Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers (6251 Views)

Why We Put Made In China, Italy On Our Shoes – Ariariashoemakers / FG Spends N500bn To Settle Power Debts / N5 Billion Business Funding Opportunity For Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by igbo2011(m): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
Government Spends N5 Billion Naira On "made In China" Buses With Innoson waiting

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/motoring/2011/oct/21/motoring-10-21-2011-001.html

The recent Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the Urban Development Bank of Nigeria (UDBN) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), for the importation of no fewer than 150 mass transit buses from China, has drawn the ire of stakeholders in the local automotive industry, some of whom have branded the deal an economic sabotage that should be halted immediately.

They argue that such a huge patronage which does not come very often, should have been channeled inwards to the benefit of the groaning vehicle manufacturers and the economy gnrally.

The N2.3 billion loan agreement which was signed last week at UDBN’s headquarters in Abuja, was part of a total tranche of about N5 billion approved for both the TUC and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) by the bank from its Public Mass Transit Revolving Fund which commenced last year.

While the TUC, through its President, Peter Esele, had disclosed at the ceremony that the buses for intra- and inter-state transportation, were already being built in China by an un-named Chinese company, no indications have so far emerged on the brands or origins of the vehicles the NLC plans to procure for the its own scheme.
However, the deal has been causing ripples in the auto industry where the manufacturers’ association, the individual auto plants and other stakeholders, have decried the resort to importation, even when there are vehicle plants in the country with more than enough capacities to meet the nation’s bus needs, but are barely surviving due to lack of patronage.

Reacting to the development, the Nigerian Automotive Manufacturers Association, NAMA (a body of auto manufacturers in the country), said none of its member-companies were contacted for bids or quotations before the unions and the bank opted to import the vehicles from China. Disclosing that he was yet to recover from the shock the “very bad news” gave him, NAMA Executive Director, Arthur Madueke said the unjustifiable resort to importation by the TUC and NLC would have no impact on the economy. He added, however, that if local manufacturers had been challenged with the order, it would have gone a long way in revving up activities in their plants, with tremendous multiplier effects on employment, capacity utilization, reduction in youth restiveness and halt capital flight.

He, therefore, called on President Goodluck Jonathan to intervene and ensure that the procurement is channeled inwards, in line with a Federal Government gazette issued in April this year which compels all government orders to be placed locally. Apart from the new Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited (IVM), Nnewi, Anambra State, which impressed President Goodluck Jonathan with its array of sundry buses (mini, midi, intra-city and inert-city) being produced when he commissioned the plant exactly one year ago (on Friday, October 15, 2010), there are other domestic auto plants that also make buses in the country.

However, due to lack of patronage, some of them produce only upon receiving specific orders which rarely come their way these days. Contacted on phone early in the week, the Chairman of Innoson Group, Chief Innocent Chukwuma, confirmed that no effort was made by the labour leaders or their representatives to contact his Nnewi plant to build the buses. “There is no type of bus, whether for city shuttles or longer distance transportation, that we cannot build at IVM. And individual transporters and state governments that have purchased our buses are satisfied with their performance. So, why go abroad?”

The Managing Director of National Trucks Manufacturers, Ibrahim Bayero, whose company displayed a wide range of buses at the 13th Abuja International Motor Fair that ends this weekend, told Daily Sun Motoring that the N5 billion would have made a lot of impact on Nigeria’s comatose auto industry and beyond, because of the possibility to revive several local parts manufacturing firms in the country which would have supplied the needed local content.

This explains why a media consultant and auto industry watcher, Alfred Nwosu, also argued that if allowed to succeed, the planned importation of buses by TUC and NLC, would amount to a lost opportunity to buoy up the ailing local auto industry and a huge boost to the economy of China where the vehicles will come from.
He recalled that the government of President Jonathan has always trumpeted the ‘Buy Made-in-Nigeria’ slogan, which was echoed when he opened Innoson plant in Nnewi, adding that this is the time to prove that he actually meant what he has been preaching.

Nwosu remarked: “It dose not matter if the procurement is not directly by government or any of its ministries or agencies. Urban Deveopment Bank is a government creation and the revolving fund is tax payers’. So, tax payers’ money should not be wasted abroad. Can you imagine what an order for 150 mass transit buses can do for a young plant like Innoson, which has produced similar rugged vehicles for some state governments with strong after-sales support?”

Nwosu and Madueke agreed with those who described the importation of the buses as an economic sabotage, and urged the Federal Government to treat it as such. But, Ibrahim Bayero, believes it is worse than sabotage: “Perhaps, I should say that it is like signing the death sentence for the vehicle assembly industry in the country…It is disappointing and disheartening to receive the news that the TUC is part of the unemployment situation we are facing in the country today”.

