Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo (15775 Views)

Our Tactics Made Life Difficult For South Africa, Says Nigeria Coach Rohr / Chelsea FC Reacts To Omeruo's Performance / Kenneth Omeruo And Chioma Nnamani's Pre-Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Quest7777: 8:22am On Feb 13
Nato008:

God please u for this comment, I keep telling people if this was not the home team playing in the final..... Nigeria would have won, the used there second chance and home advantage to the fullest....the ran faster than us, pressed harder and the fans gave them triple energy.....Omo forget o, home advantage is real mehn
Well said. đź‘Ť
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by lexy2014: 8:27am On Feb 13
Quest7777:

Every team plays to its strength. You can't play attacking football if you don't have a good squad else you get trashed. No kind of tactics would have made us win that night. Ivory Coast was simply the better team.

If you watched Ivory Coast vs Senegal & vs Mali, you will agree that their crowd of supporters became like the 12th man on the pitch.

earlier you claimed that
Quest7777:
Abeg forget tactics. You guys tried but Ivory Coast was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group.

1. how is that now related to your claim that "Every team plays to its strength"?

2. if you claim that "Every team plays to its strength", is that not tactics but yet the same you said "Abeg forget tactics"?

3. if you claim that Ivory coast " was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group", how then are you now saying that "Every team plays to its strength"?

4. you claimed that Ivory Coast "Ivory Coast was simply the better team". I told you why they were better then you said its not true. you are yet to negate the reason I gave for them being better.

5. if you claim that "Every team plays to its strength", what was Nigeria's strength?

6. how did Nigeria not have a good squad?

7. what makes a "good squad"?

8. what "good squad" in the world would have succeeded playing the defensive tactics of Peseiro?
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Beverlyjean(f): 8:28am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:
Rubbish!!
It is understandable to play well and still loose, but to play very poor and loose a final is miserable.
The super eagles played poorly in my general assessment.
How can a team play a FINAL like that? They should play better than this even if the whole world was against us.
Going forward, I think the NFF should better use homegrown players for tournaments like this. They have more hunger to win and infact they would play even better to sell their talent to the football world.

Home grown talents would have knocked us out in the group stage.... our league is not technically sound... its not by the local players being hungry for success to sell themselves.... its about technical abilities... u cant sell a rough diamond...u need to shine and cut it to be attractive for sale.. no one can run faster than their legs .... all the so call small teams that always underperformed in previous tournaments, did well this time cos their players noe play in foreign leagues unlike b4 when they were local league players ... only Egypt, Morocco and South Africa can boast of a standard league in Africa
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by meedoLock(m): 8:29am On Feb 13
lexy2014:

does the fact he didnt see anything wrong in sitting deep mean that he was right?

if he saw nothing wrong in sitting deep, why did his team not win Ivory Coast?

We are saying the same thing sir angry

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by lexy2014: 8:32am On Feb 13
Nato008:

God please u for this comment, I keep telling people if this was not the home team playing in the final..... Nigeria would have won, the used there second chance and home advantage to the fullest....the ran faster than us, pressed harder and the fans gave them triple energy.....Omo forget o, home advantage is real mehn

1. if home advantage is real, why did Qatar not win the world cup last year or Mexico win it in 1986 or Brazil win it when they hosted it in 2014?

2. why did the Brazilian fans not give their team "triple energy" when Germany was trashing them 7-1?

3. the next world cup will be hosted by Mexico, US and Canada. are you now saying that home advantage will automatically make these 3 countries win the WC?

4. apart from Cameroon, what exactly did Nigeria play in the entire competition that makes you feel that Nigeria would have won if Ivory Coast was not in the final?
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by lexy2014: 8:35am On Feb 13
ogbumosquito1:
Exactly the point here. We have serious offensive players and we should have matched Ivory Coast skill for skill and power for power but rather, our coach's pattern on that day was very wrong . We were tactically deficient.

true his tactics was wrong on the night, but what is the difference between the tactics he used in the final and the one he used in all previous games?
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Ladech(m): 8:38am On Feb 13
You are saying the same thing. They were better because of the tactics. If you flip it the other way and they played deep while Nigeria put pressure on them, the result might not be the same.
Quest7777:
Abeg forget tactics. You guys tried but Ivory Coast was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group.

