Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System (21911 Views)

Elder Statesman, Aminu Dantata Backs Transition To Parliamentary System / Yakassai Backs Power Rotation, Seeks Nigeria’s Return To Parliamentary System / House Of Representatives Wants Nigeria Returned To Parliamentary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Thissystem: 7:52pm On Feb 14
No fewer than 60 members of the Federal House of Representatives are seeking amendments to the 1999 Constitution to transition from the presidential to parliamentary system of government.

The lawmakers were led by the member representing Lagos State under the All Progressives Congress (APC), Wale Raji.

The lawmakers identified the need for reducing the cost of government, and robust policy debates among others as some of the reasons for demanding a return to the parliamentary system.

In a parliamentary system, the head of state and head of government are usually two separate positions, with the head of state serving as a ceremonial figurehead with little if any power, while all of the real political power is vested in the head of government. This is in contrast to a presidential system, which features a president who is usually both the head of state and the head of government and, most importantly, does not derive their legitimacy from the legislature.

Critics have however highlighted the following as disadvantages of the parliamentary system of government.

Incomplete separation of power.
Legislative flip-flopping.
Political fragmentation.
Democratic unaccountability.

The presidential form has executive and legislative branches that are separate but equal, whereas the parliamentary form has an executive branch that is a part of the legislative branch.

What makes a parliamentary government different from the United States?

A parliamentary government is different from the U.S. government because a parliamentary legislature picks its executive (the prime minister) and can remove the executive more easily using votes of no confidence. By contrast, the United States elects its executive (the president) directly every four years.
https://dailypostngr.com/2024/02/breaking-apc-lawmaker-59-others-seek-change-from-presidential-to-parliamentary-system/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Thissystem: 7:52pm On Feb 14
We dey do testing, testing, testing in Naija governance/politics. Testing the microphone
E go better

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Jnas: 7:59pm On Feb 14
Will that put an end to the suffering in our street ?

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Benia: 8:01pm On Feb 14
The country is ripe for it

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Chimarto: 8:01pm On Feb 14
How do we get our head of state elected? Is it similar to Israel and UK system?

5 Likes

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Thissystem: 8:13pm On Feb 14
From the article;

Critics have however highlighted the following as disadvantages of the parliamentary system of government.
• Incomplete separation of power.
• Legislative flip-flopping.
• Political fragmentation.
• Democratic unaccountability.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by truthhurtsnaira: 8:13pm On Feb 14
Let’s see what the North that rules says

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AlexBells(m): 8:21pm On Feb 14
Good luck parliamentary system didn’t work in the first place, the people deserve to elect their head of state and government not some ministers.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Faiththatworks(m): 8:27pm On Feb 14
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.
I'm sorry for the detour from the topic,but I read a news yesterday and my mind couldn't understand it,some Northern House of Representatives members opposed a bill seeking to amend the constitution to allow only Only B.sc and HND holders contest for election to the post of the President and Governors.
Shame on all any Nigerian that still believes a school certificate holder,or a diploma is enough qualification to rule Nigeria.
I repeat again shame,shame,shame,shame on these people.
A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,but these people feel that kind of certificate is enough to rule Nigeria.
Anyone that's intellectually lazy to accquire a HND or B.Sc should never ever be allowed to be a governor,President or even a legislator.
Do these people understand how intelligent a president must be, someone who has to read and form opinions from reports he/she will receive from the NSA,from the CBN,From the NNPCL,from more than 30 Ministers,I mean the President must have an opinion on everything going on in the country and in 2024,a Northern Representative feels a Waec certificate or diploma is enough,shame on these people.
We must tell these Northern Representative that don't have any shame to have this kind of opinion.
Infact Nigerian youths should form a hashtag and shame these Northerns who have this infantile opinion.
Back to the Topic,I believe this is the best time for President Tinubu to have the balls to scatter and restructure Nigeria,he must quickly use these hard times to quickly restructure Nigeria.
Nigeria needs bold and quick reforms,I totally support this idea of a parliamentary system of government,I also read of the Minister of Power talking about State and Local Government having the license to generate and distribute power,that's another wonderful suggestions.
Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
Nigerians are too hungry to protest especially those in the North.
God bless Nigeria

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:35pm On Feb 14
Nkpotu!…..Noise!

Only a popular uprising can change the status-quo the greedy and selfish political class are currently feeding fat on! Hell would freeze over before Nigeria reverts to the fiscal-federalism and parliamentary system of gov’t of the 60s!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by TopBanter: 8:37pm On Feb 14
Bullsh1t !!! We flatly reject parliamentary system. It is another con and will still be same "business as usual" centrally administered Nigeria pretending to be practicing UK-style parliamentary system.

Same as we currently use the American Presidential system but bastardized our own to reject autonomous functions like State policing and each State operating their own constitution etc.

No more 419 system. Give us full regional autonomy and nothing else. We cannot and should not jump from frying pan into the fire. Reps should keep their "old wine in new bottle" mischief to themselves. Nigerians must reject it.

