Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,928 members, 7,810,580 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much (2417 Views)

NUPENG November 6 Strike: Fuel Scarcity May Worsen In Lagos, Others / Fuel Scarcity May Worsen As Marketers Threaten Strike / Russia-ukraine War: Fuel Scarcity May Continue, Oil Vessels Face Delay On Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Nbote(m): 6:05pm On Feb 21
ibechris:

U don't buy under the same market...that is what he just told u now.

He buys and stored which one did u store ? How is it the same market?

I have enough foodstuffs stored at home to last me and my family the next 3 months atleast. I buy commodities in bulk because it's cheaper that way and atleast I can afford it. I have over 600 buckets of the product I supply and deal in (each @17,500) and around 50 Cartons of other products I sell. Do you buy things like petrol, cooking gas, transportation and logistics and other services and store?? How many people will afford to buy food like that and store.
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Putinofrussia: 6:07pm On Feb 21
Entprys:

At'm ngege ! IDP camp occupied by your people nah
Just like Borno IDP camps are full of fleeing Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by reXurrectionZA(m): 6:45pm On Feb 21
aswani:

Enough of the chest beating, ah ah. Dem take am do una ni?
"arrogant is the attitude of a god." I am proud of my people, and you should also be proud of yours. I am not stopping you, it is a free world... If igbo celebrate you go say na arogance, if we complain na low esteem. Wetin igbo really do una?
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by nabiz(m): 6:47pm On Feb 21
MyChoice1:
Sorry to say this, you are part of the problem engulfing this country right now, 5mil worth of food stuff? Just for only you?
Infact I still blame the govt that once said is it statistics we go chop? If not they would have foreseen this abnormal food hoarding movement right on time and take drastic action to control it.

oga forget this period. Storage business have been helping Nigeria. Do local Nigeria farmers have facility to store food.

Which assistance have government given to farmers. Some farmers took loan to farm. At the end of the farming season they need to sell the farm product to pay back their loan. This is how we come in. We only come in to help government store the food they can't reserve. I think by now government should open a food bank but there is no food in the reserve. It is the food we store that will sustain the citizens to the next faming season. Go to benue state during mango and orange season and see how the are usless. There is no fruit concentration to preserve those food. What do you think will happen to fruit juice manufacturers in no fruit is store at the fruit season

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by yommen: 6:52pm On Feb 21
nabiz:
it also foolish not to read and understand. I use the word 'may not affect igbo MUCH'

Stop writing rubbish. Some Igbos are even worst hit by the current situation. Or how do you want to explain it when Igbos are selling their children for 50k to feed? Talk something else.

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by yommen: 6:59pm On Feb 21
nabiz:
which igbo politicians. Ever since people like you and orji uzor kalu started licking their ax have the made you president? Individually ar you not living better than their children. We dont need igbo politicians again. Let the continue to rile Nigeria. One day they will beg igbo man to came a deliver them, that is if they can truly humble themselves and shun bride. They are now begging people from abia state to join police, the same way they will destroy this nation that if the nation has not been destroyed

Have you Igbos delivered yourselves? Are SE states the best ruled in Nigeria? Deliver yourself and turn your states to the likes Dubai and Europe first before coming here to boast of delivering Nigeria.

Awolowo as Premier of the Western Nigeria was doing things in the SW. He built the first sky scraper in Africa with cocoa money with oil money. That's a land mark, guy. If not for the way things eventually went, you are all no where to be found.

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by chidiokay: 7:05pm On Feb 21
ibechris:

U are a smart igbo man...pls,remove Sharifs name and keep it away from these wolves and vultures.

I have stored food in my house,tomatoes,beans,rice and now,I need a bag of milk to complete what I want.

That you bought food items to store is that suppose to be a threat, whatever food items you buy can it last 1year, asides rice, garri and wheat, most food items are perishable so its just a matter of time

hope you have stored gas, fish/meat and lots of chicken as well abi you go dey chop am raw

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Emibolt: 7:14pm On Feb 21
nabiz:
if you want to buy you can Google sheriff. He is on this forum. He is a nice guy. You can follow his price update in this forum. Pls check very well. I dont know if not is still allowing foom to come south in big Quantities, unless you are not from the south
Please I couldn't find his price update. He has only five posts on nairaland. Please copy and paste one of his price update post link for me🙏
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by nabiz(m): 7:37pm On Feb 21
Emibolt:

Please I couldn't find his price update. He has only five posts on nairaland. Please copy and paste one of his price update post link for me🙏
https://www.nairaland.com/4907998/updated-price-grains-location/110#128381091
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Greenback: 7:39pm On Feb 21
FIR GOD'S SAKE, WON'T YOU GUYS LEAVE THE IGBOS ALONE?!!!!!!

