Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,211 members, 7,829,345 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly (8538 Views)

Civil Servants Demand N907,000 Minimum Wage, Give Reasons / Yuguda: A Certain President Chose Not To Remove Subsidy To Protect His Life / Rising Crude Price Pushes Petrol Subsidy To ₦16 Billion Per Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 1:55pm On Feb 15
RepoMan007:
You are well known to reply to assumptions you made up in your head so can sound intelligent irrespective of reality.
If corruption can remain, let subsidy remain too. That's my position.

ANd both would eat up our income and wreck it.

Corruption needs to be fought...but subsidy has been a big reason why we have huge deficits in the budget, which have to be filled with loans, and is why we are ironically in the situation were debt eats most of our income.

P.S

You still do not realize that you were very abusive to me most of the time, and I ask that you apologise for that. Abusing others does not make you a mature man, it makes you sound like a child. If you were older than me, I won;t have much respect for you. If you were younger, I would even rightly disregard you.

You acted and behaved badly towards me on this site. Either you apologise before we can continue, or I simply ignore you. Thanks.

You are free to laugh at me, and disregard this message, and I am not going to take corrections from you because you are in the wrong, and if you have a conscience, you know it.

Good afternoon.

(FIN).
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by seborrhic: 2:20pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

The way the government is going, they would force him to sell that low.

Nigerians want cheap fuel.
Rather Nigerians cannot afford market reflective fuel price.No Nation can afford market reflective fuel price if as a middle class earner with a car,you have to use half of your salary to just fill your tank that would last you for just a week or as a minimum wage earner your salary,untouched cannot transport you through half of the month to your place of work.
The American cannot afford it,the Japanese,German,Chinese and English cannot yesterday,today and tomorrow.
The issue is that our earning/purchasing power of the average Nigerian is not just low,but is unsurvivable on.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 2:23pm On Feb 15
seborrhic:

Rather Nigerians cannot afford market reflective fuel.No Nation can afford market reflective fuel if as a middle class earner with a car,you have to use half of your salary to just fill your tank that would last you for just a week or as a minimum wage earner your salary,untouched cannot transport you through half of the month to your place of work.
The American cannot afford it,the Japanese,German,Chinese and English cannot yesterday,today and tomorrow.
The issue is that our purchasing power is not just low,but is unsurvivable on.

True, but on the other hand, making fuel cheap is one of the reasons why we have a huge debt profile, and issues with raising income right now.

All those countries you mentoned also pay high taxes and have diversified economies, which is why they can to some extent afford subsides, and even then fuel can be expensive (UK even puts tax on top of the thing).

Nigeria does not even earn enough from taxes to fund a subsidy adequately. OIl money is not enough. The corruption that our leaders do is even awful, and shows insensitivty self.

Yet, no matter what we do, neither we nor any of the countries can do anything about the cost of fuel.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by depure(m): 2:32pm On Feb 15
femisplash:

Stop being crudely conspiratorial, subsidy is unconstitutional and illegal by virtue of Petroleum Industry Act signed into law in 2022. As a crude oil producing country, we have no business paying subsidy on fuel much less importing refined fuel. Past regimes that deliberately looked away for over four decades while four refineries rot away are liable. I would have hoped that two or more private investors could have also taken the initiative than have only Dangote at the forefront.
English too much
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by seborrhic: 2:47pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

True, but on the other hand, making fuel cheap is one of the reasons why we have a huge debt profile, and issues with raising income right now.

All those countries you mentoned also pay high taxes and have diversified economies, which is why they can to some extent afford subsides, and even then fuel can be expensive (UK even puts tax on top of the thing).

Nigeria does not even earn enough from taxes to fund a subsidy adequately. OIl money is not enough. The corruption that our leaders do is even awful, and shows insensitivty self.