We played against 12men in that Final.
I strongly believe we would have won any other country aside Ivory Coast in that Final.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by newnigerdelta00: 8:39am On Feb 13
oshozondii:

https://dailytrust.com/afcon-omeruo-blames-eagles-loss-on-peseiros-tactics/

Shut up, owner disgrace the nation you don't have excuse... you all need to apologize to Nigerians , Nigerians put hope on you guys but you guys bleeped up.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 8:41am On Feb 13
Beverlyjean:

Home grown talents would have knocked us out in the group stage.... our league is not technically sound... its not by the local players being hungry for success to sell themselves.... its about technical abilities... u cant sell a rough diamond...u need to shine and cut it to be attractive for sale.. no one can run faster than their legs .... all the so call small teams that always underperformed in previous tournaments, did well this time cos their players noe play in foreign leagues unlike b4 when they were local league players ... only Egypt, Morocco and South Africa can boast of a standard league in Africa
So it is only when you play for a club overseas that makes you eligible to play for the super eagles?
If our domestic league is not strong as you claimed, don't we have good scouts to bring out the best from the local teams?
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by meemee(m): 8:44am On Feb 13
Eagles did excellently well but the Elephants wanted it more, could hold the balll better and they deserve the trophy. Ivory Coast hosted a masterpiece tournament and that is a win and something to celebrate for Africa. It was truly a tournament I enjoyed as a Nigerian and I partied hard with the Ivorians. Those guys can party. They love fun.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Seagodess(f): 8:47am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:
Rubbish!!
It is understandable to play well and still loose, but to play very poor and loose a final is miserable.
How can a team play a FINAL like that? They should play better than this even if the whole world was against us.
Going forward, I think the NFF should better use homegrown players for tournaments like this. They have more hunger to win and infact they would play even better to sell their talent to the football world.
Make home grown win chan first..ndeara
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 8:50am On Feb 13
Seagodess:
Make home grown win chan first..ndeara
Is it not a disgrace that the national team plays this bad?
How many of them can you sincerely pick in your best African team selection currently?
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by jattopeter(m): 8:51am On Feb 13
Flesh and blood hasnt revealed this to you. You just spelt out all the obvious fact. Those guys played a better game than us , they should forget all these cheap talk.
Quest7777:

I strongly believe we would have won any other country aside Ivory Coast in that Final.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Ngobohjay1: 8:51am On Feb 13
[b][/b][i][/i]The worst finals Nigeria ever played in, i swear our coach is not Good at all, he can't even read games, only 1 tactics he deploy, while every games as his own tactics. no be lie we didn't cedis coming and ayew kidding us coach? kudus just believe our boys and it's annoying there's no partey for them,
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Bahamas95(m): 8:52am On Feb 13
If they had played attacking football the result would have been different but the coach decided to be stup!d on the last day. The best form of defence is to attack.

Since they weren't interested to attack the Ivorians grew in confidence and punished them....... There's nothing spectacular in the Ivorian and Nigerian teams. The Ivorians got home advantage while the formidable defence led by Ekong kept the eagles in the competition.

If the Nigerians had played attacking football the game would have been 50-50.....The defensive football gave the referee the opportunity to be bias in his officiating as expected.

Officials would wanna party with the host country because there's assurance of brown envelope before they leave. grin
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Swanzi(m): 8:54am On Feb 13
JealousCobra:

Fvck urself okay.

Hahahahaha epain am
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by samz77: 8:55am On Feb 13
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Beverlyjean(f): 9:00am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:

So it is only when you play for a club overseas that makes you eligible to play for the super eagles?
If our domestic league is not strong as you claimed, don't we have good scouts to bring out the best from the local teams?

It's not by scouts... there's also a reason y teams in South America invite the foreign based players in Europe than their own league ... Europe carves out the best of the best ...and will bring out the best version of u as a player ... u think players like Ekong , oshimhen lookman would have been this good if they were still playing in our local league ...

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by pho: 9:00am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:
Rubbish!!

