Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,884 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira (28327 Views)

Man Sprays Bagful of Dollar Notes From Upstairs to Passers-by in Shopping Mall / CBN To Refund ₦35 Million Capital Deposits To BDC Applicants / CBN's New Policy On Cash Deposits: Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Islie: 11:51am On Feb 16
Banks are inducing their customers to sell the foreign currencies domiciled in their branches, The Nation has learnt.

Some of the banks, it was discovered, have developed platforms to sensitise customers on how the dollar deposits in their domiciliary accounts can be converted to naira.

In a note via SMS to customers, some of the banks said domiciliary account holders can change United States (U.S.) dollars in their accounts to naira directly on its internet banking platform instantly.

The SMS read: “It is as instant as a regular transfer between accounts. The service is available between 9am to 4pm Mondays to Fridays, excluding public holidays.

“Customers are expected to log into their internet banking platform, go to FX transaction portal and select FX sales.”

Although the bank claimed the rate was competitive, it pegged transaction rate at N1, 450 to the dollar.

The rate was lower than the N1, 510/$ exchange rate at the black market yesterday.

The bank also pegged the daily transaction limit at $50,000.

When contacted, a staff of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), confirmed the development, saying: “Yes, it is true that banks may contact customers who have domiciliary accounts and recommend converting their foreign currency to naira.

“However, it is important to note that this is not a mandatory directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Rather, it is simply a service being offered by the banks.”

The anonymous official noted: “Currently, the official exchange rate for selling foreign currency is actually higher than the black market rate. Therefore, converting through your bank could be a beneficial option.

“Having more foreign currency flow through official channels will help to stabilize the market and boost the economy.

“It is important to understand that banks are in the business of facilitating financial transactions, including foreign exchange.

“While they may suggest converting your foreign currency, the decision ultimately lies with you. There is no obligation to sell your foreign currency, even if your bank recommends it.”

An official at a commercial bank told this newspaper that “We will not be the one to initiate that move but if we have customers who may have inflows and want to sell, what we will do is to tell the customer to write an instruction that I have so and so amount inflow, please sell at the prevailing rate.

“We will now broadcast and tell other customers that we have someone who wants to sell, so amount provided we have people that agree to whatever rate the customer is willing to sell.

“But the reality is, if a customer is selling and he says I want to offload at N1,400 and we don’t have someone who is willing to buy at that rate, we will continue to push until we get someone, but if eventually they don’t see anybody, they can now say please reduce it. That’s the essence of willing buyer willing seller.

“But he will definitely be the one to initiate that request, not the bank. We cannot prompt them because it will look like we are forcing them to sell”.

Although the black market exists, it operates outside official regulations and carries inherent risks.

Utilizing official channels like banks is generally considered safer and more transparent.

https://thenationonlineng.net/banks-induce-customers-on-conversion-of-dollar-deposits-to-naira/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by RepoMan007: 11:53am On Feb 16
Lol. He should come clean and tell us the situation of things.

Most people are waiting for dollar to hit N5000 or N10000 before selling and may not yield to the bank's request.

Cancel petrol, electricity subsidies and import food at federal level. He is doing strong head. Farmers won't double their output overnight in an industry dominated by unlearned folks. Never. Import food now or regret it.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by thesicilian: 11:53am On Feb 16

The SMS read: “It is as instant as a regular transfer between accounts. The service is available between 9am to 4pm Mondays to Fridays, excluding public holidays.
Now that the government needs the money, direct conversation of dollars to naira is possible within seconds. But when poor students need dollars for international fees payments, they will fill forms and wait for weeks and months.
I laugh in foreign language.

What I fear most is that they might begin forcefully converting these dorm accounts to naira if the owners don't agree, or placing illegal charges on the accounts to siphone the money little by little.

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by franchasofficia: 11:58am On Feb 16
Lolz
Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by RepoMan007: 12:03pm On Feb 16
thesicilian:

What I fear most is that they might begin forcefully converting these dorm accounts to naira if the owners don't agree, or placing illegal charges on the accounts to siphone the money little by little.
Buhari once attempted borrowing from dead people. They hide the problems and try to act like they are in charge.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by TheGiftedOne(m): 12:03pm On Feb 16
Blockchain technology you do this one for me.

Thank you crypto.

Darling USDT.

🙌

58 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Paraman: 12:06pm On Feb 16
RepoMan007:

Most people are waiting for dollar to hit N5000 or N10000 before selling and may not yield to the bank's request.

