Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System (21962 Views)

27 Rivers Lawmakers Lack Powers To Serve Fubara Impeachment Notice – G-60 Reps / Elder Statesman, Aminu Dantata Backs Transition To Parliamentary System / House Of Representatives Wants Nigeria Returned To Parliamentary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AbuTwins: 7:18am On Feb 15
He go work?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Khallicopyro: 7:18am On Feb 15
State autonomy or nothing else
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by siant: 7:19am On Feb 15
Adoption of the strong presidential system in the second republic in 1979, was the aftermath of the civil war. Military regime feared that Nigeria was prone to division with the parliamentary system, due to its flexibility.
Putting into consideration, the political crisis that took place six years after independence-1966, which necessitated the military to intervene and civil war that lasted for over 3 years, so when military was leaving they had to introduce presidential system. In 1999, when returning to democracy, presidential system was retained, because Nigeria's unity remained fragile. The same thing is responsible for the kind of federal system we practice where too much power is vested in center.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by DeepSight(m): 7:20am On Feb 15
abdeefggh:

Lol, is regionalism not the same as parliamentary system?
Some of you people sef

No it is not.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Nwanna2588: 7:23am On Feb 15
No, no, no, no, not nowadays when we've tried both. This was how things went down in the old days, like back in the First Republic. Even though I wasn't around then, I've read about it, and trust me, it's not good for us. If you're from the South and you're all for a parliamentary system in Nigeria, just know you're handing power over to the North. Plain and simple. The last time we tried it, Tafawa Balewa was the only Nigerian who held such a position, and we all know where he's from. It's a cycle that keeps repeating. I'm not against the North leading Nigeria, but I'm all for our federal character system. This just leads us away from it because sticking with the parliamentary system means the North will consistently hold the top spot in government, which goes against our federal character principle, or whatever you want to call it. So, let's stick with the style we've had since October 1st, 1979. Enough of this Westminster stuff they call responsible government. I don't see how responsible it is. If we can ditch most of their system and stick with the American style, we should. I'm not into that. It's anti-South, plain and simple!

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by blackmantis: 7:25am On Feb 15
Jokers
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Ahoadaeast: 7:26am On Feb 15
Na am go stop the manipulations and corruptions?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AlexBells(m): 7:34am On Feb 15
Svoboda:

Those who carried that first military coup would be shaking their heads in regret when they consider the level of malfeasance
going on now. I like the first among equals system of the parliamentary framework. It is somewhat egalitarian to me.
Presidential system is better, so you want few ministers to decide the head of state and government what happen to the people electing their leaders direct.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Bluntemperor: 7:39am On Feb 15
Thissystem:
From the article;

Critics have however highlighted the following as disadvantages of the parliamentary system of government.
• Incomplete separation of power.
• Legislative flip-flopping.
• Political fragmentation.
• Democratic unaccountability.

Was the Parliamentary Govt never tested in Nigeria before and why was it changed?
•The truth is that we are greedy, wicked and very Unpatriotic, even this Presidential,if we play by the rules,is the best Form of govt, although expensive!
But look at the Governors- with Multiple NBillions in their hands - living as Emperors,while the Masses are suffering!
To worsen things,most Local Govts in Nigeria- is dead!
•The Parliamentary Govt is also fallible and very easy to go down -if you have a parochial Prime Minister - who is always back by his people,for Selfish ends and always bought the consciense of other Parliamentarians up ,as they will always back illegalities!
•Would the Religious leaders,the Traditional Rulers and the Politicians- whose motives is grab and steal allowed it to function,while they pretend to be for the Masses?
We have a long way to go!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by membranus: 7:48am On Feb 15
bluefilm:
All these moves are unnecessary.

Just allow us to go

You guys can continue your experiments on what system of government suits you fine, after we're gone!

