Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC (28244 Views)

Politicians Have Enjoyed Enough, It’s Now People’s Turn – Otti / Betta Edu: Suspension Of A Minister Is A Rare Occurrence In Nigeria - BBC / Lagos Traffic Jams Disappear But This Isn't Good News For Nigeria - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by 7brigade: 1:12pm On Feb 15
Botragelad:
Tell these people to stop having too many kids. You keep popping out kids you can't look after then you moan about it.

Why wouldn't there be a rise in poverty and crime when the kids lose hope and resort to other ways to survive.
Bloody bastard u are,u dat u don't have any child ...to train ....how much do u got in ur account ... continue ....just continue
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by NuhuAjang71(m): 1:13pm On Feb 15
I did not vote Tinubu but, I thought he'd be 100% better than his predecessor, unfortunately, some of us were wrong.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Enemiesmasquera: 1:17pm On Feb 15
happney65:
In 2015. We told them in simple and basic English.

You do not remove a nagging wife which was GEJ and replace her with a road side prostitute. It was the analogy I gave them.

I told my friends voting for these people then that you do not on no occasion vote for a Buhari.

A Buhari is the road side prostitute who will sleep with your neighbors and friends.

Either you replace GEJ with someone better or you leave him there. The ones coming will make things worst for us. His antecedents are glaring.

But with stupid emotions,they didn't listen so some of us stayed away from the polls in 2015. I wasn't ready to vote for GEJ again,but it would be over my dead body I would vote for Buhari because I know who exactly he was.

Coming down to 2023, The one taking over from him was even worst than him. All he said was Emilokan. He never promised us anything whatsoever.

It was just about him and his EGO. While a candidate was telling you and telling us we have to move from consumption to production. Mr Emilokan proudly said " shey na statistics we go chop"

How a presidential candidate can say that and so callee educated people still voted and campaigned for him is one of the wonders of the 21st century

24hours before his inaguration. I said it in black and white on my status that he will be worst than Buhari. Apart from the fact that he said he would continue from where Buhari stopped, Himself and Buhari are nothing but birds of the same feather

The Economy that was the fastest growing in Africa when they got power,has turned to the poverty capital of the world and our people are now poorer than they have ever been since 1960

See,This is just the beginning. We haven't started and we haven't seen anything yet at all

Brace up fellow Nigerians!

Living in same country with fools in large number is very dangerous. There's every tendency that they always elect failures to rule them because of peanuts. That's the case of Nigeria. Only God can help us now out of this mess

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Lavor234: 1:18pm On Feb 15
Hunger games 1.0

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Mandela27: 1:19pm On Feb 15
NOGRUDGES:
Nigerians don dey drag food with alamajiri grin
wahala wahala wahala
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by ShoeGetSize: 1:20pm On Feb 15
May that anointing of stupidity and profound lack of wisdom never depart from you and your family for eternity.

greenermodels:
We're teaching Peter Obi and Obidients a lesson, even if a bag of rice sells for #100,000, we would still vote Tinubu for a second term.
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Exceed15: 1:25pm On Feb 15
Lol.... Kai this laugh sweet me ehn! Next time make una vote APC again.
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Tektronics12: 1:25pm On Feb 15
Bullshit ...
happney65:

You do not remove a nagging wife which was GEJ and replace her with a road side prostitute. It was the analogy I gave them.

I told my friends voting for these people then that you do not on no occasion vote for a Buhari.

A Buhari is the road side prostitute who will sleep with your neighbors and friends.

Either you replace GEJ with someone better or you leave him there. The ones coming will make things worst for us. His antecedents are glaring.

But with stupid emotions,they didn't listen so some of us stayed away from the polls in 2015. I wasn't ready to vote for GEJ again,but it would be over my dead body I would vote for Buhari because I know who exactly he was.

Coming down to 2023, The one taking over from him was even worst than him. All he said was Emilokan. He never promised us anything whatsoever.

It was just about him and his EGO. While a candidate was telling you and telling us we have to move from consumption to production. Mr Emilokan proudly said " shey na statistics we go chop"

How a presidential candidate can say that and so callee educated people still voted and campaigned for him is one of the wonders of the 21st century

24hours before his inaguration. I said it in black and white on my status that he will be worst than Buhari. Apart from the fact that he said he would continue from where Buhari stopped, Himself and Buhari are nothing but birds of the same feather

The Economy that was the fastest growing in Africa when they got power,has turned to the poverty capital of the world and our people are now poorer than they have ever been since 1960

See,This is just the beginning. We haven't started and we haven't seen anything yet at all

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Sicilyjoe: 1:28pm On Feb 15
This rice is 230-250 a cup currently is the cheapest rice u can get as now
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by themanderon: 1:29pm On Feb 15
The person that swore for Nigerians died a long time ago. Even if emilokan the drug Baron questionable certificate forger returns in 2027 you will still find dolts singing his praises and voting for him.
Make any plans you can to japa from this country. Nigerians ain't ready to help themselves as they are under a spell.
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by OPICANTO2223: 1:30pm On Feb 15
Am called a wailer, I agree. Now who is wailing more. Isorite. The flies that refused to hear follows corps to the grace.

