Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,993 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System (8532 Views)

Elder Statesman, Aminu Dantata Backs Transition To Parliamentary System / 60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System / House Of Representatives Wants Nigeria Returned To Parliamentary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by IgOga(m): 3:52pm On Feb 16
shocked shocked shocked

That won't solve Nigeria's problems.

We must allow states to have full autonomy. Make contributions to the Federal government...not the other way round
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by porthouse7(f): 3:56pm On Feb 16
RingRoadCartel:
Tinubu and his government are inadvertently inviting the military to take over.
so that they will hand over to obi? The man already achieved his lifetime dream
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by porthouse7(f): 3:58pm On Feb 16
mrvitalis:
Parliamentary system would get raid of people like tinubu they won't even be able to near power

You have to debate your idea weekly no running away

Peter obi would have been drilling Tinubu every week

Atiku and obi would have eceb formed coalition government even
election sifia pains still Dey worry dis one
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 3:58pm On Feb 16
Shikena:
Too many assumptions again grin
You assume you know more than people based on casual online conversation while at work? Besides, how is knowing more a big deal? grin grin
Also, where is the INSULT? Interesting.

Lastly, the premises of my opinion here is not EXCLUSIVELY based on 'resource control'. That's an assumption on your part to fit the model that you have created for this debate. I even shared online resources here to buttress that.

Exactly why I said it seems you have no idea what you are talking about and clearly an inability to read and comprehend. If resource control and derivation is not a fundamental part of the change then what do you acheive? How is it similar to what we had 1960-66? Parliamentary system in name only just like we have presidential system in name only? Is it that you do not understand that these 2 pillars were the anchor and foundations of the progress of the 1960-66 era of which we are now nostalgic?

With due respect, I am getting irritated now. I engage on Nairaland to enlighten, sometimes it’s not the person I am engaging that gets enlightened many read without commenting. I think I have spelt out the issues in plain English.

I am done on this topic. I am not interested in people happy to change lanes to appear to do something while ultimately going nowhere!

1 Like

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Shikena(m): 4:11pm On Feb 16
Oh, here comes the insults?Grandeur issues to tantrums? grin

At least we got somewhere but still need to be clear about the differences between these systems (this goes beyond derivation/resource control) and why the presidential system enables the factors inhibiting an effective approach towards sustainable performance across key sectors. All with clear understanding of the Nigerian situation.

casualobserver:

Exactly why I said it seems you have no idea what you are talking about and clearly an inability to read and comprehend. If resource control and derivation is not a fundamental change then what do you acheive? How is it similar to what we had 1960-66? Parliamentary system in name only just like we have presidential system in name only?

With due respect, I am getting irritated now. I engage on Nairaland to enlighten, sometimes it’s not the person I am engaging that gets enlightened many read without commenting. I think I have spelt out the issues in plain English.

I am done on this topic.

1 Like

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 4:19pm On Feb 16
Shikena:
Oh, here comes the insults?Grandeur issues to tantrums? grin

At least we got somewhere but still need to be clear about the differences between these systems (this goes beyond derivation/resource control) and why the presidential system enables the factors inhibiting an effective approach towards sustainable performance across key sectors. All with clear understanding of the Nigerian situation.

You exemplify why I am an advocate for teaching Nigerians in their native languages. Read my posts again 10 times if need be of English is a problem. Your issues have been addressed.

I told you I am done please stop disturbing me with mentions.

1 Like

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by BondRiv: 4:19pm On Feb 16
Chasing shadows.
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by codemaniacs: 4:20pm On Feb 16
casualobserver:
Nigerians like running around in circles avoiding the real issues. When we had parliamentary system we failed, we tried presidential, it has failed…what is the common denominator…..Nigerians! Every time we have an election they want to amen the electoral act, we have one of the best in the world but they still want to amend, what is the common denominator….Nigerians. We have all sorts of laws but the country does not work, what is the common denominator……Nigerians! We had regional government, the same people who abolished it are the ones calling to regional government 60 yrs later. We had secession clause, the same people that opposed it are the ones calling for referendum.

We can a,mend laws and systems all we like but we can’trun away from ourselves. When we are ready to deal with our real issues…..our Nigerian traits, our Pysche, they should let us know.

