Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,919 members, 7,824,863 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court (1347 Views)

Unlawful Practices: A Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court / Soko Loan Has Finally Defamed Me (pictures) / Best Bank To Open A Savings Account In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 7:49pm On Feb 16
The Two Suits are filed at ; THE HIGH COURT OF ANAMBRA STATE
IN THE ONITSHA JUDICIAL DIVISION
HOLDEN AT ONITSHA . Suit Adj; 24th April, 2024

Ground : Defamation and Fundamental right enforcement ( Separate Suits)

I’m Bonaventure Oluka , Director at Horizons Eagles Ltd

So what actually happened??

Before the briefing , We are into thrift/daily collection (Ajo) . Trust and Reputation is the key in our business

Some time last year , I narrated how Sterling bank through her agent Stormed my place of business in the presence of my customers and alleged that we fraudulently obtained a loan from them . This happened on the 12th of august 2023 at 3pm .

The angry looking policemen who lead this operation left us speechless . They were all looking like they would shoot anyone who says a word. The fear in the eyes of my workers and customers who were around was something I have never seen before

They immediately pounced on my operational manager who happens to be my brother , turned him to a punch bang , before taking him away on handcuffs. They made sure he was beaten till he couldn’t raise an arm . They bundled him into their vehicle and went away .

The only thing they could say was “come with the money you owe to Central police station “
I immediately left for Central police station to actually understand what was going on .

On getting there, they said that the DPO was not around and they can’t listen to me unless I give them the money we owe . I became more confused . I was hearing my brother’s voice from the inside where he was been tortured .

In his voice , “I didn’t take the loan I only recommend my mum “ . The IPO later came out to say the same thing they told my customers, “that we defrauded the bank “ . When I got 5 mins to talk to my brother . I asked him if he obtained a loan in my companies name , but he said no . In fact , he said that he obtained a personal loan from them in the past and paid in full . That he recommended our mother afterwards to the same marketer but he doesn’t know that my mother was yet to offset her loan in full

I asked her if he was a guarantor to the said loan , but he said no . Was the loan in any way obtained for or in the name of my company , but he said no . I asked him of a Nexus between the said Loan and my company , but he said non. He further said that the marketer only knows where he works

They kept my brother for 3 days even when my mother went there to tell them that the loan has got nothing to do with my brother . And that she only defaulted for 2 months after the death of my father . They insisted on keeping my brother while inflicting more injuries on him

My siblings out fear and against my stand sent them ( the bank ) 200k , this was the amount they demanded after keeping him for 3 days

By the time my bother was out , everything had turned around in my company . The news went far and near . That was the beginning of our bottomless downfall , the rest became history . No one ever want to trust a fraudulent company . Everyone believed it , because it came from a commercial bank

I wrote to Sterling bank narrating everything that happened and the impact on my business and my brother’s health conditions . They replied in a vague way (promised to look into it ) after apologizing on call .

I waited to no avail , I moved from anxiety as a result of unending pressure from my misinformed customers to full time depression. I started taking Amitriptyline to fight this disorder . My staffs started resigning out fear of our misinformed customers . The ones that didn’t want to resign were forced to resign by their parents/partners

That was when I remembered the statement made by agent of the bank in the police cell “go to court “ . I demanded for both loan agreement and loan Offer later from the said loan . I figured out that neither my company nor my brother ( my operational manager was indicted ) I started gathering evidences . I got everything I needed, then proceeded to make consultations in both legal and bank sectors .

I realized that everything they did was illegal and would still be illegal even if my brother has taken the said loan , even though he didn’t .

After waiting for 2 more months and they didn’t say anything aside “sorry” , I reached out to my lawyers and demanded that they come up with a legal team.

We worked tirelessly for one more month before establishing a very strong ground for the “Enforcement of fundamental right and Defamation of character “ . We filed today and we hope to see them in court soon .

6 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by osmosis101(m): 8:12pm On Feb 16
Sue dem 30billion and join the 30BG..

5 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Thundafireseun: 8:29pm On Feb 16
Mstheeeeew

You can never win this case ….. Your legal team just want to defraud you

1…. The bank will sack the staff and claim that he acted on his own without the approval or consent from sterling bank

2… Nigeria legal system is terrible…. Instead of the bank to pay you for the damages and deformation of character…. The bank will simply take a token to the Judge in charge of the case….
And the Judge will either frustrate you the more by adjourning your case until you get tired

This is a fight you’re not designed to win Oga

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Jogs1900: 8:41pm On Feb 16
Thundafireseun:
Mstheeeeew

1…. The bank will sack the staff and claim that he acted on his own without the approval or consent from sterling bank

2… Nigeria legal system is terrible…. Instead of the bank to pay you for the damages and deformation of character…. The bank will simply take a token to the Judge in charge of the case….
And the Judge will either frustrate you the more by adjourning your case until you get tired

You are smart...No evidence the bank knows about it...He should have asked them to apologise first officially which they may do using their letterhead and use it against them later in the court and claim damages.Now, OP has given them room to deny their actions.