E mi lo Kan
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Sctests: 1:31pm On Feb 15
coputa:
Stop repeating this senseless narrative in every thread,it doesn't make sense

It does. There is no need to sugarcoat the issue.
Nature should carry out its surgical operation in Nigeria, dead tissues and organs of the organism called should be removed regardless of the pains. Let the only the sensible and working 'structures' survive.

It's about time.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Knight247: 1:33pm On Feb 15
happney65:

all the blame should be on Jonathan he's a coward
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by youngrichnigga: 1:34pm On Feb 15
It shall never be well with Buhari and the accursed party, APC ......they've succeeded in taking Nigeria back many years into underdevelopment and unimaginable poverty just because of greed for power and control.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by happney65: 1:34pm On Feb 15
AkpaMgbor:

You’re a kindred spirit! The analogy I used back then in 2015 was that you can’t cut of your nose to spite your face. I told them that it was better to stay one place when in doubt than to start going backward, voting Jonathan may have caused us to stay one place( for a while) but voting buhari definitely was going to take us backwards. The antecedents was there, you didn’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out. There’s no justifiable reason for anyone born before or after buhari’s stint as a military head of state to say he or she didn’t know about the man. His history was in plain white and black for all to know and make a sound voting choice.

Thank you. His antecedents were in public for all to see.

The same way he did in 83 is the same in 2015.

I am not even angry against Buhari. The Man that brought him who is now President is no different from him. He is even worst than him in all ramifications

The mistake of 2015 will take a very very long time for us to remake

Welcome to the new Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by tnerro1(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15
When I saw the headline, I knew it would be northerners , when someone has 12 to 20 children, how will he manage. Tinubu must do another term , maybe he will reset some people’s brains but I seriously doubt it.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Ezzymadu: 1:35pm On Feb 15
IPOB BBC abi ??
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by themanderon: 1:35pm On Feb 15
Exceed15:
Lol.... Kai this laugh sweet me ehn! Next time make una vote APC again.

The majority didn't vote Apc. Those ones have shown they are not ready for free and fair election so Nigerians may have to take it by force from them
The Bible said when the righteous are on the throne the people rejoice but when the wicked are to there the people groan.
APC has given Nigeria back-to-back devils as presidents but the current one is on another level when it comes to being nothing but pure undiluted evil.

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by pquaver(m): 1:37pm On Feb 15
happney65:

Blackmail always blackmail.. if gej stayed it would have been same story, it was already heading that direction.. Yesterday decisions determined today and that included your GEJ..

Maybe okonjo iweala was speaking French when she was warning us..

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/171145-brace-tougher-times-ahead-okonjo-iweala-tells-nigerians.html

Same thing they are telling you too now that this your obi is not a messiah... You dont want to hear... Is what u are accussing fellow nigerians of.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by tenpipsperday: 1:37pm On Feb 15
gratiaeo:
If Tinubu can fight Fulani bandits disrupting farmers across Nigeria things wouldn't have been this bad but he's pampering them because of politics

Greed won't let him
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Akwamkpuruamu: 1:41pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

Because at the end our tax to gdp is low, and less than 20% of our government income comes from taxes..and less than 30% of taxable Nigerians pay taxes.

Oil, which accounts for 80% of our income is too volatile to serve as as stable base of income

Either we face reality, or we keep relying on oil, which means more borrowing when prices crash or are too low for us.

Seems you choose more borrowing.

The Tax already been paid, what has it been used for? To buy presidential yacht, carry 1000 people to Dubai, Private visit in France, 500m for 37 man committee etc. Does this justify meticulous use of taxes?

The government of the day lacks empathy and thrives more frivolities and partying while telling the citieto suffer while they enjoy

3 Likes

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Konquest: 1:42pm On Feb 15
NLCreator:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68272830
As the rising cost of living continues to bite, many in northern Nigeria are turning to rice grains that millers normally reject after processing or sell to farmers to feed their fish.

These are referred to in the Hausa language, widely spoken in the north, as afafata, which means "battling" because they are literally a battle to cook and eat as the grains are so hard.

"A few years ago, people didn't care about this type of rice, and we usually threw it away along with the rice hulls, but times have changed," Isah Hamisu, a rice mill worker in the northern city of Kano, told the BBC.

Despite the grains being broken, dirty and tough, afafata's cheaper price has made it more attractive for humans and helped poorer families to be able to afford to eat one of the staple foods in the country.

Fish farm owner Fatima Abdullahi said her fish love it but because people are now eating afafata, its price has risen.

Prices in Nigeria are increasing at their fastest rate for nearly 30 years. On top of global pressures, President Bola Tinubu's cancellation of the fuel subsidy plus the devaluation of the currency, the naira, have added to inflation.