Yet, no matter what we do, neither we nor any of the countries can do anything about the cost of fuel.
Oga,stop looking at fuel price in isolation.
A gallon of fuel(4litres,$3.5) is about 0.25% of the average American,Westerner or Chinese income.In Nigeria it is 4% or 20 times what those people pay compared to income!
If the Nigerian is earning 1 million instead of 100k,he can afford to buy fuel at market reflective 6000-8000/galore and meet up with other basic needs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by DARLINGTON869(m): 3:06pm On Feb 15
Him for remove the subsidy na. Shey him wan form jagaban.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 3:07pm On Feb 15
seborrhic:

Oga,stop looking at fuel price in isolation.
A gallon of fuel(4litres,$3.5) is about 0.25% of the average American,Westerner or Chinese income.In Nigeria it is 4% or 20 times what those people pay compared to income!
If the Nigerian is earning 1 million instead of 100k,he can afford to buy fuel at market reflective 6000-8000/galore and meet up with other basic needs

I am not looking at fuel price in isolation, I am observing that it has an impact on our overall income as a whole.

We do not earn as the Americans, Chinese or so forth, so we don't have the income to subsidise. It is a harsh truth, but our failures to diversify and go industrial and improve tax collection is why we are in the situation we are in

Any more subsides, and we would pay for it in debt. Heavily.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by criuze(m): 3:35pm On Feb 15
Surviving each day in Nigeria is an absolute miracle

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by Uncletony(m): 3:51pm On Feb 15
Bobo Chicago
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by IbeOkehie: 4:43pm On Feb 15
criuze:
Surviving each day in Nigeria is an absolute miracle

Go to UK or USA and you will see real wahala.

Nigeria is blessed.

Good Luck to UK.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by malali: 4:58pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

It has not gone, because the government is too scared to sell fuel above N1000 per liter. Too scared.

If they sell it at 1000naira there would be a revolution in Nigeria.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by Growing(m): 5:29pm On Feb 15
"There is subsidy."

"There is no subsidy."

Are they intentionally sowing deception?

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by marenkurz: 6:27pm On Feb 15
Whether I'm a fan or not, we can both agree he is the president until 2027. You can't do anything about it, except of course death or assassination.
Seat down, be humble!!!

Sicklebear28:

You are a fan of Tinubu...your last statement says so grin grin
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by Elxandre(m): 7:42pm On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

Meaning by ending of Feb, we would have spent close to N2 trillion on subsidy, and if oil prices remain steady, and consumption figures go up...because it is much higher than 50m liters...we would reach somewhere around 12 trillion this year.

Ghana has two refineries by the way. IN Niger,it is probably above N1000 and they got a refinery.

Smuggling is back by the by.
It is not "1000" in Ghana.
That's a simplistic way to view it when the problem is simply our exchange rate.
If $1 was 500 Naira, petrol would be under 500 naira.

Our crazy exchange rate is the issue not the subsidy per say.
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by nairalanda1(m): 8:35pm On Feb 15
Elxandre:

It is not "1000" in Ghana.
That's a simplistic way to view it when the problem is simply our exchange rate.
If $1 was 500 Naira, petrol would be under 500 naira.

Our crazy exchange rate is the issue not the subsidy per say.

Maybe, but one dollar is not 500 naira now.

We are in a right tight spot now. I blame the government, but it does not make things better instantly
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by jojothaiv(m): 11:14pm On Feb 15
Nigeria is an exhausting topic...
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by criuze(m): 11:54am On Feb 16
IbeOkehie:

Go to UK or USA and you will see real wahala.

Nigeria is blessed.

Good Luck to UK.

Not sure it is so for their citizens

In Nigeria the people live in every day hell
Re: Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly by ivandragon: 2:47pm On Feb 18
If the root causes of what made subsidy unsustainable is not tackled, nothing will work right.

In the first place, there is no way nigeria uses 50m litres of pms daily. Is it every day people fill up thier car tanks?

That is one area that needs to be tackled.

Check the security agents/agencies that extort the tanker drivers.

Ensure roads are motorable. Improve the transport system. Create rail tracks specially designed for haulage between major towns.

Open a separate and well monitored fx window for pms importers. It can still be used for those who buy from dangote.

Eliminate unnecessary charges in the distribution line.

Beef up border security to check smuggling and other criminal activities.

Encourage modular refineries since the FG can't get its own refineries to work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy And Exchange Rate / Sokoto, Enugu, Imo Govs Join Catholic Bishop Of Umuahia For "Iri Ji Mbaise Festi / Osinbajo Advocates Videoconferencing Software For Nigerian Courts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.