IS NAIRALAND ALL ABOUT THE IGBOS?!!!!
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by aswani(m): 8:17pm On Feb 21
reXurrectionZA:
"arrogant is the attitude of a god." I am proud of my people, and you should also be proud of yours. I am not stopping you, it is a free world... If igbo celebrate you go say na arogance, if we complain na low esteem. Wetin igbo really do una?

Ndigbo no do mi anytin.

There is a fine line between chest beating and pride and in my opinion, based on your non abusive response, you are clearly being proud.

To that end, I apologise wholeheartedly for misconstruing your intentions.
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Typing: 8:49pm On Feb 21
julaion:
and this heat go kill ur families na grin

E go start with yours

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Typing: 8:52pm On Feb 21
julaion:
and this heat go kill ur families na grin

E go start from yours

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Typing: 9:01pm On Feb 21
BrodaBenad:

Your papa dey ? cheesy

Have you heard what is called wealth distribution

Na there wealth distribution be this abi? grin
Small time,una go dey call unaself millionaire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Typing: 9:12pm On Feb 21
reXurrectionZA:
yes poor people dey everywhere, But igbo has the highest number of rich(millionaires) in Nigeria as well as Africa. An average igbo man even if you put am for prision em go still find something to sell. We love MONEY, We are SOLUTION SEEKERS, We are PROUD and We are HARDWORKING. THAT IS THE NATURE OF A TRUE IGBO MAN. and that is why anyhow e be igbo man must CHOP.

Audio rich people. Na online una money dey

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Notasyouthink: 1:02pm On Feb 22
Typing:

Seems you've never been to Onitsha. Over 80% of their men are Agb$ros
But no agbero stopped people from voting in Onisha or anywhere in SE the way mc oluomo and his gang did in SW.

Have you seen that you are an irredeemable liar.
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by aswani(m): 3:57pm On Feb 22
Notasyouthink:
But no agbero stopped people from voting in Onisha or anywhere in SE the way mc oluomo and his gang did in SW.

Have you seen that you are an irredeemable liar.

That's good to hear
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by julaion: 4:45pm On Feb 22
Typing:

E go start from yours
e pain ur papa grin grin
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Konquest: 3:06am On Mar 17
nabiz:
2006 when buhari became a president. I know i studied his body language and advice Nigerians on how to survive on this thread. https://www.nairaland.com/2811049/how-survive-2016-expected-economic

Some called me a prophet of doom, but when Buhari started dealing with them, the started to edit their post and called me a prophet. I am not a prophet. As an igbo business man, I only have the ability to see the future base on data available to me.

This year January told my oga a Yoruba who is a nairalander here to store food. He said no that he want to use his money to buy a contruction equipment for rental. I tried all I can to discourage him because I know in time like this contruction will not move but he refused. I even beg him to store the food and resale it by July and still buy the equipment with change he refused and went ahead to buy the equipment. Till now he has not rent out this equipment. Cement has increased and no chance breaking even the cost of this machine in the nearest future.

I told him I want to buy food he started laughing at me. Even jokingly called my wife to discourage me. Their laugh did not move me. I came online to start learning about food storage. I spent 2 day and night to study food storage. I can in contact with a good hausa friend on this nairaland. His user name is shariff84. Who help me buy food from. The north. I also get another woman from benue state to by for me. All my storage cost me about 5miill

I bought this food last month and within this January/ February some of the food have double while my friend is yet to make any rent. eg beans garri, rice, yarm etc.

What am I trying to say

We Igbos are mostly traders. As trader you are very closer to market data and trend. A trader can easily analyze and focast the likely future price of good unlike a civil servant. A hausa man is also in a good position to focus the future price of Agriculture but they don't because everything is the will of God, and beliefs that When the time comes God will provide.

To average igbo man everything is about business
To housa man everything is about religion
To a Yoruba man everything is about entertainment.

The supposed advice you gave to your friend was in order.

Your post made some sense UNTIL you posted in the last 2 paragraphs and stated that Yorubas (who are over 50 million people in terms of population) only know "entertainment" while Ibos are traders, and that Hausas of over 70 million don't know anything but religion and the "will of God" even though they are into agriculture.

That comment you made portrayed you as as being boastful or a braggart and is insulting and misleading! But I will counter what you posted here with REAL facts so that others are NOT misled.