A standard 50kg (110lb) bag of rice, which could help feed a household of between eight and 10 for about a month, now costs 77,000 naira ($53; £41). This is an increase of more than 70% since the middle of last year and exceeds the monthly income of a majority of Nigerians.

~~~~
//////
//////
My Takes on this:

Northern Nigeria (including Kano) is the major hub for improved rice cultivation and milling. How come this is happening?... Well investigations ALSO show that middlemen are engaged in rampant greed and profiteering. There is also the smuggling of Northern Nigeria-grown rice to Niger Republic and other neighboring countries to maximize profit.

This is another aspect where the inherent greed in some Nigerians in undermining they total welfare of a vast number of Nigerian folks.

Even when Mohammed Buhari from Daura in Katsina State was the President of Nigeria, very greedy and highly dishonest Katsina rice farmers were selling or smuggling bags of milled Nigerian rice (grown with money from the Anchor Borrower's Program) to Niger Republic to maximize profits as reported in the online and offline media space!

The governments at Federal and State levels must immediately move in to introduce major price control measures with whistleblower telephone lines in each state and local government to report ANYBODY hoarding and selling commodities beyond an approved upper limit.

Second, all illegal checkpoints must be eradicated with special phone numbers in each state to report such cases of illegal extortions of food trucks and trailers by alleged uniformed security men.

Third, like I earlier stated in past posts, massive deployment of surveillance and attack drones must be made in well-known crime hotspots to prevent and eliminate the criminals and kidnapping cartels disturbing commercial and small farmers, and travelers of major highways. This is NOT rocket science, and can be done!
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by FireUpNow(m): 1:44pm On Feb 15
For the our not learning from the past as Nigerians, this serve those who were singing emilokan and Jagaban at the mountain top. People don dey bite dust. I dey laugh since their master strategist, a fist class graduate of accounting from the almighty CSU. Make everyone of you dey form big boy online and dieing in silence. How far my Agbado crew? I believe say the prices of food commodities including rice is so cheap for you people 🤣😀😆😃
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by nairalanda1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 15
Akwamkpuruamu:

The Tax already been paid, what has it been used for? To buy presidential yacht, carry 1000 people to Dubai, Private visit in France, 500m for 37 man committee etc. Does this justify meticulous use of taxes?

Tax to gdp is 10% TOo low.
Less than 30% of taxable nigerians pay tax

OGA, I IN NO WAY defend or say that government doing all those things is right. They should not do all those things really because if you understood what I am saying you would see we DONT have the cash to do that.

The government of the day lacks empathy and thrives more frivolities and partying while telling the citieto suffer while they enjoy
[/quote]

Yeah, it is sad, but at the end, if we cut government spending, AND WE SHOULD, it won't solve much. We got to earn more money, and government has to be more sensitive, responsible, and spend prudently and without corruption.

I am not an APC supporter, oga. If you think I am, better get corrected now.
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by tenpipsperday: 1:45pm On Feb 15
Botragelad:
Tell these people to stop having too many kids. You keep popping out kids you can't look after then you moan about it.

Why wouldn't there be a rise in poverty and crime when the kids lose hope and resort to other ways to survive.

Only the families with many children are suffering right?

We know a fool when he joins the discussion
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Konquest: 1:46pm On Feb 15
pquaver:

Blackmail always blackmail.. if gej stayed it would have been same story, it was already heading that direction.. Yesterday decisions determined today and that included your GEJ..

Maybe okonjo iweala was speaking French when she was warning us..

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/171145-brace-tougher-times-ahead-okonjo-iweala-tells-nigerians.html

Same thing they are telling you too now that this your obi is not a messiah... You dont want to hear... Is what u are accussing fellow nigerians of.
Nicely put.
Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by coputa(m): 1:47pm On Feb 15
Sctests:

It does. There is no need to sugarcoat the issue.
Nature should carry out its surgical operation in Nigeria, dead tissues and organs of the organism called should be removed regardless of the pains. Let the only the sensible and working 'structures' survive.

It's about time.
Does votes really counts in Nigeria, instead the positions are given to the highest bidder.

The electoral umpires and the judiciary are to be blamed and not the common Nigerian that casted their votes for good governance.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Codes151(m): 1:48pm On Feb 15
BBC AFRICA.. we need to beat this handler...
UK get alot of challenges but no be everything them dey put for media...

whats with u guys?

u keep devaluing ur country with mouth... is UK even better than NIgeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:55pm On Feb 15
Rutherford2019:
One day Biafra will leave Yoruba and Hausa to continue with their Nigeria
We are going home

That day can’t come soon enough! It’s so annoying that i’m sharing the same country with bigots who’re prepared to cut their nose to spite their face….all because they lust for power and want to prevent a Igbo from being president!

1 Like

Re: Hardship: People Turn To 'Throw-away' Rice For Food In Nigeria - BBC by Moniya4Real(m): 1:57pm On Feb 15
Na wa for you o. But aren’t Almajiris Nigerians?

NOGRUDGES:
Nigerians don dey drag food with alamajiri grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Keyamo To Obi: You Played The Most Divisive Religious Politics & Lost D Election / Gunmen Kill Five Policemen, Couple In Imo / Bill Gates Visits Fashola. PICS....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.