Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS (11976 Views)

Tinubu: I Never Said I Spent N35 Billion On Buhari’s Elections / Buhari Ungrateful After I Spent N35 Billion To Make Him President - Tinubu / Buhari Ungrateful After I Spent N35 Billion To Make Him President- Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by naptu2: 4:32am On Feb 11
Tax dispute: MultiChoice agrees to pay N35bn to FIRS

MultiChoice Group has agreed to pay N35.4 billion as part of its tax obligations to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).

Multichoice owns the satellite television services, DStv and GOtv — popular subscription-based platforms in Nigeria.

In a statement to shareholders on Thursday, the firm said the payment is to offset against “security deposits”.

“Shareholders are advised that MultiChoice has reached a settlement with the FIRS in Nigeria in relation to the tax assessments raised in April 2021 on MultiChoice Nigeria (MCN) and in June 2021 on MultiChoice Africa Holdings BV (MAH),” the company said.

“The parties (FIRS, MCN and MAH) concluded a ‘without prejudice or precedent’ agreement in full and final settlement of all matters in dispute. In terms of the agreement, MCN and MAH shall pay a total tax amount of NGN35.4bn (~US$37.3m), to be offset against the security deposits and good faith payments made to date.”

In 2021, FIRS issued notices of assessment and demand notices in the sum of N1.82 trillion as tax bills.

The agency appointed some commercial banks as agents to recover the amount.

However, MultiChoice disputed the assessments and approached the tax appeal tribunal (TAT), which led to a series of cases at both the TAT and the federal high court.

Multichoice further instituted a court action on August 25, 2021, challenging the assessment of FIRS over unpaid value-added tax (VAT) amounting to $342 million.

Seven months after the challenge, FIRS and MultiChoice Nigeria agreed to an amicable resolution over pending tax disputes.

As part of the agreements, MultiChoice was to withdraw all pending lawsuits, while FIRS was to conduct a forensic system of the company’s accounts.

https://www.thecable.ng/tax-dispute-multichoice-agrees-to-pay-n35bn-to-firs/amp

7 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by malali: 4:57am On Feb 11
Pay up.

16 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by duduade: 5:31am On Feb 11
Them no wan pay tax
But when it's time to increase prices of bouquets, e no dey hard them

They can collect but can not give

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by brain54(m): 5:56am On Feb 11
35 billion...

These people are making money from Nigeria Sha.

Money they repatriate to their country.

I doubt they make that much money In South Africa. Or any other country for that matter. (I will check for data on this) And the thing is they are always complaining of how difficult it is to do business in Nigeria. Hiking prices at the slightest opportunity.

It's a shame Nigeria do not have an indigenous cable TV provider.

Nigerian business men... Are you sleeping?

77 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Debater(m): 6:00am On Feb 11
The only 3 things wey I go talk be say:

1. Omo ₦35B no be small money chai
2. Make una dey patronise Nigerian companies
3. DsTV dey mad, dem just dey increase money anyhow
Happy Sunday

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by NzogbuNzogbu: 6:01am On Feb 11
Dem just dey pour money for drum when no dey full

If tinubu no see anything do with subsidy money, this one no reach am spend on frivolities

6 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by EdiskyHarry: 6:01am On Feb 11
Pay make them share ham

2 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by 4tomandchi: 6:01am On Feb 11
Where is NBC why didn’t they seal or suspend DSTV for evading tax??

Answer is simple because they all watch DSTV for free

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Wisedove(m): 6:04am On Feb 11
Debater:
The only 3 things wey I go talk be say:

1. Omo ₦35B no be small money chai
2. Make una dey patronise Nigerian companies
3. DsTV dey mad, dem just dey increase money anyhow
Happy Sunday

Which one are we having in Nigeria?
I ditched DsTV and Gotv to buy TSTV. guess what, TSTV don leave me comot just the way i leave multichoice

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Vinnie2000(m): 6:05am On Feb 11
Multi-Choice are Trying honestly.

The Economy of this Bulaba govt is NOT friendly to both small and Large scale businesses. sad

But why did They go off air in that Super Eagles vs South Africa match,
when Their Player was about to Play his Penalty

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by sonofthunder: 6:05am On Feb 11
naptu2:

If they feel hard done, the masses/customers will still bear most of it.

2 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by computerglobal(m): 6:06am On Feb 11
Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by FinidiGeorge: 6:06am On Feb 11
duduade:
Them no wan pay tax
But when it's time to increase prices of bouquets, e no dey hard them

They can collect but can not give
Shey they will still not increase it as payback for this 35 billion as I dey see am so?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by bobonla: 6:08am On Feb 11
If everyone stop watching dstv as Reno-oldmonkey talk. How will they pay tax?

