Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,727 members, 7,813,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland (8531 Views)

Buhari Orders Fast-track Environmental Clean-up Of Ogoniland - PM News / FG Begins Second Section Of Enugu-p’harcourt Expressway / FG Begins Rehabilitation Of NNPC Depot In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by EteFlexible: 11:54am On Aug 07, 2012
After suffering delays caused by the January protests over the fuel subsidy removal, the Federal Government Monday announced that it has commenced the implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report on the clean-up of Ogoniland, damaged by years of oil exploration.

Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, made this known at a press briefing held by the Minister of Environment, Hadiza Mailafiya, who led a team to present her ministry's policy thrust for the 2013 budget and the implementation of the 2012 budget to President Goodluck Jonathan.

In a swift reaction, the United Nations welcomed the decision to clean up Ogoniland, a year after UNEP submitted a scientific assessment of oil pollution in the community to the government.

However, last week, Jonathan had approved the setting up of a Hydro-Carbon Pollution Restoration Project (HYPREP) to speed up the government’s commitment to implementing the UNEP assessment report on the spill disaster in Ogoniland.

The Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, who announced the project, had said the setting up of HYPREP was in keeping with the government’s determination to protect the environmental rights of the people.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/federal-govt-begins-clean-up-of-ogoniland/121749/
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by valhendeshawgm(m): 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
It will be a good development if the FGN stands to its word by cleaning the Ogoni land. The pple have passed 2ru a great deal of lost in the past and these might just bring a smile back to their faces and this is what we need right about now in the nation..So thumbs up to the FGN.. smiley smiley smiley
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Chanchit: 12:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
This Nigerian government too dey fear o...! Chai, i need to find something to hold them to ransome very fast, because Ogoni land declear their republic, see as this government dey run put everything in place, na wa o....
Biafra u better start digging for petrol, so gov't will take u serious... Na my 1naira i don borrow una so ooo...!

4 Likes

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Stallion77(f): 12:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
hmmn...gulping $1b
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by akinreals: 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
Chanchit: This Nigerian government too dey fear o...! Chai, i need to find something to hold them to ransome very fast, because Ogoni land declear their republic, see as this government dey run put everything in place, na wa o....
Biafra u better start digging for petrol, so gov't will take u serious... Na my 1naira i don borrow una so ooo...!
gbam. You are so on point my broda, exactly what i had in mind.

1 Like

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
Stallion77: hmmn...gulping $1b

^^^And they deserve much more if you ask me. Nigeria and certain greedy/corrupt individuals have made tens of billions of $$$$$ from their land, and all Ogonians have to show for it is pollution, sickness, underdevelopment, decimation of their peoples through state sponsored terrorism, and all round sufferness.

No world class city or infrastructure in their land for all the oil wealth that has been derived from it, so $1 billion is nothing.

3 Likes

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
na so so yeye people full Nigeria Govt o, i wonder if this clean-up would have happened if they hadn't Declare Independence cheesy cry

1 Like

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 2:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
But the only thing of substance I can read here is that the president has approved the setting up of a "project" to implement the report. The actual clean-up has not begun yet.

OP, the title is misleading.

1 Like

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by gegee(m): 2:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
na so eye service
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by ebamma(m): 3:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
okay,finally una wan go clean up ogoniland because them been declare independence

1 Like

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
Begins? Begins? um . . . only about 2 or 3 days ago, there was a report on Aljazeera suggesting no such thing taking place. Our journalists should please do a better job. No more lies for the administration. The topic should be on hold till when the clean-up does begin.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by almaliki: 3:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
So these mumu Nigerian leaders were waiting 4 Ogoni people 2 make noise before they do what's supposed to be done.....useless set of old men....! angry

2 Likes

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by dedeike: 3:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
HNosegbe: But the only thing of substance I can read here is that the president has approved the setting up of a "project" to implement the report. The actual clean-up has not begun yet.

OP, the title is misleading.
What is misleading about the post? How else would the govt start the clean up if not the setting up of HYPREP?
It is HYPREP that will carry out the implementation of the project. You can't hold an Olympics with an IOC local organizing committee. You can't start EPL Without the FA.
The UN knows this much hence the immediate commendation of GEJ's move.
Those who also want to insinuate that this latest move was borne out of fear for the kangaroo declaration of Ogoni state last weekend should draw their eyes to the second paragraph of the above report.
That paragraph clearly states that GEJ had already given approval since last week far before the Ogoni declaration.
We must appreciate that this govt is pro active and we are witnessing the best ever Petroluem minister in history.

