Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) (55556 Views)

Lockdown: I Visited Shoprite In Ikeja And It Was Empty (Photos, Video) / Court Seals Shoprite In Umuahia Over Loan Default (photos) / This Nigerian Man And His Friends Slept At Shoprite In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by amazingspiderma: 3:15pm On Feb 19
Serve SA right, they are always trying to prove close ties with China while always criticizing the West.

The end of ShopRite has come. Welcome to the age of Sharprite.

1 Like

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 3:22pm On Feb 19
worksmart:
Fun fact: Shoprite is owned by white Racist White South Africans.

I would rather patronize the Chinese Sharprite store. smiley
As if Chinese people aren't racist towards blacks
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 3:24pm On Feb 19
MzansiCoolio:
'SHARP' MEANS 'THUMBS UP' IN SOUTH AFRICA

Social media is abuzz after some people found it weird that just opposite the popular retailer Shoprite on Robert Sobukwe street in Sunnyside, Pretoria, there is a store named Sharprite.

While some see it as “pushing your luck” due to the familiarity, some think the competition between Shoprite and Sharprite is welcomed.

TimesLIVE visited both supermarkets on Wednesday.

As one stands outside the door of Sharprite and looks on the “sharp right” turn, opposite the street you find Shoprite.

Inside Sharprite, the store boasts about eight aisles stocked with everything from sugar, bedding essentials to water taps. But what sets the store apart from Shoprite is that many of their products are offered in bulk.

Sharprite also has no fridges in store so there are no refrigerated items in stock.

During TimesLIVE’s visit to the store, a man who wanted to buy a cold drink turned back empty-handed after inquiring about the fridge aisle for the drinks and he was told there are no fridges there.

Besides sounding similar, there are other similarities between the two shops. Both have their names written in bold red, Shoprite has a white outline to its text. Sharprite also has a big yellow smiling emoji in front, displaying a ‘sharp’ or thumbs-up gesture.

A bottle of 2l cooking oil at Sharprite starts from as little as R43.99 [vs R59.99 Ritebrand Sunflower Seed Oil 2L at Shoprite], while a carton of six milk 1lt boxes starts from as little as R89.99 [Ritebrand R98.99]. A 10kg bag of flour costs R127.99 at Sharprite, while similar flour of the same size costs a few cents more at Shoprite at R129.99.

While in the area, TimesLIVE noticed that a lot of the foot traffic is at the Shoprite as people buy daily essentials, including cold drinks and water. A few people also entered Sharprite to buy tools and other essentials.

While Shoprite, which is one of Africa’s leading brands is owned by South African, Christo Wiese, TimesLIVE understands that Sharprite is Chinese-owned.
The store has extended its reach from Pretoria and is also found in Middelburg, Mpumalanga province.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2024-02-14-its-just-a-sharp-right-turn-from-sharprite-to-shoprite/
Actually according to law this is called "passing off" and it's not legal. The wording sounds like Shoprite including the logo

1 Like

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 3:26pm On Feb 19
amazingspiderma:
Serve SA right, they are always trying to prove close ties with China while always criticizing the West.

The end of ShopRite has come. Welcome to the age of Sharprite.
Relax, This cheap China shop won't survive 2 months, the real Shoprite will lodge a complaint
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by EKOSuperior(m): 3:29pm On Feb 19
This is passing off in law. Shoprite has an action in law.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by worksmart(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19
China has done nothing to us Africans compared to what whites have done and are still doing.
IronGalaxy:
As if Chinese people aren't racist towards blacks
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 3:37pm On Feb 19
worksmart:
China has done nothing to us Africans compared to what whites have done and are still doing.
But The Chinese are still racist towards black people in general, that';s the crux of my argument.

1 Like

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by frankchina(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19
CoronaVirusPro:
China will clone anything!

What is “sharprite”

Those dwarfs will steal anything, and it will never be as good as that of the owner.

