Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car (33410 Views)

Wahala! Tesla Being Charged By "I Pass My Neighbour" / My Car In Police Custody?? / Help! My Car Is Leaking Oil! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Localemperor: 10:40pm On Feb 16
chidiokay:

Even if there was a transfer, was there a remark indicating the purpose, beside any agreement that as not surpass the signature phase can be reneged/breached with full impunity
Oral contract without witness or recording or prove of term is a waste, its convenient to deny and Judges are not omni-present, when 1 cancel 1 = 0

Your argument is not based on fact. Contracts can be entered orally. In an orally contract you don't need a signature for it to be binding as long as there is offer, acceptance and consideration, you have a legally binding contract.

The purpose of the money transfered must not be explicitly stated but by implication be known ( The buyer is already riding the car for some time, and within that same period he had made payment to the seller of an amount that can be considered to be payment for the car)

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Elsueno: 10:41pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

grin grin Lmao, after dude don finish paying u money..Oga give the man his car jare.

If it makes u feel any better, as long as u made profit on d initial sell na d man go regret am last last...Cause currently fuel guzzlers like V6 3.5 etc....keeps falling in price & would continue to plummet as long as price of fuel keeps increasing. EVEN ON A NORMAL ECONOMIC THINGS, THESE FUEL GUZZLERS NO DEY TOO POPULAR.

Take ur L in peace & collect ur money, add some change & buy ur choice ride
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by okoroemeka(m): 10:43pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.
pls don't even think about that,do you know what he might have went through to rise that money,for you to return it the next day he completed the payment,you rushed to send back the money without proper advice,if it is me and you want that car back you will put interest of #200k on top
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Sucre6: 10:50pm On Feb 16
Badadvisor:

Yeah na wetn most guys no know. If e dey show genuine love once in a while e neighbor no go fit use area boys dey oppress am.

Exactly, I grew up in a street where only the strong get the cookies, so I know these things like the back of my hands, but some people go park enter area new begin form Ajebo, when jungle mature, them go treat your fvck wella 😂

I once drove into a ditch very close to my street while going to work, I was stranded and running late before I say jack some guy recognize me, and to be sincere I don't even recognize them again, apparently I was coming back from work one day and decided to chill out at a lounge close to my estate, I saw some guys smoking loud, I don't do loud but I just ball in their midst and buy them all loud, drop little cash for drink and zoomed off, come and see hailing, they nearly carry me for head because of happiness , like say I be local government chairman sharing palliative 😂,

They all came together. And help me bail my car out of the ditch, I try giving them money they refused say me nah senior man, make I just go work we go block for evening. Omo that's how to build street cred

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:03pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.

Car has been sold. Let the lady look for a lawyer angry

If the table was turned how would you handle it?
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:09pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Well, it may be something close to this. I spent 7million Naira for the purchase of that car and was to sell at only 3m. The car is neat, elegant, commands so much stare and respect wherever I drive to. I sparingly drove the vehicle as I was trying to conserve fuel.

You're on the wrong side, you better act fast or you'll lose at the police station level (a lot is at stake here). Get a lawyer for interpretation ASAP and go the legal way if the lawyer says your chances are good. Considering leaving that compound after the case.

A LOT OF POTENTIAL Profit IS AT STAKE HERE, YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE, DON'T TREAT THIS WITH LEVITY.

That man would go to any length, start taking the above steps from today
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Cupidkc(m): 11:09pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.

Judge Judy would have ended this case in less than 5 mins grin .....I think its sellers remorse at play here.
You shot yourself where you said he had made his last installment,ain't a lawyer but I think by law you have lost that car. Unfortunately,that car doesn't belong to you anymore. Haven't said that,you can plead with your neighbor to either cancel the contract and you refund him or you buy back the car from him at his own price now.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Osanoghodua1: 11:09pm On Feb 16
First, I can never sell my car to my neighbor, if I am to, I do it by full payment, I don't do installment, that's not business, I don't want any trouble with my neighbor they are like a family to me. I sold 4 tyres and Rims to my neighbor today at a ridiculous giveaway price and even gifted his father from the money because I bought all brand new tyres and Alloys..