He said it is an irony that the trade unions which draw their affiliate components from the auto industry would take an action that would hurt some of their members. “At National Trucks Manufacturers, our workers are members of SEWUN (Steel & Engineering Workers Union), a part of the NLC.They pay their monthly dues to the Union and our company sponsors their executives yearly for seminars / conferences etc. Yet with all the ‘talk’ from the NLC & SEWUN leadership, the workers in NTM are ‘stabbed’ in the back”.
According to him, TUC and NLC exhibited high level of insensitivity by being fully aware of the capacities of the plants and the struggles that have been part of their existence over the years, “and yet they take 5 billion naira out of Nigeria to create jobs in another country”.

Bayero said though the Federal Government is not directly involved in the procurement, “my fear is that they would get the blame. So, I can say the development is not good for the image of the government”.
Madueke who hinted that the auto makers in the country would formally take their protests to the Presidency, Ministry of State for Industry, the National Automotive Council and the Bureau for Public Procurement, faulted the excuse by some labour leaders that workers in some plants in the country do not belong to affiliated unions, arguing “the plants where the buses are to be produced in China, do their workers belong to NLC or TUC in Nigeria?”

NLC and TUC were also advised remember what happened some years back when hundreds of Tata buses were imported into the country, but they quickly ended in the junk yards, due the not-to-high quality of the vehicles, lack of adequate after-sales support and unavailability of replacement parts.

Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by igbo2011(m): 2:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
Honestly, why would the government do this? All types of buses can be made by Innoson, why didn't they go there? This would create jobs and keep money in Nigeria instead of sending it to China. China is already rich, they should use that money in Nigeria. It would help the local part manufacturers as well. Honestly, what is wrong with this government? Inferiority complex at it's finest. Innoson is trying to make it and has the potential to provide many jobs and a thriving industry to Nigeria.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Horus(m): 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2011
The FG should cancel the importation of all the buses from China immediately. This is a shame.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by cjfavour(m): 5:23pm On Nov 09, 2011
the son learnt from the father. TUC/NLC learnt from the FG. I Remember few months ago when FG announced that they will place order in china for the production of waste bin. Smbdy pls tell me what later happened. Did they place the order? If yes, is that nt what made these union to place their own order abroad? Our leaders are simply short sighted.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Biggoozz: 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2011
Are these guy MAAAAAAAD or something? what the hell is all this madness in this country for goodness sake? angry angry
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 5:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
This is the sort of thing I am talking about. The government are just tooooo incompetent to serve US

while our Indigenous company waits to be patronised by our people, Our government is still buying from China wich might even be more expensive and worse than the Innoson own.

I weep for Niaja
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by HighChief4(m): 6:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
No hope for Nigeria. Trust me
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Rhino5dm: 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2011
This is really sad. What is annoying me is Retardinho GoatLuck Jonathan even boast of building air craft palnt in Abia State.

Well, they voted massively for him, abi no be so? 98% of votes casted for him.

Enjoy your Fresh Air!
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by 4tune1(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2011
They are looking for a place where they will buy a bus for #5m claim it cost them #10m and FOI won't be use against thdm
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
I shake my head when Igbos come here saying that they can survive alone. A business man cannot survive alone.
Innoson needs Nigeria and Nigeria needs Innoson.
Mutual rlship there.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by EkoIle1: 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2011
I must agree, this is messed up and counterproductive, but hey, thiis is the government ibo people bought with their votes.

Federal leaders from the region are obviously asleep and not doing their job by lobbyig and fighting to prevent this from happening. You cant keep on blaming other peopld, your leaders are part of the federal government and the decicion making process.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Biggoozz: 8:50pm On Nov 09, 2011
If this were to be China, these men will surely DIE! They don't deserve to remain alive. What wickedness and anti development and patroitism!
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by paniki(m): 9:17pm On Nov 09, 2011
Is Innoson able to build the same kind of busses at the same or lower price than the Chinese?
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by BootyOnMe: 9:21pm On Nov 09, 2011
God Bless China!
God Bless Africa!
A fool and his/her money are soon parted!

