Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance (14273 Views)

School Feeding Programme Gulps N500m During Lockdown – Minister, Sadiya Farouq / Video Of Hanan Buhari On The Presidential Jet, Waving. Shared By Aisha Buhari / Hanan Buhari Arrives Bauchi For A Photoshoot In A Presidential Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Islie: 10:33am On Feb 20
There is a growing concern over the huge maintenance cost of Nigeria’s presidential aircraft, Air Force 001, which serves President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as it gulps billions of naira.

A senior official familiar with the maintenance of the presidential fleet told Daily Trust that between the routine maintenance and purchase of parts, the aircraft had been guzzling huge amounts of money.

He said it was not a new trend as that it had been going on for a while, making the erstwhile Presidential Air Fleet Commandeer, AVM AA Yaro, to recommend that it should be demobilised.

The Air Force 001 is a 737 Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) bought during the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo at the cost of $43m.

Boeing began the production of the BBJ in 1998, and it initially cost $36m for the unfinished aircraft. It now sells for $41m for a used one and $71m for a brand new aircraft.

While the age of an aircraft does not matter in terms of its performance, our correspondent reports that the maintenance cost increases unlike newer and more modern aircraft.

It would be recalled that a month to the expiration of the tenure of former President Muhammadu Buhari, the aircraft was sent for a comprehensive maintenance ahead of the inauguration of Tinubu’s government.

But since Tinubu took over and inherited the aircraft, it has been sent for other rounds of scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance.

Sources privy to the operation of the presidential fleet confirmed that the aircraft had amassed over $5m in maintenance bills, constituting nearly half of the over $10m liabilities inherited at the presidential fleet.

A source said, “Due to the age of the aircraft, maintenance cost has increased in recent times, and the amount of money spent on maintenance is huge. I am wondering how long it would take to continue to spend this much on maintenance when it could have been disposed of and a new one purchased.”

The General Secretary, Society of Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (SLAMEN), Sheri Kyari, advised that purchasing a new one would be better to reduce the maintenance cost.

Kyari said, “It is better for the government to buy a new one. How much is a brand new aircraft? They should be able to get something much better from Boeing. For me, Boeing is still the way to go.”

Findings by our correspondent revealed that neighbouring countries have fairly newer aircraft compared to Nigeria. For instance, Ivory Coast, apart from having two Gulfstream aircraft in the presidential fleet, also operate A319 and A320 for longer trips. Senegal uses A320Neo and A319 in addition to other smaller jets.

For most African countries, the Airbus and BBJ have become the choice aircraft used for presidential movement with the capacity to convey at least 30 passengers in a VIP cabin.

An aircraft engineer who did not want his name in print said, “Even the US president’s aircraft is older than our president’s. Is the US president not flying a 747? That aircraft cannot be less than 30. You can actually put a brand new engine on an aircraft and it becomes new.

“Again, we must acknowledge that the president is an important personality. So, you cannot micromanage things for him. He deserves something better, but when we know the history and maintenance record of the aircraft, we can decide to say, ‘Okay, this is what we should do.’”

https://dailytrust.com/presidential-jet-gulps-billions-in-maintenance/

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Feintline: 10:37am On Feb 20
If this was Peter obi, the president Nigerians voted, I am 200% certain that he would do away with the unneccessary cash consuming jet for now and make use of our normal airlines.

Any leader of today's Nigeria who has the nation at heart will lead by personnel sacrifice and example to cut cost .
Seyi tinubu puts on a wrist watch worth the annual budget of a local government to tell people to endure and have patience with his father.

You cannot be telling people to endure while you, your family and associates are hipping and hopping . That is madness.

177 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Ogiame: 10:38am On Feb 20
Now fellow sane individuals, guess what Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu use the Presidential aircraft to do....

1. Visit France privately for his dwindling health.

2. Fly with the Presidential aircraft to AU summits and sleep away till they wake him up.

3. Use the Presidential aircraft to airlift the National Item 7 called Toke Makinwa to Dubai for “Climate Change”

Wasting billions of Naira (Tax payers money) on maintenance of a presidential aircraft that has not brought any positive news from the frequent round-trip.

139 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Nonny95: 10:41am On Feb 20
This is the Person his son that wears a 2m dollar wrist watch is begging Nigerians to endure for😂.