Cancel petrol, electricity subsidies and import food at federal level. He is doing strong head. Farmer won't double their output overnight in industry dominated by unlearned folks. Never. Import food now or regret it.
I wander why the Government don't want to import food on the short run... I don't just understand.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by SoNature(m): 12:08pm On Feb 16
Telling people who have USD in their dorm accounts to sell them to banks won't save this country. This government knows the drastic measures they have to take to increase Nigeria's USD liquidity. The only problem is that their interests will be hurt and they will lose a lot of money in the process.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Emman08: 12:08pm On Feb 16
Why this desperation for dollars? 100% sure it's Yemi Cardoso's CBN putting pressure on the banks to get the dollars at all cost. At this rate they may seize customers deposits o. Is this their revenue drive?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by HateBigots: 12:09pm On Feb 16
grin grin... Bulaba came to steal, kill and destroy.
He has achieved the first two.
It remains to destroy
grin grin

30 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by sofeo(m): 12:10pm On Feb 16
Alright.
Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Dialpad: 12:10pm On Feb 16
Induce as in ?, please don't induce any nonsense here.

1 Like

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by nairalanda1(m): 12:11pm On Feb 16
Governemt is getting desperate for dollars.

7 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by tetralogyfallot(m): 12:11pm On Feb 16
Xndndnd
Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by gaby(m): 12:12pm On Feb 16
Kalo Kalo

Goodbye to domiciliary accounts.

8 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by JigsawKillah(m): 12:12pm On Feb 16
This is Peter Obi's fault.
If he had stayed in his house instead of contesting, Cardi B would've known what to do and Banks wouldn't have been this useless.

18 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by ProudNigerian01: 12:12pm On Feb 16
Don't just claim you know God, show it in your thoughts, words and actions.

You can deny God in your actions and the places you go. Don't go to where Jesus would not want to be found. Don't do what Jesus wouldn't do.

Titus.1.16 - They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.

God bless you. Amen.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Prolificgiant(m): 12:13pm On Feb 16
Why do we like to appreciate anything foreign than our own,let's learn to appreciate our own. For your nysc deployment or redeployment, check my signature and reach out to me

1 Like

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by NuCypher: 12:13pm On Feb 16
TheGiftedOne:

Thank you crypto.

Darling USDT.

🙌
Learn about USDT. What you are holding is toxic asset. Even the tether organisation doesn't have 1:1 assets to back USDT. You guys holding USDT are all going to burn one day. I said it.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by chloride6: 12:13pm On Feb 16
I don’t know the general public can’t have access to a willing buyer and seller model.

1 Like

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by WantsandMore: 12:13pm On Feb 16
RepoMan007:

Cancel petrol, electricity subsidies and import food at federal level. He is doing strong head. Farmer won't double their output overnight in industry dominated by unlearned folks. Never. Import food now or regret it.
importing food never solves a problem. If it did. We wouldn't be in this situation

16 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Cholls(m): 12:13pm On Feb 16
My brothers and sisters monkey dey work baboon dey chop. Thief thief banks

2 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Temidayo9(m): 12:13pm On Feb 16
thesicilian:

Now that the government needs the money, direct conversation of dollars to naira is possible within seconds. But when poor students need dollars for international fees payments, they will fill forms and wait for weeks and months.
I laugh in foreign language.

Poor students don't have Naira let alone Dollars

6 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Akfrenzy(m): 12:14pm On Feb 16
grin
Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Seequadry(m): 12:15pm On Feb 16
10 vessel of forign rice into this economy will balance many things up..... But the power that be must not be touched, let the opoor continue to suffer

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by RepoMan007: 12:15pm On Feb 16
WantsandMore:
importing food never solves a problem. If it did. We wouldn't be in this situation
I am not talking of giving money to people to go and buy it. I am talking o govt buying it in bulk and allowing the people pay closer to the real value for it.

5 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by tefund(m): 12:16pm On Feb 16
Following!
Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by EverythingPhone(m): 12:17pm On Feb 16
There’s hunger in the land
Why is the military not saying anything
Dem no fit do coup with all this hardship

Meanwhile I track lost or stolen phones or devices at an affordable fee a trial will definitely convince you

Contact me via siggy below

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by waveman2: 12:18pm On Feb 16
But must you get physical dollar from your domiciliary account while you are here in Nigeria.They should be restricted to only electronic payment but if you want physical cash you get equivalent in naira.we actually spend naira here not dollars.

5 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Goodlady(f): 12:18pm On Feb 16
It's red on those with dollar account or what?
People's had earned sweat?💦
Madness!

2 Likes

Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by alimiadedayo1: 12:18pm On Feb 16
TheGiftedOne:

Thank you crypto.

Darling USDT.

🙌
pls can you teach me about USDT
Re: Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira by Mindlog: 12:18pm On Feb 16
Yimu. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Can I Buy Gold In Kano? / Nigerian Man Humiliated At A Bank Over A White Man Tells His Story / Dangote Acquires 2,500 Trucks For Cement, Fertiliser Distribution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.