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by TopBanter: 8:49pm On Feb 14
AlexBells:
Good luck parliamentary system didn’t work in the first place, the people deserve to elect their head of state and government not some ministers.

The proposal is bullsh1t. A play on semantics i.e head of State v head of government. We will still have a head of government which, in gbajue Nigeria, will not be different to what we have today that encourages centrist looting of our commonwealth under one individual.

What we need is full resource control an elected Premier will then manage for each geopolitical region of Nigeria under full regional automomy.

We don't need this parliamentary scam that will still put one individual in charge of the fortunes and directions of all regions and people of Nigeria.

In a parliamentary system, the head of state and head of government are usually two separate positions, with the head of state serving as a ceremonial figurehead with little if any power, while all of the real political power is vested in the head of government.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by jkpbestseries: 8:52pm On Feb 14
the best government, the military turned everything bad.

3 Likes

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AlexBells(m): 8:55pm On Feb 14
TopBanter:

The proposal is bullsh1t. A play on semantics i.e head of State v head of government. We will still have a head of government which, in gbajue Nigeria, will not be different to what we have today that encourages centrist looting of our commonwealth under one individual.

What we need is full resource control an elected Premier will then manage for each geopolitical region of Nigeria under full regional automomy.

We don't need this parliamentary scam that will still put one individual in charge of the fortunes and directions of all regions and people of Nigeria.

Are governors not mini President in a mini region, the problem is that everyone in Nigeria have an opinion but not very many wants to learn what you proposing what we already have, do you know what it means that all land belongs to states yet people are dying of hunger where’s any state owned farm?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by delpee(f): 8:55pm On Feb 14
What is important is to cancel one of either Senate or HOR. We're spending too much on a few people in two different Chambers who are doing about the same thing.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Osoboshi: 8:59pm On Feb 14
Faiththatworks:
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.
I'm sorry for the detour from the topic,but I read a news yesterday and my mind couldn't understand it,some Northern House of Representatives members opposed a bill seeking to amend the constitution to allow only Only B.sc and HND holders contest for election to the post of the President and Governors.
Shame on all any Nigerian that still believes a school certificate holder,or a diploma is enough qualification to rule Nigeria.
A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,but these people feel that kind of certificate is enough to rule Nigeria.
Anyone that's intellectually lazy to accquire a HND or B.Sc should never ever be allowed to be a governor,President or even a legislator.
Do these people understand how intelligent a president must be, someone who has to read and form opinions from reports he/she will receive from the NSA,from the CBN,From the NNPCL,from more than 30 Ministers,I mean the President must have an opinion on everything going on in the country and in 2024,a Northern Representative feels a Waec certificate or diploma is enough,shame on these people.
We must tell these Northern Representative that don't have any shame to have this kind of opinion.
Infact Nigerian youths should form a hashtag and shame these Northerns who have this infantile opinion.
Back to the Topic,I believe this is the best time for President Tinubu to have the balls to scatter and restructure Nigeria,he must quickly use these hard times to quickly restructure Nigeria.
Nigeria needs bold and quick reforms,I totally support this idea of a parliamentary system of government,I also read of the Minister of Power talking about State and Local Government having the license to generate and distribute power,that's another wonderful suggestions.
Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
God bless Nigeria
list the reps out, propaganda coming from people that buy bsc in the market

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Khallicopyro: 9:00pm On Feb 14
The Emilokan won't like this
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Thissystem: 9:19pm On Feb 14
Faiththatworks:
God bless Nigeria

Lol, you have a point here.
"A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,,," but a Secondary school certificate is enough to rule the country and oversee everyone - Primary School certs to PhDs,....Profs, Harvard educated, MDs, and all.

E go better!

10 Likes

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:49pm On Feb 14
Faiththatworks:
God bless Nigeria

Governance is not all about degrees but doing the right thing,we had person of higher degrees as president and governors in the past what's the outcome.There higher degrees holder in MDA across the nation they worked together with the politician to siphon the treasury.what we need is someone with kind hearted

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:53pm On Feb 14
Faiththatworks:
God bless Nigeria

The same NNPC that doesn't give proper account for crude oil or CBN that racketeering of usd

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Faiththatworks(m): 10:01pm On Feb 14
I usually refrain from replying people on Nairaland cos I feel it distracts from the topic,but today I will reply you.
https://www.nairaland.com/7999665/reps-drop-bill-making-varsity#128437869
That's the link on Nairaland,you will see the name of these shameless Northern Legislators who have the nerve to say a WAEC holder or even a Diploma should think of aspiring to be a president, Governor or Legislator.
A certificate that will not allow any one to become a Headmaster or Head mistress in any Private Nursery and Primary school in Nigeria but is good enough to rule Nigeria.
Shame on these Northern Legislators and their backward idea of allowing semi illetrates to govern this great country called Nigeria.
I repeat shame shame shame on these Northern Legislators,I will continue to call them out until that bill is passed and a minimum requirement of HND or B.SC is allowed to come near elective position in Nigeria.
They can allow WAEC certificate holders and Diploma certificate holders to govern their local government councils and states but not Nigeria.
I pray they approve the Parliamentary system of government where Ministers,And the Prime Minister will be chosen from Parliament.
Let them send Waec holders and Diploma certificate holders to the Parliament,while the rest of the Country send in their best.
U will see the full article in the link and the names of all the Northern Legislators who opposed the bill.
Shame on you for the hasty generalization of labelling some people as certificate buyers,at least they bought certificate,and hopefully when it's presented INEC and the courts will disqualify them.
That's why we have laws in Nigeria,but to even try to make a statement supporting these Northern Legislators,shame on you too. I repeat shame on YOU
God bless Nigeria

