Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. (1056 Views)

Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? / Antony J. Blinken To Visit Nigeria This Month / 'The Famine That Will Hit Nigeria This Year, Only God Can Save Us' - Jamil Mabai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by AsaBlackheart(m): 4:41am On Feb 19
nlreserve:
U no sabi read history. Na the period of Adam and Eve u go read. Read the period of 1957 to 1960

Do you understand the meaning of 15th and 16th century empire?
It's different from the Biafra case.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Reflect7: 11:04am On Feb 22
Topman7:
It won't surprise me if the ancestors are working against us because we abandoned them to embrace the English, from religion to even the naming of our land, when we have so many great kingdoms and empires we can use to name ourselves.

Countries with indigenous names like Kenya, Ghana, Mali, Burkina Faso, Benin, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania etc all seem more serious and patriotic in the way they do things, with far less corruption and abuse of office.

It is our total political disconnectedness from the past that makes us unpatriotic and corrupt, because we are like a tree without roots.

Very good point.
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Reflect7: 11:07am On Feb 22
Babaibeji2020:

.......methinks you need to see a doctor.....fast...!

Why? The OP is thinking outside the box and using his head, unlike you. Mr inertia.
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Reflect7: 11:13am On Feb 22
Sirianese:

Na ya papa name be Songhai idiat

You are obviously an awusa goat, red-fula

Low IQ. Is Nigeria your mother’s name?

The English who massacred, enslaved, and colonised you, looting your resources for centuries, did 1000 times more evil against you than what any Hausa-Fulani did.

Don’t use your brain. Mumu.
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by gidgiddy: 11:31am On Feb 22
Topman7:
I'm tired of this English name, Nigeria.

Large parts of this nation were part and parcel of the mighty Songhai Empire.

Songhai Empire

Other nations have taken up the names of the other powerful empires like Ghana and Mali, Benin etc.

It is now for us to take the last one SONGHAI and make it ours!

To hell with the name Nigeria!

Welcome to the Federal Republic of Songhai!! angry

Songhai? As an Igbo man, I have no connection with anything called Songhai and I dont like empires. Let's hold a referendum, disintegrate peacefully and everyone can go and choose their respective names

The alternative is to keep answering a British colonial slave name called "Nigeria"

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Reflect7: 11:35am On Feb 22
gidgiddy:

Songhai? As an Igbo man, I have no connection with anything called Songhai and I dont like empires. Let's hold a referendum, disintegrate peacefully and everyone can go and choose their respective names

The alternative is to keep answering a British colonial slave name called "Nigeria"

But the people of Ghana have no connection with the Ghana Empire whose name they adopted.

I think your problem is that you are a tribalist bigot, which is really backward for this 21st century digital age.

You’re like a dinosaur from the pre-stone age era.
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by gidgiddy: 11:47am On Feb 22
Reflect7:

But the people of Ghana have no connection with the Ghana Empire whose name they adopted.

I think your problem is that you are a tribalist bigot, which is really backward for this 21st century digital age.

You’re like a dinosaur from the pre-stone age era.

To each their own, if someone wants to answer the name of an empire, they can do so, but they must not force anyone who does not accept the name to do so. As an Igbo man, I have no connection to Songhai and Igbos don't like empires.

That's why its better to hold referendum, go our different ways and choose our individual names. That the British brought us together does not mean we must be together forever
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Reflect7: 11:54am On Feb 22
gidgiddy:

To each their own, if someone wants to answer the name of an empire, they can do so, but they must not force anyone who does not accept the name to do so. As an Igbo man, I have no connection to Songhai and Igbos don't like empires.

That's why its better to hold referendum, go our different ways and choose our individual names. That the British brought us together does not mean we must be together forever

My friend many Igbo regions were part of the Benin Empire at one point or the other.

Igbos are not alien to empire.

And you really need to start seeing the world as it is, not as you wish it to be.

Nigeria is not gonna split up any more than the USA, Uganda, or China are gonna split up.

You’ll be wasting your time on this Earth pushing this futile agenda of yours.
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Iamanoited: 12:35pm On Feb 22
To hell with YOU AND YOUR SUPPORTERS. YOU SHOULD BE FIRST TO BE ARRESTED BY THE CHIEF OF DEFENSE FOR COUP PLOTTING
Orisa37
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by Babaibeji2020(m): 2:50pm On Feb 22
Reflect7:

Why? The OP is thinking outside the box and using his head, unlike you. Mr inertia.
Presently, that's the issue of utmost preference in the face of the free fall of the naira, master misplaced priority.....?
........How really dumb people like you and the clown in Aso rock still stay alive is one of the wonders of the present world.
Re: Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. by gidgiddy: 4:32pm On Feb 22
Reflect7:

My friend many Igbo regions were part of the Benin Empire at one point or the other.

Igbos are not alien to empire.

And you really need to start seeing the world as it is, not as you wish it to be.

Nigeria is not gonna split up any more than the USA, Uganda, or China are gonna split up.

You’ll be wasting your time on this Earth pushing this futile agenda of yours.

And how do you think empires are created? They are created by using violence and wars to take over other people's lands. There is nothing good about empires.

If Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and USSR could all break up, then there's nothing exceptional about the long failed British colonial contraption called Nigeria breaking up

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prime Minister Netanyahu Responds To The World Leaders Who Pressure Israel To St / Adedibu-the Untouchable / North Korea Agrees Disarmament Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.