2 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 8:49pm On Feb 16
Thundafireseun:
Mstheeeeew

Lol
Nice analysis . Till then bro
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 9:04pm On Feb 16
Jogs1900:

You are smart...No evidence the bank knows about it...He should have asked them to apologise first officially which they may do using their letterhead and use it against them later in the court and claim damages.Now, OP has given them room to deny their actions.

Imagine you talking about smartness , with this your IQ level , lol

Beer parlor analysis. I should have consulted you instead of SANs . I just figured out I wasted my time based on your analysis, lol

The Commissioner of police was even joined in the suit , maybe he would deny that he didn’t send the DPO and The DPO will deny that he didn’t send the IPO then the IPO will deny that he didn’t send his boys.

Even my little nephew knows of “Vicarious liability” . Anyone can intimidate you and walk away bro

So many things is just wrong with this country

8 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Jogs1900: 9:43pm On Feb 16
concho:

Imagine you talking about smartness , with this your IQ level , lol

Beer parlor analysis. I should have consulted you instead of SANs . I just figured out I wasted my time based on your analysis, lol

The Commissioner of police was even joined in the suit , maybe he would deny that he didn’t send the DPO and The DPO will deny that he didn’t send the IPO then the IPO would deny that he didn’t send his boys.

Even my little nephew knows of “Vicarious liability” . Anyone can intimidate you and walk away bro

So many things is just wrong with this country

If you know you will insult us with your post, you shouldn't have brought it to a public forum..

Have sense with your utterances.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 9:52pm On Feb 16
Jogs1900:

If you know you will insult us with your post, you shouldn't have brought it to a public forum..

Have sense with your utterances.

Sorry about my outburst bro . I’m very sorry ok
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by thesicilian: 9:54pm On Feb 16
Thundafireseun:
Mstheeeeew

Cowards like you are part of the reason this country is the way it is. What you don't understand it is better to ask further questions
Look up the meaning of Vicarious liability, as long as that staff works for the bank and came to harass him in his capacity as a staff of the bank they are responsible. He has a very good case against them.

The same legal system you are complaining about is serving justice to millions of Nigerians everyday. But it's only the bad cases you people will hear about and broadcast.

I myself in 2014 took a bank and at the end of the day they begged to settle out of court. Unfortunately I cannot reveal the details for my own anonymity protection and because it was part of the settlement agreement.

He's doing the right thing, he has taken all the necessary steps and I fully support him.

12 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Jogs1900: 9:57pm On Feb 16
concho:

Sorry about my outburst bro . I’m very sorry ok
We are cool bro..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by otomatic(m): 10:03pm On Feb 16
Having sued them, should you still bring the matter up for public discussion?
Isn't it sub-judice?

2 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 10:11pm On Feb 16
otomatic:
Having sued them, should you still bring the matter up for public discussion?
Isn't it sub-judice?
I have not seen a law that prohibits publication of law suit . I will still brief all news outlets in due time .

My customers are everywhere and them Knowing that we have taken a legal step would further convince them that we are actually not guilty of the Said accusations .

You can further clarify me if it’s against the law bro

10 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by thesicilian: 10:13pm On Feb 16
concho:
I have not seen a law that prohibits publication of law suit . I will still brief all news outlets in due time .

My customers are everywhere and them Knowing that we have taken a legal step would further convince them that we are actually not guilty of the Said accusations .

If the case is in court, then you shouldn't be discussing the details online. Of course it is not illegal per se but you shouldn't. Discuss this with your lawyers

1 Like

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by otomatic(m): 10:13pm On Feb 16
concho:

I'm not in the legal profession. I was just asking because I notice that most times people don't want to talk about a matter which is in court.
I think you should consult your lawyers.
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 10:26pm On Feb 16
thesicilian:

If the case is in court, then you shouldn't be discussing the details online. Of course it is not illegal per se but you shouldn't. Discuss this with your lawyers

I perfectly understand bro . I know how publication of suit works . I narrated what happened without any additional quantity. It’s for the sake of my business and I haven’t even in anyway talked down on the defendants . They did worse than what I even narrated but I hate talking down on other business .