Second, there are many Yoruba folks that have been into the food or agricultural storage business for many decades, even for centuries by travelling from the North to Western Nigeria OR Western Nigeria to Niger Republic or from the West to other African countries to buy and sell agri commodities as big time traders.
There are many Yoruba business people in the far North of Nigeria such as Kano, Kaduna, Niger, Jos, and in Funtua. In Funtua for instance, there are Yorubas living there for many decades now called Yarbawan Funtua (Funtua Yorubas) who are into big time trading. You would not easily know some of them are Yorubas until you are told because they have blended into those Hausa communities and speak fluent Hausa. Many Yorubas who are Muslims are able to blend in faster and integrate into the Northern communities. These are facts that I have gleaned from reading about the economic and business histories of global communities and ethnic groups.

There is also a huge Yoruba community in Ghana that founded Makola market in Accra, Ghana, which is the biggest market in Accra. Makola is a market that was named after Mokola market in Ibadan. For over 300 years now, Yorubas were involved in long-distance trading between Oyo Empire and the Ashanti Empire so, that is how Yorubas and their descendants first got to Ghana area. [Even the Ga ethnic group who are indigenes of Accra are of Yoruba bloodline and their king paid a royal visit to the Ooni of Ife in 2022 to maintain the historic bond between the Gas and Yorubaland where their forefathers came from, and the story was even posted here on Nairaland].

There's also close to 3 million Yorubas officially in Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire) doing international business, trading, and working as professionals. Some have even become Ivorian citizens and many are originally indigenes of Ejigbo Kingdom in Osun State and nearby Yoruba towns and they speak French in that town despite NOT being on an international border. I flew to Abidjan from Lagos in 1988 for the first time on a Nigeria Airways Airbus A310 and was surprised to see a lot of Yorubas in the very beautiful city of Abidjan and the Yorubas have been there for over 100 years due to long-distance trading activities that took them there.

So, the last two paragraphs of your post are condescending and it shows that you DON'T know the histories of Yorubas, Hausas, and other ethnicities very well for you to conclude that others don't know about trading or business. Some of you folks of Ibo origin should stop being boastful and insular by thinking that you are the only ones that are traders or have rich people. Other ethnic groups are rich and are into big time trading, import and export, but they don't brag or boast about these things. (All ethnic groups have their own share of rich and poor folks too based on the fact that people take advantage of opportunities faster than others).

Last but not least, I have originally been a member of Nairaland since 2005 and I know that the first food storage guy and storage training I EVER saw on Nairaland was from a Yoruba Nairalander and even many Yorubas on Nairaland who are into big time food storage business, also source food items from the North and elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Konquest: 4:23am On Mar 17
Putinofrussia:

Forget about ranking.
According to Forbes and Bloomberg who are the only two authentic wealth ranking entities in the world,Hausa/Fulani have 2 dollar billionaires,Yoruba have 4 dollar billionaires while Igbos have none.

What I really meant was during regionalism,when they were given the opportunity to showcase what ingenuity or blah, blah, blah that they have,they failed woefully.
"2024 FORBES & BLOOMBERG Billionaire Index"

6 USD Billionaires of Nigerian Descent.
1] Aliko Dangote (Hausa) Nigeria.

2] Abdulsamad Isyaku-Rabiu (Abdulsamad has a direct Kanuri paternal grandfather and pure Fulani grandmother) Nigeria.

3] Mike Adenuga (Yoruba) Nigeria.

4] Tope Awotona (Yoruba) Nigerian-American.

7] Bayo Ogunlesi (Yoruba) Nigerian-American.

8] Femi Otedola (Yoruba) Nigeria.

NOTE:
Abdulsamad Isyaku-Rabiu is NOT paternally a Hausa OR Fulani, but is a KANURI via his paternal grandfather who married a pure Fulani woman who is his grandmother who gave birth to the late Kano-based business mogul and Tijanniya member, Khalifa Isyaku Rabiu).

Source:
=>https://ummeetaarabiu./2018/05/10/my-grandfather-khalifa-sheikh-isyaku-rabiu/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by ElSudani: 4:26am On Mar 17
nabiz:
because our wealth are distributed evenly and not one man pocketing our destiny. It is also ignorance for you to say dangote and they like are the richest men in nigeria.many people are rcher than dangote in this your country but they dont make noise. How many people have the richest man in the world touched their like. Even Tony elumelu who is not the richest man has touched African life more than all your usless richest men in your list

Who are the people who are richer than Dangote in Nigeria? Why don't you name two of them? All these kids sef.