I would have gifted him if need be.

Use police to resolve the issue so he doesn't make good his threat. Don't use force to force, get police ASAP
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:11pm On Feb 16
Osanoghodua1:
First, I can never sell my car to my neighbor, if I am to, I do it by full payment, I don't do installment, that's not business, I don't want any trouble with my neighbor they are like a family to me. I sold 4 tyres and Rims to my neighbor today at a ridiculous giveaway price and even gifted his father from the money because I bought all brand new tyres and Alloys..

I would have gifted him if need be.

Use police to resolve the issue so he doesn't make good his threat. Don't use force to force, get police ASAP

Man would look to bribe the police, a lot of profit is at stake here

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:16pm On Feb 16
ExudeLoveToAll:
Transaction has been completed without you even knowing.

If I was your neighbor, I will proceed to a court and have an injunction restraining you or anyone from driving that car until the suite has been entertained by the court to determine the legitimate owner of that vehicle.

Mind you this suit can take five years to determine, no issue will drive that vehicle and the good thing is that he already has his money back as a guarantee meaning he has nothing to loose in making life difficult for you as a dishonest business man.

An oral agreement is admissible in court mind you and he has bank transactions to corroborate his oral evidence. People like you who think you can repudiate an agreement when the other party has fully complied with the terms of the agreement should be taught shown a precedence so that you don't do it to other people in the future.

In your mind you are smart, you don't even know the buyer has lost money because of future value of money. That you find yourself in this predicament has nothing to do with the buyer, business has been completed and there is nothing you can do about it. No court will give you custody of that vehicle of this matter gets to court.

The best for you is to seek peaceful settlement outside of the court process else you will loose everywhere.

You've spoken well, she has to act fast otherwise all you posted will play out. From her post she agreed to sell at less than half the cost price. I'm sure the buyer is ready to die on top this matter. Problems dey sha, we all need to be careful before jumping into agreements
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:19pm On Feb 16
Lonestar124:
If your story is true, allow the mumu neighbor to do his gra gra finished..

Then come back to him when you found any crash or damages in your car..

He will still calm down, if you react now, he will get more evaporated which may not be good to you.

I have encountered people like that your neighbor..

The fact here is everything is win win win for you so calm down...

Mumu neighbor indeed. Ignorance is a major setback to anyone. The buyer will win this case like play if he goes to court
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:23pm On Feb 16
meum:
Oga you no Dey sell the car again period. Tell am say you want give your papa the car or you want use am. Which one be jack motor carry two people make dem come guard the car?

If you use peace follow am E no gree, change am for am. I hate such take am by force attitude

The same area boys that grabbed, snatched and ran away with ballot boxes? Is it not that “grab it, snatch it & run away” that brought us where we are now? Change am for am jare! He wants to buy cheap & resell. Whatever he paid, calculate his interest & pay him off. If he doesn’t want it get an army friend make dem show am craze. M*dn3ss get level.

All forms of wrong. If the seller follows your advise she'll be in big trouble very soon. I for like know how this matter go end 😄
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by SirBunky85(m): 11:23pm On Feb 16
ExudeLoveToAll:

That's same thing I'm telling him, he can be arrested for trespassing. The buyer should activate his legal options right away.
try rest.you've been running around shouting "legal options" I repeat, rest.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Coolgent(m): 11:28pm On Feb 16
ExudeLoveToAll:
Transaction has been completed without you even knowing.

If I was your neighbor, I will proceed to a court and have an injunction restraining you or anyone from driving that car until the suite has been entertained by the court to determine the legitimate owner of that vehicle.

Mind you this suit can take five years to determine, no issue will drive that vehicle and the good thing is that he already has his money back as a guarantee meaning he has nothing to loose in making life difficult for you as a dishonest business man.

An oral agreement is admissible in court mind you and he has bank transactions to corroborate his oral evidence. People like you who think you can repudiate an agreement when the other party has fully complied with the terms of the agreement should be taught shown a precedence so that you don't do it to other people in the future.

