, Nigeria, it is strongly advisable not to watch if you already have high blood pressure.

Man U fans belong to a different category altogether. Those ones have completely lost hope altogether so theirs goes beyond high blood pressure to depression, suicide attempts, and a whole lot of other psychiatric issues

[color=#000099][/color]

Abeg remove Chelsea there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 10:50am On Feb 09
Cha E
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by MayowaTallguy: 10:50am On Feb 09
Omo,one girl was with me yesterday and we were watching together around 15 min South Africa almost scored damn! If you see how she shouted, I was scared af.
She was like "is this what you guys are watching every week,no wonder you are heartless" grin

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Vinnie2000(m): 10:50am On Feb 09
True. smiley

But with the number of persons who slumped and died in the past 2,3 days,
I suspect the handiwork of tinubulations and APC Agbado pandemic. embarassed undecided
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by yesloaded: 10:50am On Feb 09
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by axglide(m): 10:51am On Feb 09
Good advice

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by vickgrell(m): 10:51am On Feb 09
How Sunday match own go come be. No watch the match if you no get the heart o

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Sultty(m): 10:51am On Feb 09
ManirBK:

https://leadership.ng/afcon-avoid-watching-football-if-hypertensive-doctors-warn/
what about we that bet. What advice do u give as your ticket cut right B4 your eyes

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Kingpele(m): 10:52am On Feb 09
Hahaha Hahaha I can't watch super Eagle live match for complete duration and I will never watch it alone ..I have to go to a viewing centre...if I watch small I will go outside for more than ten minutes before coming back to continue watching it...but this Sunday I pray I will be able to watch it at all....except if Super Eagle is leading them up to 2 goals...I can't come and kill myself over nothing
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Rebuker(m): 10:53am On Feb 09
Nice advice. May we always be alive to celebrate our victory and may our happiness never lead to death🙏

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0E0iIjyW6U
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Jokerman(m): 10:53am On Feb 09
Nigerian ball you mean.

As a man utd fan though, If Erik Bin Laden tactics cannot kill us, then nothing can

4 Likes

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Anguldi(m): 10:54am On Feb 09
Tension on empty stomach tongue

Porverty, insecurity and Anger is rife angry

E go reach everybody. The zookeeper have starved all the animals in the Zoo

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by SoNature(m): 10:55am On Feb 09
It's official! Super Eagles matches have been added to the long list of harm's that can kill people in Nigeria
Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Angy55(f): 10:55am On Feb 09
ekelebeXstunner:
No doctor posted this. Hungry Nigerian journalists don type another one.

Journalists or not what is written there is on point.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn by Usmanovic95(m): 10:55am On Feb 09
Something will kill a man jare

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. / National Health Insurance Scheme / Any Alternative To Brushing Teeth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.