Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo (15780 Views)

Our Tactics Made Life Difficult For South Africa, Says Nigeria Coach Rohr / Chelsea FC Reacts To Omeruo's Performance / Kenneth Omeruo And Chioma Nnamani's Pre-Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Timoleon(m): 12:18pm On Feb 13
Minatouchiha:
Which deep? Abi ma another ball dis wan de talk of? U guys were defending upandan.

That's what deep means in football. To play defense.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:23pm On Feb 13
achimendy:

The performance they put up in that final was trash, except you just started watching football yesterday.
Agreed they did not perform well in the final. Reason been they sat deep in the defense. But they deserve commendation from those who can't play but can mock others that are better than them. You guys said this team can't go far in this competition. Yet they braced themselves up and got to the final against all odds. After losing in the final you all started condemning them and cyberbullying them. That's not good.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Laurene: 12:31pm On Feb 13
gigabyte13:

So what is the explanation for the defeat they suffer in the hands of the Guinea with that wide margin 4good goals with their WORLD CLASS PLAYERS AGAINST CLASSLESS GUINEA.

Kessie plays in the Saudi league now, l guess
He couldn't hold a starter shirt at AC Milan and Barcelona.
Pepe couldn't even keep an arsenal shirt
Haller and lukman are not mate when it comes to goal scoring going by current form.
Haller was the reason Dortmund loss the bundesliga last season against mainz.
Aurer is past his prime. He couldn't hold a starter shirt at PSG and Tottenham

The NIGERIAN side was just not tactically there on the final.
There is/was nothing special in the ivorien
Absolutely, nothing special.
Defeats do occur in matches... Varieties of conditions could have made them lose 4 nil to Equatorial Guinea.

Seriously? Haller had testicular cancer and he beat it... I think that contributed to some of his below par performances. Dude was fire in Ajax.
Haller is better than Lookman; his control, mentality and finishing from critical positions... No argument.

And who told you Equatorial Guinea is classless? Most of their goals were scored by Emilio Nsue, who's a top flight player. They were one of the best teams in the tournament. Some of their players still play for Top European teams so don't label them as classless.

Stop guessing, players mostly went to the Saudi league for the bag... Check Neymar and Mane. Those players are doing exceptionally well. Anytime they return to Europe they'll bench lots of players still.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Monique60: 12:35pm On Feb 13
That's true! Which is why I blame Mali and Congo cos if they had done the job well, there wouldn't be Ivory coast, it would have been a sweet sailing for us which I believe
Quest7777:
Abeg forget tactics. You guys tried but Ivory Coast was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group.

We played against 12men in that Final.
I strongly believe we would have won any other country aside Ivory Coast in that Final.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Timoleon(m): 12:41pm On Feb 13
Laurene:
Defeats do occur in matches... Varieties of conditions could have made them lose 4 nil to Equatorial Guinea.

Seriously? Haller had testicular cancer and he beat it... I think that contributed to some of his below par performances. Dude was fire in Ajax.
Haller is better than Lookman; his control, mentality and finishing from critical positions... No argument.

And who told you Equatorial Guinea is classless? Most of their goals were scored by Emilio Nsue, who's a top flight player. They were one of the best teams in the tournament. Some of their players still play for Top European teams so don't label them as classless.

Stop guessing, players mostly went to the Saudi league for the bag... Check Neymar and Mane. Those players are doing exceptionally well. Anytime they return to Europe they'll bench lots of players still.
Haller did not play in the group stage. In the two matches he started, he scored. The semifinals and the finals. Osimehn started every match and has fewer goals than Haller
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by CyberWolf: 12:48pm On Feb 13
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Yea I concur

We are almost saying the same thing

Though your submission/analysis is far more accurate and precise than mine. Our lone striker was severely isolated.
Exactly! In simple terms, they played an attacking formation 4-3-3 while played a defensive formation 3-4-2-1. By the time the coach switch to 4-3-3 formation after they scored the second goal, it was already too late. We have a very formidable defence and a good keep, reason why it ended 2-1 with all a the pressure. In summary, the coach simply failed.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by maestroferddi: 1:00pm On Feb 13
comodo:

Calm your emotions. He was only feeding on crumbs. So pls cut him some slack. Conceding that MF to CIV was our undoing. Our game plan was dissected by SA and we were lucky to have escaped. And he deployed the same formation in the finals. Who does that. Even didn't switch tactics immediately we got the goal. Putting the whole team under pressure.
Oga, quit typifying Nigeria...Branding people what you represent in a futile bid to deflect attention and scrutiny...