3 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by stunnert(m): 6:10am On Feb 11
I hate it when I see foreign companies trying to avert paying tax here, something they can't try in their country. These fvckers just think anything goes in Nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Thelannister: 6:11am On Feb 11
No wonder they milking us dry can you all see how the government is taxing these people heavily?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by tragergeorge(m): 6:12am On Feb 11
Vinnie2000:

Multi-Choice are Trying honestly.

The Economy of this Bulaba govt is NOT friendly to both small and Large scale businesses. sad

But why did They go off air in that Super Eagles vs South Africa match,
when Their Player was about to Play his Penalty
lol
They saw they missed already Na
E pain them

4 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:12am On Feb 11
If they don't increase the prices of the package their company especially the Nigerian branch will just collapse yakata

Blame devaluation of naira

2 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by dfrost: 6:20am On Feb 11
Why most Nigerian companies love to evade taxes still baffles me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by JasonNOTStatham: 6:22am On Feb 11
I wonder what they make do with all these taxes

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by zionstaar75: 6:24am On Feb 11
NzogbuNzogbu:
Dem just dey pour money for drum when no dey full

If tinubu no see anything do with subsidy money, this one no reach am spend on frivolities
biafran go to your country

4 Likes

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by phineas: 6:32am On Feb 11
A foreign company evaded tax successfully in Nigeria, wao...

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by tunwumi: 6:34am On Feb 11
Ok
Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by lendahand(m): 6:44am On Feb 11
Ok

Lmao, it's me and you subscribing to watch afcon, champions League, premier League, starlife, etc that will still offset that 35B last last just watch out. Within 2 years multichoice has hiked subscription price more than 3 times both for first time subscribers and recurrent users.
brain54:
35 billion...

These people are making money from Nigeria Sha.

Money they repatriate to their country.

I doubt they make that much money In South Africa. Or any other country for that matter. (I will check for data on this) And the thing is they are always complaining of how difficult it is to do business in Nigeria. Hiking prices at the slightest opportunity.

It's a shame Nigeria do not have an indigenous cable TV provider.

Nigerian business men... Are you sleeping?
@bolded, they don't oo. Over there in the south you choose your bouquet and pause your subscription in any eventuality of travel or otherwise. Nigeria is a very fertile dumping site. When I was in Durban some years ago, these South Africans were talking down at Nigerians as if we are senseless. They see Nigerians as their own business colony and it's true maybe that's why they also boasted that they will beat us at the afcon since they see us as their wife. Remove all South African businesses from Nigeria and see them crawl to beg us. This bouquet should be made available to us in a way that you can be able to pause your subscription in any eventuality and you're also able to choose your bouquet and not the other way around as it is at the moment

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Probity100: 6:44am On Feb 11
It is still peanut compared to what they get monthly from subscriptions.
For example if 1,000,000 subscribers from offices and companies pay 25k for subscriptions that's 25B naira...
Let's take a kook at household's for the smallest subscriptions of 2,500....say about 10m homes in Nigeria that's another 25B naira...minimum.

They will be making up to 100B naira monthly.......

naptu2:

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by H2ho(m): 6:56am On Feb 11
Probity100:
It is still peanut compared to what they get monthly from subscriptions.
For example if 1,000,000 subscribers from offices and companies pay 25k for subscriptions that's 25B naira...
Let's take a kook at household's for the smallest subscriptions of 2,500....say about 10m homes in Nigeria that's another 25B naira...minimum.

They will be making up to 100B naira monthly.......

You’re right.

They will soon increase the price again & nothing will happen😕

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by djoe21(m): 7:01am On Feb 11
I hope they do not move the incidence of this tax payment on the poor masses by increasing their subscription because they have been increasing prices constantly of late.

At the end of the day, it is the poor masses that bear the burden especially as Multichoice has no adequate competition in Nigeria.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by BigBlackPreek(m): 7:07am On Feb 11
Money wey them go loot finish, na today?
Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Yankee101: 7:08am On Feb 11
It’s only 37m dollars
They’re conflating the figures by inflating it to the present devalued naira

It’s money owed since naira was stronger

1 Like

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by Jen002: 7:12am On Feb 11
That's a lot of money tho

1 Like

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by 234GT(m): 7:12am On Feb 11
To be stolen by our politicians again...no difference..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Dispute: Multichoice Agrees To Pay N35 Billion To FIRS by PinkNature: 7:17am On Feb 11
Jen002:
That's a lot of money tho

Do you know how much they make in a month?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja Wasn't Designed For The Common-Man - Bala-Mohammed / Oshiomhole Threatens To Withdraw Bedc’s C Of O In Edo / Enugu Elections Exceptional, One Of The Best In Country, Says INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.