And so what, what has the black giants done since time immemorial 🤣🤣.
Chinese is the future 🚶🚶🚶
If u doubt it come to China and see for urself 😜
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by Rejoice28(f): 3:42pm On Feb 19
Friends Jesus Christ loves y'all and he want you to accept him as your personal lord and saviour by giving your life to Christ, believing in him and repenting of your sins.remember tomorrow might be too late. Shalom
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by worksmart(m): 3:42pm On Feb 19
I don't agree, Of course there must be some racist individuals but a lot of what you hear about their racism is western propaganda.
IronGalaxy:
But The Chinese are still racist towards black people in general, that';s the crux of my argument.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 3:45pm On Feb 19
worksmart:
I don't agree, Of course there must be some racist individuals but a lot of what you hear about their racism is western propaganda.
Bro you are naive. Go with a white companion to Asia and see how differently you'll be treated from him, it's not propaganda it's reality, every race thinks it's better than black people and white supremacy thrives in Asia especially my friend, but hey

2 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by AllenSpencer: 3:52pm On Feb 19
shortgun:
Some uninformed people will say the Chinese store is fake but in reality it's actually innovative.
This is one of the strategies used by businesses to get a share of the market.

Which quack buisinesses do that ?

Did Dell imitate HP or Lenovo
Did Boeing imitate Airbus
Did Microsoft imitate Chromium
Did Ericsson imitate Nokia or Alcatel

Hello! Chinese will steal anything down to the brand name. It’s a culture!

2 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 3:58pm On Feb 19
CoronaVirusPro:
China will clone anything!

What is “sharprite”

Those dwarfs will steal anything, and it will never be as good as that of the owner.
Dey there they lament, that is what makes them one of the biggest economies in the world if not the biggest.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:02pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

Are all those brands you are quoting not using the same softwares? The difference is just the brand names.
Chinese are copying and they are developed. Let your country also copy and develop! It is better than backwardness!
Instead na only mouth una get, ordinary tooth pick una dey import.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by shortgun(m): 4:04pm On Feb 19
Originalsly:

If someone asks who is Jesus?.... should I send him to read the entire Bible?... should I tell him the entire history of Jesus? I should be able to define him in just a few sentences. If someone is thirsty and needs water ... you need not empty the entire cabinet... bring out plate... dish... knife and fork .... just bring out a glass ... that will serve the purpose ... he doesn't have to know and can careless about what else is in the cabinet. Hope you get my drift.
Using your analogy;What happens when you tell the person who Jesus is and the persons disagrees with you and says you wrong.?
What will you do when he consistently and ignorantly disagrees with you over and over again?
Will you devote your lifetime trying to convince him?.. a lost course?
Nah, I'll still pass
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by AllenSpencer: 4:06pm On Feb 19
CluelessMODS:

Are all those brands you are quoting not using the same softwares? The difference is just the brand names.
Chinese are copying and they are developed. Let your country also copy and develop! It is better than backwardness!

Same software? Who told you that?

Have you installed a HP driver on Dell before? Oh! So you believe Airbus and Boeing are running on same software?

Smh….

1 Like

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:07pm On Feb 19
IronGalaxy:
Actually according to law this is called "passing off" and it's not legal. The wording sounds like Shoprite including the logo
Who says "pass off" is not legal?
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by shortgun(m): 4:09pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

Do you know apple copied the tablet PC from Microsoft and named it iPad?
Do you know that Google copied searche engine concept from Yahoo?
Whats the difference between whatsapp and Telegram?
Are all internet browsers not a copy of each other?
The is is endless. In the business world it's called innovation not copying or faking

1 Like

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:11pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

Have you installed a HP driver on Dell before? Oh! So you believe Airbus and Boeing are running on same software?

Smh….
Lmao oga...the basics are all the same, each company can now modify their own.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:13pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

Smh….
Even if they are different, Chinese copied them and it has developed their economy. And so what?
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by AllenSpencer: 4:15pm On Feb 19
shortgun:

Do you know apple copied the tablet PC from Microsoft and named it iPad?
Do you know that Google copied searche engine concept from Yahoo?
Whats the difference between whatsapp and Telegram?
Are all internet browsers not a copy of each other?
The is is endless. In the business world it's called innovation not copying or faking

What did China innovate. It’s never better than the original.