Osimhen was a flop in the tournament and his tepid performances cost Nigeria the title.

I was saying it before the finals, that a discerning and competent coach should not start Osimhen in the finals but bring him in the last 30 mins since he appears incapable of being effective beyond the hour mark.

Which striker in world football abdicates their core responsibility and instead 'work hard'?

Every defender starting from those of Guinea Bissau were bullying him...As far as I am concerned, Nigeria were playing like they were a man down...
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by maestroferddi: 1:03pm On Feb 13
Timoleon:

Haller did not play in the group stage. In the two matches he started, he scored. The semifinals and the finals. Osimehn started every match and has fewer goals than Haller
Let them keep trying to explain away incompetence...

That is how Nigeria rolls...After Tinubu, a worse person will take over and you should be rest assured that they would be millions defending failure...

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by gigabyte13: 1:05pm On Feb 13
Laurene:

Emilio Incase you are not aware is a natural right back, he is a defender for his club.
You can Google that.
He was just a make shift striker in this tournament.
A defender scoring an hat trick against a world class team, isn't that funny enough.

I insist there is nothing classy about the ivorien s.
If it were Didier Drogbas set of ivory coast, then you can talk about world class. But this very one na na na.
I insist they were the better side against Nigeria but , they are still average players, nothing classy about them.

But if truly you are a lady, l enjoyed your knowledge of football.
I do like ladies that have such knowledge
#RESPECT#
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by AuthorMan: 1:16pm On Feb 13
ladgentle:

I don't see anything wrong in what majority of people on this thread have been saying. We got our tactics all wrong against CIV. And if we don't analyze and see what adjustments to make now, it might cost us our chances of qualifying for the world cup when we meet SA June 3 later on this year.

You are right but to single out a player for Nigeria's woes is bad.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Jeferious: 1:18pm On Feb 13
Laurene:
Besides Osimhen, who else is world-class in Nigeria squad? From the attack to defense?

Nicholas Pepe was once 1 player of year and highest goalscorer in Lille when they won the league even though he might have fallen off now.

Sebastien Haller is also terrific. He won player of the month severally in Dortmund and also appeared on Bundesliga team of the season.
He was much better in Ajax, being the highest goal scorer. Cancer only slowed his pace.

Willy Boly was also spectacular in his prime then in Manchester city.

Serge Aurier was one of the best wingbacks in Premier league.

Franck Kessie? On fire! He was one of the best players in AC Milan

Jean Michael Seri?
Seko Fofana?
Jonathan Bamba?
Ismael Diallo?
Max Gradel?
Ndicka That guy is a low-key beast. A monster of a defender. As big as Osimhen was, he ate him alive
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Timeshalltell(m): 2:03pm On Feb 13
Your grandfathers? You will never witness Ghana win an AFCON, I have witnessed Nigeria win AFCON and in 2 years I will witness another AFCON win. POOR FOOL
Swanzi:

My grandfathers won four Afconโ€ฆ! What were ur lazy grand-fathers doing
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Laurene: 3:05pm On Feb 13
Timoleon:

Maybe that why they lost 4 nil to Equatorial Guinea.

Osimhen is good but I think is overrated. He's not even better than Haller while playing under the same conditions.
Haller almost has the same style of play as Aubameyang.

Don't mention his carrying of Serie A... It was a collective team effort.
Cancer really dealt with Haller. He'd had won African best player by now just like Drogba.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Laurene: 3:18pm On Feb 13
gigabyte13:

Emilio Incase you are not aware is a natural right back, he is a defender for his club.
You can Google that.
He was just a make shift striker in this tournament.
A defender scoring an hat trick against a world class team, isn't that funny enough.