God bless Boko Haram the best of all! kiss
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Fhemmmy: 9:34pm On Nov 09, 2011
That is a government that that say have a vission and wanna see people be employed?
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by igbo2011(m): 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
paniki:

Is Innoson able to build the same kind of busses at the same or lower price than the Chinese?
They are pretty good. They are used in Enugu. http://innosonivm.com/En/ProductList.Asp
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
Anybody who managed to enter that Innoson Buses will never choose to enter another bus except Innoson. I entered the bus this week in Enugu and was more than happy. The will rate the bus higher than the BRT buses I enter in Lagos. The seats and its arrangement was killing, the AC, the CCRT(sorry 4spelling) and the small monitor tv, was awesome. While small buses were collecting N50 they were collecting N30 with all the comfort. I think the marketing of this product is poor coz I dont see while anybody would not choose this vehicles over those Chinese. I would be glad to see sports car of the Innoson brand. If I have my way I would market these products free of charge.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Fhemmmy: 9:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
paniki:

If we can invest into buying Chinko made, then, we could as well improve ours and be happy
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 9:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
He, therefore, called on President Goodluck Jonathan to intervene and ensure that the procurement is channeled inwards, in line with a Federal Government gazette issued in April this year which compels all government orders to be placed locally. Apart from the new Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited (IVM), Nnewi, Anambra State, which impressed President Goodluck Jonathan with its array of sundry buses (mini, midi, intra-city and inert-city) being produced when he commissioned the plant exactly one year ago (on Friday, October 15, 2010), there are other domestic auto plants that also make buses in the country.

However, due to lack of patronage, some of them produce only upon receiving specific orders which rarely come their way these days. Contacted on phone early in the week, the Chairman of Innoson Group, Chief Innocent Chukwuma, confirmed that no effort was made by the labour leaders or their representatives to contact his Nnewi plant to build the buses. “There is no type of bus, whether for city shuttles or longer distance transportation, that we cannot build at IVM. And individual transporters and state governments that have purchased our buses are satisfied with their performance. So, why go abroad?

People should read this part and understand that the so called JOB creation the government have been spending Billions on can be done by just investing in this company.

GEJ I know u are trying but please reduce the Importation of buses and cars by 50 % so that people would patronise there indigenous car company.

Think of it GEJ, the money more money this company gets, the faster you would be able to pay those goons you call ur friends.

at the end of the day, it is tax for YOU !!!!
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 9:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
paniki:

Yes in fact there was an article I brought out sometimes this year that the same Bus bought by one of the governors in Nigeria for 5 million or so can be bought from Innoson cars for 2 million this about 60 % savings.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Fhemmmy: 9:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
alj_harem:

People should read this part and understand that the so called JOB creation the government have been spending Billions on can be done by just investing in this company.

GEJ I know u are trying but please reduce the Importation of buses and cars by 50 % so that people would patronise there indigenous car company.

Think of it GEJ, the money more money this company gets, the faster you would be able to pay those goons you call your friends.

at the end of the day, it is tax for YOU !!!!

^^^ Did i hear the word GEJ Trying?
Lol . .  would like to know what he has done
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 9:50pm On Nov 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

^^^ Did i hear the word GEJ Trying?
Lol . .  would like to know what he has done

sad, really sad.

If our leaders are not smart enough to know these things then how do we expect them to even build refineries for us
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Horus(m): 9:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
[img]http://3.bp..com/-zWBlt7WzVi4/TqMIf9dNrII/AAAAAAAAe48/bxWjT3POvEY/s1600/nnewi.jpg[/img]
Innoson 6125 masstransit bus produced in Nigeria
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 9:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
kenis:

Anybody who managed to enter that Innoson Buses will never choose to enter another bus except Innoson. I entered the bus this week in Enugu and was more than happy. The will rate the bus higher than the BRT buses I enter in Lagos. The seats and its arrangement was killing, the AC, the CCRT(sorry 4spelling) and the small monitor tv, was awesome. While small buses were collecting N50 they were collecting N30 with all the comfort. I think the marketing of this product is poor coz I dont see while anybody would not choose this vehicles over those Chinese. I would be glad to see sports car of the Innoson brand. If I have my way I would market these products free of charge.

I can Imagine

It so happens that I have not entered one before but I am sure it can not be worse than toyota and co that are mass produced in factories. In fact from ur description I suspect it would be way better.

What I expect the government to do is

1. Invest in Innson cars and be collecting a certain percentage of the profit apart from taxes
2. Reduce Importation of cars and increase taxes on cars at the port.
3. set up Innoson branches all over the country like Kogi for steel, enugu (I know it is there already and also anambra) for coal used at the steel mine, Ogun ,kaduna, delta and sokoto/kano for employment.