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Lifestone(m): 4:59am On Mar 17
ibechris:

U don't buy under the same market...that is what he just told u now.

He buys and stored which one did u store ? How is it the same market?
I laugh when you guys talk like this. Have you ever been to Kano grains market? My people, Yoruba will say if you haven't been to another person father's farm you will be bragging about that your father's farm is the biggest. If people open their warehouse for you in Saki, Oyo State, the guy will close his mouth in shock.
Problems with Igbos is that they brag too much. it has always been so, it's in their DNA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Konquest: 5:17am On Mar 17
Lifestone:

I laugh when you guys talk like this. Have you ever been to Kano grains market? My people, Yoruba will say if you haven't been to another person father's farm you will be bragging about that your father's farm is the biggest. If people open their warehouse for you in Saki, Oyo State, the guy will close his mouth in shock.
Problems with Igbos is that they brag too much. it has always been so, it's in their DNA
True that.
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by oyatz(m): 8:13am On Mar 17
nabiz:
keep consoling yourself. I am also in enugu now at centenary city. An average igbo man is laughing at this present Nigeria condition. Not that it is not affecting the but not the way it will affect other people. If this get much in the east you see individual distributing food to the lesser privileged while your richest men in Africa will be flying around the world

Your understanding of the economy is shallow.

If Chinedu, Nnamdi and Okechukwu ,who are traders selling electronics, clothes and plastic tanks increase the prices of their goods to adjust, then the will go to buy from other people selling meat, rice, granites, medications and even 'school fees and transport fares', all of which have also increased.

In all of these, it is people with fixed incomes like salary earners that will be worse hit followed by people producing or dealing in non-essential commodities e.g Hair dressers selling Brazilian and Malaysian hair, traders /importers of wines ,electronics etc.

The purchasing powers of the people to buy imported items have reduced due to the exchange rates. However, producers of exported items like Cocoa, Kolanuts, Cashew nuts and now food items are making a lot of money.

100kg of Cocoa bean is now being sold around #700,000.
A trailer load of corn cost about #18 million

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by ibechris(m): 2:01pm On Mar 19
Lifestone:

U are too inferior.

Where in his comment did anyone mention tribe here.

Grow up and see issue from a humanistic point of views and not tribal.
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Lifestone(m): 2:55pm On Mar 19
ibechris:

U are too inferior.

Where in his comment did anyone mention tribe here.

Grow up and see issue from a humanistic point of views and not tribal.

His topic of this thread.
I think you should think before you type.
Igbos are too loud and boastful. Do you know how many people brought produce for storage, certainly not only Igbo.
That's my point to him.
Igbos in Kwara State have shut their stores to punish their customers because government is asking them to pay tax. Such attitudes as these brings resentment to a people. Nsogbu, Nsogbu Everytime.

2 Likes

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by ibechris(m): 8:41pm On Mar 19
Lifestone:

His topic of this thread.
I think you should think before you type.
Igbos are too loud and boastful. Do you know how many people brought produce for storage, certainly not only Igbo.
That's my point to him.
Igbos in Kwara State have shut their stores to punish their customers because government is asking them to pay tax. Such attitudes as these brings resentment to a people. Nsogbu, Nsogbu Everytime.

Igbos are achievers and not like ur tribe that enjoy doing juju for for their tenants.

However,it takes an achiever to speak of his progress. U only get angry because of u are a liability onto yourself.

Shame!
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Lifestone(m): 1:47am On Mar 20
ibechris:

Igbos are achievers and not like ur tribe that enjoy doing juju for for their tenants.

However,it takes an achiever to speak of his progress. U only get angry because of u are a liability onto yourself.

Shame!
Typical of an Igbo. Boastful.

1 Like

Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by ibechris(m): 6:21am On Mar 20
Lifestone:

Typical of an Igbo. Boastful.

U have nothing to talk about yourself that is why u get angry when people talk about their progress.

I think u should hide ur head in shame man.
Re: Why This Food Economic And Food Scarcity May Not Affect Igbos Much by Lifestone(m): 2:06pm On Mar 20
ibechris:

U have nothing to talk about yourself that is why u get angry when people talk about their progress.

I think u should hide ur head in shame man.
Lol. I hear you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Is Now Dividing The North / Ibori Uk Trial: Rent-a-crowd "demonstration"2moro In London In Favour Of Ibori / Boko Haram: Woman Caught Trying To Set Church Ablaze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.