Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car (33438 Views)

Wahala! Tesla Being Charged By "I Pass My Neighbour" / My Car In Police Custody?? / Help! My Car Is Leaking Oil! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by dapotemi: 11:59am On Feb 17
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.

You have a bad case, legally and morally.Whatever happens to the 'economy' is not your neighbours fault!
I'll be honest with you, immediately the last instalment was PAID, the car no longer belongs to you and you're supposed to go to your neighbor to 'repurchased' if you need it back.
Oral agreement can be enforce in court..My suggestion will be, get some reputable people on the street to meet him, do not BEG him, don't make it seems so, don't be the weaker person..Just make it be more like you just don't want wahala! Something of that nature ..I believe he will listen, involve other neighbors if they are reasonable people...Secondly, involve the police, but not the ones in your neighborhood as you claim they know him well ..Look for someone that knows someone that knows someone, you know that kind of thing nau, just for them to be AWARE! I think the man just want to show you craze, he will calm down...Going forward, avoid doing biz with neighbors or people around you..I learnt that lesson a long time ago .Imagine if he's an outsider, he won't even be able to come close to the car or your house, na even your neighbour/street boys go pursue am..Be calm but na your fault sha to be honest.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by completeskills: 12:04pm On Feb 17
In situations like this....I alway try to put my self in the other person's position and see how I would react if such was meted to me. @Op if the same thing was done to you, how would you react? That should help you understand weather you feel justified in your actions.
Only if you have not waited until he paid the last installment before changing your mind maybe you would have been justified. What you just did is another way of calling another person a fool. Just seek peace with him because he has every right to be angry.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Bobochicago: 12:11pm On Feb 17
CaptainFM1:

The instalmental payments are enough evidences.

DJInfluence:
I disagree. There's no way for op to claim it was loan because he received installment payment like he mentioned. Honestly if the justice system works, he won't win the case. There are lot of ways a good lawyer for the plaintiff will punch hole in any argument the OP comes up with.
Dapotemi

lol it’ is still verbal agreement and it is not enforceable. You cannot enforce “dem say him say” . What if OP said the agreed price for the car was 20 million and he returned the money when the other guy tried to change it to 3 million? Who can dispute it ? No evidence, No case😃. What if op said he gave him the cash to keep so they can start a business together ? Like the installment can be for anything at all. It can even be for OPs TV or a bag of Agbado 😃. There are a thousand and one thing a rookie lawyer can come up with as long as there are no paper trail that says other wise. The other guy might end up paying heavily for damages especially for “going street “ if OP countersue with a bogus claim. Verbal agreement is all words of mouth and the court would rather maintain status quo.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by onyibor84: 12:26pm On Feb 17
It is little things like this that make people loose their lives.
Immediately the last instalment was paid, it is assumed that the transaction is completed.
You tied down his money which he might have converted from dollar to naira to pay you, only for you to renege on the agreement when the prices of goods have gone up due to increased exchange rates.

You will either have to give up the car or pay him at the exchange rate when he paid you. It is not fair to him and you know it.

Involving the police will only cost you more, and that guy appears like someone who can go extra miles.

Don’t be pushed to what you’ll regret later.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by advanceDNA: 12:35pm On Feb 17
Localemperor:
grin cheesy grin

You can't tell me to take my money back when I have made payment in full. That is the position of the law.

U see how daft u are.....the person has paid ..but ownership has not been transferred...so what exactly are u on about??

there is nothing in this attachment that shows that a seller cannot refuse sale before ownership is transfered.... There is no law in the universe that says seller cannot change his mind before before receipt is signed..... If u have such law post it here....

u have reading problem and comprehension problem...u can't even comprehend what u posted urself
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by hakeemhakeem(m): 12:40pm On Feb 17
advanceDNA:

I did not say payment was not made...so becos he made payment....seller can change his mind??

Bros there is no law in the universe that can force a person to sell his goods if exchange has not been made.....

If the exchange has happened and he now wants to take it back...that's a different issue..

He eyes will see what those who traded in that ways, payment is exchange if you don't know on part of the buyer.both should try that law let see the outcome
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Morphinne: 12:42pm On Feb 17
You have no excuse here ma/sir. Breaching of agreements is wrong in every sense, imagine the reverse was the case and that it’s the buyer that was asking you to refund his money because he noticed that something was wrong with the car after cruising it for a while or because the Nigerian economy got better and car prices fell, what would be your reaction?
He has every right to be mad and to even get you arrested (though that’s not possible in this case because the agreement wasn’t made formal)
The only thing you can do here is to compensate him because the money he had been giving you has been rendered valueless by inflation and you still had the gut to repay him the exact same amount. Haaba na, let’s be compassionate and reasonable. Here, you don’t want to be affected by the inflation but you don’t feel bothered about how you rendered his own money useless; the money he could have put into something productive. This is like terminating a football coach contract abruptly and refusing to compensate him,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by meum: 12:46pm On Feb 17
iLoveYouToo:

All forms of wrong. If the seller follows your advise she'll be in big trouble very soon. I for like know how this matter go end 😄

What do you call the buyer’s actions? All forms of right I guess? I advise he follows him peacefully. Exhaust all avenues of peaceful resolution. However, if he wants to form more street than the owner of a car(note: he didn’t pay in full & the part payment has been returned) then the own should engage someone those street boys dread, an army officer.