Osoboshi:
list the reps out, propaganda coming from people that buy bsc in the market

6 Likes

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Faiththatworks(m): 10:12pm On Feb 14
So it's not about degree but will they allow a Waec holder to head NNPCL, CBN, NIMASA, NPA,or even become a permanent secretary in the civil service.
Enough of the sentimentalism, Nigeria will be remaim stagnant, I repeat emotions, platitudes, sentiments doesn't make anyone a good leader.
If you are so lazy intellectually and can't push yourself to have an HND or B.Sc in all your adult life,such an individual should never rule a state or My country.
I totally support the Parliamentary system of government,let the Senate be closed down.
That institution is the biggest legitimate fraud in Nigeria, that's the place where there's quadruplication not duplication of Duties.
Why should we have Senate and House Committee on Institution like the Armed Forces,and some other Institutions.

hakeemhakeem:

Governance is not all about degrees but doing the right thing,we had person of higher degrees as president and governors in the past what's the outcome.There higher degrees holder in MDA across the nation they worked together with the politician to siphon the treasury.what we need is someone with kind hearted

3 Likes

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by killsmith(f): 10:38pm On Feb 14
Coming from APC the father of lies.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by nairalanda1(m): 4:26am On Feb 15
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Well, whatever system we use, the problem is, the stealing would continue cheesy

Remember Nzeogwu's ten percenters? Under parliamentary rule it happened .

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by aariwa(m): 4:27am On Feb 15
“The lawmakers were led by the member representing Lagos State under the All Progressives Congress (APC), Wale Raji.”

Tinubu APC wasted billions that could have been spent on farmers to reduce food prices by at least 70% on fruitless propaganda against igbos. Today mandate thief has so ran out of ideas that the he is either blame buhari government or igbos or emefiele or governors….clueless Tinubu now wants parliamentary system of government …smh. Nothing fruitful will ever come out from a stolen mandate
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by malali: 4:29am On Feb 15
[b]

Parliamentary System

Pros:
1.Unity and Consensus: In a parliamentary system, the executive (the Prime Minister) is usually a member of the majority party in the parliament. This means that the government's agenda is more likely to align with the views of the majority of lawmakers, leading to smoother decision-making and greater unity.
2.Flexibility: If the Prime Minister loses the support of the parliament, they can be removed through a vote of no confidence, leading to a new government without the need for a full election. This allows for quicker responses to changing circumstances or public sentiment.
3.Accountability: The Prime Minister and cabinet ministers are directly accountable to the parliament, which means they must regularly answer questions and defend their actions. This helps ensure that government officials are held accountable for their decisions and actions.

Cons:
1.Instability:Since the government's survival depends on maintaining the support of the parliament, frequent changes in government can occur if there is political instability or shifting alliances among political parties. This can lead to uncertainty and inconsistency in governance.
2. Dominance of Political Parties: In a parliamentary system, political parties have a lot of power, and smaller parties may struggle to have their voices heard. This could potentially lead to the interests of minority groups being overlooked.
3. Less Direct Representation:In some parliamentary systems, voters do not directly elect the Prime Minister, but rather vote for a political party. This means that the leader of the country may not necessarily reflect the preferences of all voters.

Presidential System

Pros:
1.Stability: The president serves a fixed term and cannot be easily removed from office outside of impeachment proceedings, providing more stability and continuity in leadership.
2.Direct Representation:In a presidential system, voters directly elect the president, which means that the leader of the country is directly accountable to the people.
3.Separation of Powers:The presidential system typically separates the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government, which can help prevent any one branch from becoming too powerful.

Cons:
1. Gridlock:In a presidential system, if the president's party does not have a majority in the legislature, it can lead to gridlock and difficulty passing legislation, as the president and the legislature may have conflicting priorities.
2. Less Flexibility: Unlike in a parliamentary system, where the government can be easily replaced, removing a president from office outside of scheduled elections can be a lengthy and complex process, which may make it harder to address urgent issues.
3.Less Accountability:Since the president is not directly accountable to the legislature, there may be fewer mechanisms in place to hold them accountable for their actions, potentially leading to abuses of power.[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Customs Advertise Sale Of 2 Aircraft, 1 Helicopter / Senate Set To Sanction Ndume Over “unparliamentary Comments " / PMB The Only President That Can Whip People With Koboko & They Will Smile- Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.