Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,921 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards (44288 Views)

South Africa Vs DR Congo: AFCON2023 3rd Place Play-off (6 - 5)pen On 10 Feb 2024 / Fifa Best Player Awards : Is There A Conspiracy Against Dutch Players? / Kylian Mbappe, Harry Kane, Luka Modric, Thibaut Courtois Win FIFA Player Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by sonssyo: 8:35am On Feb 12
LagosG:

Iwobi is part of the reason we lost this final. No urgency, slow as Bleep, can't mark, can't pass, I don't understand how he started every game.

None of them played for those who died. So sad.

The coach would have removed him instead,thank God I didn't waste my time watching those guys
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by ericmor: 8:38am On Feb 12
sammytovic:
You are observing nonsence.Onyeka had
the best work rate for nigeria, you see him everywhere. Ola Aina position was the culprit and loophole for ivorians to penetrate our box 18 often and often.

And your coach couldn't call for support. The coach was clueless and started the game wrongly. They did that to aina to keep him at the back because they know saidu is poor in attack and chukwueze was not pressing and assisting at the back wing. The coach left the ivorian to play comfortably just the way they wanted
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Morphinne: 8:45am On Feb 12
CoolAmbience:

So you can't remember his goalkeeping heroics against Cape Verde and DRC?

Let stop being like this, please. There is so much mediocrity being celebrated these days.

That's how I keep telling people how Osimhen isn't a good player but they won't listen.

The South African team was way better than the Super Eagles.

You are very wrong here about Osimhen. You don’t blame a striker who’s not fed enough by his wingers and midfielders. The Nigerian team lacked cohesion and communication. Just imagine Osimhen was the one getting those long balls played by South African midfielder and wingers to their strikers. A striker is nothing without midfielders feeding him the ball.
Iwobi and Zaidu should be given life ban from football. Zaidu even tried a bit. At least, his deflected shot led to the corner kick that produced our first goal. Iwobi on the other hand was just running around like a headless chicken, zero sense of attack and space. Too lazy to charge at players.
Also the coach is to blame. Dude kept starting Iwobi like the latter had his nudes. He started playing the already out-of-fashion Mourinho tactic. Parking the bus at 60th minute was antifootball. In all, the better team won. Though they were openly the referee’s favorites but they played better football.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:53am On Feb 12
ericmor:

Nwabili conceded 4 goals and not 3
Exactly. Yet they are saying he deserves the award.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by CoolAmbience(m): 8:53am On Feb 12
Morphinne:

You are very wrong here about Osimhen. You don’t blame a striker who’s not fed enough by his wingers and midfielders. The Nigerian team lacked cohesion and communication. Just imagine Osimhen was the one getting those long balls played by South African midfielder and wingers to their strikers. A striker is nothing without midfielders feeding him the ball.
Iwobi and Zaidu should be given life ban from football. Zaidu even tried a bit. At least, his deflected shot led to the corner kick that produced our first goal. Iwobi on the other hand was just running around like a headless chicken, zero sense of attack and space. Too lazy to charge at players.
Also the coach is to blame. Dude kept starting Iwobi like the latter had his nudes. He started playing the already out-of-fashion Mourinho tactic. Parking the bus at 60th minute was antifootball. In all, the better team won. Though they were openly the referee’s favorites but they played better football.

Very diligent and intelligent comments.

I agree with you alot, but still insist on Osimhen's lack of quality. He was meant to adjust his play to fit the style. He could have dropped back more to play with team. Doing so, he could have made more impact. No doubt, we had a terrible coach.

I really didn't find anything on the referee, though.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by betshopagent(m): 8:59am On Feb 12
Oghene86:

Nwabali got a yellow card, his unruly behavior also led to us conceeding those goals.
Simple question but see as you fail. You know nothing about football. Na this kind answer dey make some lecturers award some people 0 with laughing emoji.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Stegano: 9:00am On Feb 12
LifeofDream:
I need to know the criteria Williams use edge Nwabali... sad
Let me give you full stats:
Matches wherein Nigeria conceded:
1. Nigeria v Equatorial Guinea : 1 - 1
2. Nigeria v South Africa : 1 - 1
3. Nigeria v Ivory Coast : 1 - 2

Total goals conceded = 4

Matches wherein South Africa conceded:
1. S.A. v Mali : 0 - 2
2. S.A. v Nigeria : 1 - 1
Total goals conceded = 3

Number of penalties saved by each goalie:

Nwabali: One match - Nigeria v S.A. = 2 Penalties saved
Total penalties saved: 2

Williams: Three matches: 1. S.A. v Cape Verde = 4 Penalties saved
2. S.A. v Nigeria = 0 Penalty saved
3. S.A. v DRC = 2 Penalties saved
Total penalties saved: 6

Now therefore Williams had less goals conceded (3), while Nwabali conceded more goals (4). Furthermore, Williams saved more penalties (6) while Nwabali only saved 2. Other factors include the crucial saves made during open play.

THAT IS THE CRITERIA USED.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Oghene86: 9:03am On Feb 12
betshopagent:
Simple question but see as you fail. You know nothing about football. Na this kind answer dey make some lecturers award some people 0 with laughing emoji.

What do you know, you are just being emotional, and that's the problem with Nigeria, that is my opinion share your own and get off my comments
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by lhurd: 9:10am On Feb 12
Amotolongbo:
He deserves it.

Worst player should go to Iwobi
Asin, Iwobi was horrible in this tournament
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Ken4Christ: 9:13am On Feb 12
Amotolongbo:
He deserves it.

And the worst coach is our coach.

How dare he reduce the Super Eagles to a team that cannot put ball on the ground and play.

They keep playing the long passes upfront and made Osimhen to exhaust himself.

Any coach that comes to coach the Super Eagles should please watch USA 94 & 98. team.