I have a limit and I haven’t exceeded it . Thanks anyways

3 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Thundafireseun: 11:54pm On Feb 16
Jogs1900:

Exactly my point… thesicilian I advise you read and learn more

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Mikespecialone(m): 12:49am On Feb 17
osmosis101:
Sue dem 30billion and join the 30BG..

I support
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Namaster: 4:05am On Feb 17
Good one!

It's high time one of these useless companies paid for their crimes.

It doesn't matter what anyone says, any denial by Sterling Bank is FUTILE.

First of all, the staff or whoever it was ACTED as an agent of the bank by violating your rights, beating up your brother and destroying your business in order to recover a loan that was given by STERLING BANK.

Next, they apologized. grin
Lawyers get a boner whenever a useless company apologizes. grin

By the way, I hope you have records of all your communications with the criminals.

By the way beating, intimidating and arresting people because they owe you money is ILLEGAL. Ordinary folks may get away with it but not a company listed on the NSE.

By the way, how much are you suing them for?

No matter the amount, it's not enough. Multiply it by 10,000,000 minimum.

They killed your business.
They killed your mental health.
They killed your livelihood in a dire economy.
They NEARLY killed your brother.

Make them pay!

Also, try to raise as much awareness as you can. That's why you need to sue them for a HUUUGE amount. The amount alone can bring publicity to the vase.

Also, talk to newspapers and blogs.

1 Like

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Thundafireseun: 7:46am On Feb 17
thesicilian:

Cowards like you are part of the reason this country is the way it is. What you don't understand it is better to ask further questions
Look up the meaning of Vicarious liability, as long as that staff works for the bank and came to harass him in his capacity as a staff of the bank they are responsible. He has a very good case against them.

The same legal system you are complaining about is serving justice to millions of Nigerians everyday. But it's only the bad cases you people will hear about and broadcast.

I myself in 2014 took a bank and at the end of the day they begged to settle out of court. Unfortunately I cannot reveal the details for my own anonymity protection and because it was part of the settlement agreement.

He's doing the right thing, he has taken all the necessary steps and I fully support him.

You just called me a coward but I will ignore you today…. In 2014 what happened to you was that your money was stolen either from a bank staff or a yahoo boy..

The only reason banks rush for settlement is if an only when a customer’s money was stolen or fraudulently removed from their accounts… the bank will only rush for settlement because they don’t want to give other customers the impression that their money is not safe in their bank…

I was inside a new generational bank when armed robbers attacked and stole everything from the vault…
But the official news was that the robbers couldn’t penetrate their vault, just to boost customers confidence
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Musty112: 7:58am On Feb 17
The justice system is rotten yen yen yen...commit crime fess, u go see. Op don't pay any attention to the naysayers, you've got a very good case. Someone I know got judgement against an anti graft agency and not even satisfied with the damages awarded and is even going on appeal. I am very sure he is going to get judgement in his favour again at the appeal court. We don't sue or get sued enough in this country, that's why everything goes. The guy that Davido's aide slapped on tape the other day does not even know the goldmine he is sitting on top. @Op pls keep this thread updated

1 Like

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by Johnweeked12: 8:54am On Feb 17
I see some comments here and i realize some people are born cowards, naysayers, yes men and that mental slavery and the worthlessness they feel about themselves is on a different pedestal. A human being like you took the time to share the inhumane treatment, embarrassment and defamation of his character, the loss of his livelihood and so much more and ALL you could muster with that rotten brain of yours is all the reasons he should not seek redress in court against a company that has 70% ruined him except a miracle happens. That cowardice is how you feel about yourself. Piece of sh111111111t

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by ruggedtimi(m): 8:57am On Feb 17
concho:

Before the briefing , We are into thrift/daily collection (Ajo) . Trust and Reputation is the key in our business

Some time last year , I narrated how Sterling bank through her agent Stormed my place of business in the presence of my customers and alleged that we fraudulently obtained a loan from them . This happened on the 12th of august 2023 at 3pm .

The angry looking policemen who lead this operation left us speechless . They were all looking like they would shoot anyone who says a word. The fear in the eyes of my workers and customers who were around was something I have never seen before

They immediately pounced on my operational manager who happens to be my brother , turned him to a punch bang , before taking him away on handcuffs. They made sure he was beaten till he couldn’t raise an arm . They bundled him into their vehicle and went away .

The only thing they could say was “come with the money you owe to Central police station “
I immediately left for Central police station to actually understand what was going on .