It was not "Nigerians" it was i:gbos that abolished regionalism and are demanding for it again and it was them that rejected secession clause and are demanding it again.

it is not a "Nigerian" trait it is an "i:gbo" trait.

be specific.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by sulaak(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16
Shikena:
Well, issues like that are always up for debate. We have better clarity in retrospect, same way we see slave trade today compared with those who lived through it.

In my opinion, I think Ironsi (a typical Nigerian military officer "out to enforce sanity" ) had good intention but sometimes "GOOD is relative" and a matter of perspective.

Ironsi was not qualified to be a major general or the head of the Nigerian army; in the 1960s, he was a Lt-Colonel. In retrospect, we should have kept the British officers class as head of the Nigerian army for 10 years.

As soon as power moved to Nigerians, the consequence was a military coup by inexperienced junior officers, followed by indecisiveness from the COAS - Ironsi.

In 1965, Aguiyi-Ironsi was promoted to the rank of major general. The same year, Major General C.B. Welby-Everard handed over his position as the general officer Commanding, GOC of the entire Nigerian Army to Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi, which made him the first Nigeria indigenous officer to head the entire Nigerian Army.[

Aguiyi-Ironsi inherited a Nigeria that was deeply fractured by its ethnic and religious cleavages. None of the high-profile victims of the 1966 coup was of Igbo extraction, and the main beneficiaries of the coup were Igbo. Those facts led the north the country to believe that it had been an Igbo conspiracy. Though Aguiyi-Ironsi tried to dispel that notion by courting the aggrieved ethnic groups through political appointments and patronage, his failure to punish the coup plotters and the promulgation of the now-infamous "Decree No. 34", which abrogated the country's federal structure in exchange for a unitary one, crystallized the conspiracy theory
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Shikena(m): 4:24pm On Feb 16
grin
You sound hurt... why?
Maybe your model is not as efficient as you assume but that shouldn't be enough ground for frustration at the very first hint of challenge. It wasn't even a challenge, just less than 100% conformity & thinking of it, you may actually make more sense in your native language though grin

casualobserver:

You exemplify why I am an advocate for teaching Nigerians in their native languages. Read my posts again 10 times if need be of English is a problem. Your issues have been addressed.

I told you I am done please stop disturbing me with mentions.
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Haaland21: 4:29pm On Feb 16
mrvitalis:
Parliamentary system would get raid of people like tinubu they won't even be able to near power

You have to debate your idea weekly no running away

Peter obi would have been drilling Tinubu every week

Atiku and obi would have eceb formed coalition government even

We saw what he did in Anambra.....If you have forgotten.....we wont forget.

Jokers
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by mrvitalis(m): 4:30pm On Feb 16
Haaland21:

We saw what he did in Anambra.....If you have forgotten.....we wont forget.

Jokers

How can we forget

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 4:30pm On Feb 16
codemaniacs:

It was not "Nigerians" it was i:gbos that abolished regionalism and are demanding for it again and it was them that rejected secession clause and are demanding it again.

it is not a "Nigerian" trait it is an "i:gbo" trait.

be specific.

Every region played its part which is why it is a Nigerian thing. The yorubas played their part in the conflicts of ego, cult of personality inability to agree to disagree and respect differences that gave an excuse for a coup which almost repeated itself with Osinabajo/Tinubu. The ibos played their part as you said and the north who held on to resources of others are the ones now championing restructuring because all it has done is impoverish them. So it’s a Nigerian problem. We are all reminiscing with nostalgia to a period when things worked but failed because we are Nigerians. The problem wasn’t the system then, nor is it the system now, the problem is our insincerity as Nigerians….all of us!

We never go back to look at where we went wrong and our roles but instead feel changing lanes with solve anything. He who is not a student of history is condemned to repeat the mistakes of the past. Nigerians never learn because they forget history and repeat the same mistakes.

2 Likes

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Haaland21: 4:49pm On Feb 16
mrvitalis:

How can we forget

Okay...he should have stayed back in the Dubai he created now.

What is his business in Lagos?

Jokers......

