Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car (33377 Views)

Wahala! Tesla Being Charged By "I Pass My Neighbour" / My Car In Police Custody?? / Help! My Car Is Leaking Oil! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by laivwire(m): 1:58pm On Feb 16
This is just like the Gazzuzz case back then.

Buyer fully paid for TV but didn't come to pick it up yet, seller got a better offer and sold the TV and offered to return money to buyer. Kolewerk.

As soon as full payment has been made, na transfer of ownership remain, nothing else.

12 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Missowombo: 2:03pm On Feb 16
Atk1nson:

The good thing is he paid by instalment.

In the normal course of business, title is not transferred until full payment is made.

So even if you made a commitment to sell to him upon (full) payment, the fact that you rescinded the decision before he made full payment puts you in the green.

However, if he can prove he did borrow to make that purchase, you may owe him the interest on the loan as he took the loan because you gave him a legitimate expectation that the car could be his.

However, if he has made full payment, that becomes tricky as you are reneging on a verbal contract and should compensate him well for the inconvenience

Thanks a great deal. I was not even expecting his last installment so fast as that was the same day I had a change of mind. The total duration of as transactions is 5 days

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Missowombo: 2:07pm On Feb 16
yemmit90:
You made a mistake by sending him back exactly what he paid, you should've at least added something as interest for him.

The man feel cheated, he might even thought you spent his money to solve an issue but used car as a cover up. Don't use the police or take law into your hands if you want peaceful resolution, call some respected or good neighbours to help you beg him that you are ready to add something for him as interest. You may be surprise how easily the issue will be resolved. He may not even collect the interest again after seeing how genuinely sorry you are.

The only option you have now is to beg him.

Thanks so much. I never spent his money. I have apologized and pleaded with him. I was surprised that he went ahead to jack up my car.

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Missowombo: 2:15pm On Feb 16
TheWinterBird:
Submit what car keys and documents to him? He has a lot of audacity making such demands, not to mention hijacking the car after you've returned his money. Next time, you need to think things like this through before proceeding and you should also document every transaction and with signatures just so it wouldn't be a case of 'He said, she said'.

Does that mean you sold it to him for a cheap price? No wonder he doesn't want to let it go. He got a nice car and for a cheap price (because you just wanted to hurridly make money from it) - a deal he wouldn't have been able to get elsewhere. That was simply poor business on your part.

Well, it may be something close to this. I spent 7million Naira for the purchase of that car and was to sell at only 3m. The car is neat, elegant, commands so much stare and respect wherever I drive to. I sparingly drove the vehicle as I was trying to conserve fuel.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Missowombo: 2:25pm On Feb 16
MarketDispatch:

Agreement is agreement...you kept his money and made it lose value in your account...give the man his Car since he didn't renege on the payment

The total duration of this event, from payment of his first installment to the refund of his money is 5days
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by KanuSE: 2:26pm On Feb 16
Caaz:

Our friend has changed Monika
cheesy

We miss you on our food thread. 😁
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by ajog1: 2:26pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Well, it may be something close to this. I spent 7million Naira for the purchase of that car and was to sell at only 3m. The car is neat, elegant, commands so much stare and respect wherever I drive to. I sparingly drove the vehicle as I was trying to conserve fuel.

1.Deals like this are initiated when a life is on the line. As in desperate moment. Haba, very kneel-jerky move on your part.
2. Deals like this ( whose consequence you can't bear )aren't done within familiar-confines-ground.

5 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by ajog1: 2:29pm On Feb 16
chidekings:
the buyer is even going about it the wrong way.that car is his,even if op calls the police,the buyer will win.
There's no win If the agreement ain't documented, and signed with witness, that's it, especially that installment part that added some k-leg.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Missowombo: 2:32pm On Feb 16
lionphil:

you returned his money, ONE DAY AFTER HIS LAST INSTALMENT WAS PAID. Oga you no try ooo. Why did you wait till after he finished paying? You knew all along before he completed his payments, you should have infomred him then. You just dashed his hopes when he was sure he had a car. Hos only fsult is that he didnt have a written agreement else, you for pay money wella for this breach of contract.

Thanks Man. Honestly, I was not expecting the last installment so fast, coincidentantly, that was the day the change of plans came about. I apologized so much but surprised that he went ahead to jack up the vehicle
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Missowombo: 2:40pm On Feb 16
ajog1:

1.Deals like this are initiated when a life is on the line. As in desperate moment. Haba, very kneel-jerky move on your part.
2. Deals like this ( whose consequence you can't bear )aren't done within familiar-confines-ground.