Once this is done, watch as Unemployment will fail to 4 % or so.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Areosapien(f): 10:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
I've seen the cars in their stable, and I have to say, these Innoson guys are really good. It's a pity the Federal Government is so short-sighted as not to know the potentials these guys have. Instead of encouraging home-made products by patronizing them, they foolishly go for foreign products. Let Nigeria keep fooling herself. The rest of the progressive countries in Africa (SA, Botswana, Gabon, Mauritius) are advancing while we're still acting like cavemen.
If we no patronize our products, who else go do am for us? Now wey China be World's number 2, how do they think they got there? Abi dem no sabi say na these little little things great nations dey start from?
Oh well. Issorait.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by EkoIle1: 10:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
paniki:

At this stage of our developmeng, thats irrelevant. Even at higher price tag, we should go ahead and pay in form of subsidies just to enable local folks gain and improve needed capacity to grow,inovate and expand.  Countries all over the world do this all the time to give their own people a fighging chance in the market place.

The morons running the country are not only bastardly clueless, they are too mean spirited and unpatriotic to the the right thing for their own people and country.
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by Biggoozz: 10:07pm On Nov 09, 2011
With what I know about the history of the choice auto companies we have today and how other countries jump at opportunities like this and nurture it, this story drives me crazy. God, what have we done to deserve what we experience in this country? Is this a curse?
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 10:08pm On Nov 09, 2011
Areosapien:

I've seen the cars in their stable, and I have to say, these Innoson guys are really good. It's a pity the Federal Government is so short-sighted as not to know the potentials these guys have. Instead of encouraging home-made products by patronizing them, they foolishly go for foreign products. Let Nigeria keep fooling herself. The rest of the progressive countries in Africa (SA, Botswana, Gabon, Mauritius) are advancing while we're still acting like cavemen.
If we no patronize our products, who else go do am for us? Now wey China be World's number 2, how do they think they got there? Abi dem no sabi say na these little little things great nations dey start from?
Oh well. Issorait.

VERY CORRECT SIR.

the clueless, Fg and State governments even the local ones are a BIG DISGRACE TO NIGERIA.

Big shame on Nigeria. The government needs to set up a regulatory body to watch the health and safety issue concerning the cars.

also I guess Innoson has to put more awareness to the public. I mean advertisements etc in Lagos and other major cities
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by jason123: 10:09pm On Nov 09, 2011
Chei! This is heartbreaking! Imagine that 5 billion in our economy?? Think about the number of Mechanical engineers, Accountants etc this will employ??
sad sad sad
Unleash our potential for Christ sake!!!

Eko Ile:

At this stage of our developmeng, thats irrelevant. Even at higher price tag, we should go ahead and pay in form of subsidies just to enable local folks gain and improve needed capacity to grow,inovate and expand.  Countries all over the world do this all the time to give their own people a fighging chance in the market place.

The morons running the country are not only bastardly clueless, they are too mean spirited and unpatriotic to the the right thing for their own people and country.

@Highlighted
I could not agree more. Innoson guys are really trying!
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by jason123: 10:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
Horus:

[img]http://3.bp..com/-zWBlt7WzVi4/TqMIf9dNrII/AAAAAAAAe48/bxWjT3POvEY/s1600/nnewi.jpg[/img]
Innoson 6125 masstransit bus produced in Nigeria

From the appearance, it looks like the buses we ride in UK.

alj_harem:

VERY CORRECT SIR.

the clueless, Fg and State governments even the local ones are a BIG DISGRACE TO NIGERIA.

Big shame on Nigeria. The government needs to set up a regulatory body to watch the health and safety issue concerning the cars.

also I guess Innoson has to put more awareness to the public. I mean advertisements etc in Lagos and other major cities

I have notice how passionate you are on Innoson issue and employment. Good one sir!
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by igbo2011(m): 10:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
Ghana offered Innoson a great deal. But the CEO is a patriot to Nigeria, unlike these rulers we have sad
Re: FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers by aljharem3: 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Biggoozz:

With what I know about the history of the choice auto companies we have today and how other countries jump at opportunities like this and nurture it, this story drives me crazy. God, what have we done to deserve what we experience in this country? Is this a curse?

isn't it funny how KIA started the same way

even ford in dagenham UK, that is how it started cry cry. I guess I was right that Nigeria is f up

people would not just patronised if there are no conditions to it.

I mean people love what they are used to eg toyota nissan etc

if there is a condition of which the imported cars are reduced by 50% or more and heavlly taxed then they would be forced to patroinised there company

(1) (2) (Reply)

Generate Huge Cash Venturing Into The Production Of Decorative Fibre Ceiling / How To Make Money With WEMA BANK ALAT. 100% Real / Please , Has Anyone Heard Of Jama Life Helpers Global ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.