Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,290 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System (21921 Views)

Elder Statesman, Aminu Dantata Backs Transition To Parliamentary System / Yakassai Backs Power Rotation, Seeks Nigeria’s Return To Parliamentary System / House Of Representatives Wants Nigeria Returned To Parliamentary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by meum: 4:29am On Feb 15
Another trial & error.

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by olusola200: 4:31am On Feb 15
Let square pegs stay in a square hole and alow
Round pegs in the round hole
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by seunayantokun(m): 4:34am On Feb 15
That is what we need.
Nigeria started off with the parliamentary system. It has made the UK what it is, and many other strong democracies world over.

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Curious346: 4:37am On Feb 15
Best move..
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by rafcrown(m): 4:42am On Feb 15
As long as you have corrupt people like Ibori,Edu and co as politicians no system can work.
As long as you have NURTW thugs,condemned çriminals at home and abroad,fraudsters and drug barons etc playing prominent roles in politics,no new system can work.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by seunayantokun(m): 4:48am On Feb 15
Chimarto:
How do we get our head of state elected? Is it similar to Israel and UK system?
Since head of state is ceremonious and not head of government, we can even handle that in our own way by making it an appointment from the six geopolitical zones on rotational basis. Traditional rulers should have that office. The same can be replicated at every level down the line.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Tilewizy: 5:01am On Feb 15
That's a wrong idea. Trust me, it would just be a power tustle between head of state and head of government. The black man isn't ready for democracy yet.
What we need is regional government to save Nigeria.
We must ho back to the pre-independence constitution not the 1999 version we are using.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by bluefilm: 5:04am On Feb 15
All these moves are unnecessary.

Just allow us to go

You guys can continue your experiments on what system of government suits you fine, after we're gone!

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AlexBells(m): 5:26am On Feb 15
TopBanter:

The proposal is bullsh1t. A play on semantics i.e head of State v head of government. We will still have a head of government which, in gbajue Nigeria, will not be different to what we have today that encourages centrist looting of our commonwealth under one individual.

What we need is full resource control an elected Premier will then manage for each geopolitical region of Nigeria under full regional automomy.

We don't need this parliamentary scam that will still put one individual in charge of the fortunes and directions of all regions and people of Nigeria.

What do you mean by all of the real power, immunity, power over land, over the state is not real power becuase they don’t control minerals and police, Nigeria is is not ripe for state police
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by mignone(f): 5:46am On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.

Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
Nigerians are too hungry to protest especially those in the North.
God bless Nigeria
I wonder which aṣiwaju you're referring to.
Is there another?
Cos the one I know of is insincere. Hence, no positive outcome from whatever his govt claims to bring up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Ategberoson(m): 5:51am On Feb 15
Regionalism or nothing, you these arm robbers want to start another govt of thieves

Useless people

I want a govt that aboki don't refuse my progress, he won't have says in my development and oppose my moving forward because of his crafted populated mechanism

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by FARA4GA: 5:57am On Feb 15
Yeye dey smell
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Pinicop(m): 5:58am On Feb 15
Mumu lawbreakers, hunger and insecurity are the major pressing issues that need the most urgent interventions, not what type of system of government Nigeria use.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Badgers14: 6:03am On Feb 15
The Federal system of government have failed Nigeria.

Parliamentary system of government while it has its shortcomings.. it is better for Nigeria.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Brushstrokes20: 6:11am On Feb 15
Arrant bullocks!👀👀👀
What the doomed contraption urgently needs is an
OUT RIGHT DISINTEGRATION!👌👌
# Nig is a FAILED British EXPERIMENT 💯💯

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by sokera: 6:14am On Feb 15
A lot of our youth don’t know this was what we had before the igbos destroyed it and gave us presidential system… I am very sure igbos and Fulani will reject this beautiful system of government… it’s time we return this country back to regional