I love peace but I hate it when the person I’m trying to live peacefully with acts unreasonably. I will define unreasonable for the person.

Let them find a peaceful way to resolve it. You can’t blame the owner completely. Prices of things change daily. Whatever you don’t take possession of right away changes in price the following day. The buyer is wrong for threatening the owner of the car, removing the tyres & sending his street boys to watch over what isn’t his own.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by advanceDNA: 12:47pm On Feb 17
hakeemhakeem:

He eyes will see what those who traded in that ways, payment is exchange if you don't know on part of the buyer.both should try that law let see the outcome

Payment one part of the exchange in a sale...
U pay......then u get ur goods and receipt of purchase and move...

If u don't sign receipt or contract binding the sale the transaction isn't complete...u dont own jack...

Ur payment only gives u right to complete transaction from the seller ...if the seller doesn't want to go further to complete the exchange...he should return the money.......
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 1:35pm On Feb 17
meum:

What do you call the buyer’s actions? All forms of right I guess? I advise he follows him peacefully. Exhaust all avenues of peaceful resolution. However, if he wants to form more street than the owner of a car(note: he didn’t pay in full & the part payment has been returned) then the own should engage someone those street boys dread, an army officer.

I love peace but I hate it when the person I’m trying to live peacefully with acts unreasonably. I will define unreasonable for the person.

Let them find a peaceful way to resolve it. You can’t blame the owner completely. Prices of things change daily. Whatever you don’t take possession of right away changes in price the following day. The buyer is wrong for threatening the owner of the car, removing the tyres & sending his street boys to watch over what isn’t his own.

Full payment was made before the seller changed her mind. It's tricky, both parties must come to an agreement to forge a way forward otherwise they'll always be bad blood between them
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Katcall: 1:42pm On Feb 17
Sucre6:

Nah why e good to get street credibility be that, there is no how way him street cred go pass my own, anywhere I live, my street credibility nah top notch, e get why
how many gals you dey fúck for your street
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by vivalavida(m): 1:52pm On Feb 17
Since he wants to ne funny, we go play the game. Na me go call police as car owner. What I told him I am selling my car is 6M. He paid 3M and wants to claim ownership of my car. Then the game will start since it is my word against his own and na me get car. That neighbour Was so much in a haste to lay claim to the car.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Brandiebird: 2:01pm On Feb 17
advanceDNA:

Leave that guy...they like using technical terms to form brilliant....but their IQ is low as fvck

I think op has lost his car. According to op’s subsequent replies, the buyer is a big man who has connections within the police force and the community. He also has money to blow since he got the car so cheap he probably has an extra million to frustrate op. He also has op’s money to further frustrate op!

I’m also sure they didn’t make the agreement in private, there were witnesses who would testify against op. Also, op knows what he did was wrong and he’s looking for loopholes. Between witness, bank statements and probably ops own words to other people it will be proven that he wanted to sell his car and then he changed his mind.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Brandiebird: 2:04pm On Feb 17
vivalavida:
Since he wants to ne funny, we go play the game. Na me go call police as car owner. What I told him I am selling my car is 6M. He paid 3M and wants to claim ownership of my car. Then the game will start since it is my word against his own and na me get car. That neighbour Was so much in a haste to lay claim to the car.

But it won’t be his word against his word because there will be witnesses who can testify to what agreement was made! Do you think they did the deal in a closet with the door locked? I’m sure there are many people who know the full story the same way the internet knows the full story! Op spoke to half the community probably thinking he is in the right.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by ehissi(m): 2:11pm On Feb 17
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.

Call the police with immediate effect. Go to the police station nearest to your house and report. If he still has the money in his possession and is doing all this, then involve the police.

He will be arrested & made to sign an undertaking that if anything happens to you or your car he should be held responsible
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Pauliaette(m): 2:12pm On Feb 17
Go to the nearby police station and report the matter right now, before u lose Ur life for nothing.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by vivalavida(m): 2:13pm On Feb 17
Brandiebird:

But it won’t be his word against his word because there will be witnesses who can testify to what agreement was made! Do you think they did the deal in a closet with the door locked? I’m sure there are many people who know the full story the same way the internet knows the full story! Op spoke to half the community probably thinking he is in the right.