Nobody is going anywhere. Aguiyi Ironsi brought this unitary government contraption on the country. Go and wake the man up from death to change it before we allow you to go.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by fabolouz1(m): 7:50am On Feb 15
We have tried all these forms of government before and truth is without a strong institution all these forms of government won't make a difference .
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Faiththatworks(m): 7:57am On Feb 15
I say again shame on people like you that have this very dangerous opinion.
How can any Nigerian in 2024 have the opinion that learning to read and write with the fear of God is good enough to lead Nigeria.
U must be a very intellectually deficient human being to type this nonsense and still believe you made any sense.
How do you measure an Human beings intellect,is that not why educational grades were Introduced.
That's why there are different grades in schools like A1,B2,B3 and even upon graduation you have first class,second class upper and lower e.t.c.
Your intellect determines your grades.
If you feel you are more intelligent than whatever grade you graduate with,then you continue pushing yourself until you get the grades that determine your intellect.
U should be ashamed for this your opinion,how can any Nigerian oppose a minimum education qualification of A B.SC or HND to rule Nigeria.
Even in the same National Assembly they will never allow a Waec certificate holder to head them,why then will they allow that kind of certificate holder to rule Nigeria.
If you feel I'm toxic because I'm an advocate of people with an HND or B.Sc ruling Nigeria then I'm proud to be a very toxic person.
If my toxicity will lead to Nigeria disqualifying a Waec or Diploma certificate holder leading Nigeria,then I will consider that my little struggle to making Nigeria better.
God bless Nigeria

psalmsjob:

I will rather say shame on you grin
1) For thinking intelligence comes by having a Bsc &or HND only when learning to read and write with the fear of God or good morals leads to being intelligent grin

2) For thinking parliamentary system is better for Nigeria when the system cannot even guarantee your Bsc/HND person would emerge Prime Minister if you want to see real government (black) magic in Nigeria try again parliamentary system of government its like military government run by civilians grin

3) An intelligent person will know this is not the right time to change the political structure of Nigeria what we need now is economical restructure

4) You are a very toxic person and I'm not sorry to say that grin did you ask yourself to know whether those Northern lawmakers who opposed the Bsc/HND only for President, governor etc amendment don't have Bsc or HND themselves? I'm sure they have Bsc even more than that but the main point of the law as to educational qualifications of our President is openness to every Nigeria and you don't need to be a Bsc or HND holder to be a Nigerian so much to aspire to be a president or governor etc after all the people would still have to elect him and that includes people like you with Bsc in Toxicity grin

5) Make una wail small small o we know dis melody of reverse psychology of Tinubu do dis now do dat now. Nigeria go beta for those who truly loves Nigeria personalities, parties, tribe and sects apart cool
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by MT: 7:58am On Feb 15
Thissystem:

https://dailypostngr.com/2024/02/breaking-apc-lawmaker-59-others-seek-change-from-presidential-to-parliamentary-system/

Can't we evolve our own system that works in africa?

A sort of hybrid system between parliamentary and presidential system, which will align to who we are.

Must we always use a system that is tailored to work for the whites?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by membranus: 7:59am On Feb 15
Nwanna2588:
No, no, no, no, not nowadays when we've tried both. This was how things went down in the old days, like back in the First Republic. Even though I wasn't around then, I've read about it, and trust me, it's not good for us. If you're from the South and you're all for a parliamentary system in Nigeria, just know you're handing power over to the North. Plain and simple. The last time we tried it, Tafawa Balewa was the only Nigerian who held such a position, and we all know where he's from. It's a cycle that keeps repeating. I'm not against the North leading Nigeria, but I'm all for our federal character system. This just leads us away from it because sticking with the parliamentary system means the North will consistently hold the top spot in government, which goes against our federal character principle, or whatever you want to call it. So, let's stick with the style we've had since October 1st, 1979. Enough of this Westminster stuff they call responsible government. I don't see how responsible it is. If we can ditch most of their system and stick with the American style, we should. I'm not into that. It's anti-South, plain and simple!

Why is it anti South when it is the parties representatives that decide who becomes the PM? There is no single party holding the whole north, and besides the north is no more hegemonic as you thinks.