I totally agree with you they players as if nothing was at stake and deserve to loss, but on the issue of using home base we are not there yet, home base that cannot win CHAN. I think the issue is with the system and until the system is right we will continue to loose finals. You cannot expect a player who earn 83,000 pounds per week to break his leg playing for the country when the country will not bother about him when the injury makes him quit his career, this is the main reason they don't put leg when playing for the national team but they do so well at the club level. Until there is a reward system that will take care of their eventuality while playing for the country things will remain same.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by seunayantokun(m): 9:01am On Feb 13
Went to a tourney with only 5 players.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by COMPAQ(m): 9:04am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:
Rubbish!!

has nothing to do with the players per se. Its 100% the tactics of the coaching crew.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Dennisochampa: 9:04am On Feb 13
All thanks to your coach...... He's an idiot
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Seagodess(f): 9:05am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:

Is it not a disgrace that the national team plays this bad?
How many of them can you sincerely pick in your best African team selection currently?
it's the tactics.. put a creative midfielder into this team And give it to an offensive minded coach and see wonders.. play a 433 formation.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Minatouchiha(m): 9:14am On Feb 13
Which deep? Abi ma another ball dis wan de talk of? U guys were defending upandan.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by AskNgige2: 9:15am On Feb 13
Quest7777:

Correct and the coach doesn't have patterns at all..

Same pattern from day one.. they are just lucky winning gams due to thy actually have good big players
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by maestroferddi: 9:17am On Feb 13
COMPAQ:

has nothing to do with the players per se. Its 100% the tactics of the coaching crew.
What are you talking about?

Was it the coach that asked Osimhen to be completely useless in a final?

This silly behaviour by most Nigerians is the reason the country remains a perpetual underachiever in almost all performance indicators...

You guys were busy hyping an average player just because he won African Footballer of the Year in a year almost no African player had a good season. The hype got the dude and instead of being focused on the job, he was busy falling at every contact and complaining unnecessarily...

Humility is certainly not a popular virtue in Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by ThunderFireAgba: 9:22am On Feb 13
gigabyte13:
Mourinho advised his friend Poseiro to pack the box.....
Poseiro no tell am say, Nigeria no Sabi that kind style, say if we try am, na we gangan go help the opponent score.
He go dey listen to nonsense.
If we play our normal attacking game,who be Cote d'ivoire especially in this tournament...

The ivorien best game in this tournament was against Nigeria
On the other hand
Nigeria worst outing in this tournament was against the ivorien...

We just make the ivorien look world class
Ordinary Cote d'ivoire.
E no kukuma pain me sha
I no even expect the Nigerian side to go this far.
Na our RWB, LWB & CAM. Kill us for that game.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by ThunderFireAgba: 9:25am On Feb 13
ogbumosquito1:
Exactly the point here. We have serious offensive players and we should have matched Ivory Coast skill for skill and power for power but rather,our coach's pattern on that day was very wrong. We were tactically deficient.
Name those players.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Rejoice28(f): 9:37am On Feb 13
Friends Jesus Christ loves y'all and he want you to accept him as your personal lord and saviour by giving your life to Christ, believing in him and repenting of your sins.remember tomorrow might be too late. Shalom
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by comodo: 9:41am On Feb 13
HeroicMeastro:
Rubbish!!
. That's where that tactics come to play. We played 2 MF against 4MF. 2nd half I expected the coach to revert to 3:5:2. With Yusuf, Onyeka and Iwobi. So the tactics brought the pressure on the team. The same thing as against SA. And he kept deploying Iwobi in a position that is not his forte. DLP. Iwobi is not good at marking and covering spaces. And he is not press resistant. And he can't learn it overnight. So Omeruo is right. We conceded the MF without even putting up any resistance.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by CyberWolf: 9:43am On Feb 13
VeeVeeMyLuv:

He used 3-4-3 formation (3 defenders) in an overall team defensive strategy.

The Ivorians found out and capitalized on it using their very effective and powerful flanks/wingers.

that’s not correct, what he played was 3-4-2-1 formation, that’s why Osimhen was isolated upfront without a support which of course, pose no threat to the Ivorians defence thus, they came out fully to attack SE while SE kept defending hoping for a chance for counter attack. That’s a typical Mourinho tactic which is outdated. 4-4-2 formation would’ve been the best, we have fast wingers and striker but the coach failed to use that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mateu Lahos: Leo Messi Called Me And Apologised For The Harsh Words- #Qatar2022 / Etim Esin & Daniel Amokachi: Who Is More Wasteful? / Rollover Bets To Millions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.