You said Apple copied Microsoft. Did Apple run on a similar OS with Windows? Hello! They are world apart.

Apple got a good market share based on its innovation and it still stands till date. Being competitive is not by stealing, and that’s why they never better in anything.

Always lost, and why it’s always cheaper and substandard.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by AllenSpencer: 4:20pm On Feb 19
CluelessMODS:

Lmao oga...the basics are all the same, each company can now modify their own.

That’s to a layman.

You would always believe a Nike Airforce 1 is same as Nikke.

Don’t tell me a Geely and a Toyota are same.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:23pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

That’s to a layman.

Oga leave the issue of soft ware or no soft ware, that is not the basis of discussion.
Is it not better to copy and develop than to remain backward? Answer that please.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 4:23pm On Feb 19
CluelessMODS:

Who says "pass off" is not legal?
Well it's not in my country
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by shortgun(m): 4:23pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

That’s to a layman.

Don’t tell me a Geely and a Toyota are same
Actually,alot of vehicles from different manufacturers share the same engine and parts
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CJStarz: 4:24pm On Feb 19
This year, China no gree for South Africa
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:26pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

That’s to a layman.

You are not even getting my point. Whether Geely and Toyota are the same, the fact remains that the same principle of car production were used for both, each company will now modify her own to taste. I bet you are not a science inclined.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CluelessMODS: 4:32pm On Feb 19
shortgun:

Actually,alot of vehicles from different manufacturers share the same engine and parts
The dude is not science inclined, he just wants argue blindly.

1 Like

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by shortgun(m): 4:35pm On Feb 19
AllenSpencer:

What did China innovate. It’s never better than the original.

You said Apple copied Microsoft. Did Apple run on a similar OS with Windows? Hello! They are world apart.

Apple got a good market share based on its innovation and it still stands till date. Being competitive is not by stealing, and that’s why they never better in anything.

Always lost, and why it’s always cheaper and substandard.

Don't say this out of ignorance. Innovation is not only focused on the product.
Improving a products distribution channel is innovation,
a better storage facility is innovation,
a cheaper version of the same product is innovation, a cost effective production is innovation, a new marketing strategy is innovation, increase in the volume of sales is innovation....the list is endless

There's a difference between invention and innovation
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by AllenSpencer: 4:37pm On Feb 19
CluelessMODS:

You are not even getting my point. Whether Geely and Toyota are the same, the fact remains that the same principle of car production were used for both, each company will now modify her own to taste. I bet you are not a science inclined.

Same principle but you can always identify theft!

Everyone see it when China copies and why they always struggling to modify or compete.

After stealing across all boards, where have they stood strong? Aviation, Automobile, Medicine or space technology.

They cannot go past their level cos they always imitate.

The technological ideology of Toyota and Mercedes are far different. Airbus and Boeing have unique features that makes them competitive. Apple and Windows are world apart and staying competitive.

With all that China has copied, where has it been competitive on world stage.
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by AllenSpencer: 4:45pm On Feb 19
shortgun:

Don't say this out of ignorance. Innovation is not only focused on the product.
Improving a products distribution channel is innovation,
a better storage facility is innovation,
a cheaper version of the same product is innovation, a cost effective production is innovation, a new marketing strategy is innovation, increase in the volume of sales is innovation....the list is endless

There's a difference between invention and innovation

It’s not hidden that China steals technology. I don’t know what point you trying to prove here.

China has a version of anything, and the copy is always visible.

Do I need to tell you Huawei itself was a copy of Alcatel
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by frog12: 5:02pm On Feb 19
Real ghetto

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Folorunso Alakija As A 7-Year-Old In 1951 With Her Sister (Throwback Photo) / GTBank’s Segun Agbaje Spends $200,000 On New Mercedes Maybach / How To Start Profitable Okrika Business In Nigeria: All You Need To Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.