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by psalmsjob: 6:20am On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.
I'm sorry for the detour from the topic,but I read a news yesterday and my mind couldn't understand it,some Northern House of Representatives members opposed a bill seeking to amend the constitution to allow only Only B.sc and HND holders contest for election to the post of the President and Governors.
Shame on all any Nigerian that still believes a school certificate holder,or a diploma is enough qualification to rule Nigeria.
I repeat again shame,shame,shame,shame on these people.
A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,but these people feel that kind of certificate is enough to rule Nigeria.
Anyone that's intellectually lazy to accquire a HND or B.Sc should never ever be allowed to be a governor,President or even a legislator.
Do these people understand how intelligent a president must be, someone who has to read and form opinions from reports he/she will receive from the NSA,from the CBN,From the NNPCL,from more than 30 Ministers,I mean the President must have an opinion on everything going on in the country and in 2024,a Northern Representative feels a Waec certificate or diploma is enough,shame on these people.
We must tell these Northern Representative that don't have any shame to have this kind of opinion.
Infact Nigerian youths should form a hashtag and shame these Northerns who have this infantile opinion.
Back to the Topic,I believe this is the best time for President Tinubu to have the balls to scatter and restructure Nigeria,he must quickly use these hard times to quickly restructure Nigeria.
Nigeria needs bold and quick reforms,I totally support this idea of a parliamentary system of government,I also read of the Minister of Power talking about State and Local Government having the license to generate and distribute power,that's another wonderful suggestions.
Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
Nigerians are too hungry to protest especially those in the North.
God bless Nigeria

I will rather say shame on you grin
1) For thinking intelligence comes by having a Bsc &or HND only when learning to read and write with the fear of God or good morals leads to being intelligent grin

2) For thinking parliamentary system is better for Nigeria when the system cannot even guarantee your Bsc/HND person would emerge Prime Minister if you want to see real government (black) magic in Nigeria try again parliamentary system of government its like military government run by civilians grin

3) An intelligent person will know this is not the right time to change the political structure of Nigeria what we need now is economical restructure

4) You are a very toxic person and I'm not sorry to say that grin did you ask yourself to know whether those Northern lawmakers who opposed the Bsc/HND only for President, governor etc amendment don't have Bsc or HND themselves? I'm sure they have Bsc even more than that but the main point of the law as to educational qualifications of our President is openness to every Nigeria and you don't need to be a Bsc or HND holder to be a Nigerian so much to aspire to be a president or governor etc after all the people would still have to elect him and that includes people like you with Bsc in Toxicity grin

5) Make una wail small small o we know dis melody of reverse psychology of Tinubu do dis now do dat now. Nigeria go beta for those who truly loves Nigeria personalities, parties, tribe and sects apart cool
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by muchkay(m): 6:27am On Feb 15
This is definitely a ploy to take our minds away from the real issues of insecurity and hunger .
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by goldmatrix(m): 6:29am On Feb 15
Anything that would cut off some monies from getting into their pockets can't stand.. Absolutely.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by abdeefggh: 6:39am On Feb 15
Tilewizy:
That's a wrong idea. Trust me, it would just be a power tustle between head of state and head of government. The black man isn't ready for democracy yet.
What we need is regional government to save Nigeria.
We must ho back to the pre-independence constitution not the 1999 version we are using.

Lol, is regionalism not the same as parliamentary system?
Some of you people sef
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Danchibez: 6:40am On Feb 15
Chimarto:
How do we get our head of state elected? Is it similar to Israel and UK system?

Yes
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by israelmao(m): 6:49am On Feb 15
Leaders are the issues not system of government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Maser: 6:52am On Feb 15
A good idea, but why do I think this is a gimmick to deflect public attention from the rising tension for a while. They've mastered the art of distraction, and they know how to play it on Nigerians. In the end, nothing gets achieved.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Gr8amechi: 6:54am On Feb 15
malali:
[b]

Parliamentary System

Pros:
1.Unity and Consensus: In a parliamentary system, the executive (the Prime Minister) is usually a member of the majority party in the parliament. This means that the government's agenda is more likely to align with the views of the majority of lawmakers, leading to smoother decision-making and greater unity.
2.Flexibility: If the Prime Minister loses the support of the parliament, they can be removed through a vote of no confidence, leading to a new government without the need for a full election. This allows for quicker responses to changing circumstances or public sentiment.
3.Accountability: The Prime Minister and cabinet ministers are directly accountable to the parliament, which means they must regularly answer questions and defend their actions. This helps ensure that government officials are held accountable for their decisions and actions.

Cons:
1.Instability:Since the government's survival depends on maintaining the support of the parliament, frequent changes in government can occur if there is political instability or shifting alliances among political parties. This can lead to uncertainty and inconsistency in governance.
2. Dominance of Political Parties: In a parliamentary system, political parties have a lot of power, and smaller parties may struggle to have their voices heard. This could potentially lead to the interests of minority groups being overlooked.
3. Less Direct Representation:In some parliamentary systems, voters do not directly elect the Prime Minister, but rather vote for a political party. This means that the leader of the country may not necessarily reflect the preferences of all voters.