However I do not support the parliamentary system of government or the present presidential system. Let the regions divide and let them go their own ways. Or at least, let's restructure the government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Harmic995(m): 8:02am On Feb 15
Honestly
BenuePolitician:
Nigeria needs a Democratic Dictatorship form of government where by everyone is beneath the president and answerable to the president who makes all decisions unilaterally and Public office holders found guilty of corruption publicly executed or publicly punished so as to serve as deterant against corrupt practices. This way, the country can grow fast and rapidly smiley
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by yeshuasfootstep(m): 8:09am On Feb 15
Instead of discussing important things like regionalism, state police, local government autonomy,etc.

You people are bent on adding to the existing problems, because the two top individuals will pretend not to know their left from right and keep fighting.

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Duelee: 8:11am On Feb 15
Benia:
The country is ripe for it

Country was ripe since 1960s.

In the other news I'm presently buying LinkedIn accounts. WhatsApp on Siggy
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Uniquekriss(m): 8:13am On Feb 15
Jnas:
Will that put an end to the suffering in our street ?

Get a Super Professional Company Logo or Letterhead for Your Business for 2k only

Pay On Delivery

Drop us your Company name for your Logo
https://forms.gle/5r2Dfh7sfournhKy9
I want a logo and letterhead
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by ufotunang: 8:14am On Feb 15
delpee:
What is important is to cancel one of either Senate or HOR. We're spending too much on a few people in two different Chambers who are doing about the same thing.
..abi.. the house of reps should be scrapped out...I do not see any Important things they are doing
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Svoboda(m): 8:16am On Feb 15
AlexBells:
Presidential system is better, so you want few ministers to decide the head of state and government what happen to the people electing their leaders direct.

The parliamentarians decide the prime minister who is also the head of govt and not head of state. The head of state is largely ceremonial and can be elected thru a national suffrage. In South Africa, the president as the party leader is ratified thru the parliament when his party wins majority of the seats in the parliament. Its the same thing with the parliamentary system. He becomes pm because his party is the dominant party or the head of a coalition. He automatically is elected or even ratified as pm. Its a straight forward, peer review system.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Meti99(m): 8:17am On Feb 15
Let then submit their proposal to the almighty northern politicians for approval
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Uniquekriss(m): 8:17am On Feb 15
Jnas:
Will that put an end to the suffering in our street ?

Get a Super Professional Company Logo or Letterhead for Your Business for 2k only

Pay On Delivery

Drop us your Company name for your Logo
https://forms.gle/5r2Dfh7sfournhKy9
I want logo and letterhead
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by pacespot(m): 8:17am On Feb 15
Everybody is just fighting to increase their own power in this hell hole. Parliamentary simply transfers most of the presidential powers in the Presidential system to the legislature, not to the people. It didn't give any accountability to the people, in fact it takes power away from them because law makers can stay in office for as long as they want and they get to choose the Prime Minister that runs the country.

Have you seen any law makers deserving of such power in Nigeria today?

In the Presidential, people can still remove the president after the term limit, but parliamentary can shut that door to the people just by refusing to conduct general elections just like the case in UK for many years now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by HeroicMeastro: 8:20am On Feb 15
Chimarto:
How do we get our head of state elected? Is it similar to Israel and UK system?
What brings UK matter here?
Does the UK elect their Head of Govt?
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Winneepye: 8:24am On Feb 15
This is just a ploy to make the legislators more powerful than the president .Regionalism is the way to go for Nigeria. We like competition among ourselves let us start competing for development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by AlexBells(m): 8:31am On Feb 15
Svoboda:

The parliamentarians decide the prime minister who is also the head of govt and not head of state. The head of state is largely ceremonial and can be elected thru a national suffrage. In South Africa, the president as the party leader is ratified thru the parliament when his party wins majority of the seats in the parliament. Its the same thing with the parliamentary system. He becomes pm because his party is the dominant party or the head of a coalition. He automatically is elected or even ratified as pm. Its a straight forward, peer review system.
Prime minister depending on the arrangement is not elected directly by the people but by the ministers, this means that regions can hijack the system like seen in the first republic where a government could not be formed becuase of there being need for coalition. Even though the NCNC won the majority vote the couldn’t form the government becuase the party didn’t have the majority ministers that’s not supposed to be, that system gives more power for regional players to hold everyone hostage

1 Like

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Yankee101: 8:32am On Feb 15
They will be taken seriously the day they suggest thier seat in house of reps should be scrapped and we should have only senators
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Dearlord(m): 8:37am On Feb 15
What we need is good leader and not System of government.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by hotseat: 8:58am On Feb 15
These legislators might have genuine reasons for opting for a parliamentary system of government as against the presidential system which we currently operate.