Which witness? They will have to provide where they signed as witness and or a voice recording of where I agreed on 3m for my 7m car.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by vivalavida(m): 2:17pm On Feb 17
Brandiebird:

I think op has lost his car. According to op’s subsequent replies, the buyer is a big man who has connections within the police force and the community. He also has money to blow since he got the car so cheap he probably has an extra million to frustrate op. He also has op’s money to further frustrate op!

I’m also sure they didn’t make the agreement in private, there were witnesses who would testify against op. Also, op knows what he did was wrong and he’s looking for loopholes. Between witness, bank statements and probably ops own words to other people it will be proven that he wanted to sell his car and then he changed his mind.

So if I tell u guy I wan sell my car, u ask me how much and I tell u. How does witness come in?
Anybody masquerading as witness is in cohorts with the man to under pay the true value of my car which I told u. If u say na 3M I tell u and na wetin u tell ur so called witness, no wahala. As for me, na 6M I tell u and I returned the money because the valid period I gave you for payment has elapsed.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Brandiebird: 2:20pm On Feb 17
vivalavida:

Which witness? They will have to provide where they signed as witness and or a voice recording of where I agreed on 3m for my 7m car.

I don’t think that’s how witness statements work. If a number people recall the same conversation that you had with them then it would be taken into account. I’m sure op told this story to a lot of people!
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Brandiebird: 2:23pm On Feb 17
vivalavida:

So if I tell u guy I wan sell my car, u ask me how much and I tell u. How does witness come in?
Anybody masquerading as witness is in cohorts with the man to under pay the true value of my car which I told u. If u say na 3M I tell u and na wetin u tell ur so called witness, no wahala. As for me, na 6M I tell u and I returned the money because the valid period I gave you for payment has elapsed.

You’re making up hypothetical scenarios, going by ops version he has spoken to a number of people to try and speak to the buyer so there’s no doubt about the amount and the agreement. Op bought the same story to the internet so best believe he told this same story to a number of people.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Localemperor: 2:35pm On Feb 17
advanceDNA:

U see how daft u are.....the person has paid ..but ownership has not been transferred...so what exactly are u on about??

there is nothing in this attachment that shows that a seller cannot refuse sale before ownership is transfered.... There is no law in the universe that says seller cannot change his mind before before receipt is signed..... If u have such law post it here....

u have reading problem and comprehension problem...u can't even comprehend what u posted urself
I give up on you, trust me, we all tried our best for you. Your family tried a lot but this is how you turned out. So bad.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Always82: 2:54pm On Feb 17
Go back and read the last paragraph of the writte up again.(l return his money a day after his last payment) Get the police involved now, now ,now....
...otherwise he will disfigure the car or cause irreparable damage u won't be able to prove he did....u would lose from two angles

...[/quote]
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Wallade(m): 3:44pm On Feb 17
matify83:
Going by your gentleman agreement, there shouldn't have been an issue since it was an informal deal all along.

However, keeping his money even for 2 weeks before returning it back is a loss for him going by our galloping inflation.

You denied him good use of his funds and now returning it without interest.

By reneging on the deal, he comes off the greatest loser.

Oga he didn't steal the money. It was willingly sent to the seller and the seller willingly returned it.

If he wants interest on it, he should sue the seller to court and he must must be able to prove that he is registered to do money lending business which was not the case on the first place.

Mr Seller, make a report at the nearest police station and establish a case of threat to your life against him, harassment and trespassing and attempt to steal your car.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Wallade(m): 3:45pm On Feb 17
Always82:
Go back and read the last paragraph of the writte up again.(l return his money a day after his last payment) Get the police involved now, now ,now....
...otherwise he will disfigure the car or cause irreparable damage u won't be able to prove he did....u would lose from two angles

Yes, involve police but if the does any damage to the car, he will be liable.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Wallade(m): 3:48pm On Feb 17
Brandiebird:

Fu. ck big man, why didn't he buy his own car instead.

"Op" no gree for any opportunist ohhhh
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Sucre6: 4:17pm On Feb 17
Katcall:
how many gals you dey fúck for your street

So I go come dey tell you that one ?
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Honeydenz(f): 5:42pm On Feb 17
Atk1nson:

The good thing is he paid by instalment.

In the normal course of business, title is not transferred until full payment is made.

So even if you made a commitment to sell to him upon (full) payment, the fact that you rescinded the decision before he made full payment puts you in the green.

However, if he can prove he did borrow to make that purchase, you may owe him the interest on the loan as he took the loan because you gave him a legitimate expectation that the car could be his.