On getting there, they said that the DPO was not around and they can’t listen to me unless I give them the money we owe . I became more confused . I was hearing my brother’s voice from the inside where he was been tortured .

In his voice , “I didn’t take the loan I only recommend my mum “ . The IPO later came out to say the same thing they told my customers, “that we defrauded the bank “ . When I got 5 mins to talk to my brother . I asked him if he obtained a loan in my companies name , but he said no . In fact , he said that he obtained a personal loan from them in the past and paid in full . That he recommended our mother afterwards to the same marketer but he doesn’t know that my mother was yet to offset her loan in full

I asked her if he was a guarantor to the said loan , but he said no . Was the loan in any way obtained for or in the name of my company , but he said no . I asked him of a Nexus between the said Loan and my company , but he said non. He further said that the marketer only knows where he works

They kept my brother for 3 days even when my mother went there to tell them that the loan has got nothing to do with my brother . And that she only defaulted for 2 months after the death of my father . They insisted on keeping my brother while inflicting more injuries on him

My siblings out fear and against my stand sent them ( the bank ) 200k , this was the amount they demanded after keeping him for 3 days

By the time my bother was out , everything had turned around in my company . The news went far and near . That was the beginning of our bottomless downfall , the rest became history . No one ever want to trust a fraudulent company . Everyone believed it , because it came from a commercial bank

I wrote to Sterling bank narrating everything that happened and the impact on my business and my brother’s health conditions . They replied in a vague way (promised to look into it ) after apologizing on call .

I waited to no avail , I moved from anxiety as a result of unending pressure from my misinformed customers to full time depression. I started taking Amitriptyline to fight this disorder . My staffs started resigning out fear of our misinformed customers . The ones that didn’t want to resign were forced to resign by their parents/partners

That was when I remembered the statement made by agent of the bank in the police cell “go to court “ . I demanded for both loan agreement and loan Offer later from the said loan . I figured out that neither my company nor my brother ( my operational manager was indicted ) I started gathering evidences . I got everything I needed, then proceeded to make consultations in both legal and bank sectors .

I realized that everything they did was illegal and would still be illegal even if my brother has taken the said loan , even though he didn’t .

After waiting for 2 more months and they didn’t say anything aside “sorry” , I reached out to my lawyers and demanded that they come up with a legal team.

We worked tirelessly for one more month before establishing a very strong ground for the “Enforcement of fundamental right and Defamation of character “ . We filed today and we hope to see them in court soon .
na only gangstars dey collect their loan money back by force. The reason banks ask for collateral/interest because they cant effect an arrest because of an unpaid loan.

1 Like

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by ekelebeXstunner: 10:32am On Feb 17
Update me with the final result. Too many threads here end without resolution.

1 Like

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 10:37am On Feb 17
thesicilian:

are you on WhatsApp?

1 Like

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by WantsandMore: 12:12pm On Feb 17
concho:

Sorry about your experience op, but what's your end goal? Your exit Strategy If things don't go your way? Everything you've read here in support or lack off should prepare you for any eventuality. Don't forget self preservation is bigger than Ego
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 12:17pm On Feb 17
WantsandMore:
Sorry about your experience op, but what's your end goal? Your exit Strategy If things don't go your way? Everything you've read here in support or lack off should prepare you for any eventuality. Don't forget self preservation is bigger than Ego

Thanks man
I will appeal if it doesn’t go my way at first trial . I have lost everything, I have nothing more to lose . But it’s unfortunate that I’m born in this country

2 Likes

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by thesicilian: 3:28pm On Feb 17
concho:
are you on WhatsApp?
Yeah. Why?
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 3:35pm On Feb 17
thesicilian:

Yeah. Why?
nothing serious bro . Can I text you
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by thesicilian: 3:59pm On Feb 17
concho:
nothing serious bro . Can I text you
My email is on my profile
Send message directly
I'll send you my WhatsApp via email
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 4:15pm On Feb 17
thesicilian:

My email is on my profile
Send message directly
I'll send you my WhatsApp via email
I tried , it didn’t go through

Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by thesicilian: 4:28pm On Feb 17
concho:
I tried , it didn’t go through
It's .com
Re: No Gree For Anybody: Nairalander Has Finally Taken Sterling Bank To Court by concho(m): 4:29pm On Feb 17
thesicilian:

It's .com
Thanks , I have sent you a mail

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fruit Juice Maker/company / I Am In Need Of Ideas On Interlock Tiles Manufacturing. / Mobile Kitchen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.