Lmao

95 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by God1000(m): 10:43am On Feb 20
In this harsh economy, Nigerian leaders are so useless, all of them.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Vinnie2000(m): 10:44am On Feb 20
And Ebola's children are telling Nigerians to be patient. undecided

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Nbote(m): 10:44am On Feb 20
One slowpoke just called on radio to claim Tinubu is the most hated President right because he took tough decisions, abeg has he gotten half the hate GEJ got

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Splashme: 11:07am On Feb 20
... when a thief is your president

17 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Inspirer1: 11:26am On Feb 20
Keep enduring.... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by HeadNigga: 11:26am On Feb 20
Fellow masses let's be patient. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by DEROX: 11:26am On Feb 20
grin keep enduring very wicked animals

5 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by lexy2014: 11:26am On Feb 20
its just the beginning. meanwhile, Tinubus children said Nigerians should bear the pain and suffering while they spend billions on frivolities

18 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Aesthetical: 11:27am On Feb 20
Nigeria politicians are thieves

7 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Offpoint1: 11:27am On Feb 20
Scrap it and let the president fly economic... His country is crashing, he should make a sacrifice.

7 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Siberia01(m): 11:27am On Feb 20
cool
Toke makinwa and Betta edu
3somes with emilokan don spoil plane tire finish lipsrsealed

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by StraightGaay: 11:27am On Feb 20
All I know is that it will favor me and my family. Finish.

4 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Jestin: 11:28am On Feb 20
We keep hearing Nigeria is broke. Dead country

5 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Kasdat5(m): 11:28am On Feb 20
Its normal for them , but we on the other hand have yo endure .

5 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Rahkman: 11:28am On Feb 20
Be patient and stop complaining my agbado slaves

8 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by officialmario(m): 11:28am On Feb 20
Iku pa eee ooo Tinubu

To feed the family now is a big problem

8 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Kingpele(m): 11:28am On Feb 20
Hahaha Hahaha...and they want the masses to be patient...the wickedness of people in power is that they can't run thier personal business the way they run the country...any serious government in the face of economic crisis will cut cost of governance and unnecessary expenditures..atleast sacrifice all these useless luxury till things become normal..but not in Nigeria...people telling the masses to endure are living in luxury rubbing it on our faces...I went to buy fuel this morning I was told that a litre is 1k ..I bought it...I bought it I have to take my kids to school...imagine spending 10k for ordinary 10litres of fuel

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by SAMBARRY: 11:29am On Feb 20
Emilokan

Tinubu are you sure you really know what is going on with Nigerians?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Moneywirer: 11:29am On Feb 20
Shame on Tinubu and everyone who supported him and still supports him.

In no time from now one dollar would go for N3000

8 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:29am On Feb 20
Islie:

Hehehehe
Balablu has a private jet
He can be using that one
All this one to push new jet down our throats when Nigerians are hungry will not work
Tinubu and goons should know curses are like missiles

6 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by saddler: 11:29am On Feb 20
lipsrsealed

Nigerian naira getting to 2k per dollar today.

4 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by jersy4: 11:30am On Feb 20
APC = Association for Political Crooks !!!
PDP = Public Dupers Party !!!

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by delzbaba(m): 11:30am On Feb 20
Who do us for this country? I remember when the Senate president was a governor in akwa ibom,he employed one guy to just sit at the airport hanger all day just to monitor the state private jet against any tampering and the guy was a graduate, total waste

10 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by AuwalYusuf812(m): 11:30am On Feb 20
Islie:

they got the money for war, but dey can't feed the poor🧑‍🦯🧑‍🦯🧑‍🦯

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Imka: 11:31am On Feb 20
Tinubu, you are an abomination before the Almighty. You stiffnecked , evil personified. God will measure out a cup of His wrath for you, a double portion, for you and your household. You will be drunk with the blood of the innocent that you have shed, and with the flesh of the children that you eat. You will stagger and tumble backwards in eternal darkness, and all your labour will turn to dust before your very eyes. Accursed thing

8 Likes

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by Noniblaq(m): 11:31am On Feb 20
Omo this Nigeria is not for the weak o. If you no get strength to face was ahead better Japa o, before you japa make sure say you dress well o, make oyibo immigration no send you back home. Check my profile thread for quality vintage shirts that will blow your mind

1 Like

Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by NPFLADMIN(m): 11:31am On Feb 20
I don't know what to say.

Honestly.
Re: Presidential Jet Gulps Billions In Maintenance by callmevirus(m): 11:31am On Feb 20
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

As long as the Ronus are being flogged to get bread and yam, if the jet like let it gulp 700trillion

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. / Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB / Obasanjo's Endorsement Of Atiku Will Not Distract President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.