In your mind you are smart, you don't even know the buyer has lost money because of future value of money. That you find yourself in this predicament has nothing to do with the buyer, business has been completed and there is nothing you can do about it. No court will give you custody of that vehicle of this matter gets to court.

The best for you is to seek peaceful settlement outside of the court process else you will loose everywhere.

Well said!
Op should seek peaceful resolution
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:28pm On Feb 16
TheWinterBird:
Dang. From 7m to 3m? You gave him a good deal, hence it was your loss and his gain. One would think he would play fair thereafter but like the typical Nigerian, he used to opportunity to go gangster and roughen the whole thing up in your eyes, attempting to claim a car that's not his. He's no different from a thief. You gotta be smarter next time! Futhermore, if the car's this great, you shouldn't have been so quick to sell it, at least not for a price that wasn't up to its worth. You also shouldn't have accepted the payment in installments; you were already selling it at a much lower price and if he couldn't pay in full upfront, you shouldn't have released the car to him. Lastly, next time, know the type of person you're doing business with; if they're of poor character and ethics, take your business elsewhere.

The seller is the one with poor ethics, agreeing to sell a car of 7m for 3m. Leave sentiments aside please, say the truth, it won't kill you.

OP should be very careful next time before jumping into agreements, verbal or otherwise.

Reneging on agreements shows weakness not strength.

Don't get me wrong, the seller is also wrong for making such silly moves to prevent OP access to the car. If the seller follows legal channels he wins this case 100%.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Coolgent(m): 11:32pm On Feb 16
I now believe that majority of Nairalanders lack common understanding.
Op the deal has been done!
The only solution is to beg the new owner of the said vehicle or entice him with interest let's us 10%.
If na me be the buyer i will sue you!
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Alcoron: 11:54pm On Feb 16
Did you inform him of your change of plans before he paid his last instalment?
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Alcoron: 11:55pm On Feb 16
ExudeLoveToAll
Sucre6
KingAzubuike
chatinent
Besuccesful
esiri4jesu
DJInfluence
Bobochicago
sokunji

I think we should look at the new details op has brought to fore before judging him wrong again.
Missowombo you should add these new comments to the opening post, so people stop misjudging you totally. Not everyone has the interest in reading deep into this thread to see the places you wrote them.

Page 2
Missowombo:

Thanks Man. The total duration of all these is 5days, from the payment of the first installment to the refund of his money. The delay with refunding his money stemmed from his refusal to release his account number to me. I have had previous transactions with him not related to the current issue, so I got his account number from there and refunded.

Page 2
Missowombo:

Thanks. The man is a chieftain, an influential person in this town, he has many police officers and area boys under his care. Infact, one of his sons is a soldier. Involving Nigerian police here seems dicey.

Page 3
Missowombo:

Thanks a great deal. I was not even expecting his last installment so fast as that was the same day I had a change of mind. The total duration of as transactions is 5 days

Page 3
Missowombo:

Thanks so much. I never spent his money. I have apologized and pleaded with him. I was surprised that he went ahead to jack up my car.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Dzzzz: 12:57am On Feb 17
Ombre:
grin
..If I was the one bro you will add extra 1m to get your car back..It’s like craze dey worry you eh??.You never jam Civilized Agbero before you go confuse..If I no use slap compose song for your face.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by fitinwell: 1:18am On Feb 17
Missowombo:

Please Beg him and Add some interest to allow peace to reign oo

So that you don't loose your dare life and the Car you so much jealous.. to Wicked black Man..

To commot another Man life ,no cost anything for this country again oo... Na even Free service sef...

So just settle let every one dey alright...
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by merits(m): 1:19am On Feb 17
Missowombo:

The picture of your car surrounded by 2 other vehicle first, before I can lay my hand on your case.

I need pictorial a evidence.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by occfx: 2:28am On Feb 17
matify83:
Going by your gentleman agreement, there shouldn't have been an issue since it was an informal deal all along.

However, keeping his money even for 2 weeks before returning it back is a loss for him going by our galloping inflation.

You denied him good use of his funds and now returning it without interest.