Thanks Man. We learn everyday
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by NoToPile: 2:47pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Thanks Man. The total duration of all these is 5days, from the payment of the first installment to the refund of his money. The delay with refunding his money stemmed from his refusal to release his account number to me. I have had previous transactions with him not related to the current issue, so I got his account number from there and refunded.

5 days? Like the installmentally payment and refund all occured in less than a week?

The man is a trouble lover sha. Na real wa.
you gave him at a giveaway price that's why.

I don't understand what to gain from unnecesary wahala.

Look for people that can talk to him.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by MarketDispatch: 3:16pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

The total duration of this event, from payment of his first installment to the refund of his money is 5days

Yesterday alone pounds to naira went up 4 times in a day...from 1967 to 1980 to 1995 to 2018... So at this present time , every minute or hour counts talkless of 5 days you mentioned above.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by TheWinterBird(f): 5:28pm On Feb 16
Dang. From 7m to 3m? You gave him a good deal, hence it was your loss and his gain. One would think he would play fair thereafter but like the typical Nigerian, he used to opportunity to go gangster and roughen the whole thing up in your eyes, attempting to claim a car that's not his. He's no different from a thief. You gotta be smarter next time! Futhermore, if the car's this great, you shouldn't have been so quick to sell it, at least not for a price that wasn't up to its worth. You also shouldn't have accepted the payment in installments; you were already selling it at a much lower price and if he couldn't pay in full upfront, you shouldn't have released the car to him. Lastly, next time, know the type of person you're doing business with; if they're of poor character and ethics, take your business elsewhere.

Missowombo:

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by We4all: 5:34pm On Feb 16
Dude, take the money and give him the car back or go and sell the car to another buyer. Under no circumstances should you drive that car again or you may regret it.

As an after thought, I must confess that you were wrong for reneging on the agreement but your neighbor is also troublesome for trying to challenge you. It's obvious you guys don't have a cordial relationship or he wouldn't be acting this way.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:54pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option

You sold your car. Then you changed your mind because vehicle was in your possession. If it was in his possession, we would not hear this story.

A gentleman's agreement is really abused in this part of the world.

11 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by laivwire(m): 6:05pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

The total duration of this event, from payment of his first instalment to the refund of his money is 5days

You're either not telling the complete truth or you are embellishing it. Instalment payment is not a matter of 5 days

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Brandiebird: 6:20pm On Feb 16
I’m not a “business man” but I know what’s right and wrong and you op are wrong. You sold the car and received payment therefore the car is no longer yours. You made an error in judgment and someone took advantage of your ignorance therefore you should take this as an expensive lesson learned. That’s the right thing to do, what you decide to do is entirely up to you.

7 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by BarrElChapo(m): 6:20pm On Feb 16
GAZZUZZ:

You sold your car. Then you changed your mind because vehicle was in your possession. If it was in his possession, we would not hear this story.

A gentleman's agreement is really abused in this part of the world.

It's not even a gentleman's agreement anymore, that's a contract there cos all the elements that make for a valid contract can be seen I.e.
Offer, Acceptance and Consideration (the agreed sum).

The seller should compensate the buyer cos the buyer has very valid claims to the vehicle.

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by casualobserver: 8:03pm On Feb 16
a
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by twilliamx(m): 8:04pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.

Oga give ur neighbor his car keys. E no send u to sell car be 4.. u miscalculated.. accept your mistake and move on

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Customised3(f): 8:05pm On Feb 16
Hmmm
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Coolcat95: 8:05pm On Feb 16
I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Coolcat95: 8:07pm On Feb 16
I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car.

Bizzness gone wrong

CHECK AM NA IF NA YOU U GO GREE?
GUY NA TO PAY WITH INTEREST OR YOU GIVE THE CAR

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Angel55555(m): 8:10pm On Feb 16
ExudeLoveToAll:
Transaction has been completed without you even knowing.

If I was your neighbor, I will proceed to a court and have an injunction restraining you or anyone from driving that car until the suite has been entertained by the court to determine the legitimate owner of that vehicle.

Mind you this suit can take five years to determine, no issue will drive that vehicle and the good thing is that he already has his money back as a guarantee meaning he has nothing to loose in making life difficult for you as a dishonest business man.

An oral agreement is admissible in court mind you and he has bank transactions to corroborate his oral evidence. People like you who think you can repudiate an agreement when the other party has fully complied with the terms of the agreement should be taught shown a precedence so that you don't do it to other people in the future.