The NFF should stop the politics of imposing players on the couch.

It's a shame that a nation of over 200 million people cannot assembly 11 good players to represent us.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by ceejay80s(m): 9:17am On Feb 12
chiagozien:
Before the match when I Said Nigeria to lose by 2:1,and will be first to score.

They rushed and wanted to kee me
Are u dead now
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Donedeal1(m): 9:20am On Feb 12
So even Emilio--- follow play

Congratulations to our dear emiliokan.

More grace.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by arantess: 9:21am On Feb 12
Ibst:
It's so painful Nwabali and others that really worked with heart didn't get crowned.
Such is life
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by onatisi(m): 9:22am On Feb 12
SoNature:
That last game between Ivory Coast and Nigeria was as though secondary school players from Nigeria were playing against Manchester City.

From the beginning of the match to the end, Ivory Coast held possession and pressured Nigeria. Immediately they scored the first goal, I knew they would win.

Congratulations to them! A better team won! The victory was well deserved! 💪💪💪
Actually I will disagree with this point , the ivorians were not better , it was just that our boys felt too confident and underestimated the zeal ,passion and determination of the ivorians team. I think it was the case of who wanted to win , the ivorians were determined and didn't play around ,they, kept their head and were very very serious ,whereas our boys were making mistakes believing that they will win no matter what .
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by DECLAN2015(m): 9:30am On Feb 12
SoNature:
That last game between Ivory Coast and Nigeria was as though secondary school players from Nigeria were playing against Manchester City.

From the beginning of the match to the end, Ivory Coast held possession and pressured Nigeria. Immediately they scored the first goal, I knew they would win.

Congratulations to them! A better team won! The victory was well deserved! 💪💪💪

Exactly
No bias .we don't deserve that cup by miles
Cos we did nothing in that final
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by tuzle(m): 9:37am On Feb 12
I said something on a post here on Saturday that beating Cote D'Ivoire during the group stage was a disadvantage to us because they won't make the same mistake they did during the group stage again. If they had played equatorial guinea that beat them 4-0 they would have beaten guinea this time. Another thing is they had the support of their fans. Everywhere in the stadium was just orange. But the most obvious reason why we lost was because we didn't play well. Our midfield was non existent. We where finding it hard moving the ball from defense to attack. Same thing happened during the south Africa game and we were so solid in defense that was why we won that game but yesterday the defense was leaky.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by iamtardey: 9:41am On Feb 12
Nigeria 🇳🇬 try… weldone to them.

We go win another day.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by betshopagent(m): 9:44am On Feb 12
Oghene86:

What do you know, you are just being emotional, and that's the problem with Nigeria, that is my opinion share your own and get off my comments
then you shouldn't have comment this rubbish on someone's comment.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by betshopagent(m): 9:46am On Feb 12
Natbrowny:

Clean sheets and fewer goals conceded
simple and perfect answer not the rubbish from Oghene
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Pio44: 9:47am On Feb 12
Agbado rats already packaged how to add AFCON win to their achievements. Useless people.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by woleabayo(f): 9:50am On Feb 12
Ekong really tried, Iwobi is the worst player of the compentition grin grin grin
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by femi4: 10:01am On Feb 12
Amotolongbo:
He deserves it.

grin
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Oghene86: 10:05am On Feb 12
betshopagent:
then you shouldn't have comment this rubbish on someone's comment.

Was it your comments? Why do you think yours is not rubbish. Who made you the judge, don't know why you guys can't respect other people's comments, children from bad homes, because you lack proper up bringing, I can imagine the kind of parents that raised you, mind your business and stay on your lane if you can't be civil when you comments on issues
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by middlebelter(m): 10:53am On Feb 12
Our mid-field killed us, the followed by a defence error. Perhaps Nwabali should have moved out to intercept the ball before it got to the scorer of last goal.
Mid-field it was that nailed us, we played defensive game all through and Oshimem was rendered useless because he didn't get good ball passed.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by JayyXXX(m): 10:56am On Feb 12
cheesy

Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by FireUpNow(m): 10:59am On Feb 12
Amotolongbo:
He deserves it.

Iwobi is a very useless and slow player. I don't know how he got into the national team.
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by GALAXY11(m): 11:10am On Feb 12
CoolAmbience:

So you can't remember his goalkeeping heroics against Cape Verde and DRC?

Let stop being like this, please. There is so much mediocrity being celebrated these days.

That's how I keep telling people how Osimhen isn't a good player but they won't listen.

The South African team was way better than the Super Eagles.

u deserve of a chilled bottle of Budweiser

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by profmallor: 11:12am On Feb 12
I looked at the closing ceremony and sincerely saw why only a country like Cameroon or the old Egypt would have won that final. Nigeria played against the world in that final, no matter how well we played or didnt they were not going to allow us to carry that trophy.

Natbrowny:
Abeg

When caf n fifa wan carry out random test esp on kessie, fofana and dat young guy with the 2 assist.

No way in hell dat guy played 90mins with same strength n agility

HYPOCRISY go kill CAF AND FIFA
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by betshopagent(m): 11:20am On Feb 12
Oghene86:

Was it your comments? Why do you think yours is not rubbish. Who made you the judge, don't know why you guys can't respect other people's comments, children from bad homes, because you lack proper up bringing, I can imagine the kind of parents that raised you, mind your business and stay on your lane if you can't be civil when you comments on issues
Proud Olodo
Re: AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards by Oghene86: 11:27am On Feb 12
betshopagent:
Proud Olodo

Go rest bad manner pikin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Lesotho AFCON Qualifier: What Went Down At Teslim Balogun Stadium / "Olga Allegra's Easter Post Is Disrespectful" - Nigerian Man / Man City Signs Kayode Olarenwaju On 4-Year Deal (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.