Try again in 2047
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by codemaniacs: 4:49pm On Feb 16
casualobserver:

Every region played its part which is why it is a Nigerian thing. The yorubas played their part in the conflicts of ego, cult of personality inability to agree to disagree and respect differences that gave an excuse for a coup which almost repeated itself with Osinabajo/Tinubu. The ibos played their part as you said and the north who held on to resources of others are the ones now championing restructuring because all it has done is impoverish them. So it’s a Nigerian problem. We are all reminiscing with nostalgia to a period when things worked but failed because we are Nigerians. The problem wasn’t the system then, nor is it the system now, the problem is our insincerity as Nigerians….all of us!

We never go back to look at where we went wrong and our roles but instead feel changing lanes with solve anything. He who is not a student of history is condemned to repeat the mistakes of the past. Nigerians never learn because they forget history and repeat the same mistakes.

Yorubas failing to agree among themselves is not a wise reason and motivation for people who are not Yorubas and who are i:gbos to start a coup against non-i:gbos..

Yorubas played no part,
northern Nigerians played no part and did not hold on to resources of non-northern Nigerians.

it was only and mainly i:gbos that played the major role in destabilizing non-i:gbo regions which ultimately led to destruction of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 5:00pm On Feb 16
codemaniacs:

Yorubas failing to agree among themselves is not a wise reason and motivation for people who are not Yorubas and who are i:gbos to start a coup against non-i:gbos..

Yorubas played no part,
northern Nigerians played no part and did not hold on to resources of non-northern Nigerians.

it was only and mainly i:gbos that played the major role in destabilizing non-i:gbo regions which ultimately led to destruction of Nigeria.

It gave the excuse. When someone wants to burn you, you don’t provide the match and the petrol. Hence lessons to be learnt. Everybody has something to learn, the likes of Osinbajo, Fayemi and Bakare clearly did not learn and if not for the North who are better students of history and politics than we in the south, a Yoruba man will not be president today.

1 Like

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by codemaniacs: 5:07pm On Feb 16
casualobserver:

It gave the excuse. When someone wants to burn you, you don’t provide the match and the petrol. Hence lessons to be learnt.

If you're quarreling in your fenced house does that mean it is right for your neighbor that has been jealous of you should invade your house and kill you and your entire family and take over your house and when police comes to arrest the neighbor he claims you deserve to be killed because you were quarreling.

Does that make sense to you

I can see you have mental problem...
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 5:14pm On Feb 16
codemaniacs:

If you're quarreling in your fenced house does that mean it is right for your neighbor that has been jealous of you should invade your house and kill you and your entire family and take over your house and when police comes to arrest the neighbor he claims you deserve to be killed because you were quarreling.

Does that make sense to you

I can see you have mental problem...

Oga you see this our so called education, rationality,” does it make sense” mentality and too much logic is why the Yoruba nation is under siege. In 30 years maximum the ibos will determine who becomes governor in Lagos. We never learn. Telling a thief that you have no right to burgle your house does not mean you don’t have a duty to secure your house.

Our problem is too much sense, too much logic, too much liberalism, did you see the votes they gave Obi in the SE….the same people who were insulting him when he was governor? Stay there and be asking if it makes sense. A thief will do what a thief does, it’s your duty to makes sure he can’t steal from you at at least to make it difficult.. I heard a story that I wish I could share publicly. It tells you we yorubas are our own problem sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by codemaniacs: 5:18pm On Feb 16
casualobserver:

Oga you see this our so called education, rationality,” does it make sense” mentality and too much logic is why the Yoruba nation is under siege. In 30 years maximum the ibos will determine who becomes governor in Lagos. We never learn. Telling a thief that you have no right to burgle your house does not mean you don’t have a duty to secure your house.

Our problem is too much sense, too much logic, too much liberalism, did you see the votes they gave Obi in the SE….the same people who were insulting him when he was governor? Stay there and be asking if it makes sense. A thief will do what a thief does, it’s your duty to makes sure he can’t steal from you at at least to make it difficult.. I heard a story that I wish I could share publicly. It tells you we yorubas are our own problem sometimes.

No Yoruba person says we Yorubas..