However, if he has made full payment, that becomes tricky as you are reneging on a verbal contract and should compensate him well for the inconvenience
You didn't read d text properly, op said the buyer has made his last installment. Which means d Guy has completed money for the car's payment before op changed his mind upon realizing how expensive cars are now, something he should have done before putting his car on sale.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by creepsyme(f): 5:50pm On Feb 17
Missowombo:

How long did you keep his money?
That could have contributed to his anger.
That your neighbor na agbero shaaaa....
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by dapotemi: 6:33pm On Feb 17
Bobochicago:

Dapotemi

lol it’ is still verbal agreement and it is not enforceable. You cannot enforce “dem say him say” . What if OP said the agreed price for the car was 20 million and he returned the money when the other guy tried to change it to 3 million? Who can dispute it ? No evidence, No case😃. What if op said he gave him the cash to keep so they can start a business together ? Like the installment can be for anything at all. It can even be for OPs TV or a bag of Agbado 😃. There are a thousand and one thing a rookie lawyer can come up with as long as there are no paper trail that says other wise. The other guy might end up paying heavily for damages especially for “going street “ if OP countersue with a bogus claim. Verbal agreement is all words of mouth and the court would rather maintain status quo.

I get you sincerely but note that the OP is asking to know if what he has done is okay and fair enough! And from my response, I honestly think it's not fair on the part of OP to renege an agreement! From everything you put up here, you only speak to the criminal mind of an average Nigerian and that make me to ask you " Do we really want this country to be better"...you are asking OP to go and LIE and renege on something that was agreed upon, gentlemanly...Even to pay a lawyer to help him deny what he knows to be the truth! Common, this is the same thing the agbado man is doing and you're no diff...OP is at fault and I also condemned the buyers action or resort to self help...two wrongs don't make a right!
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by CaptainFM1: 6:54pm On Feb 17
Bobochicago:

Dapotemi

I stop reading your submission after the first sentence. You obviously don't understand what legal framework is. No need to argue with you. Dey your dey. Don't even bother replying me, cos I may not reply and if I have to, you may not like what I will spill out. Bye and rest on.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by sultaan(m): 10:33pm On Feb 17
It is very unfortunate that the kind of comments here supporting the seller is why we are looked at as scammers.

We are trying to justify a wise transaction while sacrificing the integrity of our words.

When the man made a verbal commitment to sell his car at a price, and agreed to a condition of installmental payment.

The buyer met/honored the condition of the agreement(written or not), it is for the seller to honor his end of the deal.

That a bad deal was made in hindsight is not the buyers fault. All businessmen are dealing with adjusting price daily due to soaring prices.

If the seller bought the car when dollar was 475, sold it when dollar was 750, final payment made when dollar is 1500.

Owner could not afford to fuel the car then, he cannot afford to fuel it now.

I want to believe he does not know the value of the car then and now, all he wants is to the the value of the dollar he got the car for then not to be able to afford a smaller car.

With the way the naira is now , he definitely will not be able to afford a Corolla, he might get lucky with a Cruze or Focus.

If we all put ourselves in the sellers shoes, hes sold the car at a cheap price then because he could not afford to run it.

The seller bought a car that costs a lot of money to run at a reasonable price(deal) at a risk,

The seller should hold up to his end of the bargain
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:05am On Feb 18
sultaan:
It is very unfortunate that the kind of comments here supporting the seller is why we are looked at as scammers.

We are trying to justify a wise transaction while sacrificing the integrity of our words.

When the man made a verbal commitment to sell his car at a price, and agreed to a condition of installmental payment.

The buyer met/honored the condition of the agreement(written or not), it is for the seller to honor his end of the deal.

That a bad deal was made in hindsight is not the buyers fault. All businessmen are dealing with adjusting price daily due to soaring prices.

If the seller bought the car when dollar was 475, sold it when dollar was 750, final payment made when dollar is 1500.

Owner could not afford to fuel the car then, he cannot afford to fuel it now.

I want to believe he does not know the value of the car then and now, all he wants is to the the value of the dollar he got the car for then not to be able to afford a smaller car.

With the way the naira is now , he definitely will not be able to afford a Corolla, he might get lucky with a Cruze or Focus.

If we all put ourselves in the sellers shoes, hes sold the car at a cheap price then because he could not afford to run it.

The seller bought a car that costs a lot of money to run at a reasonable price(deal) at a risk,

The seller should hold up to his end of the bargain

Seen a lot of comments from users I "used to respect" at this point we deserve the type of leaders we have from what I see.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mercedes Celebrate G-Class 40th Anniversary With 3 “Stronger Than Time” Editions / Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos / Work In Progress (vw Beetle)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.