I insist there is nothing classy about the ivorien s.
If it were Didier Drogbas set of ivory coast, then you can talk about world class. But this very one na na na.
I insist they were the better side against Nigeria but , they are still average players, nothing classy about them.

But if truly you are a lady, l enjoyed your knowledge of football.
I do like ladies that have such knowledge
#RESPECT#
I never mentioned Emilio's field position... I was only reiterating his world class position rather.

What some of the Ivoriens need is just more name recognition.
Aubameyang won player of the year in Germany, England and Africa, do you think Gabonese team is world class?

When was the last time a Nigerian won African best player until last year?
In conclusion: There's no clear criteria/yardstick to measure the state of being world class.

And Thanks for the compliments.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Laurene: 3:19pm On Feb 13
Jeferious:
Ndicka That guy is a low-key beast. A monster of a defender. As big as Osimhen was, he ate him alive
Osimhen ain't big, he's just tall and fit!
And Ndicka is actually good... At least in this tournament.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Banbanna(m): 3:39pm On Feb 13
And because of his yeye defensive tactics Osimhen has become an object of mockery to some superficial fans of football who don't realise that Osimhen doesn't play that kind of pack the bus pattern of football with Napoli. Hence the reason why he's currently one of the best strikers in Europe.
If na me be Osimhen, I go complain come out because the coach negative tactics dey choke my gameplay. .
lexy2014:

Omeruo said it all. because the coach was not interested in goals. his tactics was to sit deep and defend. the clown had the best player in Africa in his team who was able to manage just one goal. instead of unleashing him on opponents defences, he caged the guys ability by making him defend for almost 80% of games.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by gigabyte13: 3:39pm On Feb 13
Laurene:
I never mentioned Emilio's field position... I was only reiterating his world class position rather.

What some of the Ivoriens need is just more name recognition.
Aubameyang won player of the year in Germany, England and Africa, do you think Gabonese team is world class?

When was the last time a Nigerian won African best player until last year?
In conclusion: There's no clear criteria/yardstick to measure the state of being world class.

And Thanks for the compliments.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Well done ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Minatouchiha(m): 4:18pm On Feb 13
Timoleon:

That's what deep means in football. To play defense.

Ooohhhh!!!
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Jeferious: 4:37pm On Feb 13
Laurene:
Osimhen ain't big, he's just tall and fit!
And Ndicka is actually good... At least in this tournament.
For a lady, your knowledge of the game is awesome. You "off" me.

However, I disagree with you that Osimhen is just tall and fit. You made him look like a Peter Crouch. Osimhen is not just tall and fit... he's equally big and strong. If you know how big and strong central defenders are meant to be, you'd understand and appreciate the fact that Osimhen is really big and strong to be able to pressure them and eventually rob them of the ball like he usually does.

Another aspect that shows his bigness and strength is in aerial situations. He would often outjump and out-balance equally tall and strong defenders in the air to head the ball. If that doesn't connote physicality and strength, I don't know what does.

Finally, don't forget that Osimhen operated as a lone striker against the Ivorian defence. The Nigerian offensive midfielders were missing in action. As a result, he was overpowered
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Swanzi(m): 5:05pm On Feb 13
Timeshalltell:
Your grandfathers? You will never witness Ghana win an AFCON, I have witnessed Nigeria win AFCON and in 2 years I will witness another AFCON win. POOR FOOL

You mean just like u got raped by elephant Oloriburuku gringrin
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Thomasankara(m): 5:26pm On Feb 13
[/color]they were not better in any way, no be square play Dem dey take deal with una, an obvious fact that ur players were running back tactless[color=#770077]
Quest7777:
Abeg forget tactics. You guys tried but Ivory Coast was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group.