In your mind you are smart, you don't even know the buyer has lost money because of future value of money. That you find yourself in this predicament has nothing to do with the buyer, business has been completed and there is nothing you can do about it. No court will give you custody of that vehicle of this matter gets to court.

The best for you is to seek peaceful settlement outside of the court process else you will loose everywhere.
Legally, the car belongs to the neighbour. He made an offer that was accepted, he paid the agreed consideration, the car belongs to him. The neighbour should sue him for breach of contract, and he should also demand damages.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by twilliamx(m): 8:13pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.

He paid her/him in full

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by meum: 8:14pm On Feb 16
Oga you no Dey sell the car again period. Tell am say you want give your papa the car or you want use am. Which one be jack motor carry two people make dem come guard the car?

If you use peace follow am E no gree, change am for am. I hate such take am by force attitude

The same area boys that grabbed, snatched and ran away with ballot boxes? Is it not that “grab it, snatch it & run away” that brought us where we are now? Change am for am jare! He wants to buy cheap & resell. Whatever he paid, calculate his interest & pay him off. If he doesn’t want it get an army friend make dem show am craze. M*dn3ss get level.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by DJInfluence: 8:15pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale.
Written or not, you had a contract. Ever heard of oral contact? You should honour the contract. It's not your neighbour's fault that you couldn't get another car at a cheaper price. In develop countries, if your neighbour decides to buy another car elsewhere at a much higher price, you will have to pay the difference in the higher price. You basically reneged on your obligation and it's a crime. Give him his car and document.

Update!!
Those posts supporting you are ignorant of the law. And are talking from emotions. Law has no emotion. What's wrong is wrong and you my dear are wrong.

6 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Sacrosanct12(m): 8:15pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.
clean your mouth, Take handkerchief .
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Belial06: 8:15pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:

Empty barrel

4 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by fineboynl(m): 8:16pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Going by your gentleman agreement, there shouldn't have been an issue since it was an informal deal all along.

However, keeping his money even for 2 weeks before returning it back is a loss for him going by our galloping inflation.

You denied him good use of his funds and now returning it without interest.

By reneging on the deal, he comes off the greatest loser.

Thanks Man. The total duration of all these is 5days, from the payment of the first installment to the refund of his money. The delay with refunding his money stemmed from his refusal to release his account number to me. I have had previous transactions with him not related to the current issue, so I got his account number from there and refunded.
look for people buy them drink to help you beg this man. Nor be gragra something oh. Just try to calm him down and beg. Buy community drink and appeals. Add 10% interest

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by gr8child(m): 8:16pm On Feb 16
Atk1nson:

The good thing is he paid by instalment.

In the normal course of business, title is not transferred until full payment is made.

So even if you made a commitment to sell to him upon (full) payment, the fact that you rescinded the decision before he made full payment puts you in the green.

However, if he can prove he did borrow to make that purchase, you may owe him the interest on the loan as he took the loan because you gave him a legitimate expectation that the car could be his.

However, if he has made full payment, that becomes tricky as you are reneging on a verbal contract and should compensate him well for the inconvenience

Lol. That’s not the correct position at all. The deal was struck the moment that the seller agreed to start receiving payment in instalments from the buyer. If the buyer had stopped paying the seller would have been entitled to go to court and seek what is called an order of specific performance.

Imagine if you paid for a house off plan and have been paying all your milestone instalments on time, then the developer comes and says he’s not selling to you again then returns your money and goes to sell the same house to someone who has offered him more money than you. You would be entitled to go to court and get an order to force the seller to stick to the terms of the deal that was struck. .

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by sokunji(m): 8:17pm On Feb 16
That car became the man's own the moment he paid his first installment as agreed. So paying the last installment as agreed completed the deal.. if the reverse was the case, and prices of cars crashed drastically and the man asked for his money back after he had paid his last installment and you had paid for your dream car, would you be yammering this online?

Honestly, we are too dishonest and our leaders are a true reflection of our lives. Look at the amount of people condemning the buyer, for following up with an agreement. He should have gotten a lawyer to sign an agreement with his good neighbour... He kept his own part of the deal, if you want the car back, ask him to sell it to you. He would sell at his own price.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Would You Buy This Almost Brand New 1985 BMW 323i For N30m? (photos) / Customs Provides Code For Vehicle Owners To Verify Their Customs Papers / Work In Progress (vw Beetle)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.