2 Likes

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by belemzy: 3:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ogoni Land I hail oo. See why unity is good? if only the greedy and wicked Kalabari rulers will for once fight for their rights. Mumu greedy pot belle men.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by strangest(m): 3:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
Am not an Ogoni man but I believe they deserve more, instead of the waste that was spent on FESTAC by one foolish president like that..
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
dedeike:
What is misleading about the post? How else would the govt start the clean up if not the setting up of HYPREP?
It is HYPREP that will carry out the implementation of the project. You can't hold an Olympics with an IOC local organizing committee. You can't start EPL Without the FA.
Those who also want to insinuate that this latest move was borne out of fear for the kangaroo declaration of Ogoni state last weekend should draw their eyes to the second paragraph of the above report.
That paragraph clearly states that GEJ had already given approval since last week far before the Ogoni declaration.
We must appreciate that this govt is pro active and we are witnessing the best ever Petroluem minister in history.

Oga abeg siddon for one side. Is it not this same country where committees and commissions are set up for anything and everything to no avail? So you want me to rejoice and sing kumbayah because the federal government has "approved" the setting up of HYPREP? Have they considered how the agency will raise the $1billion needed for a successful clean-up? Will it be raised from the budget? What about staffing? What about carrying the local communities along?

I have gone WAY beyond the deceit of this government. I want to see TANGIBLE results for once before I praise any government, not vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by EXCELLENCEAbia: 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
dedeike:
see the government knows that such issue is about to rise that's why they started running to cover up because they already know the disadvantage.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
belemzy: Ogoni Land I hail oo. See why unity is good? if only the greedy and wicked Kalabari rulers will for once fight for their rights. Mumu greedy pot belle men.
belems imiete ooo! U don tal am finish na, abonemma go say na dem see oyinbo first, buguma go sa dem be amayanabo, bakana go say dem old pass. We dey look.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by WuzilistiQ(m): 4:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
F.G putting the medicine in their (Ogoni people/ related cases of violence in other parts as well) coffin

Since the unified govt. Has failed i think we should try the next method which we're afraid of=> DECENTRALIZATION so that we can reduce the idea of greed for power, the reduction of religious/tribal sentiment.....then we'll see the beauty of our economy

We need to give it a try and stop decieving ourselves '' if eh go mean sey we go disintegrate from the process no qualms'' wat will be will be..........oil no oil man go survive.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by gbadexy(m): 4:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
Curious......so, the government suddenly remembered to clean up their community after so long with the lame excuse that the fuel subsidy removal protest that we have since long forgotten caused the delay.
Who says dialogue pays, threaten the government and they would quickly do your wish. I wonder if they would have cleaned up the community if the people of ogoni hadn't announced their 'independence'
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by proudlyafrican(m): 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
This is where i have issues with the PDP led Government of Dr. Ebele Goodluck Jonathan,we will continue to remain in this pathetic state of retrogression if we continue to play politics with everything. When the Ogoni people declared their autonomy i was impressed because i know their legitimacy will be granted by the United Nations if they persist and persrvere in the course like South Sudan.I am ashamed that even an Ijaw man can turn his back on his people for over a year after the UNEP report on the devastation of oil spillage on Ogoni Land.The Ogoni people should not fall into this stunt been pulled by the PDP led Government by relaxing their position on self autonomy,as the report will never be implemented. They are setting up HYPREP to enrich themselves and their croonies.The autonomy has been declared and their is no going back on it.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Camilia247: 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
the r now implementing the united nation environmental protection report UNEP,cool , probably portable water is on the way
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Elueme: 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
Nice move though one was wondering why it took so long. I would have expected immediate actions just after the UNEP report was made public.. This has however given credence to the president that he is not a tribal bigot.. I hope govt is sincere in this cleaning up process and do a thorough job as well as ensure adequate compensations to the people of ogoni land..

1 Like

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Medley(m): 5:10pm On Aug 07, 2012
clean up?, sounds good. How long will they continue doing clean up. The sustainability of the environment shld av been d main aim. It should not be about the clean up, but rather the prevention. Even though the implementation of d clean up is yet to begin. Hence forth B4 any exploration the environmental impact assessment shld be carried out first. In developed countries of d world the polluter pays for his pollution. The impact shld be mitigated to 2% as in venezuela and also all oil comp. Shld avoid pollution,gas, and oil flaring with d latest tech. Improvement As it is done in other countries....if bribery and corruption will permit. Shell,agip,etc are in other countries, and they is less or no spillage

2 Likes

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by MahatmaGhandi: 5:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
If the Ogoni's know what is good for them they should ignore F.G and make the government know they are serious about what they said earlier,if they did all they did just to get government attention then I must say here and now that nigeria's predicament will not end any time soon, strength of character will be to confront FG intellectually via the UN,media and every available agency and insist on their autonomy.all those singing for SNC should get behind the ogoni's and give what ever support they can both intellectual and other wise,they should also be in touch with a very large body of lawyers it is said that in the multitude of counsel there is safety.

