Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert (10990 Views)

Tinubu Will Watch AFCON Final In Ivory Coast, Says CAF President / AFCON Final: Bafana Bafana Congratulates Super Eagles / AFCON Final: Momment Mohamed Salah Was Asked If He Wants To Be The Referee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Masterstroke4: 3:38pm On Feb 10
AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Medical Expert Cautions Nigerians.

A medical expert was reacting to the phenomenon of people collapsing while enjoying sporting activities and during social gatherings, leading to sudden death.

Professor Ranti Familoni, an expert in Medicine and Cardiology from the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State, has advised Nigerians with “unstable cardiovascular conditions” to stay away from the Sunday African Cup of Nations final between Nigeria and Ivory Coast.

The medical expert was reacting to the phenomenon of people collapsing while enjoying sporting activities and during social gatherings, leading to sudden death.

SaharaReporters few a days ago reported how an All Progressives Congress chieftain, Cairo Ojougboh, a serving National Youth Service Corps member and three others slumped and passed away while watching the Ria vs. South Africa football match on Wednesday.

Speaking in an interview with PUNCH, the medical expert confirmed that these cases of sudden cardiac death, saying it usually occur in people with underlying heart disease, which they may or may not be aware of.

He said, “For many people (when they see someone collapse), their first reaction is to run away. This is wrong. People run away from those who have epileptic attacks, saying the saliva that comes out from the mouth will make others have epilepsy, which is wrong. In running away from them, some have been left to choke from the attack and die. What people call magun during exhausting sexual intercourse might be a sudden cardiac death following exercise. The use of sexual enhancement drugs, particularly in people with underlying heart conditions, should be discouraged.”

On the final AFCON game, he said, “Use your drugs and control your emotions. I have a doctor colleague who stays away from football matches because it is difficult for him to control his emotions. However, the issue is not only for those who already know that they have heart conditions but for the very many who are not aware. Hypertension, for example, is called a silent killer because up to 50 per cent of those who have it are not aware that they have it. There is also a condition called Takotsubo cardiomyopathy in which the individual is unaware but it manifests after a stressful condition, including disappointment and bereavement, and might lead to sudden death.”

When asked who should stay away from Sunday’s match, he said, “Everybody but particularly those with what I call unstable cardiovascular conditions. The match will come and go, but the individual and his life will continue. One good thing that can come out of this unfolding event is for everyone to take time to see their doctor and check their cardiovascular status.

“The first warning is to at the very minimum check your BP. Other things might not be practicable before Sunday. If your heart starts beating too fast or irregularly, it is time to get up and probably seek help.”

3 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by gbaskiboy: 3:44pm On Feb 10
It is very pertinent that those who have High BP should stay away from watching the game even to refresh Livescores for updates should be avoided.

I wish Super Eagle 🦅 of Nigeria a win.

19 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by redsun(m): 3:46pm On Feb 10
Na pollution and the uncertainty in the country dey kill them.

It is very likely that the people who die are chronic gamblers. The fear of losing their hard-earned or borrowed money could lead them to an early grave. Football is about money and gambling. Only a fool will lose his or her life with nothing except the dishonour of a useless country losing a game at stake.

16 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Visocrate(m): 3:48pm On Feb 10
Abeg this is serious o I don’t want to hear 👂 of any bad news of death again o when the tension is becoming too much you guys can just use style and leave the viewing center until your body is back to normal

3 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by hisgrace090: 4:00pm On Feb 10
The danger of shouting it's a goal on empty stomach.
There's hunger in the land, na who belle full they shout it's a goal.
Beware of APC induced hunger to avoid stories that tourches deeply.

14 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by chiagozien(m): 4:01pm On Feb 10
A match Nigeria will lose

Better no watch it if you no get strong mind.
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by matify83: 4:24pm On Feb 10
I am most definitely not watching the match live.

I know what I went through the last time.

Wishing the SE all the best.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Iamanoited: 4:27pm On Feb 10
IT IS GOOD TO DIE FOR NIGERIA. BUT SUCH DEATHS WILL BE CLASSIFIED AS SUICIDE.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by falconey(m): 6:26pm On Feb 10

Anybody wether APC, PDP OR LP, or ordinary Nigerian wey want die........ This is an opportunity in other words by the expert.

