Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,183 members, 7,811,463 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards (36685 Views)

AFCON 2023: Nike Unveils Super Eagles Eagles Jersey / AFCON 2023 'NEPA' Messes Up Nigeria's Schedule As Super Eagles Train In Darkness / Nigeria Vs Sao Tomé And Príncipe: AFCON 2023 Qualifier (10- 0) On 13th June 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by buharibanjo(m): 3:10am On Feb 12
The 2023 CAF African Cup of Nations ended on Sunday night on a disappointing note for Nigeria’s Super Eagles as they lost the trophy to the host nation, Ivory Coast.

The Ivorians won 2-1 against Nigeria, courtesy of goals from Franck Kessie and Sebastien Haller who helped The Elephants clinch their third AFCON trophy.

Below is the full list of awards given at the AFCON:

Ecobank Best Goalkeeper
Ronwen Williams – South Africa

Air Côte d’Ivoire Fair Play Team award
South Africa

Puma Golden Boot winner
Emilio Nsue – Equatorial Guinea (5 goals)

Puma Silver Boot winner
Gelson Dala – Angola (4 goals)

Puma Bronze boot winner
Mostafa Mohamed – Egypt (4 goals)

TotalEnergies Man of the competition
William Troost-Ekong – Nigeria

Best Young Player award
Simon Adingra – Ivory Coast

Best Coach award
Emerse Faé – Ivory Coast

Source: https://punchng.com/full-list-afcon-2023-awards/?amp

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Melonsmasher: 3:31am On Feb 12
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Quest7777: 3:37am On Feb 12
Worst Player Award nko. grin

None of our players was really outstanding except for Ekong 👍

&perhaps Osimhen who had a hand in several of our goals, even though he performed below expectations

&perhaps Nwabali who helped us dodge a bullet (Uzoho)

The rest were just mediocre.

58 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Tokskob2008: 6:09am On Feb 12
Aside Ekong and one or two more players individually our guys played crap but as a team I think they surprised everyone because no one thought they would make it past the second round..

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Nbote(m): 7:00am On Feb 12
We allowed patriotism to becloud our judgement. We've been playing poorly all tournament despite playing mediocre teams. Imagine a defensive set up against teams like Equatorial Guinea, Guinea Bissau and even Angola. Just thump the ball up to Osimhen and hope he wins the duel

28 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Akwamkpuruamu: 12:07pm On Feb 12
Ekong you try

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by akanbiaa(m): 12:07pm On Feb 12
Good Ekong deserves the award indeed.
Asides the officiating biases, errors from Aina, Iwobi's consistent mediocre performance in the tournament, Osimhen being Isolated upfront and the defensive approach to the finals with no creative midfield presence to create moments of brilliance and shoot outside 18 box yard to test keeper by Nigeria , Ivory Coast played well and deserved their win and their 3rd AFCON title to equal Nigeria's 3. Nigeria now have the motivation to deny South Africa from qualifying for World Cup in their next World cup qualifier game if they learn from their errors. Remember to save my whatsapp zero seven zero three seven seven zero two seven zero eight and say hi for me to save your contact to activate viewing so you can get motivational and positive moral contents from The Moral Teacher and follow and subscribe to themoralteacher on YouTube.

10 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Chinaza06: 12:07pm On Feb 12
Great
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by nairalanda1(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12
Quest7777:

&perhaps Osimhen who had a hand in several of our goals, even though he performed below expectations

But they got to the final
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Watianoengineer(m): 12:09pm On Feb 12
sad so na this yeye Osimhen Wan go madrid/arsenal and Co? A so called African best without impact. He better remain in Naples and be scoring his Tap Ins. Whether we like it or not Osimhen is not a world class striker. I don't see the reason for the Osimhen hype. Very average. Even Yak and Julius Aghahowa that never won CAF best were more prolific in front of goal. See that Sebastian haller has been a beast since his Ajax days. He was diagnosed with cancer, recovered, started two games for ivory coast and scored both winning goals. That is the job of a sensible striker. We keep consoling ourselves with Osimhen dey disturb defenders, he sabi put pressure but when he was needed most he was no where to be found. If Osimhen had the balls to play all our penalties rather than Ekong it would add to his tally. Such an unreliable No 9. Iwobi and that chukwueze should never be invited again. Very mediocre set of fools

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Bar1941(m): 12:09pm On Feb 12
Nwobi is a lazy midfielder, though all our players were lazy yesterday except Ekong and the keeper.