You are not Yoruba.. so stop saying rubbish..
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 5:21pm On Feb 16
codemaniacs:

If it pleases you to believe I am not Yoruba fine, is my message any false if I am not Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Brushstrokes20: 5:21pm On Feb 16
Trash for lawma!💯💯
What the doomed contraption 🇳🇬urgently needs an outright DISINTEGRATION asap!
# water and oil don't mix! 💦💧👌
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by PDPdestroyer(m): 5:23pm On Feb 16
casualobserver:

If it pleases you to believe I am not Yoruba fine, is my message any false if I am not Yoruba?
codemaniacs:

Lol. He's Yoruba bro, you seem not to get the point he's trying to make, which is, if a wall has no crack, it's difficult for a lizard to enter the wall
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by israelmao(m): 5:27pm On Feb 16
Does system of government change leaders' characters?
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by codemaniacs: 5:28pm On Feb 16
casualobserver:

Your message is very foolish and very false..

To do that I:gbos will have to

stop Yorubas from having children..
they will also have to stop other Yorubas from other SW states from migrating to Lagos.
Stop Yorubas from outside Nigeria from migrating to Lagos.
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by codemaniacs: 5:30pm On Feb 16
PDPdestroyer:

Lol. He's Yoruba bro, you seem not to get the point he's trying to make, which is, if a wall has no crack, it's difficult for a lizard to enter the wall

He is not Yoruba...

Yorubas are smarter than that...

The "wall" does not have to be cracked when it can be broken down or scaled through.
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by casualobserver: 5:33pm On Feb 16
PDPdestroyer:

Leave him. He has the mentality of an Obidient or IPOB who can’t engage their brains and can’t handle uncomfortable truths. No tribe is devoid of bufooons and buffoonery. We are telling him the future but he can’t see beyond his nose, tomorrow when he can’t point to his grandfathers house or he finds that outsiders have taken over government he will start rioting and burning. We know his type, the ones that will sell his father's house for a few pieces of silver.

He is the I have a right to contest type like Osinbajo Fayemi and Bakare that almost handed power to the North. Like I said if not for the fact that there are more sensible people in the north who understand politics and the need to hand power to the SW……..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by mrvitalis(m): 5:40pm On Feb 16
Haaland21:

Okay...he should have stayed back in the Dubai he created now.

What is his business in Lagos?

Jokers......

Try again in 2047
Lol. Tell Nigeria to make all ports equal, obi is a business man there is no way you can do business without being in Lagos... Just like there is no way you can do contract without being in Abuja

Obi was in Lagos doing business, UK doing business when Tinubu was a bagman
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Oliver14(m): 5:46pm On Feb 16
I support this parliamentary system of government.
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by itsene: 6:24pm On Feb 16
These are anarchists. Don't be fooled.
Be vigilant.
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Morphinne: 6:28pm On Feb 16
The parliamentary system of government, which was successfully practised in Nigeria before the military incursion in 1966, has proven successful in various nations around the world, offering several advantages over the current presidential system
It should be taught in our schools and colleges that this was the system of government practiced in Nigeria before some unfortunate people from one jinxed region of Nigeria decided to shed innocent people’s blood, stopping this progressive system in the process just because they were more advantaged at the time (at least, they believed so).
Decades later and after other regions dealt with them and defeated these cancers, their children are now crying to return to the system. They are now wailing and complaining of being marginalized and the sad but funny part of all this is that a vast majority of the country’s population are oblivious of this sad history. Aguiyi Ironsi, an Igbo man was the man used by the devil to plunge Nigeria into the mess we are in today, his children should keep enjoying the fruits of his evil labor cool
No to parliamentary system of government in Nigeria! E sweet like this grin
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by shonepa(m): 6:58pm On Feb 16
Frontiers of Democracy no longer fronting.....ok na
Re: Frontiers For Democracy Calls For Support For Switch To Parliamentary System by Deepocean(m): 8:15pm On Feb 16
All these are just waste of time.

All what Nigeria needs is government that is free of corruption. If all allocation for projects are used judiciously every sector will be running smoothly, there will be light, there will be good road, there will be water supply, there will be security which will invariably attract local and foreign investors leading to abundant employment and job opportunities, constant power supply will create enabling environment for startups, education will work fine, agricultural activities will be at topnotch. Everything will work fine.

But if you continue to formulate economy policies even by the best professors of economics in the world on a country sitting on corruption we'll continue wallowing in same mess we are now.

So what we need is not a switch in system of government, what will need is corruption free country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy And Exchange Rate / Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? / FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.