1 Like

Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Elueme: 5:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
[quote author=proudlyafrican]This is where i have issues with the PDP led Government of Dr. Ebele Goodluck Jonathan,we will continue to remain in this pathetic state of retrogression if we continue to play politics with everything. When the Ogoni people declared their autonomy i was impressed because i know their legitimacy will be granted by the United Nations if they persist and persrvere in the course like South Sudan.I am ashamed that even an Ijaw man can turn his back on his people for over a year after the UNEP report on the devastation of oil spillage on Ogoni Land.The Ogoni people should not fall into this stunt been pulled by the PDP led Government by relaxing their position on self autonomy,as the report will never be implemented. They are setting up HYPREP to enrich themselves and their croonies.The autonomy has been declared and their is no going back on it.[/quote)@ proudly Africa.
I think the ogoni's need some little patience.. Succession should be collective. They can't survive alone, it's a fact. You haven't been to ogoni land but I have, you may not be conversant with the Niger delta creeks but I have been there on many humanitarian missions.. When you go to these places you llunderstand the agitation of an average Ijaw or ogoni's and will reveal an insight into how man can be so inhuman to his fellows... The level of hardness in an average nigerdeltan was never inherent as their nature but hardship induced and they seem not to likely renege so soon.. Amnesty was to temporarily seek a solution but the ogoni land can't survive alone, they need a block of others.. That notwithstanding , they have made a point by the purported declaration of self autonomy and ll surely get a proper response from FG.. trust me GEJ can't fail on this and has actually never failed from a dispassionate analysis.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Chanchit: This Nigerian government too dey fear o...! Chai, i need to find something to hold them to ransome very fast, because Ogoni land declear their republic, see as this government dey run put everything in place, na wa o....
e go be like film-trick for your eyes when biafra go do their own and government no go answer them
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Beaf: 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
HNosegbe:

Oga abeg siddon for one side. Is it not this same country where committees and commissions are set up for anything and everything to no avail? So you want me to rejoice and sing kumbayah because the federal government has "approved" the setting up of HYPREP? Have they considered how the agency will raise the $1billion needed for a successful clean-up? Will it be raised from the budget? What about staffing? What about carrying the local communities along?

I have gone WAY beyond the deceit of this government. I want to see TANGIBLE results for once before I praise any government, not vice versa.

More than anything, I believe it is immoral and wicked for us to weep over the source of the funds, especially as the pollution in Ogoni land was caused by Nigeria's uncaring attitude to her sourcing of oil funds from oil bearing lands such as the Ogononi's. There are times to bite the bullet for the grave errors of the past that haunt the present.

Also, the current govt is the first to have fined Shell deserving amounts for the destruction they have repeatedly and unrepentantly wrought in the Niger Delta. The last fine was $5billion (N800billion) for the Bonga oil spill.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the source of the money.
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Beaf: 5:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
proudlyafrican: This is where i have issues with the PDP led Government of Dr. Ebele Goodluck Jonathan,we will continue to remain in this pathetic state of retrogression if we continue to play politics with everything. When the Ogoni people declared their autonomy i was impressed because i know their legitimacy will be granted by the United Nations if they persist and persrvere in the course like South Sudan.I am ashamed that even an Ijaw man can turn his back on his people for over a year after the UNEP report on the devastation of oil spillage on Ogoni Land.The Ogoni people should not fall into this stunt been pulled by the PDP led Government by relaxing their position on self autonomy,as the report will never be implemented. They are setting up HYPREP to enrich themselves and their croonies.The autonomy has been declared and their is no going back on it.

This is just daft.
The very first paragraph of the article says that the FG is implementing the UNEP report. angry
Why can't some Nigerians bother to read?

Here it is again:

After suffering delays caused by the January protests over the fuel subsidy removal, the Federal Government Monday announced that it has commenced the implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report on the clean-up of Ogoniland, damaged by years of oil exploration.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/federal-govt-begins-clean-up-of-ogoniland/121749/
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
And u think biafra wsnt allowed to secede bc of wat? Dude it waz the same oil...
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
I think i wil find a way of blackmailing nigeria,seems daz wat works
Re: FG Begins Clean-up Of Ogoniland by Zutchy: 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
Took its time,but better late than never,the ogoni people should by right have the best of everything in this country,they have passed through hell and have been treated like as if they ain't part of this country by previous govts,as GEJ has embarked on this mission to put smiles on the faces of the ogoni people I hope they will do their job perfectly and clean up ogoni land to world acclaim and applause.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnewi Is A City....see Prove. / Nigeria & Netherlands Sign Agreement For Establishment Of Solar Panel Factory / INEC Replies Obasanjo: The Commission Not Under Pressure To Do What Is Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.