However, like they say, "a bad workman always quarrels with his tools".

Whatever the system adopted, provided it's going to be operated by this same class of Nigerians, by rest assured that it would still run aground.

For anything to work positively in this country, there must be a complete change of the mindset of all Nigerians, particularly, the ruling class.

In Nigeria, being in a position of authority either by appointment or election, is seen as an opportunity to clean up the cookie jar instead of service to the people.

The problem is not the system but the polluted mindset of the average Nigerian!

There's simply no love for country!

Nigeria has become an Hobbesian state of nature.

It's now, like they say, "all man for himself".

No one truly cares about Nigeria/fellow Nigerians!

Therein lies the bane of Nigeria!

FACT!

@hotseat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Svoboda(m): 9:06am On Feb 15
AlexBells:

Prime minister depending on the arrangement is not elected directly by the people but by the ministers, this means that regions can hijack the system like seen in the first republic where a government could not be formed becuase of there being need for coalition. Even though the NCNC won the majority vote the couldn’t form the government becuase the party didn’t have the majority ministers that’s not supposed to be, that system gives more power for regional players to hold everyone hostage

Ministers are also members of the patliament. Its basically the same thing. I reiterated that prime ministerial position is only gotten thru the parliament and not thru the people. People vote for mps.

That said, whoever becomes head of the majority party after every congress automatically becomes head of govt, as seen in the uk and south africa. Its a very interesring system that abhors big man president that is a master of all he surveys.
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Crokky: 9:15am On Feb 15
As long as it's still this same crop of politicians and civil servants nothing will change
Re: 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System by Pinkybush: 9:16am On Feb 15
Faiththatworks:
There are some news I read these days that always leave me very very very puzzled.
I'm sorry for the detour from the topic,but I read a news yesterday and my mind couldn't understand it,some Northern House of Representatives members opposed a bill seeking to amend the constitution to allow only Only B.sc and HND holders contest for election to the post of the President and Governors.
Shame on all any Nigerian that still believes a school certificate holder,or a diploma is enough qualification to rule Nigeria.
I repeat again shame,shame,shame,shame on these people.
A diploma will only get you a bank teller job in a bank,an entry of level 6 into the civil service,but these people feel that kind of certificate is enough to rule Nigeria.
Anyone that's intellectually lazy to accquire a HND or B.Sc should never ever be allowed to be a governor,President or even a legislator.
Do these people understand how intelligent a president must be, someone who has to read and form opinions from reports he/she will receive from the NSA,from the CBN,From the NNPCL,from more than 30 Ministers,I mean the President must have an opinion on everything going on in the country and in 2024,a Northern Representative feels a Waec certificate or diploma is enough,shame on these people.
We must tell these Northern Representative that don't have any shame to have this kind of opinion.
Infact Nigerian youths should form a hashtag and shame these Northerns who have this infantile opinion.
Back to the Topic,I believe this is the best time for President Tinubu to have the balls to scatter and restructure Nigeria,he must quickly use these hard times to quickly restructure Nigeria.
Nigeria needs bold and quick reforms,I totally support this idea of a parliamentary system of government,I also read of the Minister of Power talking about State and Local Government having the license to generate and distribute power,that's another wonderful suggestions.
Infact the best time to introduce STATE and LOCAL POLICE is now, Asiwaju should use the excuse of No money In Nigeria to quickly restructure the country.
Nigerians are too hungry to protest especially those in the North.
God bless Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Dilapidated State Of Sango rd. Lagos-abeokuta Expressway(pics) / Yahaya Bello's Thug Confesses To Killing Ojo Enesi, In Okene - Natasha Akpoti / Army Hands Over Arrested TASUED Students To EFCC, Students Union Kicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.