We played against 12men in that Final.
I strongly believe we would have won any other country aside Ivory Coast in that Final.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by autodoctor: 5:56pm On Feb 13
Medicine after death. We all pointed it out clearly before the final whistle.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Wsx2: 6:45pm On Feb 13
No excuses for worst performance they played woefully the coach is senseless Simon should not have been benced in first half he runs faster they didnโ€™t have Osihmeh single chance to hold the ball the coach should have changed tactics before first half ended
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 6:53pm On Feb 13
hilaryCU:
Homegrown or home based?
Home based
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 7:02pm On Feb 13
Beverlyjean:

It's not by scouts... there's also a reason y teams in South America invite the foreign based players in Europe than their own league ... Europe carves out the best of the best ...and will bring out the best version of u as a player ... u think players like Ekong , oshimhen lookman would have been this good if they were still playing in our local league ...
Almost all the Brazilians plying their trade in Europe start up from their local leagues, tell me 1 if I may be wrong.
The excellent scouting system they have over there made it possible for those players to move to Europe and make their names.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 7:04pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
Make home grown win chan first..ndeara
I'm not talking abt home base teams. I am talking about home based individual talents.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 7:06pm On Feb 13
Beverlyjean:

Home grown talents would have knocked us out in the group stage.... our league is not technically sound... its not by the local players being hungry for success to sell themselves.... its about technical abilities... u cant sell a rough diamond...u need to shine and cut it to be attractive for sale.. no one can run faster than their legs .... all the so call small teams that always underperformed in previous tournaments, did well this time cos their players noe play in foreign leagues unlike b4 when they were local league players ... only Egypt, Morocco and South Africa can boast of a standard league in Africa
But at least, individual talents can be picked from our local league if we have a good scouting system
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Thanos5555: 7:17pm On Feb 13
Gboyeee:

Thanks for saying the truth. 5-2-3 useless formation. How do you expect 2 midfielders to be creative enough for the strikers. Never iwobiโ€™s fault.plenty people donโ€™t understand football

thIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED 5-2-3 formation, was purely stupid it was only osimhen and defenders , that were on the pitich. this guys peppered us, na God save us, we wouldhave taken like 4-1
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by aurecia: 8:52pm On Feb 13
Kingrshd3:
This guy dey yarn dust because to me all the matches they won are all by luck and in the finals the luck ran away..

because the highest goal they scored in all matches is just 1 goal ๐Ÿฅ…

So luck is all around u
true talk but u are very funny
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Olumyco(m): 9:17pm On Feb 13
If we take time to study the 3-4-3 formation with its metamorphosis (3-4-2-1 and 5-4-1) we will see that its a balance between offensive and defensive football pattern.

The issue with this formation is that the success of it hinges on the technicalities of the Wing-backs (RWB and LWB). And in our case Aina and Zaidu in the final.

These guys are to run to support both attack and defence on the flanks and they have the width to do this. Making this happen requires a lot of technicalities and strength.

Now if these guys are tired just forget it... things might not work out well.

We have been winning since because we have Aina who is very good as a wing back. Many of us might not know this and just his out of form and error during final cost us the final.

Though comprehensively, aside Aina's expertise, the 3 Central backs Bassey, Ekong and Ajayi and the Keeper have been helping to win.

Let's rewatch our match against Cameroon to understand the attacking form of this formation... we will get that its not a bad formation like that.

What killed us in the final are RWB and LWB coupled with collapsed midfield.

Aina could have been affected psychologically because of the previously missed penalty. Also after the first half our boys looked tired and unmotivated despite they were leading with a goal.. that's unusual. This could be because of the intimation of massive Ivorians in the stadium.

My opinion though.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Olumyco(m): 9:24pm On Feb 13
CyberWolf:
thatโ€™s not correct, what he played was 3-4-2-1 formation, thatโ€™s why Osimhen was isolated upfront without a support which of course, pose no threat to the Ivorians defence thus, they came out fully to attack SE while SE kept defending hoping for a chance for counter attack. Thatโ€™s a typical Mourinho tactic which is outdated. 4-4-2 formation wouldโ€™ve been the best, we have fast wingers and striker but the coach failed to use that.

Na the same thing na. 3-4-3 can metamorphous into 3-4-2-1.

3-4-2-1 is just saying that the 2 central forwards behind the 9 are more inwards... that is inside forward
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Tatinus: 12:00am On Feb 14
Yeah bro, we played too deep leaving pockets of spaces here and there. This was because we overestimated the Ivorians during the match.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Etim Esin & Daniel Amokachi: Who Is More Wasteful? / Rollover Bets To Millions / Video Of GEJ's Phone Chat With The Falconets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.