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by IVORY2009(m): 6:31pm On Feb 10
They can watch highlights, or replay.

3 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Nazgul: 7:31pm On Feb 10
What I'll advise is that if you're above 40 just stay away from that game.

Most Nigerians have undiagnosed medical conditions they're not aware of. So the best would be to avoid the game completely in order to avoid stories that touch.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Victimoftribali: 7:32pm On Feb 10
No be una go tell us wetin we go do
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by FarmPlanetNG: 7:32pm On Feb 10
Wrong. Most hypertensive persons do not know they are hypertensive to begin with

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Liammm: 7:32pm On Feb 10
Someone said Tinubu avoided traveling to Abidjan so he won't get HPB grin. I laughed so hard grin

1 Like

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by bigdammyj: 7:32pm On Feb 10
Noted.
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by yesloaded: 7:33pm On Feb 10
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Owain: 7:33pm On Feb 10
Na only me know wetin do me during the final between Argentina and France. I didn't need an expert to tell me anything. Na me know how I been dey feel. Mbappe nearly kill me!! I comot from viewing centre go sleep walahi. My leg dey shake as I dey waka. Na until I see for LiveScore say France don miss 2 penalties during shootout, naim I go back to complete the game. Omoh!!

9 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by inoki247: 7:33pm On Feb 10
Lol warn hospital showing the match to dere Patients they need it more...
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by ekanx27(m): 7:33pm On Feb 10
If you are a Nigerian, there is 80% chance that you already have a critical cardiovascular condition.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by chriskosherbal(m): 7:33pm On Feb 10
Kindly yield to this advice as life nu get duplicate ooo
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Akpuobi1: 7:33pm On Feb 10

TELL DEM!

I just dey look our presido wey say e wan go watch de match live

wink wink wink
wink wink wink
wink wink wink
wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:33pm On Feb 10
Wahala oooo dey oo.

Indeed, AFCON is the only thing that gives Nigeria succour from Bulaba and his wicked leadership. Nigerians have never taken Super Eagles to heart like now since 94 Glorious set.

People are dying because it's like a source of hope cut off

5 Likes

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by segzysexy(m): 7:34pm On Feb 10
My instinct tells me that the casualties won’t be as much as that from the South Africa vs Nigeria match. The social media backlash from South Africans and Nigerians really influenced it. Even as a Manchester United fan who is used to defeat from ordinary small clubs sef had cold feet while watching that last match. I just pray we become glorious tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Seunpapa65: 7:36pm On Feb 10
Na mumu dey die on top Nigeria matter

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Blackestjunior(m): 7:36pm On Feb 10
Bleep

grin grin
This Nigeria team no go kill person
Deep down we Know we are not that good but as long you are getting result in football it doesn't matter just get the results.
We just dey rough am.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by motionarena: 7:38pm On Feb 10
Nawa
My love for naija never reach that level
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by Larryndelaw: 7:40pm On Feb 10
They will just Wake up and create stupid Topics. Nonsense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:40pm On Feb 10
The stress of the Nigerian economy is causing this needless tragedies. If we won and eventually people die due to high BP, our win can still be recorded as a loss because of lives of supporters of the winning team lost recorded at the end of the game.
Some can say South Africa also won given the record of Nigerian casualties noted after the match. If we had lost against them the figures could be higher
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by spencekat(m): 7:42pm On Feb 10
Owain:
Na only me know wetin do me during the final between Argentina and France. I didn't need an expert to tell me anything. Na me know how I been dey feel. Mbappe nearly kill me!! I comot from viewing centre go sleep walahi. My leg dey shake as I dey waka. Na until I see for LiveScore say France don miss 2 penalties during shootout, naim I go back to complete the game. Omoh!!
You be bet?
Re: Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert by spencekat(m): 7:43pm On Feb 10
ekanx27:
If you are a Nigerian, there is 80% chance that you already have a critical cardiovascular condition.
Na lie

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Print Your Bet9ja Pool Codes Here For Free! / Top 5 Draw Football Matches For Today / Mohammed Buhari Congratulates Nigeria Woman Basketball Team Over Their Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.