By reneging on the deal, he comes off the greatest loser.

Nigerians are cunning... Op knew exactly what he was doing. Used the guy money solve immediate problem and probably got profit and now returning it without interest. If I was the guy, two conditions here are either pay back with 50% interest or forget the car.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by occfx: 2:35am On Feb 17
Babamide:
You said he has paid the last installment, so typically if he is not your neighbor and he knew you are a cunny man, he would have taken possession of the car. His mistake was trusting you are a gentleman. The car is no longer yours Oga

Don't mind the cunny man

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Dagger111(m): 4:06am On Feb 17
Missowombo:

Contact me....it is a case i will handle diplomatically for you. Trust me.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Blazadenise(m): 4:14am On Feb 17
business has been completed. No court will give you custody of that vehicle of this matter gets to court. All your story here is even a good evidence against you if the buyer get hold of your writeup Jare..
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by afadi2410: 4:24am On Feb 17
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.

Every agreement, written or verbal is binding on both parties. You too go know say no be only you get muscles
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by hakeemhakeem(m): 4:47am On Feb 17
Sucre6:

Sorry you would be surprised crawling with your muscles,an agreement was reached so he should honored it.what if the vehicle gets faulty like engine damaged in a month after sale will he accept to refund the buyer
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by ExudeLoveToAll: 5:02am On Feb 17
SirBunky85:
try rest.you've been running around shouting "legal options" I repeat, rest.

Learn how to communicate respectfully.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by hakeemhakeem(m): 5:02am On Feb 17
advanceDNA:

Don't u think u are the one supporting street way....cos that's what the buyer is trying use here... ...The buyer has no right under any law to force the seller to sell....weda he paid in installment or at once......

We can't even call this issue seller's remorse because goods has not change hands and no receipt given... technically...sale has not happened

Sales happened immediately agreement was reached not to talk of when payment was full made,I hope the seller wouldn't be himself in big trouble
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by ExudeLoveToAll: 5:06am On Feb 17
Alcoron:
ExudeLoveToAll
Sucre6
KingAzubuike
chatinent
Besuccesful
esiri4jesu
DJInfluence
Bobochicago
sokunji

I think we should look at the new details op has brought to fore before judging him wrong again.
Missowombo you should add these new comments to the opening post, so people stop misjudging you totally. Not everyone has the interest in reading deep into this thread to see the places you wrote them.

Page 2

Page 2

Page 3

Page 3

Unfortunately those issues you just raised has nothing to do with the contract entered by both parties, the only option available to the seller is peaceful resolution. Thanks for bringing this up.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by hakeemhakeem(m): 5:09am On Feb 17
123readygo:
Offer him some monetary compensation. You breached the contract, even though that it’s oral, the agreement is binding if he has witnesses and it is enforceable against you.

Oral or not, the instalment payment is an agreement on its own.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by DJInfluence: 5:09am On Feb 17
Alcoron:
ExudeLoveToAll
Sucre6
KingAzubuike
chatinent
Besuccesful
esiri4jesu
DJInfluence
Bobochicago
sokunji

Page 2

Page 2

Page 3

Page 3
Thanks for digging out his other posts for us. Really appreciate it. But a contract is still a contract regardless of the duration of the whole transaction. However based on the new information, I must state that since I don't know much about the Nigeria contract law if any, but but but the buyer or seller should be protected from either reneging or having a change of heart and not wanting to go on with the deal. In my part of Europe, a buyer can decides not to buy anymore within 2 weeks of agreeing to buy. But a seller can't withdraw the product after a) putting it out for sale and b) Agreeing and receiving the offered price. Buyers are well protected (this is just a simplified version)

Imagine a scenario where you go to a car dealership, agreed to pay the sticker price with the seller. Make your installment payment only for the dealer to refuse to sell you the car because another person agreed to pay double and in full for the same car.

So buyers have to be protected from such while sellers are protected in the sense that they should receive the agreed price.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Work In Progress (vw Beetle) / Mercedes Celebrate G-Class 40th Anniversary With 3 “Stronger Than Time” Editions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.