The coach got the tactics totally wrong yesterday. Anyway, Ivory Coast qualification as last of best loosers was divine. Since they beat Senegal, I knew they were wounder lions.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Holluwhakemmy(f): 12:09pm On Feb 12
Ronwen Williams congratulations the guy really performed well
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by EmmaLege: 12:09pm On Feb 12
cool
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by youngberry001(m): 12:11pm On Feb 12
the worst and lazy midfielder should go to Alex iwobi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by tobillionaire(m): 12:12pm On Feb 12
Just sack peseiro let's patronise Nigeria made just as I'll advocate we buy made in Nigeria chairs and tables fr your event centres, business centres, church, schools, homes etc from Eleganza. Contact us on 08180199999, the name is your guaranty

1 Like

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by boxypane(m): 12:12pm On Feb 12
Better outing next time. We didn't play like we deserved it yesterday. I expected the coach to pair someone else with Aina. Adingra was all over him, and because of Iwobi, the formation should have been 4-5-1 after we took the lead yesterday. But all the same, good first time out for our coach.

2 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Hambivert: 12:13pm On Feb 12
I celebrated when Nigeria scored first, I am a Nigerian after all, but I asked myself what is the point of winning?
Nigeria suffers compounding inflation, different forms of insecurity, corruption and many more scathing vices and all we craved for was a temporary succour that the win would have brought.

I understand we should separate politics from football, but our economy shouldn't be referred to as politics. It is every aspect of what makes us live and survive. Not politics.

I rejoice in our defeat, because probably, the sprogative veil of illusion a victory would have brought, have been lifted, and maybe, probably, we wouldn't be distracted by the frivolities a win would have compounded on us. Now, I believe our sufferings would continue to glare upon us without distractions.

Hopefully, we'd wake up from our sleep and realize that without us the government cannot mess with our economy wrongly. The sad truth is ...Nigerians are easily distracted.

5 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Fatbam005: 12:14pm On Feb 12
Enough is enough
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Tareq1105: 12:14pm On Feb 12
Tokskob2008:
Aside Ekong and one or two more players individually our guys played crap but as a team I think they surprised everyone because no one thought they would make it past the second round..

That's our consolation bcoz we never expected them to get to final if not I would have sent some harsh words to Osimeh, Chukweze, Aina, and Nwobi. They ruined the game.
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Seagodess(f): 12:15pm On Feb 12
Make all of una shut up.. Chelsea won the champions league 2012.. with this same tactics.. every team that year played them hands down but they were destined to win it and they won.. morroco, south Africa played good possessive football but couldn't make it to the finals... cotedivoire was destined to win this tournament..way forward.. let the coach continue... let him scout for Good midfielders..we have a good attack if you ask me.. bye..see u next afcon

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by ucnwafor(m): 12:15pm On Feb 12
Sentiment aside, diz naija is in serious bondage, lets assume if we can host any sports event, and terrorism and banditry will kidnap all the guest for a ransom

1 Like

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Kilometres: 12:16pm On Feb 12
Tokskob2008:

Onyeka did exceptionally well

6 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by OgaTheTop2: 12:17pm On Feb 12
smiley
Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Kilometres: 12:17pm On Feb 12
We missed Wilfred Ndidi

8 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by Judolisco(m): 12:18pm On Feb 12
Quest7777:

they weren't... . The coach played a defensive line up... More like counter attacking football... Dats why u see only osimhen in d front.... He wanted to change it wen he brought in iheanacho... But it was 2 late... Only iwobi didn't play well to me, he was slow in making decisions..... Sanusi tried defensively but he lacks crossing abilities.... D boys tried....

3 Likes

Re: Full List: Afcon 2023 Awards by fergieboy: 12:19pm On Feb 12
But how Osimen go come this tournament and not show his value as a striker and African best ? His performance in this tournament might cost him big deals wey been dey table. Clubs no go take am too seriously again…

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho Faces Two Years In Prison Over Legal Row / Nigeria Vs Croatia; 3 Types Of People After The Match / Ahmed Musa Arrested For Beating His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.