Presidential System

Pros:
1.Stability: The president serves a fixed term and cannot be easily removed from office outside of impeachment proceedings, providing more stability and continuity in leadership.
2.Direct Representation:In a presidential system, voters directly elect the president, which means that the leader of the country is directly accountable to the people.
3.Separation of Powers:The presidential system typically separates the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government, which can help prevent any one branch from becoming too powerful.

Cons:
1. Gridlock:In a presidential system, if the president's party does not have a majority in the legislature, it can lead to gridlock and difficulty passing legislation, as the president and the legislature may have conflicting priorities.
2. Less Flexibility: Unlike in a parliamentary system, where the government can be easily replaced, removing a president from office outside of scheduled elections can be a lengthy and complex process, which may make it harder to address urgent issues.
3.Less Accountability:Since the president is not directly accountable to the legislature, there may be fewer mechanisms in place to hold them accountable for their actions, potentially leading to abuses of power.[/b]

I have an excellent suggestion to solve these cons on Parliamentary.

Simple we can elect our president by majority votes and then allow the president act as the symbol of the unity of the country.

I still strongly believe a modified Parliamentary systems is best for us where the president is rotated by the constitution and the president have power over service chiefs and external security but the PM control economy and internal security.

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Inobeyourmate: 7:01am On Feb 15
We no practice paramilitary, corruption don sink our country, imagine if we come start to Dey practice parliamentary, omo! Naija go even finish completely, make them no try am oh 😔
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by yommen: 7:05am On Feb 15
It changes nothing. Our mindset is still dirty, still.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by caesymore(m): 7:09am On Feb 15
Thissystem:
From the article;

Critics have however highlighted the following as disadvantages of the parliamentary system of government.
• Incomplete separation of power.
• Legislative flip-flopping.
• Political fragmentation.
• Democratic unaccountability.

If used in Nigeria you will see new disadvantages.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by SmallDick99(m): 7:11am On Feb 15
Parliamentary system of government will definitely be better especially at the state level.

Cause the way this governors operate eh, I don't even understand
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by BenuePolitician(m): 7:11am On Feb 15
Nigeria needs a Democratic Dictatorship form of government where by everyone is beneath the president and answerable to the president who makes all decisions unilaterally and Public office holders found guilty of corruption publicly executed or publicly punished so as to serve as deterant against corrupt practices. This way, the country can grow fast and rapidly smiley

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by HellVictorinho6(m): 7:12am On Feb 15
psalmsjob:

I will rather say shame on you grin
1) For thinking intelligence comes by having a Bsc &or HND only when learning to read and write with the fear of God or good morals leads to being intelligent grin

2) For thinking parliamentary system is better for Nigeria when the system cannot even guarantee your Bsc/HND person would emerge Prime Minister if you want to see real government (black) magic in Nigeria try again parliamentary system of government its like military government run by civilians grin

3) An intelligent person will know this is not the right time to change the political structure of Nigeria what we need now is economical restructure

4) You are a very toxic person and I'm not sorry to say that grin did you ask yourself to know whether those Northern lawmakers who opposed the Bsc/HND only for President, governor etc amendment don't have Bsc or HND themselves? I'm sure they have Bsc even more than that but the main point of the law as to educational qualifications of our President is openness to every Nigeria and you don't need to be a Bsc or HND holder to be a Nigerian so much to aspire to be a president or governor etc after all the people would still have to elect him and that includes people like you with Bsc in Toxicity grin

5) Make una wail small small o we know dis melody of reverse psychology of Tinubu do dis now do dat now. Nigeria go beta for those who truly loves Nigeria personalities, parties, tribe and sects apart cool

Can u help me with 2k?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by blacksam01: 7:16am On Feb 15
Has anyone ver heard that a paliamentary system of government have tenure limit..?

Paliamentary system is a system wherr thr party holds supreme even over the constitution....a group of corupt persons can keep extemdenibg the presidents tenure up nd down...again..there is no set period for elections.....its a stupid system...

Anything the US inherited from.britain and dumps , then its not worth it
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Svoboda(m): 7:17am On Feb 15
AlexBells:
Good luck parliamentary system didn’t work in the first place, the people deserve to elect their head of state and government not some ministers.

Those who carried that first military coup would be shaking their heads in regret when they consider the level of malfeasance
going on now. I like the first among equals system of the parliamentary framework. It is somewhat egalitarian to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fear Of Arrest Grips Metuh Over Allegations Of Receiving N450m - SaharaReporters / Ikechi Emenike Emerges Abia APC Governorship Candidate / Ateke Tom Unveiled As Grand Patron Of Messengers Of Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.